post #4681 of 4687 Old 10-09-2014, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Quite welcome. Just keep that HDMI HDCP reset procedure at the ready.
Yep, I saved it with my other pertinent info (like the microprocessor reset, etc.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4682 of 4687 Old 10-13-2014, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I had the front right channel go out on my AVR-591. I'm hoping to just replace the amplifier board, but I'm only seeing the fully populated 7-channel versions for sale right now. Is it possible to use the fully populated board in place of the 5-channel board in the 591, or should I keep looking for a 5-channel version?
post #4683 of 4687 Old 10-13-2014, 12:15 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked: 1598
^^
Just upgrade to a newer networking model instead.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4684 of 4687 Old 10-16-2014, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
^^
More likely just a random HDMI handshake issue. You'll know for sure if the issue presents again in the near term.
Well, it's done it twice since.

From an off state, the Harmony turns on the AVR-->TV-->DISH receiver. (This has worked for years).

Now, it is inconsistent...sometimes, everything works fine, other times, it does this:

Picture, no sound. If I unplug the HDMI cable from the back of the TV (easiest access) or from the AVR (pain in the butt), the sound returns immediately, but of course, image goes away. Plugging the HDMI cable back in (TV or AVR), brings back picture and sound. But when I do this, switching through HDMI components becomes dodgy. Usually picture, no sound on the next component. In the case of my PS3, I get neither...just the AVR GUI. Again, unplugging the HDMI cable and plugging it back in usually brings back picture and sound. However, this action can also cause image error like a green tinted image.

Also, if I do the quick, temporary fix switching from one component to another, seems to work, but the image and sound for the current component is briefly dropped out when the component you just left finishes shutting down. It's like the "termination of the handshake" causes a temporary interruption with the current activity. That would be no big deal, except it's a clue that next time you switch components, you'll have no sound.

I tried the HDCP reset procedure with no luck.

I tried unplugging the AVR for 1 hr with no luck.

I tried using a new HDMI cable from AVR to TV with no luck.

I have found that using a different HDMI port on my TV resolves the issue for a while (2 or 3 days/power cycles). So, I switch the cable coming into the TV from the AVR to HDMI 2, and everything works perfectly for a couple days. (I reprogram my Harmony remote to accommodate this.) When it fouls up again, I can change everything back to HDMI 1 and that works for a couple days.

I really don't want to do a microprocessor reset. Because I don't want to have to redo the setup. Especially if this is not even an AVR problem.

Given the symptoms, does this in fact sound like the AVR is the problem? I suppose it could be the TV, but each port works fine when it works, but I don't know if that rules it out.

Unfortunately, I don't have an alternate TV to check this.
post #4685 of 4687 Old 10-16-2014, 05:28 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked: 1598
^^
Try powering on TV, AVR, source instead waiting 5 sec between each. If the HDMI handshake presents with just one source (ie. DISH) then it's an issue with the DISH (possibly recent firmware upgrade can do this), otherwise if with all sources, then more likely an issue with the AVR and will require resetting the microprocessor.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4686 of 4687 Old 10-16-2014, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
^^
Try powering on TV, AVR, source instead waiting 5 sec between each. If the HDMI handshake presents with just one source (ie. DISH) then it's an issue with the DISH (possibly recent firmware upgrade can do this), otherwise if with all sources, then more likely an issue with the AVR and will require resetting the microprocessor.
I'll give that a try next time it happens. However, this is the same DISH FW I've had since July. Problem only started recently.
post #4687 of 4687 Old 10-16-2014, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Also, once it's fouled up, it's fouled up on all HDMI inputs. But, yes, I do start everything up by going to DISH first.

During the day, my wife has the AVR on stereo/tuner all day long (TV and all other components off/standby). Around 8 pm, we switch to DISH (TV, AVR, DISH). I've never seen this problem arise when doing that. So, the TV being off for 6-8 hours doesn't seem to cause the problem.

So far, this only happens after everything has been off over night (6-8 hours). But again, once I get it working correctly, it may go 2 "over night cycles" without any issues.

I have not changed the HDMI cable on the DISH. These cables are NEVER moved or touched, so it would be weird for them to fail, but I guess I may try that further down the line.

For now, when it happens again, I'll get it working again by trying my temporary fix of changing ports on the TV. Then I will start by booting up to a different component only and see if that keeps it from happening. Does that sound like the same thing you're suggesting?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page