Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #151 of 4674 Old 06-30-2010, 05:16 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked: 1508
There's no reason you should have to set the TV to PCM as the 1611 can readily decode a DD 5.1 signal from the TV. Set the 1611 to STANDARD (STD) surround mode while the TV is playing the DD 5.1 signal and you should be good to go.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 4674 Old 07-01-2010, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
welp just picked up an AVR-1611 from 6ave.com for $355 shipped.
post #153 of 4674 Old 07-02-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

There's no reason you should have to set the TV to PCM as the 1611 can readily decode a DD 5.1 signal from the TV. Set the 1611 to STANDARD (STD) surround mode while the TV is playing the DD 5.1 signal and you should be good to go.

No, that didn't work either. But thanks for the help.
post #154 of 4674 Old 07-02-2010, 12:43 PM
585-645-1006

Check to make sure the "Decode Mode" setting for the TV source is set to "AUTO" and not "PCM". If it is, then try the "reset the microprocessor" procedure (p. 72) and see if that resolves the issue, otherwise you may have a defective 1611.

"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

post #155 of 4674 Old 07-02-2010, 03:07 PM

Loving my 591 so far, they are powering my two 70's, two 60's and CS2 without any issues. Setup was so simple, although the audyssey auto-setup had some strange results and I had to tweak it to my liking. The center was around -8 which I changed to +2.5 and the front and right left were also very low. The rears were even lower, and I bumped those to be a little lower than the fronts. Distance was correct though as well as the "Size" of the speakers. And everything sounds really great.

Now I do have some questions, I messed around with the dynamic volume because my speech in master HD blu-ray was a bit hard to hear at some points. The dynamic volume seemed to make a difference, but I was a little confused, whats the difference between day, night and midnight? I'm assuming the levels are all different depending on the selection? Does anyone actually use the auto levels or do you all set the absolute values? Also I believe my numbers are center 2.5, front left and right, -4.5 and back left and right -6.5. Does this seem off at all? I have had the volume at around -20 db at these settings. I just did what sounded right, I don't actually understand the technical aspects very much.
post #156 of 4674 Old 07-02-2010, 03:35 PM
585-645-1006

The 591 will set your speaker levels based on their individual efficiencies as well as how they react in your particular room. Those settings will not necessarily be similar to someone else's identical speakers as your room dynamics are different. Dyn Vol works from lower compression (day) to the highest compression (midnight) so the more you want to reduce the impact of loud explosions (for example) you set it up to midnight.

For more clerity in the dialog, set the Dyn EQ Reference Level Offset to either 10 or 15.

"JD" –

post #157 of 4674 Old 07-02-2010, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked: 1252
Quote:

The center was around -8 which I changed to +2.5 and the front and right left were also very low. The rears were even lower, and I bumped those to be a little lower than the fronts. Distance was correct though as well as the "Size" of the speakers. And everything sounds really great.

you should actually reset these channel levels back to the values Audyssey set (easy to do using the "Restore" feature under Auto Setup > Parameter Check). There is a specific reason that they all came out low, namely that Audyssey is calibrating your volume dial so that you get precisely film reference volume with Volume = 0 on the dial. This enables Dynamic EQ to function properly.

All you did with your arbitrary adjustment was change what number is on the volume dial

Quote:

The dynamic volume seemed to make a difference, but I was a little confused, whats the difference between day, night and midnight?

the modes correspond to the level of compression. The "day" mode (e.g. when nobody is asleep) applies very little compensation and will still sound loud.... the strongest "midnight" mode (e.g. the kids/wife are asleep) will compress the loud sounds a lot. Evening is in the middle and is generally the preferred setting for most people.

Note that you don't NEED to have Dynamic Volume engaged, the point of Dynamic Volume is to allow you to set the volume at a comfortable level for dialogue, and then it controls everything else to keep it level with the dialogue volume (the strength will depend on the day/evening/midnight setting). With the "midnight" or "evening" setting, you can turn it up loud to hear the dialogue and not get worried about the effects blasting you out of the room.

Don't worry about the specific number on the display, as long as you are below 0 you are fine. Just turn it up to where dialogue is at a comfortable level to hear, and use Dynamic Volume if the other stuff gets too loud....

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

post #158 of 4674 Old 07-02-2010, 03:38 PM

Interesting, thank you! As for the audyssey auto-setup. I used only two listening positions, because I really wasn't sure what to do there with the microphone. I have my fronts and center right around my tv. And then the two backs are both next to the two seat couch. Thats really the only listening position in my room, so I placed the mic on both sides of the couch. Should I maybe use a different method for the audsyssey autosetup to get better results?

Also, I guess the main problem was. With the audyssey values, my speech was VERY low compared to the rest of the sound. Where the speakers would rumble my room during explosions, but at the same time speech was almost a whisper. When I boosted the center channel to +2.5 that seemed to make a difference. I hadn't tried the dynamic volume though before doing that and I guess I should!
post #159 of 4674 Old 07-02-2010, 03:55 PM
585-645-1006

You're going to want to start with the 1st position as your primary listening position which will be the center of the couch. If the couch is against the wall, then you'll want to place the mic at the foot of the couch at ear level. Then run the remaining 5 positions within a 2' radius around that 1st position.

"JD" –

post #160 of 4674 Old 07-02-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:

You're going to want to start with the 1st position as your primary listening position which will be the center of the couch. If the couch is against the wall, then you'll want to place the mic at the foot of the couch at ear level. Then run the remaining 5 positions within a 2' radius around that 1st position.

You are awesome, batpig as well. Thanks guys. I'll give it a try when I get home tonight.
post #161 of 4674 Old 07-02-2010, 07:54 PM

Ok so I made a ms paint for the positions because im terrible like that, is this about how it should be placed with the microphone or did I completely misunderstand?

Edit: The couch and my TV are about eight feet away from eachother.. and im going to say each circle is 2 feet from the 1st one. Guess I should have made that clear.
post #162 of 4674 Old 07-02-2010, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

looks perfect

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #163 of 4674 Old 07-03-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:

Check to make sure the "Decode Mode" setting for the TV source is set to "AUTO" and not "PCM". If it is, then try the "reset the microprocessor" procedure (p. 72) and see if that resolves the issue, otherwise you may have a defective 1611.

Found it!, for some reason it was on DTS? Go figure, now it works.
Thanks for the help!
post #164 of 4674 Old 07-03-2010, 09:42 AM
585-645-1006

Great. Now go enjoy DD 5.1.

"JD" –

post #165 of 4674 Old 07-03-2010, 01:49 PM

I just purchased the Denon 591 and ran Audyssey set up.
everything is fine except it set the speakers at 60HZ and I don't find an option to change it to 80HZ any help would be much appreciated.
post #166 of 4674 Old 07-03-2010, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

manual setup > speaker setup > crossover frequency

also give a read through the Audyssey section of my FAQ if you haven't already, it expands on what/how you can change settings after running Audyssey:
http://batpigworld.com/fadq.html#audyssey

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #167 of 4674 Old 07-03-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

manual setup > speaker setup > crossover frequency

also give a read through the Audyssey section of my FAQ if you haven't already, it expands on what/how you can change settings after running Audyssey:
http://batpigworld.com/fadq.html#audyssey

Thanks for the help
post #168 of 4674 Old 07-03-2010, 03:08 PM

Hi all. Tomorrow i will probably buy a pack with a AVR-1611 and a SYS-57HT.
My question is on the configuration of the speakers: should i put them as big or small?

Here is some info about the speakers (the AVR listed on the doc is no the one i will get):
xxxx://usa.denon.com/DHT-487DVLit.pdf
(xxxx=http)

Thank you.
post #169 of 4674 Old 07-03-2010, 03:17 PM
585-645-1006

You're going to want to set ALL speakers to SMALL whenever you're using a subwoofer. It doesn't matter what info is available on the speakers. If the Denon sets the mains to LARGE, change them to small and raise any crossovers up to at least 80hz. Any speakers set higher than that can be left alone.

"JD" –

post #170 of 4674 Old 07-04-2010, 06:21 PM

Hey guys, speaking of subwoofers. I have never setup a subwoofer before, and its the only thing that is stumping me right now. Do subs have its own wire type or is there a specific name? I see "Subwoofer cables" at bestbuy, but of course I did not buy those. I'm looking on amazon now for a cheaper version. The connection goes from the pre-out into the left on the sub, I think? The sub im looking at is the klipsch synergy sub-12. It has a left and right output, but i'm assuming only the left is used? Such newbie questions, i'm so sorry.
post #171 of 4674 Old 07-04-2010, 06:40 PM
585-645-1006

You're looking for a "digital coax" cable that is the proper length from the AVR sub pre-out to the sub. If not too short, you can also use a yellow RCA composite video cable.

"JD" –

post #172 of 4674 Old 07-04-2010, 07:45 PM

Thanks! That makes a lot more sense. I'm assuming the left is the one to use on the sub as well. I've been messing with my roommates spare klipsch 12 and I can't seem to get it working, but now im beginning to think the sub is dead. No LED comes on when I plug in the power and put it off auto. I figured a standby should at least come up. Oh well, i'll need to start shopping for a decent sub.
post #173 of 4674 Old 07-04-2010, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramus View Post

Thanks! That makes a lot more sense. I'm assuming the left is the one to use on the sub as well. I've been messing with my roommates spare klipsch 12 and I can't seem to get it working, but now im beginning to think the sub is dead. No LED comes on when I plug in the power and put it off auto. I figured a standby should at least come up. Oh well, i'll need to start shopping for a decent sub.

Hi Ramus, check if the fuse is blown. Most sub has the fuse located near the power cord.
post #174 of 4674 Old 07-04-2010, 07:56 PM

Yep, that's what it is. My roommate was away so he forgot to mention he hooked it up wrong and blew the fuse a few weeks ago. /me facepalms

Im considering buying it off of him cheap and replacing the fuse, as long as it works with that, that is.
post #175 of 4674 Old 07-04-2010, 09:27 PM

Finally got my 591 outta the box this weekend, hooked up my PS3, DTV/Sat and TV and my speakers. Here's my question, as I'm looking for some suggestions:

I have 3 speakers--Front L, Front R and Center Channel. Any suggestions on various play/surround modes that would allow me to get the most of that configuration? I'm a novice at this, and have read the manual and still am not sure what would be best.

I'm not planning on picking up the sub and surrounds until I move, which might be a little while.
post #176 of 4674 Old 07-05-2010, 04:41 AM
585-645-1006

You'll be using the same surround mode that the majority of folks use ... STANDARD (STD on the remote).

"JD" –

post #177 of 4674 Old 07-05-2010, 07:56 PM

Ok I am on my second 591 and have more issues.

First one worked well with everything except regular DVDs and the "home" screen on PS3. It would do nothing but handshake and lose the signal.

Now exchanged that one for a new 591 at Best Buy where I bought it and this new 2nd one handshakes on regular cable watching as well as any aspect of PS3 usage. All connections have been tripled checked, I have changed HDMI cables numerous times to check them and all have been replaced.

I am so aggravated with this receiver I could toss it off my balcony. I have done a hard reset on it and all that. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
post #178 of 4674 Old 07-06-2010, 05:27 AM
585-645-1006

dan94tt -

Although handshake issues with cable boxes are quite common using any brand of AVR, there shouldn't be any issue using the PS3. First make sure to try using all (4) of the HDMI jacks with the PS3 as they are likely not all spec'd the same for some reason. Next do the same with the cable box, trying the remaining available HDMI jacks. If the PS3 now works but the cable still doesn't, connect the cable box with a component/optical connection to the 591 instead of HDMI. When you say you did a hard reset, did you reset the microprocessor (p. 70)?

"JD" –

post #179 of 4674 Old 07-06-2010, 06:32 AM

Now that I've had the 591 up and running for a couple weeks now, I have some questions. Forgive the audio-noobishness.

1. Sometimes my Xbox 360 shows up in stereo (and hence only uses the front speakers) and sometimes in DD 5.1 (which sounds great). The Xbox itself is set to output DD 5.1. This happens independent of what's being played - one game I was playing sounded dull and there was no surround (591 was showing stereo mode), and then last night it all of the sudden is showing DD 5.1 and the surround is flipped on. I had previously assumed that the game just didn't support 5.1, which puzzled me. I also noticed that when it's in stereo mode, there's a distinct lip sync issue with the Xbox. It was not noticeable when I was in DD 5.1 mode last night. The PS3 shows PCM and "MULTI CH IN", so I know that's set up properly.

2. I've noticed when watching cable that the lip sync varies greatly depending on the channel. Would this be dependent on the source audio encoding, or just the source in general?

No signature here...
post #180 of 4674 Old 07-06-2010, 06:40 AM
585-645-1006

1. The next time you're receiving a stereo signal from the xBox, press the STANDARD button on the remote to change the surround mode to STANDARD which will then use DD PLII to simulate 5.1 surround audio.

2. Based on the channel source broadcast. Try changing to another channel and then back to the original channel as sometimes that will resolve the audio delay.

"JD" –

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page