*OFFICIAL* Denon AVR 391 / 591 / 1611 Owner's Thread - Page 135 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #4021 of 4654 Old 01-07-2012, 05:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I have been having this issue with my 1611 and Panasonic Viera ST30. Sometimes the Viera Link that lets the TV remote control the volume doesn't activate.

Usually when I turn on the TV it will turn on the receiver at the same time. Every now and then the TV will come on by itself and I will have to turn the avr on and then go into the TV options to link them again.

Anyone have this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4022 of 4654 Old 01-07-2012, 05:51 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 1418
^^
Try doing an HDMI reset .... while all devices are ON, unplug the HDMI cables at both ends ... turn all devices OFF/unplug power, then plug HDMI cables back in and power on in this sequence TV, AVR, source device. You also may need to add a few seconds after powering on the TV before powering on the AVR and the same for the source device to allow a proper HDMI sync to take place. A Harmony remote is good for doing this if you don't already own one.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4023 of 4654 Old 01-08-2012, 02:37 AM

Greetings All! I’m new to these forums, as well as a proud, new Denon owner. Please forgive me if this issue has been posted elsewhere. While I haven’t found my exact issue addressed, I have grown tired of sporadically researching this over the last several months. Also, I apologize for the length of this post, but I want to be thorough. First, here is my current set up (in an apartment):

Home Theater: Denon DHT-591BA (AVR-591 paired with the Boston Acoustics MCS95 speakers)
TV: Panasonic TC-P42ST30 (42” plasma)
Cable Box/DVR (Time Warner): Scientific Atlanta Explorer (not sure on model #)
Blu-Ray Player: Panasonic DMP-DBT210
Other: Roku box
Notes: Everything is connected via HDMI. Devices are connected to HDMI ports of receiver as follows = TV to “monitor”, cable box to “sat/cable”, blu-ray to “BD”, and Roku box to “DVD”.

Back in late August, I purchased Denon home theater system from Best Buy. I got a GREAT deal on a brand new one since it was discontinued and replaced by the 1312 (an inferior model, imo). Got home, set everything up, ran the Audyssey auto set up, etc… No problems with any of that. After only a few days of use, I noticed two recurring issues the video and two with the sound:

First (and only mildly annoying), the video… From time to time, when I turn the system on, I get intermittent, snowy flashes (like bad reception interference). The other thing I noticed is depending on the order devices are powered on, I may or may not get sound to watch TV. Both these issues seem to be corrected by turning everything off, then back on again. While I’m not sure why this corrects the intermittent snowy flashes, I’m sure it corrects the sound because of the order in which they are powered on. It’s kind of annoying to have to do that (especially if it’s more than once), but I suppose I could live with these issues if I had to.

Second (and most annoying), the sound… On a pretty regular basis, I will be watching TV, when suddenly I get a very loud (and quite startling) pop from the system. I also noticed that the sound often cuts out. Not completely, but enough to notice it.

I initially thought I had some cable or speaker wire messed up, but I have double, triple and quadruple-checked all that. I’m certain everything is as it should be. I don’t seem to have the audio issues, except when watching cable tv. Naturally, I figure it has something to do with the cable box. However, I have noticed that while not limited to one station, the popping happens more frequently on one particular cable channel (our local KNVA HD station). I struggle to understand why that would be. Anyway, I followed a few suggestions from this forum (HDMI reset; microprocessor reset, etc), and so far, nothing has corrected the occasional video flashing or horrible audio popping.

Read somewhere that updating the firmware might fix the audio popping issue, but the local authorized service dealer said that would take 3-5 days (Best Buy said it would take them 2-3 weeks because they’d have to send it in)… Seriously? For a simple firmware update??? I could probably do it myself in about 30 seconds, if the AVR-591 had an Ethernet or USB connection. Unfortunately, it does not.

My last resort will be to return it and get something else (which I can still do as I have the extended warranty), but I’m really hoping it doesn’t come to that. In spite of these issues (and their ridiculously priced ipod dock), I really want to like this Denon product. Hopefully, someone can provide some suggestions… Thanks in advance for any help!
post #4024 of 4654 Old 01-08-2012, 03:19 AM
585-645-1006

^^
1. Often the result of a defective cable ... pick up a new set of cables from forum sponsor Monoprice.

2. Bypass the AVR, connecting HDMI directly to the TV with optical from the cable box to the AVR.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
post #4025 of 4654 Old 01-08-2012, 06:14 PM

Can I do the following on my 1611? The reason I ask is I do not have a CD player yet and am trying to figure out a setup here for some family members and not sure whether to have them get a similar denon or a yamaha receiver.

Set ups as follows:
1. Sat/cab - hdmi input to receiver from cable box - normal tv watching
2. TV - Digital Coax from cable box, set audio input to analog (red white from cd player) - listening to music while watching tv
3. Dock - Optical in from cd player - just listening to cd

Would this work? Or is there something fundamentally off here?
post #4026 of 4654 Old 01-08-2012, 06:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
2. TV - Digital Coax from cable box, set audio input to analog (red white from cd player) - listening to music while watching tv

Exactly how does this enable you to listen to music while watching TV? You've connected two audio inputs and no video. What is the purpose of the digital coax?

Why dont you connect component video directly from the cable box to the TV then you can listen to whatever source you want on the receiver.

Afro GT
post #4027 of 4654 Old 01-08-2012, 10:11 PM

Thanks for the reply, jd... The cables that are currently connected are relatively new (ordered from monoprice about a month ago). However, I hadn't thought about bypassing the AVR as you suggested. I'll be very interested to give that a try as soon as I get some time (working a lot). I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again for the reply. Looking forward to many years of listening satisfaction with my Denon.
post #4028 of 4654 Old 01-09-2012, 08:02 PM

ok so I have a 1791 upstairs and have my powered subwoofer power cable plugged into back of the reciever so when I power on/off the reciever the sub goes on or off with it. the sub has a power switch that I leave in the on position...

the 591 i have in basement has same subwoofer and there is no place to plug the sub into to power on/off the sub how are people doing this I dont get it?

please help
post #4029 of 4654 Old 01-09-2012, 08:15 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpcace View Post

ok so I have a 1791 upstairs and have my powered subwoofer power cable plugged into back of the reciever so when I power on/off the reciever the sub goes on or off with it. the sub has a power switch that I leave in the on position...

the 591 i have in basement has same subwoofer and there is no place to plug the sub into to power on/off the sub how are people doing this I dont get it?

please help

My sub has an auto on/off so it turns on when it receives a signal and then turns off after a certain amount of time.
post #4030 of 4654 Old 01-10-2012, 03:40 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

please help

As noted above, if the sub has an "AUTO" setting as well as "ON" use it instead, otherwise you may want to consider a smart power strip. Also suggest you duplicate whatever method you choose for the 591 with your 1791 as well because AVRs are generally not designed to power more than 120W devices.

post #4031 of 4654 Old 01-11-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:

I ran into the same problem when I replaced my old receiver with my 591. I just plug the sub into an outlet and either leave it on all the time or use the sub's auto-on feature.
post #4032 of 4654 Old 01-14-2012, 02:21 PM

Hi jd, I tried your suggestions and thought I'd update you (and anyone else who might be interested) I haven't experienced any snowy flashing, but only time will tell if that continues, since (as I previously mentioned) it was only occasional anyway. We'll see.

I also followed your suggestion about bypassing the AVR entirely, and so far, after about 5 days of use, no popping. The sound still cuts out every now and again, but nothing like it was before. Unfortunately, I now have two other issues. First, I have limited audio modes (i.e., PLII, Dolby Digital, etc). The mode does not automatically change with the source as it did before. I can live with this (I like the Dolby mode anyway). Second, I have to use no fewer than 3 remotes to watch TV using a different source. The way it was previously connected, I could press one button on the Denon remote, and it would automatically switch to the proper source (probably utilizing the HDMI control function of the receiver). Now, I have to switch inputs on the TV as well. So, does this mean I have to choose one or the other? Either live with the popping / have convenience of one-button source switching, OR get rid of the popping and lose the one-button source switching?

Why can't stuff just work? Haha
post #4033 of 4654 Old 01-14-2012, 03:36 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmlgod View Post

First, I have limited audio modes (i.e., PLII, Dolby Digital, etc). The mode does not automatically change with the source as it did before. I can live with this (I like the Dolby mode anyway).

There are only two kinds of audio that come from an HD cable/sat box .. either DD 5.1 or DD/PCM 2.0 .. the DD will play as is and the DD/PCM 2.0 is simulated to 5.1 using DD PLII, so not really sure where the issue is here.

Quote:

Second, I have to use no fewer than 3 remotes to watch TV using a different source. The way it was previously connected, I could press one button on the Denon remote, and it would automatically switch to the proper source (probably utilizing the HDMI control function of the receiver). Now, I have to switch inputs on the TV as well. So, does this mean I have to choose one or the other? Either live with the popping / have convenience of one-button source switching, OR get rid of the popping and lose the one-button source switching?

Either that or you could try a different model sat box. Or better yet, just pony up for any one of various models of Harmony remotes ($30+) which will do away with all those remotes and return your 1 button convenience again.

post #4034 of 4654 Old 01-14-2012, 07:44 PM

Well, the audio wasn't really an issue, more like something I noticed. Like I said, no biggie since I get the sound what I want. Plus, I can now listen to my iPod while watching cable TV (instead of being forced to watch Denon's black, DOS-looking menu screen). I'm good.

Guess I'll just deal with the multiple remotes. I tried a Harmony remote several years ago. Never got it to completely work, even after being on the phone with their tech support on multiple days for several hours each time. They had no clue! Needless to say, I returned it. Horrible experience, so I'll never use one of those things again. I'd rather use my 5 different device remotes.

Anyway, thanks so much for your help!
post #4035 of 4654 Old 01-15-2012, 03:53 AM
585-645-1006

^^
You could also try using the Denon remote to control your other devices (p.52 Owner's manual).

post #4036 of 4654 Old 01-16-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:

Guess I'll just deal with the multiple remotes. I tried a Harmony remote several years ago. Never got it to completely work, even after being on the phone with their tech support on multiple days for several hours each time. They had no clue! Needless to say, I returned it. Horrible experience, so I'll never use one of those things again. I'd rather use my 5 different device remotes.

There are lots of other choices for universal remote controls. For less than $30 you can get a Sony RM-VL600. It's a programmable learning remote and if you can't get it to work it's your own fault!
post #4037 of 4654 Old 01-18-2012, 10:47 AM

I had purchased the DHT-591BA last June. Well, as I stated in some of my previous posts, the Sub always made a 'thud' when it turned on, and finally on Jan 03 it turned cold turkey.

Since I had purchased the BB black-tie service plan, I sent it off for repair. After 2 weeks they returned it saying they needed the Denon serial number. This really pissed me off. Why didn't they ask for it in the first place and why couldnt they just call me to get it, instead of shipping it back to the store?

Anywayz, I spoke to the store manager, and he's willing to exchange it out with the MCS-160 sub that comes with the DHT-1312BA (newer) system. I've looked at this set, and it looks like a down-grade to me. It looks much more cheaply made. What do you guys think. Should I go for the exchange, or send it off and hope BB repairs it properly?

A quick reply would be appreciated as I need to reply to the manager today.

Thanks.
post #4038 of 4654 Old 01-18-2012, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I agree with you about the cheaply made part. I think it would be a downgrade as well, but both subs are pretty cheap and low end. I would go for the new one myself, as it would be a quicker solution and I don't have any faith in the Geek Squad..at all.
post #4039 of 4654 Old 01-18-2012, 10:56 AM
585-645-1006

Can't speak for the subs, but the 1312 is a step down from the 591. Not sure what "black-tie" plan amounts to, but I'm guessing if you take the newer sub and don't like it, they'll likely repair the old one for you anyway.

post #4040 of 4654 Old 01-18-2012, 11:14 AM

^^^^^

Thanks

I think it's an exchange for just the sub and i won't be able to return it. I don't trust geek squad to repair it correctly so I'm leaning towards the exchange as long it will still be covered by the BB service plan.

It sucks that the sub didn't last long.
post #4041 of 4654 Old 01-18-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Hi abuhafsa, see if they're willing to upgrade to a better sub for a small fee.
post #4042 of 4654 Old 01-18-2012, 12:26 PM

^^^^

Yeah I tried that, but they're not because they haven't tried repairing it yet. So the manager is really doing me a special favor coz they wasted 2 weeks already Normally, they'd exchange only if they were unable to repair it first.
post #4043 of 4654 Old 01-18-2012, 07:14 PM

When I select the 'Audio Delay' option (6) on the 'Audio Adjust' menu (1), the on-screen menu display just disappears until I press the 'Return' button on the remote.

Is this normal? Can someone please verify that this is happening on their receiver as well?

If this is not expected, how can I fix other than attempting a hard reset?

Thanks.
post #4044 of 4654 Old 01-18-2012, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by abuhafsa View Post

When I select the 'Audio Delay' option (6) on the 'Audio Adjust' menu (1), the on-screen menu display just disappears until I press the 'Return' button on the remote.

Is this normal? Can someone please verify that this is happening on their receiver as well?

If this is not expected, how can I fix other than attempting a hard reset?

Thanks.

It does that on purpose so you can see the video while you are adjusting the audio delay. Normal behavior.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #4045 of 4654 Old 01-18-2012, 07:25 PM

^^^^

Okay, that makes sense.

thanks for the quick response.
post #4046 of 4654 Old 01-20-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abuhafsa View Post

A quick reply would be appreciated as I need to reply to the manager today.

If you haven't done so yet, I'd make them repair the original unit.

Meanwhile, purchase another sub from BB and hang on to the receipt. When the repaired unit comes back, you can return it.
post #4047 of 4654 Old 01-20-2012, 07:34 PM

Hi, i bought a couple of months ago the Denon AVR-591 av surround receiver and i would like to know if someone could help me to tell me what is the best/easy way to configure the receiver, what options should i choose.

Thank you !!
post #4048 of 4654 Old 01-20-2012, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoriapt View Post

Hi, i bought a couple of months ago the Denon AVR-591 av surround receiver and i would like to know if someone could help me to tell me what is the best/easy way to configure the receiver, what options should i choose.

Thank you !!

Boom: http://batpigworld.com

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #4049 of 4654 Old 01-21-2012, 07:34 AM

I have a 591.

A while ago I noticed that there was a "static/hissing" sound coming out of the left surround speaker. I swapped the speaker out with another satellite, same issue.

I recently upgraded to some much nicer bookshelf surrounds - just noticed the same thing out of the same channel.

I've also changed the speaker wire and made sure the wires are connected securely.

So it seems like something wrong with the 591 causing this.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: my new center speaker is "crackling" too.
post #4050 of 4654 Old 01-21-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Boom: http://batpigworld.com

Thank you for your help !!!

By the way, i use the cables that came with my receiver do you reccomend me to buy any other cable in order to have any increase of performance ?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page