*OFFICIAL* Denon AVR 391 / 591 / 1611 Owner's Thread - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #241 of 4674 Old 07-26-2010, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there a way to control audio delay directly from the remote, without using the menu overlay? I've tried multiple avenues to getting the lip sync issues ironed out for TV and nothing's seemed to work. Auto lip sync, changing the video processing to "game"(I thought the 591 didn't do any processing at all!), etc.

I'd also never noticed lip sync problems with games until I started using the HDMI through this receiver. Doesn't this imply that the video is actually getting processed and not just passed through? I've never had problems going through a pure HDMI switch, where I just sent video to the TV and the audio to my old receiver via optical/coax. It seems like everything going through one cable to the receiver rather than being split should make this seamless, but it doesn't seem to be.

No signature here...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 4674 Old 07-26-2010, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 1283
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdameron View Post

I don't want to upgrade rears just to have them set to Small again.

read this: http://www.audyssey.com/blog/2009/05/small-vs-large/

while I realize you don't have a subwoofer... you are still falling into the silly trap of taking a "small" speaker setting as an insult

small vs. large is not a question of your manhood, or that of your speakers; it's just a bass management switch! even if you get better surrounds, and even if you don't get a sub, they still may work better as "small" if your front speakers have better bass capabilities. The whole point is to distribute the low bass to the speaker(s) that is most capable of handling it.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #243 of 4674 Old 07-26-2010, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksonknight View Post

Is there a way to control audio delay directly from the remote, without using the menu overlay? I've tried multiple avenues to getting the lip sync issues ironed out for TV and nothing's seemed to work. Auto lip sync, changing the video processing to "game"(I thought the 591 didn't do any processing at all!), etc.

I'd also never noticed lip sync problems with games until I started using the HDMI through this receiver. Doesn't this imply that the video is actually getting processed and not just passed through? I've never had problems going through a pure HDMI switch, where I just sent video to the TV and the audio to my old receiver via optical/coax. It seems like everything going through one cable to the receiver rather than being split should make this seamless, but it doesn't seem to be.

while the AVR is not "processing" the video in the sense of changing anything, there is inherently going to be some delay as the video goes through the circuitry of the AVR and the signal gets repeated. The AVR may also automatically delay the video signal a bit to have it not get ahead of the audio processing (which is typically the part that causes the most delay).

unfortunately, no way to access audio delay from the remote. If you had a Harmony or other programmable universal, there are codes for direct access available. When you adjust delay, try it in 20 or 30ms increments, which may help you hone in on the right setting.

also remember this delay setting is input specific, so if you make changes on the cable box input it won't affect the other inputs.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #244 of 4674 Old 07-26-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

read this: http://www.audyssey.com/blog/2009/05/small-vs-large/

while I realize you don't have a subwoofer... you are still falling into the silly trap of taking a "small" speaker setting as an insult

small vs. large is not a question of your manhood, or that of your speakers; it's just a bass management switch! even if you get better surrounds, and even if you don't get a sub, they still may work better as "small" if your front speakers have better bass capabilities. The whole point is to distribute the low bass to the speaker(s) that is most capable of handling it.

Gotcha! So say I got the exact same speakers as my fronts for my surround... and they handle bass just fine. Would you set the rears as Large also?
post #245 of 4674 Old 07-26-2010, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

if your rears are identical with your front speakers, and no subwoofer in the system, I would go ahead and set the rears to "large" manually.

the receiver probably WILL set them to "small" after auto setup, but you just manually override this setting. Obviously, there is no point in distributing bass from one identical speaker to the other.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #246 of 4674 Old 07-26-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:

while the AVR is not "processing" the video in the sense of changing anything, there is inherently going to be some delay as the video goes through the circuitry of the AVR and the signal gets repeated. The AVR may also automatically delay the video signal a bit to have it not get ahead of the audio processing (which is typically the part that causes the most delay).

unfortunately, no way to access audio delay from the remote. If you had a Harmony or other programmable universal, there are codes for direct access available. When you adjust delay, try it in 20 or 30ms increments, which may help you hone in on the right setting.

also remember this delay setting is input specific, so if you make changes on the cable box input it won't affect the other inputs.

Ah, just now saw the Harmony codes - will program the audio delay one in tonight. Should be able to fix it at least for my Cable input.

Does the auto lip sync delay video or audio? I'm still playing around with this setting to determine how much it effects what I'm seeing.

No signature here...
post #247 of 4674 Old 07-26-2010, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I have no idea how "auto lipsync" works, it's an HDMI thing.... which means it may make things worse instead of better!

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #248 of 4674 Old 07-26-2010, 11:07 AM

I picked up the 591 yesterday with some Boston Acoustics speakers and sub. I mainly went on the recommendations from the owners in this thread and I can't wait to hook it up. I had to order some accessories from monoprice and I hope they will arrive tomorrow. I will definitely let you guys know how it goes, and I am sure that I will have some questions.
post #249 of 4674 Old 07-26-2010, 12:39 PM
sfm

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So I picked up a 591 and paired it with a Denon 602ci video processor that AVS is selling for a steal (IMO). Have the source devices (cable box, Oppo BD-80, JVC D-VHS, PS3, XBOX 360, HTPC) wired to the VP and then hdmi out on the VP to the 591 (HDMI1 in) and then 591 hdmi out to the tv (Pioneer 111fd plasma).

So for less than $1000 I feel I have an audio/video processing setup comparable to rigs costing thousands more so am a happy camper for the most part.

My only major complaint is the restriction on input assignment that the 591 (and most lower end AVRs I have noticed) impose: Not being able to assign the HDMI1 input to more than one "input" (TV, DVD, BD, etc.) the 591 offers... such a lame restriction... I'm no hardware engineer but can't see any technical reason for this restriction. This would allow me to maintain per-input audio settings (by assigning the same HDMI input to more than one "input" on the 591) and also allow for the per-input video settings (on the 602ci) that I currently enjoy.

Oh well, since I feel the per-input video settings are more important than the per-input audio settings I will leave it set up this way.

But for those of you looking for a nice audio/video setup for less than a grand I sure would recommend this pair.
post #250 of 4674 Old 07-26-2010, 01:01 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1051 Post(s)
Liked: 1510
Congrats! Definitely a great way to go if video quality is a primary concern.

Have you considered using a 1x4 HDMI splitter?

---------------------------------
"JD" –
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #251 of 4674 Old 07-26-2010, 01:25 PM

Glad I found this forum because I think I'm going to need it to set up my 591.

I bought the DHT-591BA HTIB. I got everything hooked up but there are 8 small black plugs with white tips left over in a bag. I don't know what this is for and I couldn't find any information on them in the manual.

Anyone have an idea?

Thanks in advance.
post #252 of 4674 Old 07-26-2010, 01:34 PM
585-645-1006

Considering it's a HTIB, perhaps they are trying to make the speaker wire connection easier for you ....like banana plugs. Give the vendor a call. They'll probably know for sure.

"JD" –
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

post #253 of 4674 Old 07-26-2010, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee009 View Post

I bought the DHT-591BA HTIB. I got everything hooked up but there are 8 small black plugs with white tips left over in a bag. I don't know what this is for and I couldn't find any information on them in the manual.

Anyone have an idea?

Thanks in advance.

Hi johnlee009, are they round and rubble with white peel off sticker? If so they are used when hanging the speakers as a foot to lean against the wall.
post #254 of 4674 Old 07-26-2010, 01:45 PM
585-645-1006

Hadn't thought of that ... bet that it's though ... 4 plugs for each speaker corner.

"JD" –

post #255 of 4674 Old 07-26-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi johnlee009, are they round and rubble with white peel off sticker? If so they are used when hanging the speakers as a foot to lean against the wall.

That explains it! Haha thanks. I wouldn't have bothered to check behind the speakers to match the size of the round rubble plugs.
post #256 of 4674 Old 07-26-2010, 03:10 PM

Can anyone comment on how the DHT-591BA HTIB comes boxed? Does it come in a single box or two boxes? (one for the receiver and one for the speakers).

If it's only one box, does it have smaller boxes inside?

I'm about to travel to the US, and I'm thinking on getting one, but need to make sure I can transport it.

Thank you
post #257 of 4674 Old 07-26-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablin View Post

Can anyone comment on how the DHT-591BA HTIB comes boxed? Does it come in a single box or two boxes? (one for the receiver and one for the speakers).

If it's only one box, does it have smaller boxes inside?

I'm about to travel to the US, and I'm thinking on getting one, but need to make sure I can transport it.

Thank you

Receiver and speakers are inside one big box. But inside it is in two smaller boxes...one for the receiver and one for the speakers plus sub.

Here are the sizes in inches LxWxH:

-Receiver box size approximately 20x20.5x10

-Speakers box size approximately 19x15.5x19.5

It is pretty darn heavy too!
post #258 of 4674 Old 07-26-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:

Receiver and speakers are inside one big box. But inside it is in two smaller boxes...one for the receiver and one for the speakers plus sub.

Here are the sizes in inches LxWxH:

-Receiver box size approximately 20x20.5x10

-Speakers box size approximately 19x15.5x19.5

It is pretty darn heavy too!

Thank you! I could not find that information anywhere online!
post #259 of 4674 Old 07-26-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:

Anyone have an idea?

Thanks in advance.

I just bought that set yesterday. I can't wait to hook it up, please comment back on how you like it.

Also, I am a noob at home audio. I would like to do the HDMI pass through, but was wondering what the ramifications are on the receiver, by leaving it in standby mode all the time. Am I better off to hook up a toslink for TV viewing? Or should I be fine leaving the receiver in standby? I will want to watch everything in surround sound, but I know the GF wont. Thanks guys!
post #260 of 4674 Old 07-26-2010, 04:59 PM
585-645-1006

You'll be fine leaving it in Standby mode. This year's Denon AVRs are much more efficient in HDMI Control Standby mode and only use 3W (vice the 30W using last year's models). Although you may end up connecting optical to the AVR anyway if you have any HDMI handshake issues with your cable/sat box.

"JD" –

post #261 of 4674 Old 07-26-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

You'll be fine leaving it in Standby mode. This year's Denon AVRs are much more efficient in HDMI Control Standby mode and only use 3W (vice the 30W using last year's models). Although you may end up connecting optical to the AVR anyway if you have any HDMI handshake issues with your cable/sat box.

How do you put receiver in standby mode? I have no idea.
Thanks.
post #262 of 4674 Old 07-26-2010, 08:20 PM
585-645-1006

When you press the power button to turn the AVR off, it actually goes into Standby mode. Unlike previous year's models, the only way to turn a 2011 model AVR completely off is to unplug it.

Regular standby (0.1W) = No HDMI pass through

HDMI Control standby (3W) = Set HDMI Control to ON and HDMI Standby Source to either LAST or a specific HDMI jack you want to pass through

"JD" –

post #263 of 4674 Old 07-27-2010, 04:02 AM

Thanks, jdsmoothie
post #264 of 4674 Old 07-28-2010, 08:54 AM

Any help would be much appreciated.

I have the 591 and have all connected with HDMI cables.
At first when i powered up it always said HDMI in left corner of my
tv screen and on screen display would work. Now it shows channel 3 only
the number required for cable box.
Have disconnected, powered off all components reconnected & changed HDMI
cables. Still no onscreen display.
Any ideas what i might try next?
Thanks.
post #265 of 4674 Old 07-28-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntechbug View Post

Any help would be much appreciated.

I have the 591 and have all ccomponets connected with HDMI cables.
At first when i powered up it always said HDMI in left corner of my
tv screen and on screen display would work. Now it shows channel 3 only
the number required for cable box.
Have disconnected, powered off all componets reconnected & changed HDMI
cables. Still no onscreen display.
Any ideas what i might try next?
Thanks.

Is your cable box set to output through HDMI?
post #266 of 4674 Old 07-28-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdameron View Post

Is your cable box set to output through HDMI?

Thank you for reply.
I am not sure it's set to output.
How can i check this?
post #267 of 4674 Old 07-28-2010, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

if your TV says "channel 3" then it's not on the right input!

switch to the HDMI input that the Denon is plugged into

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #268 of 4674 Old 07-28-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:

if your TV says "channel 3" then it's not on the right input!

switch to the HDMI input that the Denon is plugged into

Okay checked cable box, set up and all seems right.

I know this is stupid but how would i switch to the HDMI with the Denon?
i have it set to auto is this what you mean?
post #269 of 4674 Old 07-28-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntechbug View Post

Okay checked cable box, set up and all seems right.

I know this is stupid but how would i switch to the HDMI with the Denon?
i have it set to auto is this what you mean?

No, leave the Denon alone and set your Television's input to the HDMI port that you're using. Hit the 'Input' button on your TV remote till it goes to the correct HDMI input.

Set the Denon to cable box.
post #270 of 4674 Old 07-28-2010, 09:58 AM

I checked all of the above now a screen popup says i should connect
to Y PB PR. The receiver does not have the red white and yellow color code
as my cable box and cable i am using. But i connected same way in each one.
Not sure what settings to use for this as far as tv cable box and receiver to see if it will work this way.
Any suggestions?
Thank you.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page