Forum Jump: 

Old 07-28-2010, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1145 Post(s)
Liked: 1589
you are still on the wrong input on your TV

YPbPr = component video (not red/white/yellow, which is known as "composite" video/audio). You still haven't got your TV on the right input.

switch your TV to the HDMI input that the receiver is connected to!

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2010, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

you are still on the wrong input on your TV

YPbPr = component video (not red/white/yellow, which is known as "composite" video/audio). You still haven't got your TV on the right input.

switch your TV to the HDMI input that the receiver is connected to!

I got the Panasonic G25 42 a few days ago. If this will help you help me.
As far as i can tell both are on same HDMI.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

what happens when you plug the cable box directly into the TV via that same HDMI-1 input? (i.e. bypassing the receiver)

Setup Guide and FAQ

Old 07-28-2010, 11:54 AM

Hey guys, I just bought a AVR-591 from best buy. It was an open box so I am worried something might be wrong with it.

Issue 1#

If I connect anything to Audio in Sat / CBL I get no audio in. I had my Nintendo Wii connected to those audio ports and the video connected to the Sat/CBL video in (which is odd that its not right next to it by the way) when I switched the receiver to sat/cbl I saw the Wii video signal on the TV but no audio. I found that by moving the Wii to the DVD audio in and video in that there was no problems.

Issue 2#

I have my TV audio out cables connected to the "Dock" input since the Sat/cbl input doesnt work. When I press "TV" on my remote to change channels on my TV the audio cuts out. I went to the menus to select different input sources for the TV audio and none of them produced sound when I press the TV button.

What am I doing wrong?
Old 07-28-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:

what happens when you plug the cable box directly into the TV via that same HDMI-1 input? (i.e. bypassing the receiver)

I have one HDMI cable from receiver to cable box the other from receiver monitor to tv HDMI monitor.

lost_controler ... Sure wish i had answers for you.
i'm sure someone knows answers you are seeking.
Welcome to the forum.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_controler View Post

Hey guys, I just bought a AVR-591 from best buy. It was an open box so I am worried something might be wrong with it.

Issue 1#

If I connect anything to Audio in Sat / CBL I get no audio in. I had my Nintendo Wii connected to those audio ports and the video connected to the Sat/CBL video in (which is odd that its not right next to it by the way) when I switched the receiver to sat/cbl I saw the Wii video signal on the TV but no audio. I found that by moving the Wii to the DVD audio in and video in that there was no problems.

Issue 2#

I have my TV audio out cables connected to the "Dock" input since the Sat/cbl input doesnt work. When I press "TV" on my remote to change channels on my TV the audio cuts out. I went to the menus to select different input sources for the TV audio and none of them produced sound when I press the TV button.

What am I doing wrong?

Both of your issues have to do with input assignments -- they key thing is for you to get a grasp of the fact that input selections are dynamic, you can assign and move around which inputs are associated with which "names".

for example, when you are pressing the "TV" button on the remote, you are switching away from the "Dock" input to the "TV" input. Ideally, the TV audio out from the display should feed the "TV" input on the AVR. Doesn't your TV have a digital audio output?

You should click on the link in my signature and read through the setup guide, it may help make things clear. I would probably give your receiver a full microprocessor reset (since it was an open box) just to make sure you are starting setup with a clean slate.

Setup Guide and FAQ

Old 07-28-2010, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntechbug View Post

I have one HDMI cable from receiver to cable box the other from receiver monitor to tv HDMI monitor.

you didn't answer my question did you even read what I wrote?

UNPLUG the cable box from the receiver, and plug the HDMI straight into the tv, BYPASSING THE RECEIVER, so you can verify that (1) the cable box is working and (2) the TV's input is working.

Setup Guide and FAQ

Old 07-28-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:

Issue 1#

Issue 2#

What am I doing wrong?

Regarding issue #2... Do you mean the white TV button toward the top of the remote? If so, that is telling your receiver to look at the TV input... which is precisely why your audio cuts out.... you're using the DOCK input. Press the white "DOCK" button then using your TV remote change channels and see if that works.

I still have not gotten around to using the 591's remote as a universal remote, but I bet it's not that great (like every other universal I've tried). So I have no tips there.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

you need to try a REAL universal, like a Harmony. The half-assed "universal" remotes (like the Denon remote or your cable/sat box remote), where you have to punch in pre-set codes to get devices to hopefully work, can barely be called "universal".

Setup Guide and FAQ

Old 07-28-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:

you need to try a REAL universal, like a Harmony. The half-assed "universal" remotes (like the Denon remote or your cable/sat box remote), where you have to punch in pre-set codes to get devices to hopefully work, can barely be called "universal".

I've heard good things about the harmony... but it's just not worth the cost. I'm down to just needing 2 remotes, which is not worth the money for the Harmony to solve.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

the only people who don't think it's worth the cost are the ones who don't own one yet

if you can handle the two remotes and you know how to work your system of course you are fine, but try that with a wife and/or kids around.... a REAL universal remote is a lifesaver.

Setup Guide and FAQ

Old 07-28-2010, 12:42 PM

Hey batpig,

Thanks for the response. I am aware that pressing the TV button switches the audio to another input. I have a two year old hd samsung which has digital audio out but I have it connected by the left right (red, white) audio wires whatever those are called. Is there a way to change the TV button to use the input for the wires I connected? I dont want to use the digital audio out I just want to use the cable that worked fine with my Onkyo. My old Onkyo receiver did this and I had no problems... until the Onkyo overheated and died two years later.

As for issue 1 that I brought up I think the connection is dead. If I press the Cbl button on the remote I get no sound through that connection. As I said my Nintendo Wii works with the DVD audio input but not the sat/cbl input which suggests the input is not working. Unless there is a setting that disables that input which would make no sense. Or there is a setting that changes the sat/cbl button to not use that input. I should say that my PS3 which is connected via HDMI to the sat/cbl input for HDMI works fine audio/video wise.

I hope I am making sense. I will read your write up about how to setup the receiver.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:46 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1962 Post(s)
Liked: 1745
Quote:

Issue 1#

As you got an open box unit, it's possible the INPUT MODE for the SAT/CBL input got changed to either "HDMI" or "Digital" vice the default of "Auto" or what would also work "Analog". Check that setting. However, as bp suggested, with open box items you ALWAYS want to "reset the microprocessor" (p. 70) before getting started as you don't know whether the AVR was used and if so, what settings were changed by the previous owner.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 07-28-2010, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I have a two year old hd samsung which has digital audio out but I have it connected by the left right (red, white) audio wires whatever those are called.

I understand that -- switch to the digital audio out and use the "TV" input and your problem is solved

Quote:

Is there a way to change the TV button to use the input for the wires I connected?

no -- the analog RCA input (red/white) are non-assignable so are "stuck" with whatever name they are labeled with. That is precisely WHY you should switch to the digital audio out from your TV

Setup Guide and FAQ

Old 07-28-2010, 12:53 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdameron View Post

I've heard good things about the harmony... but it's just not worth the cost. I'm down to just needing 2 remotes, which is not worth the money for the Harmony to solve.

If you read through these threads as often as bp and I do, you'd realize that a Harmony has been a lifesaver for many. It's not for you ... it's for your wife or girlfriend or the kids as bp notes.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
Old 07-28-2010, 12:53 PM

Ok thanks for the advice, after work I will give it a reset and see what happens.

Before work I tried changing the inputs in menu but looking at batpig's (its hard to type that name and be serious) guide, there might be more than just the inputs that I can change, I think I looked at the input modes but not "assigning the inputs" as he talks about. I selected the "TV" input and it was assigned to digital and but I was confused because it looked like the options were HDMI 1,2,3,4 which my tv doesnt have an hdmi out so thats a no. And I could also choose digital or component I think. Nothing to do with picking the sat/cable input. There must be more options I missed in a different menu.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:02 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

I have a two year old hd samsung which has digital audio out but I have it connected by the left right (red, white) audio wires whatever those are called. Is there a way to change the TV button to use the input for the wires I connected? I dont want to use the digital audio out I just want to use the cable that worked fine with my Onkyo. My old Onkyo receiver did this and I had no problems... until the Onkyo overheated and died two years later.

If you are receiving HD channels you'll want to use the digital cable so you can possibly pass DD 5.1 audio to the 591 rather than the red/white analog cables you're using now. Are you using a cable or satellite box or do you just have the TV cable going straight to the Samsung?

Old 07-28-2010, 01:08 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

I selected the "TV" input and it was assigned to digital and but I was confused because it looked like the options were HDMI 1,2,3,4 which my tv doesnt have an hdmi out so thats a no. And I could also choose digital or component I think. Nothing to do with picking the sat/cable input. There must be more options I missed in a different menu.

Nope. You simply cannot change the INPUT MODE setting to "analog" for the TV input which is why the default is set to "digital".

Old 07-28-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:

you didn't answer my question did you even read what I wrote?

UNPLUG the cable box from the receiver, and plug the HDMI straight into the tv, BYPASSING THE RECEIVER, so you can verify that (1) the cable box is working and (2) the TV's input is working.

Sorry i misunderstood your question.
Thanks for bearing with me.
I did just now and when i turn cable box and tv back on it shows
ch.3.

When i tried it again.. this message keeps popping up that using (HDMI) connection is compromised and
YPbPr connection is required.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:02 PM
585-645-1006

Which tells you the AVR isn't at fault, rather there is something wrong with the HDMI input on the TV itself. Try the other HDMI inputs on the TV to see if you get the same result. If the same, you may have to get the TV serviced.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Which tells you the AVR isn't at fault, rather there is something wrong with the HDMI input on the TV itself. Try the other HDMI inputs on the TV to see if you get the same result. If the same, you may have to get the TV serviced.

Tried different inputs and another cable also.
If i connect YPbPr way. Any special settings?
Thanks.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntechbug View Post

Tried different inputs and another cable also.
If i was connect YPbPr way. Any special settings?
Thanks.

Do you have any other HDMI components? Xbox, PS3, etc? To rule out the HDMI output of the cable box.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:

Do you have any other HDMI components? Xbox, PS3, etc? To rule out the HDMI output of the cable box.

No others.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:10 PM
585-645-1006

Try resetting your cable box. The 591 doesn't have a component output (like the 590 from last year) so if you decide to go that route you'll have to connect a component cable from the cable box to the TV as well as an optical cable to the 591 from the cable box.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Try resetting your cable box. The 591 doesn't have a component output (like the 590 from last year) so if you decide to go that route you'll have to connect a component cable from the cable box to the TV as well as an optical cable to the 591 from the cable box.

Thanks for info.
Will try resetting the cable box.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:09 AM

What is the RMS power rating of the 591, per channel?
Old 07-29-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:

What is the RMS power rating of the 591, per channel?

Have a look at the first post:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post18697012
Old 07-29-2010, 09:45 AM

Question for the experts. I am going to finally hook everything up tonight and I had some questions about my Samsung Blu-Ray. I planned on setting up my audio options on the Blu-Ray as the following....

Digital Output - Bitstream (Audiophile), PCM Down Sampling - OFF and Dynamic Compresion - OFF.

What do you guys think? Are those the best options?
Old 07-29-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejhayes76 View Post

Have a look at the first post:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post18697012

I guess I was more wondering if the 75 watts x 5 channels @ 8 ohms was RMS power or peak power. I'm thinking RMS but was curious as I don't see "RMS" anywhere on the product page.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:38 AM
585-645-1006

The power output of AVRs is generally listed as RMS power which is also the case for Denon AVRs.