Bought my 591 a couple days ago, my first avr. Been reading alot since then, trying to teach myself all about it. Ive read batpigs guide, the audessey for dummies guide, and so on.
1. Very user friendly unit, and does everything I need it to do and then some. Setup took about an hour, as I was being extra cautious not to screw something up.
2. The quick select buttons are a nice feature.
3. The hdmi passthrough is great. Wife hates the loud surround sound, so she used it to watch dish with just the tv speakers. A real life saver for me.
One problem: When I shut down the unit and come back later it only plays audio through the tv speakers. I have to shut it down an extra time for it to click the big speakers back on. Not sure if this is intentional or what, but its rather annoying.
Now, I must say I'm not real happy with my speakers. I bought all Bic venturies (62clrs center, dv64 front towers, and a v1220 sub.) The sub seems to be very underpowered, I have to set the gain to 7 (out of 10) to get good bass. The front towers sound just okay. The center speaker sounds pretty good.
The SW trim is set to +7 manually while the other channels are -1,-3,-1.
So, just a couple quick questions for you experts:
1. Is setting the sub gain so high normal? The sub doesn't seem to even work at all any lower than that, so I'm not too concerned about it heating up or blowing.
2. Is this sub enough for my room. Room is a large basement, basically a large rectangle measuring 30x20 with 9' ceilings.
3. Is it normal to have huge differences in input volume. i.e. blue ray player is extremely loud at -30db, while the dish network input finally gets loud at -5db. Ive even got the dish source volume set +15db. I'm thinking it may be a cable issue. Any thoughts?
Thanks for any input, hope to get this thing sounding like the $1k I've got into it. (I know, budget system, but should still sound decent)