1Likes

post #3961 of 4674 Old 12-18-2011, 03:35 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked: 1524
^^
Does it happen with all speakers and with all sources?

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3962 of 4674 Old 12-18-2011, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Does it happen with all speakers and with all sources?

It sounds like from all and all sources . The avr is a refurb if that means anythimg

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #3963 of 4674 Old 12-18-2011, 03:40 PM
585-645-1006

^^
A new unit can go bad just as a rufurb can go bad. Try to isolate the issue to a specific source by unplugging all sources and then plugging back in one at a time. In some instances, the issue is the result of a grounding problem with the cable/sat box.

"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

post #3964 of 4674 Old 12-18-2011, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^^
A new unit can go bad just as a rufurb can go bad. Try to isolate the issue to a specific source by unplugging all sources and then plugging back in one at a time. In some instances, the issue is the result of a grounding problem with the cable/sat box.

How would I ground the cable box?

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

post #3965 of 4674 Old 12-18-2011, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Just inspected all my wires. Found that the electricaltape that covered an area where I spliced the speaker wires came off. Hopefully that's the problem

post #3966 of 4674 Old 12-22-2011, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

For some odd reason I cannot select quick select 1 / bd . The rest works. Just won't let me change it to bd. Any ideas?
Edit: its just the bd source. Not quick select 1

Decided to reset everything works now

post #3967 of 4674 Old 12-25-2011, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I added a second sub today...thanks wife!...I re-ran audesey on the 1611...I never liked the bass setting audesey set before so was always turning up the ch level of the sub (and cc too).

It seems adding the second sub just made audesey turn the trim down even more than before.

Since I know I will be manually changing these level with each movie...will the level revert back to the audesey settings each time I turn off the avr?
post #3968 of 4674 Old 12-25-2011, 01:29 PM

Hey guys,

I tried to search for this but after going through several pages of search results I didn't see this exact issue.

I just got the 391 as a xmas gift and I'm replacing an old Sony with no HDMI, etc. I run a cable box and an HTPC to the receiver. Everything works fine on the cable box, but I have a problem with the HTPC. I've discovered that due to a hardware limitation on my motherboard with integrated graphics that I cannot do 5.1 through HDMI so I'm trying to use the optical audio like I did with my Sony. If I run the HDMI direct to my projector the optical works fine, but if I connect the HDMI to the 391 the Optical no longer produces any sound. I do have the optical assigned to the input (tried both BD and DVD) and no luck. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks and happy holidays!
post #3969 of 4674 Old 12-26-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekkerl View Post

Since I know I will be manually changing these level with each movie...will the level revert back to the audesey settings each time I turn off the avr?

No, the changes you make will not go away when you turn the receiver off. But you can revert back to the saved Audysey settings if you want.
post #3970 of 4674 Old 12-26-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddykgb715 View Post

If I run the HDMI direct to my projector the optical works fine, but if I connect the HDMI to the 391 the Optical no longer produces any sound. I do have the optical assigned to the input (tried both BD and DVD) and no luck.

I don't think the 391 will let you do that, but jdsmoothie or batpig can tell you for sure.
post #3971 of 4674 Old 12-26-2011, 05:51 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

I added a second sub today...thanks wife!...I re-ran audesey on the 1611...I never liked the bass setting audesey set before so was always turning up the ch level of the sub (and cc too).

It seems adding the second sub just made audesey turn the trim down even more than before.

The sub trim was lowered simply because you now have 2 subs in play so the sub volume doesn't have to be as high to reach a level of 75db; however, you're welcome to increase the sub trim to suit your preference without impacting the Audyssey filters. All settings will remain in place unless power is removed from the AVR for at least 1-2 weeks or more.

"JD" –

post #3972 of 4674 Old 12-26-2011, 05:53 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddykgb715 View Post

Hey guys,

I tried to search for this but after going through several pages of search results I didn't see this exact issue.

I just got the 391 as a xmas gift and I'm replacing an old Sony with no HDMI, etc. I run a cable box and an HTPC to the receiver. Everything works fine on the cable box, but I have a problem with the HTPC. I've discovered that due to a hardware limitation on my motherboard with integrated graphics that I cannot do 5.1 through HDMI so I'm trying to use the optical audio like I did with my Sony. If I run the HDMI direct to my projector the optical works fine, but if I connect the HDMI to the 391 the Optical no longer produces any sound. I do have the optical assigned to the input (tried both BD and DVD) and no luck. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks and happy holidays!

When multiple inputs are assigned to the same source name, the HDMI input will take priority. Change the INPUT MODE setting for that source to "Digital" for audio to come from the optical input.

"JD" –

post #3973 of 4674 Old 12-26-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:

When multiple inputs are assigned to the same source name, the HDMI input will take priority. Change the INPUT MODE setting for that source to "Digital" for audio to come from the optical input.

Perfect! Thank you!
post #3974 of 4674 Old 12-26-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:

The sub trim was lowered simply because you now have 2 subs in play so the sub volume doesn't have to be as high to reach a level of 75db; however, you're welcome to increase the sub trim to suit your preference without impacting the Audyssey filters. All settings will remain in place unless power is removed from the AVR for at least 1-2 weeks or more.

Thanks jd...
Question...how do I revert back to the audesey settings as was stated before your post?

Also, if I change the channel level of the sub when watching a movie, will this also be changed for the SAT input, when watching tv?
post #3975 of 4674 Old 12-27-2011, 05:55 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Not sure I understand your question? After running AUTO SETUP, the speaker/sub trim settings are saved. Any subsequent speaker/sub trim changes you make are then saved in the Manual settings; however, the AUTO SETUP settings can still be RESTORED (p.10).

"JD" –

post #3976 of 4674 Old 12-27-2011, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 25
How have I not seen this forum before!?!?

Weird question about the AVR591 that I can't seem to figure out:

Is there a way to re-assign the GAME input away from the HDMI and put it on the DVD input? Why would I want to do this? We only have a PS2 which does not have HDMI and I would like to be able to press the GAME button and have the receiver use the red/white/yellow input from the DVD. That is where it is currently plugged in, but this confuses the other half and nearly everytime she uses the PS2, I get the phone call "why can't I use the PS2? I'm pressing GAME!" "Press DVD." "Why, it's not a DVD" "There's only an HDMI input for the game and your primitive console doesn't have HDMI, so it's plugged into the DVD input." -silence- "I pressed GAME, it's a GAME consule."

Should I suck it up and just use the front input?
post #3977 of 4674 Old 12-27-2011, 07:10 AM

Is there a way to switch sources without powering on the AVR? I have a 591 and say I want to switch between Sa/Cbl to DVD without powering on? (I just want to use the TV speakers) I hate to have to power on the AVR for a minute just to do this and don't think it is good for it to be powered on/off so quickly?
post #3978 of 4674 Old 12-27-2011, 08:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by mserrino View Post

Is there a way to switch sources without powering on the AVR? I have a 591 and say I want to switch between Sa/Cbl to DVD without powering on? (I just want to use the TV speakers) I hate to have to power on the AVR for a minute just to do this and don't think it is good for it to be powered on/off so quickly?

No there isn't. The 591 only use HDMI standby for last input used. So whatever the last input you used before turning off the receiver is the one that gets sent thru in standby mode.

Afro GT
post #3979 of 4674 Old 12-27-2011, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Liked: 1329
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb1980 View Post

How have I not seen this forum before!?!?

Weird question about the AVR591 that I can't seem to figure out:

Is there a way to re-assign the GAME input away from the HDMI and put it on the DVD input? Why would I want to do this? We only have a PS2 which does not have HDMI and I would like to be able to press the GAME button and have the receiver use the red/white/yellow input from the DVD. That is where it is currently plugged in, but this confuses the other half and nearly everytime she uses the PS2, I get the phone call "why can't I use the PS2? I'm pressing GAME!" "Press DVD." "Why, it's not a DVD" "There's only an HDMI input for the game and your primitive console doesn't have HDMI, so it's plugged into the DVD input." -silence- "I pressed GAME, it's a GAME consule."

Should I suck it up and just use the front input?

please see my webiste: http://batpigworld.com

you can reassign anything EXCEPT the red/white/yellow inputs, so NO you cannot make GAME correspond to the PS2 unless you get the component video adapter and run optical audio (and scrap the red/white/yellow RCA).

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

post #3980 of 4674 Old 12-27-2011, 08:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Buy a PS2 to component video cable from Monoprice.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...=2#description

Then get an optical cable too
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Then you can connect your PS2 to the component video input on the Denon and also use the optical input for audio.

Press the MENU button on the Denon remote.
1. Select INPUT SETUP
2. Select INPUT ASSIGN
3. Toggle down to GAME
4. Arrow over to HDMI and press SELECT. Toggle until HDMI is blank for this input.
5. Arrow over to DIGI and press Select. Toggle until it displays O1 which is Optical 1
6. Arrow over to COMP and press Select. Toggle until it displays C1 with is Component 1
7. Hit Return button and MENU to exit.

You're done.

You probably have to change some settings on your PS2 so that it is using component video and optical audio.

Or tell your wife to get over it, it aint that big of a deal. How many times does she have to hit GAME and DVD before she figures it out?

Or have her buy you a PS3, its almost 2012 now!

Afro GT
post #3981 of 4674 Old 12-27-2011, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I knew the name "batpig" was familiar when it came to Denon receivers. I've seen your site before. It is now bookmarked, as it was on my old computer, and will be referenced often. It is a great service!

The post about the component adapter intrigues me greatly. I will look into it, but my TV is plugged into the optical audio input so I fear the suggestion might not work. For now, I plugged in the PS2 into the front AUX input. This might be a moot point if my buddy gets a new game console and sells us his first-edition PS3 which plays PS2 games (which apparently subsequent PS3 consoles do not - pardon my ignorance, I never play video games and quite frankly don't really care about them, but my gf and her friends play all the time.)

Thanks for the helpful and educational replies.
post #3982 of 4674 Old 12-27-2011, 09:25 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

No there isn't. The 591 only use HDMI standby for last input used. So whatever the last input you used before turning off the receiver is the one that gets sent thru in standby mode.

Although true for the 590, the 591 and 1611 (and newer models) offer the added feature of setting the Standby Source to a specific HDMI jack #.

"JD" –

post #3983 of 4674 Old 12-27-2011, 07:45 PM

What are the recommended cross over settings? I know batpigs guide recommends a starting point of 60-80, but if I am not happy with the overall sound, do I raise or lower those numbers?

Story is that I loved the settings and sound I was getting except for the bass, so I added a second sub, reran audesey...and now the total sound is terrible. Will chaging the crossovers have a big affect?
post #3984 of 4674 Old 12-27-2011, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

there are no "recommended" crossover settings, it totally depends on what Audyssey actually measures in your room. The rule of thumb is to never LOWER the crossovers below what Audyssey set, because then you will be exposing uncorrected frequencies. This is all discussed in my FAQ.

can you be a little more specific than "terrible" about the sound now?

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #3985 of 4674 Old 12-28-2011, 05:43 AM

The sound seemed muffled...thats the best descriptor I can think of.

With the second sub and new audesey settings, I have to turn the volume of the movie up to -25 to fell like it fills the room and is adequate. Before the second sub, and with the old audesey settings, the volume was only turned to -36 to be comfortable.

Any thoughts?
post #3986 of 4674 Old 12-28-2011, 06:20 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Story is that I loved the settings and sound I was getting except for the bass, so I added a second sub, reran audesey...and now the total sound is terrible. Will chaging the crossovers have a big affect?

Are both subs identical? If yes, then set both volume knobs to 12 o'clock (mid volume). If not, then ideally you'll want to set each one to output a 75db tone at the main listening position. Once done, place each sub equidistant from the main listening position on either side of the TV and then run AUTO SETUP.

"JD" –

post #3987 of 4674 Old 12-28-2011, 07:23 AM

Yes, identical subs (bic f12)...they are set same distance from main listening spot. When I ran audesey, with the volume knobs at 12-o'clock, audesey set the trim levels at -12, and according to batpigs process, I turned down the volume knob a few notches to try and get the trim set closer to the recommended +-3....I think I ended at a trim of -9 cause the sub volume knob was all the way down to 3.
post #3988 of 4674 Old 12-28-2011, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

With the second sub and new audesey settings, I have to turn the volume of the movie up to -25 to fell like it fills the room and is adequate. Before the second sub, and with the old audesey settings, the volume was only turned to -36 to be comfortable.

Any thoughts?

it sounds like you used to listen without Dynamic Volume and now you have it on?

what you are describing sounds like it has nothing to do with the bass or the subs...

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #3989 of 4674 Old 12-28-2011, 07:33 AM
585-645-1006

^^
That's the correct setup process. You may want to consider relocating the subs to new equidistant positions, perhaps using the sub crawl procedure for the 1st sub and then once the first sub is positioned, do the sub crawl again with the 2nd sub.

"JD" –

post #3990 of 4674 Old 12-28-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abuhafsa View Post

Zardoz04,

Just so that we're talking about the same thing. What I hear is a 'thump' when I turn the sub on or off. It also happens when the sub is on standby and I play something (coz its like turning the sub on). Are you referring to this thump as a 'pop' or are you hearing something different entirely?

Sorry man I totally forgot about my post. It's more of a thump when the initial low frequency sound hits, then its normal after that. I used the wrong terminology before.

I saw the email you sent to the BA rep. I guess that's normal. I'm sure there are other subs on the market that only have a "off" and "auto" switch like ours does. I wonder if the same thing happens?

I found a killer deal on another BA 5.1 speaker setup for $200 and the sub has an "on" feature as well as the other 2 modes, so I think I'll just go with that setup.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page