Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #91 of 4674 Old 06-21-2010, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great Explanation. Thank you.

Looks like I'm eying the 791 now. Probably not a bad choice since I can save buying the iPod dock, which makes it about the same cost as a 591/1611 with iPod dock.

I guess most folks these days use their DVD or BD player for CDs. I just like having a dedicated CD changer too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 4674 Old 06-21-2010, 11:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

By the manual it doesn't seem like the "3D" even lights up.

It doesn't, finally set up my 591 today and there is nothing that indicates when 3D is being sent through the AVR.

Jason

My Twitch Game Stream [PS4/Xone/PC]...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #93 of 4674 Old 06-23-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus66 View Post

Got everything set up the way I wanted it this weekend and went to run the auto setup program, only to find that my 11-year old Definitive Technology subwoofer was non-functional.
I REALLY enjoyed the DT sub's sound - it will be hard to replace.

I guess I'm in the market for a new home-theater subwoofer.

My replacement subwoofer (a BIC F12) arrived yesterday.

Hooked it up and ran the auto setup program again with the Denon mic on a tripod at ear level in (4) listening positions.

Once it was done, I popped the 2009 Star Trek film in my Blu-Ray player.

I was pretty impressed with how everything sounded.
post #94 of 4674 Old 06-23-2010, 10:46 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked: 1492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus66 View Post

Hooked it up and ran the auto setup program again with the Denon mic on a tripod at ear level in (4) listening positions.

As suggested in your Owner's manual, you're better off running all 6 positions rather than only 4 ..... the 1st at the primary listening position and the remaining 5 within a 2' radius around that 1st position.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #95 of 4674 Old 06-24-2010, 06:40 AM

Hello everybody,
Seems this model AVR-1611 on Denon.hk (hong kong) is ONLY 5.1!! I'm quite surprised.

It is a mistake? If not, is it the only difference?
Is there different configurations for the 1611 according the country?
post #96 of 4674 Old 06-24-2010, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 1213
it is not uncommon for Denon to position their models differently in different markets worldwide. I believe the Asian market does not get the "three digit" models (these are intended for US "big box" stores) so, for you, the 1611 represents the "entry level" 5.1 model, with the 1911 serving as the step-up 7.1 model.

Last year's 1610 was 5.1, so I guess they are just preserving that differentiation for your market.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

post #97 of 4674 Old 06-24-2010, 10:33 AM

Got a 591 from onecall. Open-Box deal.

Anyone had any experiences with onecall and open box items.

Seems ok since it is full warranty, not like refurbished.

Should be here tomorrow. Hope the top is not caved-in or something. I assume it is one someone returned.
post #98 of 4674 Old 06-24-2010, 11:02 AM
585-645-1006

Although your 591 may appear to be brand new, it's always a good idea to "reset the microprocessor" first with open box items. This ensures that all settings will be returned to their original factory defaults.

"JD" –

post #99 of 4674 Old 06-24-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Although your 591 may appear to be brand new, it's always a good idea to "reset the microprocessor" first with open box items. This ensures that all settings will be returned to their original factory defaults.

Great, thanks for the reminder.

Hope I didn't get greedy and regret it.
post #100 of 4674 Old 06-24-2010, 12:13 PM
585-645-1006

I doubt it ... often times the "open box" item is in fact brand new, in it's original box and never before opened (although not sure why they sell it as open box).

"JD" –

post #101 of 4674 Old 06-24-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:

I doubt it ... often times the "open box" item is in fact brand new, in it's original box and never before opened (although not sure why they sell it as open box).

We will see if it was worth the $50. They say it is either a return or a display model. Either way I still get the entire warranty.
post #102 of 4674 Old 06-24-2010, 05:18 PM

Thought you guys may want to know that the 591 is now available on Amazon, just picked it up with prime and overnighted it on Saturday for $340. Also picked up the 3 year warranty for 40 dollars. Im going to return my current 591 to bestbuy since I paid the same price with tax without a warranty.
post #103 of 4674 Old 06-24-2010, 05:36 PM
585-645-1006

Why would you pay $40 for a warranty when the Denon comes with a 2 year warranty if bought from an authorized vendor ... of which both Amazon and Best Buy are authorized vendors?

"JD" –

post #104 of 4674 Old 06-24-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:

Why would you pay $40 for a warranty when the Denon comes with a 2 year warranty if bought from an authorized vendor ... of which both Amazon and Best Buy are authorized vendors?

Honestly, this is my first receiver and im pretty terrible at this stuff. You're absolutely right though. I had no idea it was a 2 year warranty, it doesn't say it anywhere on Amazon, which I guess is the point. Thanks for saving me 40 dollars if thats the case! Going to go try and find some denon warranty information now.

Edit: There we go http://www.usa.denon.com/WebWarrHOME-NEW-Apr07a.pdf The only thing is that shipping it to them will probably cost as much as the warranty, and the amazon warranty pays back the cost if they can't fix it for any reason, which is always nice. However, for 40 dollars i'd rather just take the risk and go with the manufacturer. So.. again, thanks! I'll put that towards whatever I have left to spend on speakers now.
post #105 of 4674 Old 06-24-2010, 06:08 PM
585-645-1006

The non-"CI" models in this thread all have 2 year warranties, while the CI models (ie 2311CI, 3311CI, 4311CI) have 3 year warranties.

"JD" –

post #106 of 4674 Old 06-24-2010, 10:01 PM

I'm moving into a new house and am in the process of acquiring all the pieces to my home theater system. So far I have the Denon 591, and (4) 6.5 inch Sonance in-ceiling speakers installed. I still need to purchase a center channel speaker and a sub woofer. I ran the speaker wire for the center channel so that it would be mounted at seated head level below my 50" Panasonic plasma.

I was able to read quite a bit of info on the Denon 591 making me comfortable with my purchase, however, I have not been able to cut through all the clutter out there on a good center channel speaker. I figured I'd ask the pros on this forum! I am looking to spend under $300 and want the best I can get for that price. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. If you have any recommendations for a sub-woofer under $300 that would be great too. A friend recommended the Velodyne 10' Impact.

I have an open floor plan with the living room connecting to the dining room connecting to the kitchen. The distance from my sofa to the tv is about 12 feet.
post #107 of 4674 Old 06-24-2010, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 1213
the best center channel is the one that matches your other speakers as much as possible, it really has nothing to do with the AVR. You may want to post in the speaker forum to see what other people have matched with Sonance in-ceiling.

if you do have a large space to fill, you may want to consider upping the subwoofer budget a bit... maybe $400 for the sub and $200ish for the center.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

post #108 of 4674 Old 06-25-2010, 02:59 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by macbillybob View Post

Got a 591 from onecall. Open-Box deal.

Anyone had any experiences with onecall and open box items.

Seems ok since it is full warranty, not like refurbished.

Should be here tomorrow. Hope the top is not caved-in or something. I assume it is one someone returned.

I have personally bought from onecall.com many time over the past 15 years, including 3 of their open box items. On all occasions the units were in immaculate shape and have worked flawlewssly since, incl my Sony SAT-T60 which was an open box item that I bought from them in 2000 or 2001 and it still works to this day.

Denon AVR-X4000, Panasonic TCP-55VT50, OPPO BDP-103, DirecTV HR44-700, Apple TV
Polk Audio RTi-A9, RTi-A7, RTi-A3, CSi-A6 & DSW PRO 660
post #109 of 4674 Old 06-25-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk68 View Post

I have personally bought from onecall.com many time over the past 15 years, including 3 of their open box items. On all occasions the units were in immaculate shape and have worked flawlewssly since, incl my Sony SAT-T60 which was an open box item that I bought from them in 2000 or 2001 and it still works to this day.

The 591 came today and the box looked factory sealed and everything inside looks like it was never opened.
Haven't hooked it up yet but looks good.
post #110 of 4674 Old 06-25-2010, 05:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastyfleas View Post

I'm moving into a new house and am in the process of acquiring all the pieces to my home theater system. So far I have the Denon 591, and (4) 6.5 inch Sonance in-ceiling speakers installed. I still need to purchase a center channel speaker and a sub woofer. I ran the speaker wire for the center channel so that it would be mounted at seated head level below my 50" Panasonic plasma.

I was able to read quite a bit of info on the Denon 591 making me comfortable with my purchase, however, I have not been able to cut through all the clutter out there on a good center channel speaker. I figured I'd ask the pros on this forum! I am looking to spend under $300 and want the best I can get for that price. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. If you have any recommendations for a sub-woofer under $300 that would be great too. A friend recommended the Velodyne 10' Impact.

I have an open floor plan with the living room connecting to the dining room connecting to the kitchen. The distance from my sofa to the tv is about 12 feet.

Here is a really nice center for the $...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Definiti...&st=definitive

Jason

My Twitch Game Stream [PS4/Xone/PC]...

post #111 of 4674 Old 06-25-2010, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

I hope I'm doing something wrong. Just got my 591 hooked up. I'm using hdmi out to the tv and when I click on "menu" on the remote, I get a black screen with the Menu controls on it. I was expecting an "overlay" with an alpha channel to see through to the current program on the TV.

Also, is there no way to simply toggle the current settings on and off the screen? For example, if I want to see the current surround mode, can I press a single button to see that? Again, I don't want the full black screen, just a small bit of text to show the current surround mode. Possible?

I'm hoping these are just setup issues.

~ Scott LNT5265F, PS3
JBL-CS480, HR20-100

post #112 of 4674 Old 06-25-2010, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnergy View Post

I hope I'm doing something wrong. Just got my 591 hooked up. I'm using hdmi out to the tv and when I click on "menu" on the remote, I get a black screen with the Menu controls on it. I was expecting an "overlay" with an alpha channel to see through to the current program on the TV.

I don't have my new Denon yet, but it was explained in one of these Denon threads that what you're seeing is normal for the lower end models.

post #113 of 4674 Old 06-25-2010, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrogin View Post

I don't have my new Denon yet, but it was explained in one of these Denon threads that what you're seeing is normal for the lower end models.

I'm thinking I should have went for the Onkyo 508. Looks like it has a much better OSD...

~ Scott LNT5265F, PS3
JBL-CS480, HR20-100

post #114 of 4674 Old 06-25-2010, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnergy View Post

I'm thinking I should have went for the Onkyo 508. Looks like it has a much better OSD...

I think you made a good decision to go with Denon even though the OSD isn't as nice as the Onkyo's. I just bought a 1910 (they're on sale now) and had been considering the 508 as well.

I think Denon's use of MultiEQ, DynamicEQ, and DynamicVolume trumps Onkyo's OSD. The effects of the former is something you'll benefit from each time you listen to your 591. But how often will you be using the OSD?

I think Denon made the right value tradeoffs.

post #115 of 4674 Old 06-26-2010, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I think you made a good decision to go with Denon even though the OSD isn't as nice as the Onkyo's. I just bought a 1910 (they're on sale now) and had been considering the 508 as well.

I think Denon's use of MultiEQ, DynamicEQ, and DynamicVolume trumps Onkyo's OSD. The effects of the former is something you'll benefit from each time you listen to your 591. But how often will you be using the OSD?

This is my thought as well. After I did my initial setup, I haven't been back in the OSD.
post #116 of 4674 Old 06-26-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpeters11 View Post

This is my thought as well. After I did my initial setup, I haven't been back in the OSD.

+1

I too looked at higher models in this/last years lineup and seriously considered the 1910 that's currently on sale at Crutchfield. After quite a bit thinking, I decided the current model AVR-591 was more than enough for my needs.

I setup my 591 with the auto setup program, set my HDMI pass-through/standby source and haven't been in the menu since.
post #117 of 4674 Old 06-26-2010, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Hi guys, few questions-

I'm trying to put together my first home theater system and am wondering if the AVR-591 would be a good choice to run my newly acquired Polk CS2+M70+M50 speakers?

I don't plan on buying a 3d tv any time soon, but if you think the 3d option on this receiver is a good piece of mind to have, please let me know.

THANK YOU!

MY NAME IS SUE!!! HOW DO YOU DO!!!

"I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it."
post #118 of 4674 Old 06-26-2010, 08:16 PM
585-645-1006

If you don't plan on buying a 3D TV, then you could save some money going with last year's 590 model, although there likely isn't much difference in their prices.

"JD" –

post #119 of 4674 Old 06-26-2010, 08:17 PM

Just got my 591. Very happy. Only have 5.1, no 3D. new 60" Sharp TV. Definitive speakers.

Sounds good. I watch movies on my LG 550, play a few games on WII.

Did the setup today and it only took one six-pack.
post #120 of 4674 Old 06-26-2010, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

If you don't plan on buying a 3D TV, then you could save some money going with last year's 590 model, although there likely isn't much difference in their prices.

Thanks, yea ill probably just buy the 591 then. Can you confirm this receiver will power my speakers with no struggles?

MY NAME IS SUE!!! HOW DO YOU DO!!!

"I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it."
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page