*OFFICIAL* Denon AVR 391 / 591 / 1611 Owner's Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
First ... 14  15  16 17  18  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > *OFFICIAL* Denon AVR 391 / 591 / 1611 Owner's Thread
Myke256's Avatar Myke256 06:34 PM 08-20-2010
edit. nvm, got it. havent ran auddysey yet but i already hear a difference from my onkyo

edit 2. I love that there are separate settings for 2ch stereo for my music, i can now drop my crossover a bit. love that i can rename inputs. im gonna keep messing with it, I'll run the aud. tomorrow. I've made some manual adjustments for now, just by ear. the only downside so far is that's a bit weaker than my Onkyo. i don't need a ton of power since this is in my bedroom so it's not a big deal.

edit 3. Dolby True HD and DTS HD aren't working. I have the PS3 outputting bitstream and I select the respective mode in the movies menu but all I get is regular old DD and DTS

scoobdude's Avatar scoobdude 09:35 PM 08-20-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myke256 View Post

edit 3. Dolby True HD and DTS HD aren't working. I have the PS3 outputting bitstream and I select the respective mode in the movies menu but all I get is regular old DD and DTS

PS3 fat needs to have the HDMI settings changed to PCM which would then show up as "multi channel in"

PS3 slim can be either.

While we are on the subject, if you have a slim can you try out the CEC commands. Basically try to control the XMB etc from the remote. Or see how it works if you tv also has the option...do the commands pass though?
Myke256's Avatar Myke256 09:50 PM 08-20-2010
i have the fat PS3. so this can't actually send out the HD audio signals without converting them to PCM?
scoobdude's Avatar scoobdude 10:08 PM 08-20-2010
Quote:

i have the fat PS3. so this can't actually send out the HD audio signals without converting them to PCM?

As per batpig site: batpig's ps3 info
Quote:

Now, you just have to make sure the HDMI settings on the PS3 are correct. First, go to the PS3 options, and under "Video Options" set HDMI Audio output to "Linear PCM". This will set the PS3 to decode all audio and output as multichannel PCM over HDMI. If you leave this on "bitstream" you will get a downmixed version of hi-res audio on Blu-rays.

(UPDATE AUGUST 2009: The newer PS3 "Slim" models can bitstream the HD audio, so you do NOT need to set your PS3 to output linear PCM as explained above. You can leave it on "bitstream" for HDMI audio.)

Please read more at the above link and keep us posted on how everything works out.
Myke256's Avatar Myke256 10:27 PM 08-20-2010
yea i switched it back. my old AVR could only accept HD audio and not decode it so i've had it set up forever like that. I just wanted to see the Dolby HD light come on, but I guess I won't get to see it
scoobdude's Avatar scoobdude 10:31 PM 08-20-2010
Quote:

yea i switched it back. my old AVR could only accept HD audio and not decode it so i've had it set up forever like that. I just wanted to see the Dolby HD light come on, but I guess I won't get to see it

Time for a PS3 slim :P My old fat 60 died back in may, and to tell you the truth the CEC stuff makes the upgrade really worth while. Select ps3 from the tv and it turns on and controls the ps3. Or power on the ps3 and it automatically turns on the tv and/or sets it to the right HDMI connector.

But until i get my receiver on tuesday i will not know how this unit handles that
metallicoholic's Avatar metallicoholic 02:44 PM 08-21-2010
So I just bought a new AVR-391 receiver today and hooked it up. I have my PS3 running to the BD input (HDMI), my Xbox 360 running to the Game input (HDMI), and my cable box running to the SAT/CBL input (HDMI). I turned on the cable first and everything looked fine. Then I switched it to my PS3 and that's when the problems started.

The words MULTI IN appear on the display and won't go away. I've read batpig's page about this so I understand why the words are there, but literally they won't go away. I can't switch it to a different input, I can't change the volume, I can't even turn it off (without unplugging it). The PS3 works fine on it, for the most part. I started up a few games and everything was looking great. Then I put in a regular DVD (of The Closer) and the color was purple-tinted. I don't know why it's doing that either.

I turned off the PS3 in hopes that it would break the spell on my receiver but alas, the words are still there and I can't change anything. I feel like these are two stupid issues that are probably incredibly easy fixes but since this receiver is so new I can't find anything out about it online. I'm hoping someone here can help.
jcthrillhouse's Avatar jcthrillhouse 02:54 PM 08-21-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Perhaps with the Samsung BDP ON (but not playing), it ignores the non-Samsung HDMI repeater in the loop?

The Samsung Anynet+ on the TV was actually able to identify the Denon AVR. Whenever I changed to volume it displayed the AVR model number (AVR-591) and a relative volume level.
SoundofMind's Avatar SoundofMind 03:27 PM 08-21-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicoholic View Post

... Then I switched it to my PS3 and that's when the problems started.The words MULTI IN appear on the display and won't go away...

Try this: first press the AMP button on the remote to get the AVR controls to respond rather than the device selected.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 03:27 PM 08-21-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicoholic View Post

I'm hoping someone here can help.

Reset the microprocessor (p. 51) and start the setup over again to see if that resolves the issue.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 03:29 PM 08-21-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthrillhouse View Post

Anynet+ is turned on, but it doesn't find any devices, so "Receiver" isn't listed. The Denon AVR-591 says it can do ARC, but maybe it's not compatible with Samsung's Anynet+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthrillhouse View Post

The Samsung Anynet+ on the TV was actually able to identify the Denon AVR. Whenever I changed to volume it displayed the AVR model number (AVR-591) and a relative volume level.

It would seem the Sammy recognizes the 591 for the volume but not the ARC feature then.
Myke256's Avatar Myke256 06:41 PM 08-21-2010
so I ran the aud. and it set my fronts to large, even though I'm using a SW.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 07:00 PM 08-21-2010
The Denon will always set any speaker to LARGE if it detects that it can process a frequency below 50hz. Simply reset the speaker to LARGE with a 80hz crossover (under Manual Setup).
Myke256's Avatar Myke256 07:26 PM 08-21-2010
i already changed them to small with crossover at 60. i was just curious as to why it did that.
SoundofMind's Avatar SoundofMind 04:58 AM 08-22-2010
Quote:

...i was just curious as to why it did that.

With this AVR, you have great power. And with great power, comes great responsibility...to read the batpig guide. This is covered in the
Audyssey section of the FADQ. Should you wish to delve even deeper, the guide also has great links in the "All About Audyssey" section, such as to the OFFICIAL AUDYSSEY FAQ, etc.
Myke256's Avatar Myke256 11:39 AM 08-22-2010
i noticed the biggest difference in my sub from my onkyo. i see the onkyo audyssey didn't calibrate the sub, only adjusted distance and level. found some other good stuff about dynamic eq. will have to mess around with this stuff later tonight
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 03:00 PM 08-22-2010
Understandable as Onkyo only uses the lower level Audyssey 2EQ (ie no sub filters) in it's lower level AVRs, while Denon uses the next higher version, Audyssey MultEQ in it's lower level models (except the 391 which does not use Audyssey at all).
Myke256's Avatar Myke256 07:43 PM 08-22-2010
I think I'm finished with my tweaks. I play my music in Direct mode now, no sub needed. My speakers pack enough bass on their own. My surrounds were too loud, I dropped the db's slightly and changed the reference on Dynamic EQ to 15. It's still not perfect but an improvement. Bumped up the sub a couple of db's as well. All speakers set to small, 80 crossover. That's about it, everything sounds good.
drfocus's Avatar drfocus 05:53 AM 08-23-2010
I've set up my new Denon 591 and everything works great, except that the Denon remote won't change TV channels. To do that, I have to use the remote that came with the Samsung SMT-H3260 cable box.

Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
David
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 07:11 AM 08-23-2010
Have you assigned the proper remote preset code for the Samsung cable box to the input source name you are using (eg. SAT/CBL) as the factory default is for a DirecTV sat box? (p. 52). If the Samsung is listed you should be able to operate it, othewise you'll have to use the cable box remote or just get a universal remote.
Dave3000's Avatar Dave3000 04:45 PM 08-23-2010
I recently purchased a Denon AVR-591 receiver. I like the sound but I'm having a problem with my Xbox 360 when I set my Xbox 360 to Digital Stereo mode. The problem is that I will get a pop sound out of my speakers whenever I go to different words in the Xbox 360 Dashboard. It happens if I don't do anything for about 3 seconds and then scroll to a different word.

Setting the Xbox 360 to Dolby Digital gets rid of that popping sound. Also setting my receiver to PCM instead of Auto when running Xbox 360 in Digital Stereo mode gets rid of the popping but then it will always be in stereo no matter what the sound source.

I tried the LR stereo audio connections on the receiver, different HDMI ports, and I tried headphones but still get the same popping sound in Digital Stereo mode with the receiver on Auto. So it's definitely not my speakers.

Anyone here have the same receiver and experience the same popping sound I'm talking about when setting Xbox 360 to Digital Stereo mode with the Receiver's decode mode on Auto?
Myke256's Avatar Myke256 05:58 PM 08-23-2010
My settings aren't being saved. Every time I turn on the AVR the Aud. defaults are on :[
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 06:33 PM 08-23-2010
Are you using a Quick Select to turn on the AVR? If so, you'll need to rememorize the QS button with the new CH Level changes by pressing the QS button and holding it for a few seconds. Otherwise if you are looking at the AUTO SETUP menu, it will always show the original settings determined when last run so they can be RESTORED if necessary.
drfocus's Avatar drfocus 08:07 AM 08-24-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Have you assigned the proper remote preset code for the Samsung cable box to the input source name you are using (eg. SAT/CBL) as the factory default is for a DirecTV sat box? (p. 52). If the Samsung is listed you should be able to operate it, othewise you'll have to use the cable box remote or just get a universal remote.

I guess neither of the two remote preset codes work for this Samsung cable box. Time Warner has only recently started distributing these newer boxes (instead of the Scientific American). Does Danon to update their preset codes frequently and make them available for download?
drfocus's Avatar drfocus 10:09 AM 08-24-2010
SOLVED!

Just for the heck of it, I selected the remote code for the Scientific Atlantic STB (which TW was previously providing). IT WORKED for the Samsung. The Denon remote now controls channel selection.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 10:14 AM 08-24-2010
Great! Thanks for sharing that information for others to use if needed.
Shackletown's Avatar Shackletown 07:50 PM 08-24-2010
I've run into a few problems that have me temporarily stumped...

I've noticed that when watching television through the receiver when switching from show to commercial, commercial to commercial or commercial to show there is a delay where it takes a bit for the sound to kick in. Not a huge deal, but it's annoying enough that i'm trying to figure out why it does it and what I need to set to stop it from doing this. Only reason I figure it's do able is the fact that my previous Yamaha never did this.

Second and most annoying problem is playing a 3d movie through this receiver, which was the one and only reason I had to change from my yamaha to this denon. When I try to play a 3d movie it appears that there is a hiccup in properly passing the signal through. There is artifact across the screen and the video and audio will cut out flash to black then kick back in. It will continually cycle doing this every few seconds. Of note it does do this shortly when watching a normal BR movie, but will stop if I change source on the receiver and then change it back again.

I'm running a samsung 3d BD player and a samsung 8000 series 3d TV. The BD player is connected to the receiver with a Monster Cable THX 1000 17.8Gbps cable and another runs from the receiver to the TV.

3d will run perfectly if I run the BD player connected directly to the TV.

Input?
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 08:50 PM 08-24-2010
You don't mention what model you own or whether you are using the ARC feature to get the audio to the AVR. Try all the other HDMI jacks to see if you get the same result. Also try to replace the Monster cables with other non-Monster HDMI cables to see if that makes a difference (as it did for at least one poster with one of last year's models).
Shackletown's Avatar Shackletown 09:39 PM 08-24-2010
My bad... the AVR-591...

ARC is off. I'll have to pull it out of the entertainment system tomorrow to cycle through my hdmi cords :/
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 09:54 PM 08-24-2010
Now that you're a member, while logged in you have access to a "Search This Thread" button at the upper right of this page. If you enter the keywords "Samsung 3D" you'll note that two other posters indicated using a Samsung BDP with a 591, the first having an issue with the ARC feature and his TV (but not with the BDP) and the second with multiple sources including his BDP (which was resolved by replacing the HDMI cables). You might want to PM them to learn what model BDPs they own, although the second is using a BD-C6800.

Also, for future cable purchases, you'll save yourself a lot of money by skipping Monster cables and buying from either of Forum sponsors Monoprice or Blue Jeans cable, both of which sell high quality HDMI cables for roughly $5/each and are listed at the top of the page.
First ... 14  15  16 17  18  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop