Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #631 of 4624 Old 09-12-2010, 01:07 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 1345
If you've tried turning on the TV first without the AVR being ON, and you still have the issue, how is it the fault of the AVR?

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 4624 Old 09-12-2010, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Popping noises from the speakers generally isn't going to be caused by the HDMI cables. Does the popping occur in ALL speakers? Are you connected to a power strip? If yes, try connecting directly to the wall outlet and see if you get the same results. Does this happen with ALL inputs including the TUNER? Have you reset the microprocessor (p. 72)?

Thanks for your reply. The popping noise does come through all speakers (2 polk 70's and emotiva sub). What is strange about it today I turned it on and just left it on for a few minutes. Then I switched channels from the hd channels to a non hd channel and the sound came back on both hd and non hd. Might of been a coincidence. I have not tried resetting the micro-processor yet will the try that the next time it happens. Could it possibly be the cable box? Almost everything is hooked up to one power strip except the sub is on a separate power strip.
post #633 of 4624 Old 09-12-2010, 03:56 PM

I posted this in the TV forum, but have not found a solution, so I thought I would post here in case it might be a receiver solution. I have a Samsung Plasma and an AVR 591 receiver and an HR24 Directv DVR. I have the DVR and TV connected to the receiver via HDMI, then HDMI connecting the TV and Receiver.

When I use Netflix on my plasma (built in app), it will only use the TV internal speakers, not the receiver. In fact, I get both sounds going at once- (streaming Netflix and Directv sound from the receiver).

Is there a way to get my streaming Netflix to use the receiver for sound??

Thanks in advance.....
post #634 of 4624 Old 09-12-2010, 04:18 PM

Based upon lots of great info on this website I returned a defective Onkyo TX-SR508 receiver to Newegg. The Onkyo stopped working with the HDMI output to my Samsung HDTV. Even unplugging and resetting the receiver would not correct the problem. This seems to be a known issue with the Onkyo 508 model. By the way Newegg was great about taking the receiver back and even sent a pre-paid shipping label.

Anyway I just purchased a Denon AVR-1611 and so far I have gotten it set up according to Batpig's excellent info as well as others on this website and it is working great.

I have one issue and maybe this is a know "feature" of the Denon. I can turn the Denon off and have it continue to send the current HDMI source to the HDTV and it works fine that way with sound out of the HDTV speakers. The problem is if I turn the Samsung off then the next time I turn the Samsung on the Denon will send the video and audio to the HDTV for about 3 seconds then it stops sending the audio and video. If I turn the Denon on I have to then select the source again (in most cases the HMDI signal from Directv via the HDMI 3 port.

More info: using HDMI 1 for Samsung 3D Blu-ray in, HDMI 3 for Directv HDR24 in, HDMI out to Samsung 3D LED. No other digital or analog inputs connected. Have Samsung Anynet+ turned on TV and Denon HDMI control turned on as well.

So is it normal that the Denon only outputs the signal to the HDTV until the HDTV is turned back on again? Seems strange, so I turn to the members of the avsforum for insight. Thanks
post #635 of 4624 Old 09-12-2010, 04:25 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwavs View Post

Is there a way to get my streaming Netflix to use the receiver for sound??

Thanks in advance.....

Is your Sammy TV HDMI 1.4 with the Audio Return Channel (ARC) feature? If not, you can connect either an optical or RCA cable from the TV to the 591 to pass the audio through your surround speakers.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #636 of 4624 Old 09-12-2010, 04:40 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by prichard View Post

I have one issue and maybe this is a know "feature" of the Denon. I can turn the Denon off and have it continue to send the current HDMI source to the HDTV and it works fine that way with sound out of the HDTV speakers. The problem is if I turn the Samsung off then the next time I turn the Samsung on the Denon will send the video and audio to the HDTV for about 3 seconds then it stops sending the audio and video. If I turn the Denon on I have to then select the source again (in most cases the HMDI signal from Directv via the HDMI 3 port.

So is it normal that the Denon only outputs the signal to the HDTV until the HDTV is turned back on again? Seems strange, so I turn to the members of the avsforum for insight. Thanks

Forum member Black107 just posted this same issue on Friday although hasn't reported back on whether his problem was resolved. If you're not using the ARC feature, turn Anynet+ OFF on the Sammy and see if that resolves your problem.

post #637 of 4624 Old 09-12-2010, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

ouch dude! of all the times we have discussed "passive bi-amping" you had to dig up THAT one?

Sorry, it had the references. It was so feisty it did give me pause, but some unconscious sadistic streak took over...

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #638 of 4624 Old 09-12-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000gtp View Post

... The popping noise does come through all speakers...

My 1611 got a machine-gun burst of loud pops, only once so far, through all 5.1 speakers. From somewhere between a DVD and the Denon pre-amp. The only thing I had time to do was to turn down the volume, which turned down the popping volume, so it's not in the power amp section. And not the DVD disk, because not reproducible. Not enough time to test switching sources. Denon is my only new component.

I unplugged, wiped, and reseated the optical cable from the DVD player. I vacuumed the Denon, without removing its cover of course, for any household or shipping dust. (Cover most of the chassis holes with saran wrap, and one can get a pretty good breeze through it.) Fingers crossed.
post #639 of 4624 Old 09-12-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:

Forum member Black107 just posted this same issue on Friday although hasn't reported back on whether his problem was resolved. If you're not using the ARC feature, turn Anynet+ OFF on the Sammy and see if that resolves your problem.

After some testing I was able to verify that the recommendation to turn off Anynet+ on the Samsung HDTV did solve the issue with the handshake between the AVR1611 and the Samsung HDTV. Thanks for the recommendation jdsmoothie. The forums members are great!

For some reason the first time I turned off the Anynet+ on the Samsung it caused the Samsung remote to work erratically. The HDTV would only respond to about 1 out of 5 presses of the remote keypad. Weird. So I turned ANynet+ back on and then tested the AVR. With Anynet+ on the AVR will stop sending the HDMI signal to the HDTV. Not sure if the problem is caused by the Samsung or the Denon. Seems like it must be with the Denon. When the Samsung turns back on the Denon takes this as a reason to stop sending the signal. Taking Denon out of standby will re-start the HDMI output like Black107 reported.
post #640 of 4624 Old 09-12-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:

Is your Sammy TV HDMI 1.4 with the Audio Return Channel (ARC) feature? If not, you can connect either an optical or RCA cable from the TV to the 591 to pass the audio through your surround speakers.

I have the PN58C8000 Samsung Plasma, and I do believe it does support 1.4 and ARC. If so, is there something I need to do, or setting to change??

Anyone know??
post #641 of 4624 Old 09-12-2010, 06:54 PM

Currently I'm using only 5.1, and have an unpowered subwoofer available. Previously wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memento2 View Post

...I'd really like to "Assign" an amp to to the subwoofer pre-amp signal for modest LF needs.

Perhaps obvious to everyone else, my work around is to feed the sub pre-out back into any spare analog input, and assign that input to Zone 2. Depends on the sub speaker of course, and the amount of LF work offloaded to it, whether the 75 watts/ 8ohms/ 20Hz+ is useful. Good enough for me, and I may press a second old 12" into service on the last amp. Cheers.
post #642 of 4624 Old 09-12-2010, 07:32 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwavs View Post

I have the PN58C8000 Samsung Plasma, and I do believe it does support 1.4 and ARC. If so, is there something I need to do, or setting to change??

Anyone know??

Take a look at p. 45 in your Sammy Owner's manual and it discusses the ARC feature, basically saying that the HDMI cable from the 591 must be connected to HDMI2 on the Sammy.

post #643 of 4624 Old 09-12-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:

Take a look at p. 45 in your Sammy Owner's manual and it discusses the ARC feature, basically saying that the HDMI cable from the 591 must be connected to HDMI2 on the Sammy.

Wow, HDMI2, huh??? Talk about obscure- thanks very much, I will check into that, hopefully it will be a fix......
post #644 of 4624 Old 09-13-2010, 11:45 AM

Just bought the 391 at the local BB. As the Q&A said at the beginning of this thread, it is of an overall cheaper build quality than the rest of the line. I can confirm this, as this unit sounds pretty good, but it just leaves you wishing you had gone with the level up model. Two things that I don't like about it (minor points) is the little "3D" logo on the window, which I really wish wasn't there, and I find the info screen display very hard to read unless you are very close to the unit. I sit about 9 feet away and can barely read it. Maybe I'm just getting old. Nitpicking here again but I miss the metal feet of my old Yamaha reciever, as opposed to the cheap plastic ones on this unit. I didn't even notice it until I had it home. I've owned a couple of other Denon components in the past, this one just doesn't have the same feel.
post #645 of 4624 Old 09-13-2010, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 975
exchange for the 591 and enjoy the sonic improvements of Audyssey, plus an OSD to boot

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #646 of 4624 Old 09-13-2010, 11:28 PM

Liked: 11
I am thinking about upgrading to a denon avr 391 from a Yamaha HTR-5730. I've heard good things about Denon recivers. They are good.
post #647 of 4624 Old 09-13-2010, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
A few questions.

1 is any one having handshake issues with their ps3. Mine has blipped out 2x while watching blu-ray. It will black out for about 2 seconds with no interruptions in audio.

2 my ps3 is a slim and will show the correct audio format for movies. But when playing games I select multi channel stereo. Is this the correct option to choose? Ps3 is set to bit steam via hdmi.

Thanks in advance
post #648 of 4624 Old 09-14-2010, 05:26 AM

Can the inputs be renamed on the AVR-391? I saw some conflicting opinions when I did a thread search. I don't see anything in the documentation. This is a deal-breaker for me.
post #649 of 4624 Old 09-14-2010, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Trivilino View Post

Can the inputs be renamed on the AVR-391? I saw some conflicting opinions when I did a thread search. I don't see anything in the documentation. This is a deal-breaker for me.

My 1611 can. Check in the user manual of the unit you wish to purchase. Or s quick check on crutchfield might mention the feature.
post #650 of 4624 Old 09-14-2010, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:

Hi Herman, the 391 does not have this feature, the lowest model that does is 591.
post #651 of 4624 Old 09-14-2010, 08:05 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobdude View Post

2 my ps3 is a slim and will show the correct audio format for movies. But when playing games I select multi channel stereo. Is this the correct option to choose? Ps3 is set to bit steam via hdmi.

If you use the STANDARD surround mode, it will play the HD audio on movies and simulate 5.1 from 2.0 audio, although some games are already formatted in PCM which would show up as MULT CH IN on the AVR. Mult Ch Stereo simply plays the same stereo signal in all the left and right speakers respectively (rather than a 5.1 surround sound). The correct option is whichever you prefer.

post #652 of 4624 Old 09-14-2010, 08:08 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkraly2004 View Post

I am thinking about upgrading to a denon avr 391 from a Yamaha HTR-5730. I've heard good things about Denon recivers. They are good.

Quote:

As bp notes in post #645, upgrade to either the 591 or 1611 for a little more and you'll gain the benefit of the Audyssey MultEQ speaker calibration system which alone is worth the increase in price. Call Electronics Expo for their best price on the 1611 and it likely won't be for much more than what you would pay for the 391 at a big box store.

post #653 of 4624 Old 09-14-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:

I would go for the 591 to get the Audyssey processing. It is worth it.
post #654 of 4624 Old 09-14-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:

Denon does make very good receivers. The 391 is at the bottom of the line so feature wise it will not have as much to offer. Depends on how you want to use a receiver and how much money you want to use towards receiver versus spending on speakers. 391 model does 5.1 surround versus stepping up to 591/1611 models for 7.1 surround and more options including renaming inputs, Audyssey MultEQ, etc.
post #655 of 4624 Old 09-14-2010, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

the 591 is actually the same as the 391 in terms of channels, they are both 5.1 with the option to expand to 7.1 using the pre-outs. The 391 is restricted to "traditional" 7.1 however, with surround backs being the only option for the pre-outs, whereas the 591 has PLIIz and can also use the pre-outs for "height" speakers.

the 1611 is full 7.1 with 7 amp channels built in.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #656 of 4624 Old 09-14-2010, 09:33 AM

Maybe someone can lead me by the hand here. I'm not getting this 'renaming the inputs'. The labels on the remote control buttons don't change, so what's the point?
post #657 of 4624 Old 09-14-2010, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

it's about the text on the display! and in the source select menu / OSD.

so when you are scrolling through the inputs, it doesn't say "VCR" and "HDP", it says "Wii" and "PS3".

they also sell label makers these days! or just get a Harmony remote

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #658 of 4624 Old 09-14-2010, 08:45 PM

Liked: 11
Got the 591 and have had it set up since the weekend.. Loving it so far- but tonight I tried messing around with the hdmi control- and have the dreaded no sound when turning the receiver off.. Tried batpig's suggestions of turning CEC off/on on my mitsu 65735 but still no luck.. I don't need to have an extra cable running from the cable box to the tv for this to work right?
post #659 of 4624 Old 09-14-2010, 08:48 PM

Is there really any advantage to using CEC instead of a Harmony remote? It seems like for all the struggles people have with this half-implemented "feature", a cheap Harmony would do the trick.

No signature here...
post #660 of 4624 Old 09-14-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:

As bp notes in post #645, upgrade to either the 591 or 1611 for a little more and you'll gain the benefit of the Audyssey MultEQ speaker calibration system which alone is worth the increase in price. Call Electronics Expo for their best price on the 1611 and it likely won't be for much more than what you would pay for the 391 at a big box store.

I'll call, but according to their website, it's $400 plus shipping for the 1611. Best Buy's price on the 391 is $250, and on the 591 is probably $350.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page