*OFFICIAL* Denon AVR 391 / 591 / 1611 Owner's Thread - Page 103 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #3061 of 4624 Old 06-04-2011, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I changed my HDMI setup for the cable box to have HDMI going to TV directly and I used a coax cable to get 5.1 sound from cable box to 1611. I have my BD going to 1611 and an HDMI cable on the ARC HDMI on TV connected to ARC on 1611.

I noticed that the 1611 now shows TV when it is on with TV not sat/cab, I did not change any settings and the cable box remote is still controling the volume. I have not turned HDMI control off yet. Is it possible the TV is sending the sound back to the 1611 via the ARC? Do I even need to use a coax cable? Or is the 1611 getting the sound from the coax but just showing TV on the dispay?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3062 of 4624 Old 06-04-2011, 05:45 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 1345
^^
Yes as it would take priority over the coax digital feed so you can remove it.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3063 of 4624 Old 06-04-2011, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 971
if it says "TV" it's using the whatever audio sources is matched to the TV input. Unless the coax is assigned to "TV" it can't be getting the audio from it when the receiver is on the "TV" input. Sounds like the coax is actually assigned to SAT/CBL? It's impossible for the receiver display to say "TV" but get audio from something assigned to the SAT/CBL input.

it sounds like you are getting audio piped back via ARC, so you probably don't need the coax cable... although instead of asking us, you could simply unplug it and see what happens

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #3064 of 4624 Old 06-04-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

if it says "TV" it's using the whatever audio sources is matched to the TV input. Unless the coax is assigned to "TV" it can't be getting the audio from it when the receiver is on the "TV" input. Sounds like the coax is actually assigned to SAT/CBL? It's impossible for the receiver display to say "TV" but get audio from something assigned to the SAT/CBL input.

it sounds like you are getting audio piped back via ARC, so you probably don't need the coax cable... although instead of asking us, you could simply unplug it and see what happens

Funny you should say that, I unplugged the coax and sound was still pumping out of the speakers. So it looks like audio from a cable box directly connected to my TV (Sony HX8 with ARC) with an HDMI cable and the TV connected to the 1611 via HDMI ARC (different HDMI on TV) will pass the sound. I originally thought that only the sound from the TV tuner from OTA or cable plugged into the TV directly would send sound back to AVR via ARC.

I wonder if the TV would send sound via ARC with an analog connection, not that I have anything that needs to be hooked up this way.
post #3065 of 4624 Old 06-04-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
If you review the Audyssey Setup Guide link in my sig, you'll note is says:

Volume: 12 o'clock or middle position
Phase: 0
Frequency: 150hz

Just run it for 1 position. Check to see what the sub gets set to in the Parameter Check menu. If it's -12db, you'll want to lower the volume to about 10 o'clock. If it's +12db, you'll want to raise the volume to about 2 or 3 o'clock. Then run AUTO SETUP again for 1 position. As long as it's off of either +/-12db, you're good to go, although closer to 0db gives you more room to increase or decrease as preferred with the remote.

Alright will do, thanks again! With your help I was finally up and running full steam by this afternoon.

I still have a lot to learn but in the interest of keeping the thread uncluttered, I'll try my best to fly solo from here
post #3066 of 4624 Old 06-04-2011, 10:10 PM
585-645-1006

No worries ... we're here to help.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #3067 of 4624 Old 06-05-2011, 07:37 PM

All: A couple questions and I think I saw it earlier in one of these pages, but now I can't find it.

I have an AVR-1611 that I'm going to set up shortly. I have the following plans:
Sonos - connected via optical cable
PS3 - connected via HDMI
Cable Box - connected via either HDMI or Component/Coax

I want to be able to watch TV (from cable box) while simultaneously listening to music via the Sonos (connected via optical), doI go with the component/coax route or can I just go HDMI from cable box to 1611?

Basically, will the 1611 pass thru video while audio comes from another source?

Thanks...noobie here.
post #3068 of 4624 Old 06-05-2011, 08:35 PM

Hi everyone, I have a AVR 591 in a 5.1 setup and recently replaced the subwoofer. I had run Audyssey setup, and my old sub was set to -12 dB by the auto setup.

This setting is much too low for the new sub, so I manually changed it to approximately +1.0 dB. It brings the level up and works fine. This is done in menu 4-1-5, btw, in "Channel Level".

The problem is, when I switch to a different source, the setting always reverts back to -12 dB. I generally switch between my "quick sets" #1 and #2, which are my Blu-Ray player and cable DVR (both HDMI). Every time I switch, I have to re-override the Audyssey setting on the subwoofer to +1.0 dB.

Is there a way to make this change permanent? Any way to override the stored Audyssey setting for the sub, for example?

Many thanks!
post #3069 of 4624 Old 06-06-2011, 02:45 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwong766 View Post

I want to be able to watch TV (from cable box) while simultaneously listening to music via the Sonos (connected via optical), doI go with the component/coax route or can I just go HDMI from cable box to 1611?

Basically, will the 1611 pass thru video while audio comes from another source?

Thanks...noobie here.

Go the component/coax route as the Video Select feature does not work with HDMI sources. While listening to Sonos, change Video Select setting from "Source" to "SAT/CBL" (or whatever name you use for the cabel box).

post #3070 of 4624 Old 06-06-2011, 02:53 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIFulgore View Post

Hi everyone, I have a AVR 591 in a 5.1 setup and recently replaced the subwoofer. I had run Audyssey setup, and my old sub was set to -12 dB by the auto setup.

This setting is much too low for the new sub, so I manually changed it to approximately +1.0 dB. It brings the level up and works fine. This is done in menu 4-1-5, btw, in "Channel Level".

The problem is, when I switch to a different source, the setting always reverts back to -12 dB. I generally switch between my "quick sets" #1 and #2, which are my Blu-Ray player and cable DVR (both HDMI). Every time I switch, I have to re-override the Audyssey setting on the subwoofer to +1.0 dB.

Is there a way to make this change permanent? Any way to override the stored Audyssey setting for the sub, for example?

Many thanks!

Before solving your issue, you need to rerun AUTO SETUP again. When the 591 set the sub to -12db, it was saying the sub was too loud; however, the max setting is -12db so it could have gone even lower. You should have started with the volume knob on the sub set to middle or 12 o'clock. If yes, then back it down to 10 o'clock and rerun AUTO SETUP. You're looking for a setting closer to 0db, but as long as it's not -12db you're okay. Once you SAVE those settings, until you run AUTO SETUP again, they will stay the same when viewing the Parameter Check in the AUTO SETUP menu, regardless of whether you change them in the MANUAL SETUP menu. Also, after running AUTO SETUP, you don't want to make any further volume adjustments to the sub using the knob on the sub itself, rather use the CH Level button on the remote instead.

Now to your issue .... if you are using the Quick Selects and make setting changes, you need to rememorize these new settings into each Quick Select by pressing and holding the QS button for several seconds.

post #3071 of 4624 Old 06-06-2011, 06:42 AM

Thanks jdsmoothie, you always have the right answers . I'm definitely going to run auto-setup again in a couple weeks, just need to find the time to get the mic out. Once I saw the old sub was set to the lowest -12 dB I knew something was up.

Btw, I bought the 591 BA package with the Boston Acoustic speakers (8", 100W sub). Last week a guy had a Klipsch KSW-10 sub in the paper (10", 225W) for $40 (!!) and I snagged it. So far the KSW-10 is definitely richer around the 60 - 70 Hz range, but doesn't seem as punchy as the BA 8" sub. I probably just need to run Aud. setup again.

Hey, is it possible to use both subs? Just by splitting the sub output with a Y-splitter? Would that confuse the Audyssey setup, or is there a way to tell it "I have two subs"?

[EDIT - n/m, I found the info in the Audyssey Setup Guide, should have looked there first -- thanks!]
post #3072 of 4624 Old 06-06-2011, 07:29 AM

Hey,

My girlfriends parents got her a Bose Cinemate GS system for Christmas and we currently we only have 1 connection between the Bose system and the digital cable box via an optical cable (digital box is connected to the HDTV via HDMI).

We want to connect a Blu-Ray player and game console to the system also and are trying to figure out what the best setup is so we can connect all our components and still have audio going through the speakers without switching any cables...

Can we connect all our components into a Receiver (via HDMI) along with the Bose System (via optical) and then connect the receiver into the TV and have it switch based on which input you're using?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks

*edit*

I have a Denon 591 I would like to try use if possible...
post #3073 of 4624 Old 06-06-2011, 08:01 AM
585-645-1006

^^
First off, Bose systems don't really get much love on this forum as the speakers have to be connected to the Acoustimass sub to work correctly. She would be better served selling that setup and getting a regular stereo or 5.1 setup. That said, it is already powered and really designed to be connected to the TV directly.

post #3074 of 4624 Old 06-06-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:

^^
First off, Bose systems don't really get much love on this forum as the speakers have to be connected to the Acoustimass sub to work correctly. She would be better served selling that setup and getting a regular stereo or 5.1 setup. That said, it is already powered and really designed to be connected to the TV directly.

I understand that but its what we have currently.

Are there any options available so we can get everything working correctly? Can we plug the speakers in through the TV and connect all our components to the TV via HDMI and have the sound routed out through the speakers from the TV?
post #3075 of 4624 Old 06-06-2011, 09:11 AM
585-645-1006

Yes. The optical audio out from the TV should be able to provide audio from all the connected sources. Check the TV Owner's manual to confirm.

post #3076 of 4624 Old 06-10-2011, 08:29 AM

I just bought a new Denon 591 and setup was very simple until I tried setting up my xbox 360 via hdmi cable. There was no video or audio in the hdmi In "game". My bluray player workers great with full 5.1 surround sound. So I tried to connect the xbox with the bluray players hdmi cable just to see if it was just the cable but had no success. I plugged the xbox into every hdmi In. I tried various video setting in the Xbox 360 video setup and set the audio to DD 5.1. Has anyone ever had this problem, if so what was your solution? Thank you everyone.
post #3077 of 4624 Old 06-10-2011, 08:59 AM
585-645-1006

^^
It's likely a setting on the xBox that is preventing HDMI output. Does it work when connected directly to the TV?

post #3078 of 4624 Old 06-10-2011, 09:45 AM

Hello, so i recently bought a 591 and i've got my pc and ps3 both connected via hdmi. I couldn't really decipher whether or not it was possible through the manual, but it is possible to have video from the ps3 while i hear audio from the pc? Thanks.
post #3079 of 4624 Old 06-10-2011, 10:00 AM

Guys, I might be just missing it, but is there a setting for sending a full-range signal to the L/R mains with the sub on? My old Pioneer used to have a setting called "SW plus" or something like that. Basically all I want to do is send a full-range signal to the mains.

My L/R speakers are Polk Monitor 60, hardly bass monsters but I know they could provide a little extra punch for movies. They are crossed over at 80hz right now.
post #3080 of 4624 Old 06-10-2011, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanMrMustard View Post

Hello, so i recently bought a 591 and i've got my pc and ps3 both connected via hdmi. I couldn't really decipher whether or not it was possible through the manual, but it is possible to have video from the ps3 while i hear audio from the pc? Thanks.

No, you cannot "mix" two HDMI sources.

If your PC can output analog (RCA) audio in addition to HDMI, you could "cross" the connections, plugging the analog audio input from the PC into the RCA input on the Denon that corresponds to the PS3. For example, plug the analog audio from the computer into the "DVD" RCA input, and then assign the HDMI input from the PS3 to "DVD". Then set INPUT MODE to "Analog" and you will pull the analog audio in with the HDMI video.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #3081 of 4624 Old 06-10-2011, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantumleaper View Post

Guys, I might be just missing it, but is there a setting for sending a full-range signal to the L/R mains with the sub on? My old Pioneer used to have a setting called "SW plus" or something like that. Basically all I want to do is send a full-range signal to the mains.

My L/R speakers are Polk Monitor 60, hardly bass monsters but I know they could provide a little extra punch for movies. They are crossed over at 80hz right now.

yes: set Front speakers to LARGE and set the bass mode for the SW to LFE+MAIN.

when fronts are set to LARGE, the mains get a full-range signal so there is no "redirected" bass going to the sub, only LFE (the .1 track). When you set the sub to LFE+MAIN, you are telling the receiver to send the sub not only LFE, but also "double bass" from the MAIN speakers.

in this mode, the "crossover" from on the front L/R speakers will control the top end of the "double bass".

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #3082 of 4624 Old 06-10-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

No, you cannot "mix" two HDMI sources.

If your PC can output analog (RCA) audio in addition to HDMI, you could "cross" the connections, plugging the analog audio input from the PC into the RCA input on the Denon that corresponds to the PS3. For example, plug the analog audio from the computer into the "DVD" RCA input, and then assign the HDMI input from the PS3 to "DVD". Then set INPUT MODE to "Analog" and you will pull the analog audio in with the HDMI video.

Alrighty, thank you.
post #3083 of 4624 Old 06-10-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:

^^
It's likely a setting on the xBox that is preventing HDMI output. Does it work when connected directly to the TV?

Yes the Xbox 360 works great on my Samsung HDTV 1080p. I have been troubleshooting for about 3 hours now without success. I might just call Denon support to see if they could help. Thank you for your reply.
post #3084 of 4624 Old 06-10-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneman22 View Post

Yes the Xbox 360 works great on my Samsung HDTV 1080p. I have been troubleshooting for about 3 hours now without success. I might just call Denon support to see if they could help. Thank you for your reply.

*Update*
I contacted Denon support line and we concluded that the Denon 591 is fully functional. We performed a "Hard Reset" which is when you unplug ever hdmi cable and turn off everything for two minutes to allow the voltage to dissipate from the cables, then you plug all the Hdmi cables in, then turn every device on in this order "TV,Denon, then Bluray". So all the Hdmi INs on the receiver work with my bluray player.
This also told us that the HDMI cable used on Bluray player worked so then I tried the working cable on the Xbox 360. Still no Success. So this means the Xbox 360 is causing the problem (No Video & Audio). If anyone has an Xbox 360 with Hdmi successfully connected to a Denon 591, PLEASE Help!

Thank you everyone.
post #3085 of 4624 Old 06-10-2011, 06:55 PM

I've had the 391 (the cheapie) for about 5 months now, and aside from some initial out-of-sync audio, HDMI handshake problems (thanks again to those who helped me back in January), I've been pretty happy with my first Denon AVR's audio performance.

However, I have a recurring problem that I seem to remember being addressed before; can't find it in the thread now.

Every once in a while, out of the blue, my Channel Levels default to the factory settings (0.0 db). I've had to reset the levels about 4 or 5 times now. After re-setting the levels, is there something else I need to do? Some button on the remote I need to press? These random defaults do no effect Crossover Frequencies, Speaker Distance, etc.

Thanks in advance.
post #3086 of 4624 Old 06-10-2011, 06:59 PM
585-645-1006

^^
If you are using Quick Select buttons to either turn ON the AVR or select an input, you'll want to rememorize the Quick Select after you make the volume adjustments.

post #3087 of 4624 Old 06-11-2011, 01:49 AM

I had a question about HDMI scaling with my AVR-591...

I currently have an HTPC connected to my AVR-591, then going out to a Pioneer Kuro plasm from a few years back. Since the plasma is an older model, it's native resolution is 1366x768. It cannot do full 1080p resolution. All connections are via HDMI.

Right now, I believe the receiver is upscaling the HTPC signal, which I have set to 1366x768, because when it actually displays on the plasma it appears a little blurry. Also, my HTPC is incorrectly thinking the "recommended resolution" is 1920x1200... I'm thinking the Denon has something to do with this.

What I am wondering is if there is a way to have the Denon essentially just pass the signal from the HTPC to the plasma unaltered. I tried looking up the user manual on this, but couldn't find a solution.

Any help would be most appreciated!
post #3088 of 4624 Old 06-11-2011, 10:40 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjg11 View Post

I
What I am wondering is if there is a way to have the Denon essentially just pass the signal from the HTPC to the plasma unaltered. I tried looking up the user manual on this, but couldn't find a solution.

Yep. Just connect the source to the 591 and it passes through to your TV. There is no video chip in the 591 and therefore no upscaling is possible.

post #3089 of 4624 Old 06-11-2011, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Question, have a laptop with hdmi and for some reason my 591 does not get the signal. I have it in hdmi 4 (game) since its a free slot, but when I switch to it the tv just says no signal. My laptop senses a connection since in my nvidia display options it lists a 2nd display of denon. I don't know what is going on with it, I guess I could hook direct to my tv since I already have optical back to the denon for audio but would rather have it go through like my other components. Any ideas?

Bit by the upgrade bug, limited by the WAF
post #3090 of 4624 Old 06-12-2011, 04:29 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Try the other HDMI inputs to see if any of them work, and if yes, then just swap some input assignments around, otherwise, HTPC connections can be iffy and may require a different video card to work successfully.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page