*OFFICIAL* Denon AVR 391 / 591 / 1611 Owner's Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #361 of 4612 Old 08-04-2010, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for replies. Will test areas out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 4612 Old 08-05-2010, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I did a bit of experimenting last night with bass levels. Watching movies, listening to music etc The sound is EXTREMELY impressive. I am 100% sold on Denon and Audyssey. A complete difference from the more expensive Yamaha I owned. The only bad news is that the bass is just too much for apt dwelling. I must now purchase a house. I really wasn't motivated to do so, but after having a taste of the sound I could be listening to I am now motivated to buy a house. It all of a sudden seems worth it to put up with shoveling snow and mowing lawns

So back to the BASS, It seems as though turning the reference level really affects the surround performance a bit. Really all I want to do is lower the bass. I must be dumb and missing something, when I press the channel level button I didn't see an option to adjust the Sub. Only Front L, Front R, C, Rear Did I just cycle through too quickly, or am I missing something?

Since I like the surround level the way it is with reference level set to 0, is it OK to adjust just the Sub Channel and leave the reference level alone?

So far I have been leaving Dynamic Volume off because it seems to remove some sound detail and alter the sound a bit. Seems almost unnatural. What is peoples general consensus regarding using Dynamic Volume?
post #363 of 4612 Old 08-05-2010, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 925
Quote:

I must be dumb and missing something, when I press the channel level button I didn’t see an option to adjust the Sub. Only Front L, Front R, C, Rear… Did I just cycle through too quickly, or am I missing something?

it should be there. if you can't find it, you can also access this in the CHANNEL LEVEL menu under MANUAL SETUP > SPEAKER SETUP

Quote:

So back to the BASS, It seems as though turning the reference level really affects the surround performance a bit.

correct, it affects everything that Dynamic EQ does

Quote:

Really all I want to do is lower the bass.

then I would definitely do as you surmised -- leave the reference level alone and just attack the bass directly. One way to do this is the subwoofer ch level, which of course affects bass globally.

one good recommendation for apartment dwelling is to turn down the LFE channel volume directly. For all 5.1 (or 7.1) content, the LFE contains most of the "rumble" that is the reinforcing, deep bass for the soundtrack. If you open the OSD and go to SURROUND PARAMETERS you can turn down just the LFE channel by up to -10dB. This will make movie watching in the apartment much more bearable for people who share walls/floors with you.

Note that this LFE setting is set separately for each surround type (Dolby vs. DTS vs. Multich PCM) so you will need to repeat this step when you encounter a new type of soundtrack.

So, I would suggest that you FIRST turn down the LFE to -10 for DTS and Dolby Digital input signals. This will help mitigate the boomy/rumbly movie bass without killing the bass level for things like music. Then, adjust the subwoofer ch level to tweak the final bass level to your liking.

Quote:

So far I have been leaving Dynamic Volume off because it seems to remove some sound detail and alter the sound a bit. Seems almost unnatural. What is peoples general consensus regarding using Dynamic Volume?

Most likely you are still on the default "Midnight" mode -- try it in "Day" or "Evening" mode. IMHO Dynamic Volume is an absolute godsend for apartment living, I use it 100% of the time for movies and TV viewing.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #364 of 4612 Old 08-05-2010, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Note that this LFE setting is set separately for each surround type (Dolby vs. DTS vs. Multich PCM) so you will need to repeat this step when you encounter a new type of soundtrack.

I did lower LFE s last night, and noticed how it removed the super low end out. What I DIDN’T know was that you need to specify for DTS as well as MultiChannel! Good Tip!

Quote:

Most likely you are still on the default "Midnight" mode -- try it in "Day" or "Evening" mode. IMHO Dynamic Volume is an absolute godsend for apartment living, I use it 100% of the time for movies and TV viewing.

I tried cycling through each of these last night. What was weird is that it seemed to raise the dialog track volume when engaged. I will still have to play with this more.

Thanks again for the help!

Anyone that lives in an apartment care to share what settings they use in regards to LFE, reference offset, Sub Channel Level, and Dynamic Volume?
post #365 of 4612 Old 08-07-2010, 11:07 AM

Hi, I'm considering buying the Denon 591, two questions:

1) I'm wondering how hot it gets. I'd like to place it inside my cabinet which is fully enclosed except for a wires hole in back. I'm a noob at this. I have limited space.

2) Are their some speaker brands that are better suited with Denon? I'm possibly looking at Polk and Jamo speakers.
post #366 of 4612 Old 08-07-2010, 11:21 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
1. Denon AVRs run luke warm (but not hot like Onkyos), however, still require at least 2"-3" all around it to allow for proper air flow. If you are enclosing it in a tighter space, you'll need to include one or two PC cooling fans to move the air. You may also want to consider cutting a larger hole in the back of the cabinet.

2. Either brand of speaker you are considering will work very well with a Denon AVR.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #367 of 4612 Old 08-07-2010, 12:25 PM

591 always powers up to TV input. Is there a way to make it remember the last input before powering down? It is connected to a samsung un55c7000 via the ARC hdmi input. Is this why it always goes to TV? I would prefer it go to SAT. Any ideas?
post #368 of 4612 Old 08-07-2010, 01:59 PM

I have a AVR591 paired with a Samsung PN58C8000 plasma TV and get buzzing from all 5 speakers when the TV is on. It gets worse when "cell light" is turned up. I posted the details on this plasma forum thread that I won't repeat here, but there is some evidence it may be an issue with the Denon.

Are there any configuration settings on the receiver end that solve this? Turning the cell light to 0 almost eliminates the issue, but has a negative impact on the picture quality.
post #369 of 4612 Old 08-07-2010, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxmanwt View Post

591 always powers up to TV input. Is there a way to make it remember the last input before powering down? It is connected to a samsung un55c7000 via the ARC hdmi input. Is this why it always goes to TV? I would prefer it go to SAT. Any ideas?

yes, it is being caused by the TV taking control of the AVR. with the HDMI "control" connection, the TV assumes that you want to use the "TV" input when you power on the display, so the Samsung (Anynet+ is what they call their HDMI-CEC) switches the AVR to the TV input automatically.

are you actually using ARC? If not, you can just turn off Anynet+ in your TV and the automatic switching will stop.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #370 of 4612 Old 08-07-2010, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnDog View Post

Are there any configuration settings on the receiver end that solve this?

no, there is no "make all the speakers buzz" setting

sounds like it may be some sort of weird ground loop or electrical hum... not sure how to resolve it

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #371 of 4612 Old 08-07-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:

no, there is no "make all the speakers buzz" setting

Wouldn't that be nice!

Still pouring over the 591 manual trying to find some setting like the "cell light" TV setting that reduces the interference, hoping the combination would address this issue without loss of picture quality.

I've had a certified AV guy and a master electrician look at this. Everyone is at a loss it seems.

For now I have the cell light off and just need to crank up the contrast for a good picture. It's acceptable, but drives me nuts not knowing the root cause!
post #372 of 4612 Old 08-08-2010, 05:41 AM

All, this forum is great and has guided me to purchase a Denon 591. However, I need to call on the experts for advise. Just replaced my Sony AV receiver with a new Denon and ran Audyssey for my 5.1 setup, which gave me the following: S Back (preout): No.

Audyssey detected the other speakers just fine, but appears that it is not picking up my Subwoofer.

At this point, I canceled the setup process and spent most of last night researching this issue - trying many suggested options - looked at the subwoofer settings along with mic placement, subwoofer distance from wall, checked cable, sub appears to be working fine as evidenced by hum when touching connection and I can hear Audyssey sending the signal to the subwoofer during the initial setup. I even moved the sub to a few different locations and still no luck.

More information:
Connected to black subwoofer preout on Denon
Sub settings (Klipsch rw-10d): Volume mid to high (tried both ways), Low Pass -120Hz, Phase 0, power always on.

I am at a loss, thanks in advance
post #373 of 4612 Old 08-08-2010, 05:46 AM
585-645-1006

S Back (preout): No. <---- This means Surround Back pre-out (for 7.1 setup) which is different from the sub pre-out. If you check the speaker configuration menu you'll likely find the sub is set to YES.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #374 of 4612 Old 08-08-2010, 05:54 AM

Thanks, JD, In the speaker configuration sub is set to Yes. I am going to continue with the Audyssey set up now and hope to enjoy some real sound. Thanks Again....
post #375 of 4612 Old 08-08-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

S Back (preout): No. <---- This means Surround Back pre-out (for 7.1 setup) which is different from the sub pre-out. If you check the speaker configuration menu you'll likely find the sub is set to YES.

Should it be set on Yes at all times for 5.1?
Thanks.
post #376 of 4612 Old 08-08-2010, 08:55 AM
585-645-1006

If there is a sub in your setup, and the Denon detected it during AUTO SETUP, then the setting would be YES.

post #377 of 4612 Old 08-08-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:

If there is a sub in your setup, and the Denon detected it during AUTO SETUP, then the setting would be YES.

I was wondering about this before.
Thanks.
post #378 of 4612 Old 08-08-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:

yes, it is being caused by the TV taking control of the AVR. with the HDMI "control" connection, the TV assumes that you want to use the "TV" input when you power on the display, so the Samsung (Anynet+ is what they call their HDMI-CEC) switches the AVR to the TV input automatically.

are you actually using ARC? If not, you can just turn off Anynet+ in your TV and the automatic switching will stop.

Thanks for the reply, Batpig. I don't know what the ARC is doing by being connected this way. I did it mostly because I thought the Internet feature of the tv needed it for audio. Also, id there a TV input I can plug the hdmi cable unto on the 591? I have never seen one.
post #379 of 4612 Old 08-08-2010, 10:19 AM
585-645-1006

The ARC setting allows for audio from the TV (or components connected to it) to pass to the AVR via the HDMI cable connecting the AVR with the TV (rather than having to use a separate optical cable). You can use any HDMI jack as they are assignable to the various inputs.

post #380 of 4612 Old 08-08-2010, 11:28 AM

I rearranged my room and now I'm running Audyssey.

One issue I keep encountering is my subwoofer Channel Level is always in the range of -12 through -10 dB everytime I re-run Audyssey.

I have the DHT591BA HTIB. Just to make sure please double check if these settings are correct for my subwoofer. In the back of the sub I put

- The knob is at 180 bypass (recommended setting)

- Polarity 0 degrees.

- Volume knob is at the 12 o'clock

Are these the correct settings for my subwoofer before I run Audyssey?

FYI...My receiver is in the middle and my sub is about 3 feet away from the wall. It's about 2 feet away from my receiver.
post #381 of 4612 Old 08-08-2010, 11:39 AM
585-645-1006

Those readings are telling you that the sub knob is set too loud, although anything other than -12db is fine. Turn the sub volume knob back to 11 o'clock and rerun AUTO SETUP and you should be good to go.

post #382 of 4612 Old 08-08-2010, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee009 View Post

...One issue I keep encountering is my subwoofer Channel Level is always in the range of -12 through -10 dB everytime I re-run Audyssey.
I have the DHT591BA HTIB. Just to make sure please double check if these settings are correct for my subwoofer. In the back of the sub I put
- The knob is at 180 bypass (recommended setting)
- Polarity 0 degrees.
- Volume knob is at the 12 o'clock...

Yeah, 12 is no good but nothing wrong with -10. Just turn the Vol knob on the sub down to 10:30 or 11 before rerun and you should get values closer to 0. Have a look at the Audyssey Setup Guide. If you have an unfiltered LFE input use it, if you can defeat the filter do so, but if all you can do is turn it to max (I assume 180 is max) then that should be fine.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #383 of 4612 Old 08-08-2010, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 158
Ask Audyssey has a section here which is a great resource with clear instructions on how to set up your sub, etc, prior to running Audyssey.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #384 of 4612 Old 08-08-2010, 01:16 PM

I ended up turning the knob to 6 o'clock position. The subwoofer channel level came out to +1.5dB

Is this a good setting?
post #385 of 4612 Old 08-08-2010, 07:41 PM

Vertical verses horizontal question:

Can the Denon 591 be oriented in the vertical position instead of the horizontal position? In other words, can it be placed on its side, instead of its four feet?

I don't know, will it burn out because of disrupting the heat transfer? Is there something inside that absolutely must remain level horizontally?
post #386 of 4612 Old 08-08-2010, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

I ended up turning the knob to 6 o'clock position. The subwoofer channel level came out to +1.5dB

Is this a good setting?

Is that all the way down to zero? As jd and SOM suggested turn the VOL knob to about 10 or 11 o'clock.
post #387 of 4612 Old 08-08-2010, 07:53 PM
585-645-1006

JoeyO -

Not at all!

Denon AVRs are designed for horizontal placement as the entire top of the unit vents the heat with only partial openings on the side.

post #388 of 4612 Old 08-08-2010, 07:55 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Is this a good setting?

As we suggested earlier, 10 or 11 o'clock would have sufficed, however, as we also said, any reading other than -12db is fine. So you're good to go as you are at +1.5 now. You just don't have as much room to increase if you wanted alot more effect from the sub.

post #389 of 4612 Old 08-08-2010, 08:15 PM

Oops sorry guys. I made a typo. It wasn't at 6 o'clock. It was at 9. o'clock.

After listening to the sound and watching a bluray movie this setting sounds way better than what I had before.

Thanks for the advice.
post #390 of 4612 Old 08-08-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:

Not at all! Denon AVRs are designed for horizontal placement ...

Doh! Thanks, how about upside down? (just kidding).

Hmmm, I wonder if I can put my Comcast Motorola cable box on its side.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page