Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #4591 of 4612 Old 06-25-2014, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 937
Yes, it's because the receiver has PLII memorized as the surround mode for 2ch digital signals. Typically these will come in as PCM 2.0 or DD 2.0 but there is nothing special about DTS 2.0, it's just a stereo signal. If it makes you feel better you can change the surround mode to DTS Neo:6 instead of Dolby PLII.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4592 of 4612 Old 06-27-2014, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HP Pavilion p6740f - DVI to HDMI cable to Denon receiver to projector?

Hi All:

I own a basic HP Pavilion p6740f desktop tower. Tonight, I'm moving it from the upstairs office to the downstairs media room. The media room is set up with all of the components, bluray, xbox360, dvr, etc in the front of the room, and the projector, mounted to the ceiling, in the back of the room. I'm planning on putting my HP Pavilion p6740f tower with the other components in the front of the room.

I plan on using the built in Windows Media Center on my PC (Windows 7) via my xbox 360. However, my PC doesn't have an HDMI output. It DOES have a DVI output.

My question: IF I HOOK UP A DVI TO HDMI CABLE FROM MY HP Pavilion p6740f PC, TO A DENON AVR 591 RECEIVER, WHICH PUSHES HDMI OUT TO MY OPTOMA HD25 LV PROJECTOR, WILL THE SIGNAL BE INTERPRETED CORRECTLY, OR WILL I NEED TO BUY AN HDMI CARD FOR MY PC TO USE INSTEAD?

Whether it's 740 p/i, or 1080 p/i, I could care less, as long as it's not 480 i/p.

This is a very specific question, so I plan to post it at hp.com as well.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Sincerely Yours,

zebrafetish2000
post #4593 of 4612 Old 06-27-2014, 11:43 AM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebrafetish2000 View Post
Hi All:

I own a basic HP Pavilion p6740f desktop tower. Tonight, I'm moving it from the upstairs office to the downstairs media room. The media room is set up with all of the components, bluray, xbox360, dvr, etc in the front of the room, and the projector, mounted to the ceiling, in the back of the room. I'm planning on putting my HP Pavilion p6740f tower with the other components in the front of the room.

I plan on using the built in Windows Media Center on my PC (Windows 7) via my xbox 360. However, my PC doesn't have an HDMI output. It DOES have a DVI output.

My question: IF I HOOK UP A DVI TO HDMI CABLE FROM MY HP Pavilion p6740f PC, TO A DENON AVR 591 RECEIVER, WHICH PUSHES HDMI OUT TO MY OPTOMA HD25 LV PROJECTOR, WILL THE SIGNAL BE INTERPRETED CORRECTLY, OR WILL I NEED TO BUY AN HDMI CARD FOR MY PC TO USE INSTEAD?

Whether it's 740 p/i, or 1080 p/i, I could care less, as long as it's not 480 i/p.

This is a very specific question, so I plan to post it at hp.com as well.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Sincerely Yours,

zebrafetish2000
Shouldn't be an issue, as the display (projector in the case) dictates to the receiver what resolution to display in, but just so you know, you won't get any audio with that, just video, so if your computer has SPDIF optical output, use that, but you will only get DTS and Dolby sound, not DTS MA HD or Dolby True HD as those can only be decoded via HDMI to HDMI cables
zebrafetish2000 likes this.

post #4594 of 4612 Old 06-30-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilv3r View Post
Shouldn't be an issue, as the display (projector in the case) dictates to the receiver what resolution to display in, but just so you know, you won't get any audio with that, just video, so if your computer has SPDIF optical output, use that, but you will only get DTS and Dolby sound, not DTS MA HD or Dolby True HD as those can only be decoded via HDMI to HDMI cables
Excellent advice Quicksilv3r. This did in fact work exactly as described. My HP PC has a digital coax output. My Denon receiver has a digital coax input...so they we go. It works very well for all sorts of things. Check out http://www.techsupportalert.com/5-Be...ming-Sites.htm for some free content that I've just started dabbling into.

Thanks!!!

-RD
post #4595 of 4612 Old 07-03-2014, 08:37 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 1321
^^
Just run Audyssey again.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4596 of 4612 Old 07-05-2014, 05:02 PM

Hey guys, I have an issue with my 391 when using the hdmi from my laptop, running windows 8.1.
When I am playing music or videos it is fine and I can both hear and see it on my screen and speakers. But when I loaded Ableton, (software) I could only hear the sounds coming through my laptop speakers.

Help me out
post #4597 of 4612 Old 07-05-2014, 09:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 351
What is Ableton?

Afro GT
post #4598 of 4612 Old 07-06-2014, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewnew View Post
Hey guys, I have an issue with my 391 when using the hdmi from my laptop, running windows 8.1.
When I am playing music or videos it is fine and I can both hear and see it on my screen and speakers. But when I loaded Ableton, (software) I could only hear the sounds coming through my laptop speakers.

Help me out
Music production applications often have custom output options. Have you checked for audio output options in the Ableton software you are using?
post #4599 of 4612 Old 07-07-2014, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampidemic View Post
Music production applications often have custom output options. Have you checked for audio output options in the Ableton software you are using?
Thanks for the input, and no I haven't checked, but here's what I think you might be talking about?

avs.jpg

Last edited by Andrewnew; 07-10-2014 at 10:29 PM.
post #4600 of 4612 Old 07-14-2014, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have a Denon AVR 591, hooked to my Office TV a 50"Sony Bravia HDTV. I'm trying to connectmy media server (on a whole house network) to the Denon to see the stored mediain my office. The media server directvideo output is 1080i HDMI. So I pulledan HDMI cable from the Media Server to the Denon. When I connect it to the Denon the Sony TVsees no signal. When I connect the HDMIcable directly to the Sony TV I get signal just fine but the audio must gothrough the TV not the speakers connected to the Denon. Both the Blue Ray player and cable box workfine.

Denon says that this unit will not pass any video or audiofrom a non-HDCP device through the HDMI ports. This, if true, is a terrible design flaw and makes the Denon unitunusable. The Denon phone tech says thatthey cannot process non-HDCP HDMI (no hand shake) as its against the law. This of course is a load of crap as the SonyHDTV (the licensor) plays the signal just fine. When I told him this he told me this cannot be true. If so my eyes must be lying.

I have two Yamaha units in other video viewing rooms thatprocess the 1080i non copy protected HDMI signals from the server withoutproblems. These two units, of coursealso process, HDCP HDMI from licensed sources such as Blue Ray devices etc. butthey do not block 1080i non-HDPC sources. I have HD videos edited from home movies of my granddaughter in 1080iformat for example that won't play on my office TV because of this. The server is connected to the other TV viewingrooms via the CAT 6 network and they have a local media PC at the site to sendvideo audio to the receiver and TV. Thedifference in my office is that the media servers direct video HDMI output goesdirectly to the Denon and/or Sony Bravia not through the network.

I must ask, is this true, did Denon block all signal sourcesthat do not process a HDCP hand shake? Ifso is there anything I can do about it short of tossing the Denon out andpurchasing another Yamaha?
Keith
post #4601 of 4612 Old 07-14-2014, 01:29 PM
585-645-1006

^^
The above is true for most AVRs which is why cable/sat boxes can have issues as they are often not HDCP certified. Get an HDMI --> optical converter and you should be good to go.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #4602 of 4612 Old 07-15-2014, 02:59 AM

You are saying that the Denon won't process HDMI with out the hand shake, but the Sony TV, the licensor (and the font of this BS) will just fine and that I'm just lucky that I purchased Yamaha receivers for my other two installations? Is there any place I can go on the WEB to determine which receivers block non-HDMI-HDCP signals so I can avoid them. Also is there any place I can go on the WEB to learn more about how all this works (license particulars and technical etc.). This is the first time I've encountered this and I've been running these servers and media PC's for years. This seems like overkill as my Media PC's and Server can only play non-copy protected 1080x1920 material that I produce for myself. Of course, I could cheat and rip Blue Ray disks and put them on the media server, but who would do this when I can rent them for $1.50 from red box. Thanks

Keith
post #4603 of 4612 Old 07-15-2014, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by klingenfelter View Post
...Of course, I could cheat and rip Blue Ray disks and put them on the media server, but who would do this when I can rent them for $1.50 from red box...
I understand your frustration, but this in particular is probably more common than you think.
post #4604 of 4612 Old 07-15-2014, 05:42 AM

120inna55
Thanks for the intell. The frustration is worse. In order to use an HDMI to audio splitter I'll need to pull another HDMI cable up behind the wall and ceiling to the TV (to bypass the Receiver). Either this or also install an HDMI switch and bypass the receiver completely (messy). Unfortunately I pulled only the server HDMI cable down to the receiver and I ran only one HDMI cable to the HDTV from the receiver. Upon looking deeper I'm now searching the for the video card specs to see if indeed it's HDMI port is not HDCP compatible. It is a medium performance adapter and is fairly new. I've found that many if not most PC video adapters today with HDMI output are HDCP compliant. If this card is, I have another problem; if it isn't then perhaps a replacement HDMI-HDCP video adapter can save me pulling more wires, and cutting up the wall board.
Note that I've connected an old laptop PC with an HDMI port but without a Blue Ray DVD drive and the Denon processes its signal just fine.

Does this make sense?

Keith
post #4605 of 4612 Old 07-15-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
120inna55...Does this make sense?...
Yes, but my comment was more related to the ripping of Blu rays to a drive or server. You said, "but who would do this..." I proposed that it is more common than you might expect. I am one of those individuals. Storage is cheap nowadays, so I rarely access the physical media more than once.
post #4606 of 4612 Old 07-15-2014, 10:35 AM

Got it. I did discover that the Server is putting out 1080p and the other devices are putting out 1080i. The Denon users manual only mentions 1080p in passing noting the one needs to use "high speed" cables if processing 1080p. Could this be part of the problem. I still am confused a bit as the Sony Bravia shows the video directly from the sever without problems. The same HDMI cable and connector that won't process through the Denon when plugged into the Sony works fine (at 1080p).

Keith
post #4607 of 4612 Old 07-15-2014, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Got it. I did discover that the Server is putting out 1080p and the other devices are putting out 1080i. The Denon users manual only mentions 1080p in passing noting the one needs to use "high speed" cables if processing 1080p. Could this be part of the problem. I still am confused a bit as the Sony Bravia shows the video directly from the sever without problems. The same HDMI cable and connector that won't process through the Denon when plugged into the Sony works fine (at 1080p).

Keith
You do need to consider the whole signal path from the player to the receiver and from the receiver to the TV. It sounds like you have your HDMI cable from Denon to the TV in wall. It's possible that that is part of the issue. How long are each of the cables in your configuration?

If either of the cables are not "high speed" and/or you have a very long cable run, it could be a signal degradation or bandwidth issue rather than an HDCP issue. You might be able to test this out by reducing the output resolution of your "server" device. If you set it to a lower resolution like 720P or 480P and it works, that would suggest a signal degradation or bandwidth issue rather than an HDCP issue.
post #4608 of 4612 Old 07-22-2014, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi,

New here and not sure if this is the right forum for this question. I have a Denon AVR 591 with Boston Acoustics MCS 95 setup (Bought it as a HTiB 3 years back). The unit has been great all these years but in the last couple of months the receiver kept shutting down with a red blinking power light a couple of times before finally blowing some transistors. I got it repaired at the authorized service center and within a week, the transistors blew up again. The vendor says that there is something wrong with the speakers that caused this problem. Has anyone here had a similar experience or any advice?

P.S the second time the transistors blew, i had the receiver connected to my mac through hdmi and playing some shows at low volume (-25dB).
post #4609 of 4612 Old 07-22-2014, 01:26 PM
585-645-1006

Get some new speakers.

post #4610 of 4612 Old 07-23-2014, 05:17 AM
Advanced Member

1611 Will Switch Audio But Not Video.

Anybody have any ideas why my Dad's 1611 won't switch video? His setup is very simple with 3 HDMI cables. One HDMI from receiver out to TV, one from the BD to the receiver and one from the SAT box to the receiver. The receiver will switch the audio from the BD player but it won't switch the video signal. Checked the cable and cable is good. The receiver has been up and running for a couple of years but my Mom and Dad hardly ever watch BD. When I tried switching to BD the audio switched but the video wouldn't. The display on the receiver reads "BD"

Also, I can't figure out why the on-screen display is not working. The only input to the TV is from the receiver and it goes to HDMI 1 on the TV. Does the TV need a different input from the receiver?
post #4611 of 4612 Old 07-23-2014, 06:46 AM
585-645-1006

^^
First try a soft reset by simply unplugging the power cord for at least 10 minutes to all devices to include the TV and BD player. Then plug all back in and power on the TV, wait 4-5 secs, 1611, wait 4-5 seconds, then the BD player. If still no joy, reset the microprocessor on the 1611 (p. 72 Owner's manual).

post #4612 of 4612 Old 07-23-2014, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
First try a soft reset by simply unplugging the power cord for at least 10 minutes to all devices to include the TV and BD player. Then plug all back in and power on the TV, wait 4-5 secs, 1611, wait 4-5 seconds, then the BD player. If still no joy, reset the microprocessor on the 1611 (p. 72 Owner's manual).
Thanks, JD, we'll give that a try.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page