*Official* Denon AVR-1911/791 & AVR-2311CI/891 Owner's Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-04-2010, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, I'm a couple tweaks away from having this thing setup they way I want it. A couple hangups though.

1. Z2 seems lit up by default on most inputs. Is this normal? Does it matter if it's on or not? Is is affecting anything? Perhaps this has to do with amp assignments? I'm not running a Z2 and have a 5.1 setup.

2. I don't know how this happened but when I hit menu from my remote on the SAT input, the actual DirecTV menu comes up on the screen! WTF?! The actual DirectTV menu not the Denon one! How the heck did this happen? Maybe the codes are the same or something? I can get into the Denon menu manually on the unit, but from the remote, it's DirecTV. Very strange.

3. I'm having trouble getting the menus to come up at all via remote on several inputs - For example, I push DVD on the remote which is my PS3, it clearly switches to PS3 but when I hit menu, nothing. It doesn't seem to be trying to get the DirecTV menu up either because the light on the HD-DVR does not blink as it does when it's on the SAT input.

4. On the Game input I'm running a Toshiba HD DVD player. When I call up the menu on the unit (again, can't get it via remote) it's been re-sized and/or stretched. The top and bottom of the menu are cut off! I checked the setup on the Toshiba and everything looked OK (16:9) so I'm not sure what I'm missing here.

5. Is Multi-Channel Stereo the same as 5 channel for music CD listening?

Thanks in advance and HAPPY 4th!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2010, 01:28 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2034 Post(s)
Liked: 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by miked2023 View Post

1. Z2 seems lit up by default on most inputs. Is this normal? Does it matter if it's on or not? Is is affecting anything? Perhaps this has to do with amp assignments? I'm not running a Z2 and have a 5.1 setup.

Although you can turn Zone 2 OFF, all amps draw from the same single power supply. If there are no speakers connected to the Zone 2 speaker posts, then there is no power being drawn away from your main zone 5.1 setup.

Quote:

2. I don't know how this happened but when I hit menu from my remote on the SAT input, the actual DirecTV menu comes up on the screen! WTF?! The actual DirectTV menu not the Denon one! How the heck did this happen? Maybe the codes are the same or something? I can get into the Denon menu manually on the unit, but from the remote, it's DirecTV. Very strange.

Strange if it happened on last year's models, not so much with the new 2011 models as Denon has pre-stored (791 - p. 60) remote codes for various components (mostly Denon), although for the SAT/CBL input the remote uses the DirecTV remote code. In order to get the Denon's menu you're apparently going to have to select AMP first otherwise the buttons will be reacting as they would using the pre-stored component remote codes for the input source you have selected (which may end up being nothing at all).

Quote:

3. I'm having trouble getting the menus to come up at all via remote on several inputs - For example, I push DVD on the remote which is my PS3, it clearly switches to PS3 but when I hit menu, nothing. It doesn't seem to be trying to get the DirecTV menu up either because the light on the HD-DVR does not blink as it does when it's on the SAT input.

4. On the Game input I'm running a Toshiba HD DVD player. When I call up the menu on the unit (again, can't get it via remote) it's been re-sized and/or stretched. The top and bottom of the menu are cut off! I checked the setup on the Toshiba and everything looked OK (16:9) so I'm not sure what I'm missing here.

See #2 above.

Quote:

5. Is Multi-Channel Stereo the same as 5 channel for music CD listening?

No. Multi channel stereo directs a discrete signal to each speaker while 5 CH stereo simply puts the left stereo channel to all speakers on the left, and the right stereo channel to all speakers on the right and then mixes the two channels and sends it to the center speaker.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 07-05-2010, 10:43 AM

I have a Denon 891 and I would like to set up speakers on my patio. I was just about to go out and buy the speakers but I took a quick look at the instruction manual and it says that HDMI cannot be used with Zone 2, so I have to use RCA cables. This creates a problem as I currently use my PS3 as a DLNA server to stream music and my PS3 is connected with HDMI. Does anybody have a good, relatively inexpensive workaround? Can the PS3 use HDMI and RCA at the same time or would I have to manually change the audio output mode on the PS3 every time I want to listen to music outside?
Old 07-05-2010, 11:13 AM
585-645-1006

Yes, as of about Oct 2009, the PS3 can output audio via two different outputs at the same time. Simply set the PS3 setting Multi Audio Output to yes. It will reduce your HDMI to 5.1 and the second output (digital or analog) will be limited to 2.0.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
Old 07-06-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Yes, as of about Oct 2009, the PS3 can output audio via two different outputs at the same time. Simply set the PS3 setting Multi Audio Output to yes. It will reduce your HDMI to 5.1 and the second output (digital or analog) will be limited to 2.0.

Thanks. Now I'm a little unsure how I should setup Zone 2 with my PS3 as far as inputs are concerned. Should I connect the RCA cables from the PS3 to a different and dedicated input on the receiver or should I plug them into the DVD input - The same input i'm currently using for my PS3 via HDMI?

I may want to simultaneously have the main Zone and Zone 2 playing at the same time if I have a party. Is this possible with this configuration?

On a side note, I will be using my PSP to control my PS3 music streaming outside on the patio. This works great and is an excellent alternative to a Squeezebox or Sonos (in certain applications, such as mine).
Old 07-06-2010, 10:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1164 Post(s)
Liked: 1601
Quote:

Now I'm a little unsure how I should setup Zone 2 with my PS3 as far as inputs are concerned. Should I connect the RCA cables from the PS3 to a different and dedicated input on the receiver or should I plug them into the DVD input - The same input i'm currently using for my PS3 via HDMI?

you "double up" on the same input name -- the idea is that, whatever "zone" you select the "DVD/PS3" input, you hear the PS3.

Quote:

I may want to simultaneously have the main Zone and Zone 2 playing at the same time if I have a party. Is this possible with this configuration?

yes, of course. Main Zone and Zone 2 have independent source and volume control, so if you want them to be the same, go to it!

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Old 07-06-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

you "double up" on the same input name -- the idea is that, whatever "zone" you select the "DVD/PS3" input, you hear the PS3.

yes, of course. Main Zone and Zone 2 have independent source and volume control, so if you want them to be the same, go to it!

You are the best Batpig, thanks very much!
Old 07-06-2010, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question buds...
just sold the yamaha 765 2 days back....Cant listen the sound from TV..god..
Is it a good buy : Denon 2311 for $669? Comparing to Onkyo 708..I am not asking each features....just overall...Wait for onkyo 708 or go for Denon 2311..
Speakers: Monitor 70's, CS10, RM 8 surrounds - Velodyne subwoofer.

(just for info: Denon 3311 for $879..i am not interested for this receiver...this is for my living room..)

My First DIY Screen 120" Laminate Screen

Ongoing Build Thread Madras Talkies
Old 07-06-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:

in the manual it claims that it can play music files from a connected USB drive. See pg 27 of the 1911 manual -- it will support MP3, WMA, and AAC from USB drives formatted with FAT16 or FAT32 file structures.

I do not see the utility for audiophiles with large collections in Apple, or other, lossless formats where a FAT32 drive can hold diddly squat of those.

edit : no offense meant, but when I see "USB drive" I think of a 1TB SATA in an USB enclosure like you would use for a computer.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:04 AM

How does the AVR-891 stack upto last years AVR-890.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Madness View Post

How does the AVR-891 stack upto last years AVR-890.

In my humble experience, very similarly in respects of audio quality. While I have really enjoy my 891, I would not recommend folks spending the additional $300 over the 2310/890 unless they are buying a 3D tv set in the next year or so. The 2310 at under $500 is an incredible value. Moreover, 3D is a moving target and I worry that in addition to the premium paid for early adoption, there is a high likelihood that wrinkes if not outright bugs will appear in the early days (ie the flickering and audio level decreases some 3d users have claimed).

It's my recommendation (and be it unsolicited) that you buy a higher spec'd non hdmi 1.3 and get a dual hdmi output bdp like the panny 350 if you are going down the 3d route now.

I personally think there is something to be said of letting the technology stabilize/improve in addition to letting prices settle a bit on the 3d display side.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:21 AM

Winston....when can we expect that 891 review on your site?
Old 07-07-2010, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_w View Post

Winston....when can we expect that 891 review on your site?

pretty soon. one year old birthday parties have sidelined me a bit
Old 07-07-2010, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

pretty soon. one year old birthday parties have sidelined me a bit

I can relate to that...happy b-day to the little one!
Old 07-07-2010, 02:51 PM

I am in the market for AV receiver and considering 1910 or 1911. I got an offer from an authorized Denon dealer on 1910 for $325 or 1911 for $425 or 2311 for $625. I am not really very good at which one to choose.

I appreciate if someone help me choose the correct receiver. I have a Sony XBR and Panasonic Blu Ray and Bose Life Style setup. I also want to use the old DVD player for kids stuff. I use the receiver for watching TV, Music and Movies mostly.

Thanks in advance. This is my first post. If I posted this at a wrong place pardon me.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

you should read through the FAQ on page 1 (post #4). I cover the specific feature differences among the models, as well as addressing the question of whether to get a new model or a model from last year on closeout pricing.

in general, if you don't care about 3D, getting one of xx10 models (e.g 1910 or 2310) is a no brainer. The only major additions to the entry-level models for the xx11 lineup are 3D support (HDMI 1.4) and the front-panel USB port for connecting an ipod / iphone (or other mp3 / usb device).

that being said.... the Bose Lifestyle is an all-on-one integrated setup right? It is all controlled from that main DVD player / receiver unit, which also powers the speakers, right? I don't think that system can integrate with a standalone AV receiver.

Do you want to keep the Bose Lifestyle, and if so, why are you "in the market" for a new receiver? What do need that your current system doesn't support? If you are in the market for a full upgrade, you should consider selling the Lifestyle as a package (Bose has great resale value) and getting a new set of real speakers to get the most out of your new receiver.

Setup Guide and FAQ

Old 07-07-2010, 03:17 PM

Thank you for the quick reply.

I am planning on complete upgrade and decided on the aperion speakers. I read the #4 post on the first page. After reading I have a question about the remote and the ARC. Does the 2009 model TV's support ARC? If I consider going with the xx10 models how bad is the remote? Do I have to get a new universal remote along with the receiver to manage. Thanks
Old 07-07-2010, 03:32 PM
585-645-1006

In order to support the ARC feature, an HDTV must have an HDMI 1.4 jack as well as offer the feature itself. This is in addition to the AVR offering the feature as well. The Denon remote is only as bad as you think it is. Some folks find using a Harmony remote much easier while others find the Denon remote meets their needs just fine.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:

there is no "special" speaker wire you need, just get the cheap stuff from monoprice.

banana plugs are strongly recommended for connecting to the back of the unit. The speaker terminals will take bare wire but it is so much easier with banana plugs; you can get those from monoprice also: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

batpig

I'm learning so much about the Devon's from you. I've always "hard" wired my speakers and cannot wait to try out those plugs. I've already ordered them and some CL2 wire. My current wire is 5 years old and I have a cat so I figured the extra casing might help. It was only $40 bucks for 250 feet so I think no big deal.

I kept going back and forth between the 2311CI and 3311CI. I liked the extra features of the 33, but did not want to pay at first so ordered a 2311 from Amazon. I have PRIME 2 day delivery so 2 hours later when I changed my mind it was too late to cancel. Perhaps hooking my MacBook Pro to it might get me Flickr, etc. that I liked the idea of.

Thanks again and for your site.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

just as an FYI, the upcoming AVR 991 model is sort of a "middle ground model" between the 2311 and 3311 both in features and price point. If you are a little gun shy about the cost of the 3311, the 991 "twin" model will offer everything that the 3311 has (including MultEQ XT and network features) at only a slightly higher price point than the 2311.

The 991 is basically a 3311 with no pre-outs, no front HDMI input, one one HDMI output, and the "CI" features stripped out (so no Zone 3, no RS-232 serial control, no enhanced multizone features, no 12V triggers). But you do get the better amps, MultEQ XT, Audyssey DSX, networking, AL24+ processing, etc. of the 3311 model... so you get your Flickr, Pandora, etc. stuff at a slightly lower price point.

not to throw a wrench in the gears just food for thought!

Setup Guide and FAQ

Old 07-07-2010, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by qool View Post

I am in the market for AV receiver and considering 1910 or 1911. I got an offer from an authorized Denon dealer on 1910 for $325 or 1911 for $425 or 2311 for $625.

I recently purchased a 1910 and can say that's currently a great price.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I am new to HT. I am going to be running Polk Monitor 70's, 60's and a CS2 Center (No sub). I can either buy a Denon AVR-1910 for $330 or a Denon 1911 for $420 (both brand new). Can anyone please help me decide! The dealer sorta told me it was a no brainer and to choose the 1911 but I wanted to get opinions on here first.

MY NAME IS SUE!!! HOW DO YOU DO!!!

"I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it."
Old 07-07-2010, 06:36 PM
585-645-1006

Me thinks the dealer just wants his commission ....

It boils down to what features you need .. if you don't need 3D (HDMI 1.4) or USB or HD Radio, then the 1910 is the better choice.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Me thinks the dealer just wants his commission ....

It boils down to what features you need .. if you don't need 3D (HDMI 1.4) or USB or HD Radio, then the 1910 is the better choice.

Is that price on that AVR-1911 a steal? or is it average?

Old 07-07-2010, 07:02 PM
585-645-1006

Guess you missed post #472 just prior to your previous post?

Old 07-07-2010, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Guess you missed post #472 just prior to your previous post?

Actually I did, haha. I guess ill stick with the 1910 then.. I just figured for the small price difference between the two would make it a "no brainer' , but I guess not.? Im a little confused but that's alright.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:36 PM
585-645-1006

The $100 savings is much better spent towards a sub as those Polk M70's don't go down too far.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The $100 savings is much better spent towards a sub as those Polk M70's don't go down too far.

Ok, ill take your advice!

Old 07-08-2010, 04:16 PM

Hey guys, i was backtracking to a couple of posts before i posted this on this thread and couldn't find anything specific to my problem, so here goes.

I had a Pioneer VSX 919 hooked up to my :

Energy CB-20
Energy Mini center
Polk Audio Rti4 (rears)
Velodyne 3750

and recently purchased a Denon 791

When i had my Pioneer i noticed that even at -35 db, my sound used to be crisp and accurate especially the Velodyne. After getting the Denon i noticed that even at -20/25 db, music and movies sound muted/muffled and the sub is no where near powerful/punchy as it was with the pioneer.

I did the Audessey setup for the speakers at the beginning and fixed the sub from -12.0 db to -5.0 db and while it was slightly better, it was still not near what it used to be. The velodyne is on "Direct" mode so all the low frequencies are output from it and it was working perfectly fine.

At the beginning of the Audessey setup i selected Zone 2 as the default, is that ok or should i select "Normal"?

If there is a thread that you guys can provide or better yet help me fix the problem it would much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

first off, you can't really compare volume numbers between different brands of receivers....

but, most importantly, is Dynamic Volume on? the default setting (midnight) is very aggressive in how much it compresses the sound dynamics, so it could explain the "muffled" sound you are hearing.

you should also ensure that all speakers are set to SMALL, and make sure the crossover on those CB-20's is at least 80Hz so you know the bass is going to the subwoofer.

"Zone 2" is the correct amp assign setting for a 5.1 setup....

Setup Guide and FAQ

Tags
Denon Avr 791 Receiver , Denon Avr 1911 Receiver , Denon Avr 891 Receiver , Denon Avr 2311ci Receiver
Gear in this thread