Receiver Comparison (+Speaker Question) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 05-28-2010, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Jeroyds's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to buy a receiver for my room, right now everything is just running through the TV. Here's my current setup:

BEV Receiver (HDMI)
360 (HDMI)
PS3 (HDMI)
Wii (Component)

I also have a Numark TT200 vinyl record player I'd like to hook up.

Right now, I'm just looking to buy a receiver to use with an old set of speakers that have probably been here since the 80's. The speakers are Accusound ASX-37 -- I couldn't find anything online about them. Here is the info on the back:

I'll upgrade them eventually, but this receiver purchase is mainly for the use of my record player.

Here are the 2 receivers I've been looking at:

Sony STR800 or Pioneer VSX-520-K

So my questions are, which receiver is better at this price and will these old speakers actually work with the new receiver?

Edit: Here is a picture of the information on the back of the speakers.
Jeroyds is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 05-28-2010, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Jeroyds's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Post 2
Jeroyds is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 05-28-2010, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Jeroyds's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Post 3
Jeroyds is offline  
post #4 of 13 Old 05-28-2010, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Jeroyds's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry, the forum wouldn't allow me to link until my 3rd post.

Here is some information on the receivers and speakers.

Speaker Information

Sony STRDH800

Pioneer VSX-520-K

Edit: My Price in CDN for the receivers is: Sony - $349, Pioneer - $329.

Thanks!
Jeroyds is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 05-28-2010, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
phantom52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: TX
Posts: 7,086
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I hope you realize that neither of the AVR's you have chosen do NOT have phono inputs. Sorry about that. Welcome to the forum. Someone will help you find what you need in a price range you can afford.
phantom52 is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 05-28-2010, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Jeroyds's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

I hope you realize that neither of the AVR's you have chosen do NOT have phono inputs.

I did not realize this, thats why I'm posting here, haha.

I've just some some searching, right now I'm using a pre-amp -> computer speakers for the record player, can I incorporate the pre-amp somehow? Sorry, I really have no clue when it comes to this stuff.
Jeroyds is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 05-28-2010, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
phantom52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: TX
Posts: 7,086
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroyds View Post

I did not realize this, thats why I'm posting here, haha.

I've just some some searching, right now I'm using a pre-amp -> computer speakers for the record player, can I incorporate the pre-amp somehow? Sorry, I really have no clue when it comes to this stuff.

You may want to give the Onkyo 707 a look. Check out the prices for these at Newegg on Saturdays.
phantom52 is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 05-28-2010, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Jeroyds's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

You may want to give the Onkyo 707 a look. Check out the prices for these at Newegg on Saturdays.

Ahh, quite a bit out of my price range. Will the pre-amp to receiver suffice?

Edit: Here is the pre-amp I have.

http://www.apexelectronics.com/produ...4&cat=25&id=42
Jeroyds is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 05-28-2010, 12:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
MichaelJHuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 18,881
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 109
You can add an external phono pre amp for less than $50 as I recall. I fail to see the reason to spend more than that on what I view as a basic amplifier with RIAA EQ (mandatory on phono pre amps.)

"But this one goes up to 11"
MichaelJHuman is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 05-28-2010, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Jeroyds's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

You can add an external phono pre amp for less than $50 as I recall. I fail to see the reason to spend more than that on what I view as a basic amplifier with RIAA EQ (mandatory on phono pre amps.)

Good news, thanks.

Now, will the speakers work fine with either receiver? I know they're very old :\\
Jeroyds is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 05-28-2010, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
phantom52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: TX
Posts: 7,086
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroyds View Post

Ahh, quite a bit out of my price range. Will the pre-amp to receiver suffice?

Edit: Here is the pre-amp I have.

http://www.apexelectronics.com/produ...4&cat=25&id=42

Yes, that should work with either of them. And the speakers should work fine also.
phantom52 is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 05-28-2010, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Jeroyds's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

Yes, that should work with either of them. And the speakers should work fine also.

Awesome, thanks for your help.

Which brand would you recommend? Sony or Pioneer?
Jeroyds is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 05-28-2010, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
phantom52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: TX
Posts: 7,086
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroyds View Post

Awesome, thanks for your help.

Which brand would you recommend? Sony or Pioneer?

Pioneer......easily.
phantom52 is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off