*OFFICIAL* Denon AVR 391 / 591 / 1611 Owner's Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #811 of 4624 Old 10-04-2010, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm seriously considering this receiver. Just wondered if anyone here has used it as part of their HTPC. My setup would be PC to Receiver to TV all via HDMI. Anyone have such a set up working smoothly or any issues? Thanks for your help! My PC has an Nvidia 9200 onboard video/audio if that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 4624 Old 10-04-2010, 02:00 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 1345
HTPC video cards sometimes do have issues when connecting to AVRs in general, although it more often has to do with a specific card. If you don't get any responses for your particular card, I would suggest you post a separate thread asking if anyone is using that particular card with ANY Denon AVR or better yet in the general AMPS forum, use the "Search This Forum" button (upper right corner of page) with the keywords "NVIDIA 9200" to see what posts come up. Using the "Search This Thread" and those keywords in this thread results in no entries.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #813 of 4624 Old 10-04-2010, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetmike View Post

I have the 1611 and am having an issue with it. I am running my cable box to the reciever via component and optical. The running to the Samsung C8000 plasma. Now my issue is that sometimes the audio becomes out of sync with the program. It does not happen all then time, but occasionally it will. I replaced the optical and HDMI cords already. What else should I try?

if it is only happening with the cable box, I would just deal with it. you could adjust the AUDIO DELAY setting but it's going to vary from channel to channel (as you note it only happens occasionally) so if you fix it for one program it will just be screwy for the others.

Quote:

Thanks, so far I love this thing, except for this issue and the click when you mute (I can live with that)

you can actually rid of the mute click by setting the mute setting to -40dB (instead of "full mute") in MANUAL SETUP > OPTION SETUP > VOLUME CONTROL. When it's on "full mute" it has to activate a relay to cut the audio (thus the "click") but when you set the mute level to -20 or -40, it doesn't click (it just digitally attenuates the volume).

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #814 of 4624 Old 10-04-2010, 03:10 PM

Got a question about this receiver (591).

Can I connect HDMI #1 and HDMI #2 and get the video from HDMI #1 BUT the audio from HDMI #2?

Also, why does this receiver (like every other receiver) contain so many ancient outdated extinct ports like composite and component? So many modern devices use HDMI and optical (toslink and coax) yet receivers put tons of composite and component ports but rarely any digital ports.
post #815 of 4624 Old 10-04-2010, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Can I connect HDMI #1 and HDMI #2 and get the video from HDMI #1 BUT the audio from HDMI #2?

no, unfortunately. mixing of audio/video from two different HDMI sources is not possible (due to HDMI copyright restrictions).

your best bet (I am assuming you will use this to stream music from a PS3 or other media player while watching TV) is to connect the cable box straight to the TV for video, allowing you to use whatever audio source you want on the receiver.

Quote:

Also, why does this receiver (like every other receiver) contain so many ancient outdated extinct ports like composite and component?

wait, what???? actually, it contains very few legacy connections!! There is only ONE component video input, two composite video inputs, and three analog audio inputs! You think that's a lot?

Quote:

So many modern devices use HDMI and optical (toslink and coax) yet receivers put tons of composite and component ports but rarely any digital ports.

that is, like, the opposite of the truth. Industry wide, entry-level receivers have been moving more and more to almost all HDMI connections with very limited legacy connections. Compare the back panel of the AVR 591 to an entry-level receiver from 3-4 years ago. You have 4 HDMI inputs, plus two digital audio inputs and almost no legacy connections. That is SIX digital audio options and FIVE hi-def video options (4 HDMI + 1 component) versus only three analog audio inputs and three SD video inputs.

This receiver is designed for an all-HDMI setup basically. Your comments are strange, to say the least! Most people complain about the opposite (not having enough legacy connections).

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #816 of 4624 Old 10-04-2010, 03:48 PM

I think you might have misunderstood my question. Can I "block" the audio from HDMI #1 and instead output the audio from HDMI #2? (not necessarily mixing two sources)

Also, does this receiver run hot? is it fanless cooling? Does it include any kind of speaker wires?

Thanks!
post #817 of 4624 Old 10-04-2010, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwok View Post

I think you might have misunderstood my question. Can I "block" the audio from HDMI #1 and instead output the audio from HDMI #2? (not necessarily mixing two sources)

Thanks!

So you want video output from HDMI #1 to tv but want audio to play from HDMI #2, while watch HDMI #1?
post #818 of 4624 Old 10-04-2010, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

but you want to take the audio from one HDMI cable and combine it with the video from a different HDMI cable, right? You said: "Can I get the video from HDMI #1 BUT the audio from HDMI #2?" that is, by definition, mixing sources (video from one source with audio from a different source).

Quote:

Also, does this receiver run hot? is it fanless cooling? Does it include any kind of speaker wires?

Denons do not run that hot, it will get pretty warm towards the back (above the amps and HDMI board) but never painful to the touch if properly ventilated. No fans AFAIK.

No speaker wires are included with any AVR (that's really only when you get a "home theater in a box" setup with speakers included in the package). Just grab a roll of 16-gauge from Monoprice: http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...02&cp_id=10239

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #819 of 4624 Old 10-04-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

So you want video output from HDMI #1 to tv but want audio to play from HDMI #2, while watch HDMI #1?

Exactly and I want to accomplish this without using switches etc. I don't understand why a receiver can't have this kind of functionality.
post #820 of 4624 Old 10-04-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

but you want to take the audio from one HDMI cable and combine it with the video from a different HDMI cable, right? You said: "Can I get the video from HDMI #1 BUT the audio from HDMI #2?" that is, by definition, mixing sources (video from one source with audio from a different source).

Denons do not run that hot, it will get pretty warm towards the back (above the amps and HDMI board) but never painful to the touch if properly ventilated. No fans AFAIK.

No speaker wires are included with any AVR (that's really only when you get a "home theater in a box" setup with speakers included in the package). Just grab a roll of 16-gauge from Monoprice: http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...02&cp_id=10239

Damn, can I at least use HDMI #1 for video and optical input for audio?
post #821 of 4624 Old 10-04-2010, 05:50 PM

Got an additional question.

I'm going to pair the 591 with the Energy 5.1 classic. The main purpose of this is for listening to music and movies. Unfortunately, I keep all the equipment on my work desk and at the moment, the Logitech Z-5500 satellites fit barely fit behind the dual monitor + TV setup.

The "frontend" is right to the wall so there is no way the front+center speakers can sit on stands. I can put them on the floor but my pets will probably use them as scratch posts.

I have determined that the Energy satellites WILL fit behind the monitors.

Do you think that this is a could matchup for the 591? Do you recommend a better set of speakers (max budget is 499)? Should I even get 5.1? The clearance behind the monitor is around 17.2 x 8.9 x 15.2 cm.
post #822 of 4624 Old 10-04-2010, 06:00 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Damn, can I at least use HDMI #1 for video and optical input for audio?

Yes, either digital optical or coax or analog .... just can't be HDMI. Set INPUT MODE for the video source to "Digital."

Quote:

Got an additional question.

I'm going to pair the 591 with the Energy 5.1 classic. The main purpose of this is for listening to music and movies. Unfortunately, I keep all the equipment on my work desk and at the moment, the Logitech Z-5500 satellites fit barely fit behind the dual monitor + TV setup.

The "frontend" is right to the wall so there is no way the front+center speakers can sit on stands. I can put them on the floor but my pets will probably use them as scratch posts.

I have determined that the Energy satellites WILL fit behind the monitors.

Do you think that this is a could matchup for the 591? Do you recommend a better set of speakers (max budget is 499)? Should I even get 5.1? The clearance behind the monitor is around 17.2 x 8.9 x 15.2 cm.

Although the Energy speakers pair up nicely with the AVR, if all speakers are sitting on a desk, where would you place the side surrounds? Perhaps save them for when you have a larger space.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #823 of 4624 Old 10-04-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Yes, either digital optical or coax or analog .... just can't be HDMI. Set INPUT MODE for the video source to "Digital."

Although the Energy speakers pair up nicely with the AVR, if all speakers are sitting on a desk, where would you place the side surrounds? Perhaps save them for when you have a larger space.

Well, this is permanent, my work room and home entertainment room are integrated. When I'm watching TV, I'm at a far enough distance that the rear speakers are in "5.1" mode. When I'm working, the front and rear left speakers are facing me (behind the dual monitors).

I actually wanted to get a Onkyo receiver due to the fact that it comes with 2 optical + 1 coax (which will fit all my devices and allow me to switch audio sources) but I heard they run really hot and are not comparable to the Denon (quality wise). I just wish the Denon had 2 or 3 more optical ports instead of 1.
post #824 of 4624 Old 10-04-2010, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I actually wanted to get a Onkyo receiver due to the fact that it comes with 2 optical + 1 coax (which will fit all my devices and allow me to switch audio sources) but I heard they run really hot and are not comparable to the Denon (quality wise). I just wish the Denon had 2 or 3 more optical ports instead of 1.

If you don't need 3D and ARC, then look into last year models 1610 or 590. May even fine a better deal on 1910 model.
post #825 of 4624 Old 10-05-2010, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I don't understand why a receiver can't have this kind of functionality.

like I said above, the problem is the digital copyright restrictions on HDMI. It also would require two independent HDMI decoders in the receiver, one to decode video data from HDMI-1 and another to decode audio data from HDMI-2.

as JD noted, you can mix sources with HDMI + optical using INPUT MODE. It's just the HDMI/HDMI thing that is a problem.

Quote:

Well, this is permanent, my work room and home entertainment room are integrated. When I'm watching TV, I'm at a far enough distance that the rear speakers are in "5.1" mode. When I'm working, the front and rear left speakers are facing me (behind the dual monitors).

post a picture so we can see the space, it will be invaluable in properly advising you here. If you can't position the speakers properly for surround sound, it may be better to get a nice 2.1 setup (e.g. a small pair of high-end, mini-sized bookshelf speakers + a nice subwoofer).

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #826 of 4624 Old 10-05-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:

l If you can't position the speakers properly for surround sound, it may be better to get a nice 2.1 setup (e.g. a small pair of high-end, mini-sized bookshelf speakers + a nice subwoofer).

Sorry to hijack this post. Out of curiosity, what kind of mini-sized bookshelf speakers do you recommend these days? I was looking at getting two Infinity P152 for the 1611 I have on order (I can only do a 2.1 / 3.1 setup in our living room).
post #827 of 4624 Old 10-05-2010, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

depends on your budget....

P152's are nowhere close to "mini" speakers, those are standard sized bookshelf speakers (13" x 8" x 10"). We're talking about speakers that are like 6 inches tall max.

the OP was worried about THESE speakers fitting!

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #828 of 4624 Old 10-05-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:

depends on your budget....

P152's are nowhere close to "mini" speakers, those are standard sized bookshelf speakers (13" x 8" x 10"). We're talking about speakers that are like 6 inches tall max.

the OP was worried about THESE speakers fitting!

[

Understood. Would these correspond to the CB-5 (if I want to go with just a pair of front speakers) ?
post #829 of 4624 Old 10-05-2010, 11:02 AM

Does the Energy 5.1 take classic system contain 4x CB-5's or a different model (which?)?
post #830 of 4624 Old 10-05-2010, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcontis View Post

Understood. Would these correspond to the CB-5 (if I want to go with just a pair of front speakers) ?

Not exactly sure what you mean, but are you asking what Energy model would be approximately equivalent to the P152's? If so, that would actually be the CB-10 (similar size with 5.5" woofer). The CB-5 is a bit smaller and only has a 4.5" woofer.

Quote:

Does the Energy 5.1 take classic system contain 4x CB-5's or a different model (which?)?

no, they are their own thing. The CB-5's are significantly larger than the Take Classic satellites.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #831 of 4624 Old 10-05-2010, 02:30 PM

Would the AVR 1611 have enough oomph to power a pair of Magneplanar MMG speakers? If anyone has tried this combination please let me know how they sound together.
post #832 of 4624 Old 10-05-2010, 02:48 PM
585-645-1006

Denon AVRs in general don't handle 4 ohm speakers very well much above "average" (ie 20db below reference) volume, especially when they are not very efficient (ie MMG's). If you like to play movies loud then you may want to look at an AVR that has pre-outs for connecting an external amp (eg. Emotiva XPA-3).

post #833 of 4624 Old 10-05-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:

Denon AVRs in general don't handle 4 ohm speakers very well much above "average" (ie 20db below reference) volume, especially when they are not very efficient (ie MMG's). If you like to play movies loud then you may want to look at an AVR that has pre-outs for connecting an external amp (eg. Emotiva XPA-3).

Thanks, since I already purchased the 1611 then I will go with different speakers. Any thoughts on the aperion intimus 4t towers?
post #834 of 4624 Old 10-05-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:

Does this affect the Energy 5.1 classic take system? (I think the satellites are 4ohms? If so, do you recommend some other speakers (rear left will have to be around 3.7" width and 4.7" depth).

It would be nice if there was a stand that I could mount to the desk, that way I maybe able to get bigger speakers without drilling into the desk. So far, I couldn't find any stands like that.
post #835 of 4624 Old 10-05-2010, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

no, the Maggies are a totally different class of speaker meant to be run with high-end amplifiers. The Take Classic are entry level satellites and intended to run on entry-level receivers.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #836 of 4624 Old 10-05-2010, 04:19 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidner6 View Post

Thanks, since I already purchased the 1611 then I will go with different speakers. Any thoughts on the aperion intimus 4t towers?

These are 6 ohm, 86 db speakers so there shouldn't be any issues powering them with the 1611.

Quote:

Does this affect the Energy 5.1 classic take system? (I think the satellites are 4ohms? If so, do you recommend some other speakers (rear left will have to be around 3.7" width and 4.7" depth).

The Energy Take Classic speakers are 8 ohm, 89 db speakers and, along with Jamo speakers, make a great addition to these lower level AVRs.

post #837 of 4624 Old 10-05-2010, 08:51 PM

Thanks to all for the great info, and batpig for the awesome website, was a huge help to setting up my 1611. Love it so far, other than the OSD keeps superimposing the volume level when i adjust it on my tv screen.

I have gone into options and turned MASTER VOLUME to Bottom, Top and OFF, with the goal of removing it off the screen completely, Its driving Me Nuts!! Even reset the whole receiver, but no matter what I do it superimposes on the bottom of TV screen at every setting.

My system is all hooked up via HDMI with a samsung plasma, any advice?
post #838 of 4624 Old 10-05-2010, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by posher View Post

Thanks to all for the great info, and batpig for the awesome website, was a huge help to setting up my 1611. Love it so far, other than the OSD keeps superimposing the volume level when i adjust it on my tv screen.

I have gone into options and turned MASTER VOLUME to Bottom, Top and OFF, with the goal of removing it off the screen completely, Its driving Me Nuts!! Even reset the whole receiver, but no matter what I do it superimposes on the bottom of TV screen at every setting.

My system is all hooked up via HDMI with a samsung plasma, any advice?

Hi posher, try turning Off HDMI-CEC (AnyNet+) feature on your Samsung Tv.
post #839 of 4624 Old 10-05-2010, 10:29 PM

Thanks JChin! That did it, no more volume display. Will I remove any features from the TV by doing so?

Anyone else able to get the BDwise function to work when connecting Samsung Bluray and TVs together, when looping the HDMI through the receiver?

UPDATE:
Turning off HDMI-CEC (AnyNet+) does remove ARC feature to send audio info upstream. So it looks like one or the other, or toggling CEC on and off between movies and TV.
post #840 of 4624 Old 10-06-2010, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

591 installed and tweaked this weekend. Like it a lot. Replaced a pio and it seems cooler and the audessy makes for a better sound field for sure. The bass is still needing to be reeled in but thanks to batpigs guide I've got it mostly under control. Using energy E:XL 25 mains C center and 15 surrounds, ES-10 sub. Very nice match.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page