New 2010 Onkyo TX-NR708. TX-NR808 & TX-NR1008 AV Receivers! - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 324 Old 10-02-2010, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
stevea361,

I guess we have same issue. not sure why or how to fix. But even after Auddesy setup, seems like I have to crank the volume up to 50 before sound is decent to hear.
At 20-30%, it sounds like a whisper until I reach 40%.

I play around with .db adjustment in the speaker setup settings, it help a little but no true fix.

in your case, I think there is the "Intellivolume" settings you can adjust per input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 324 Old 10-05-2010, 06:09 AM

Thanks for the advice, I am going to call Onkyo and see what they say. The sound is great and it does get load enough so its not a huge issue, just different than what I am used to. The biggest thing for me is no Auto format decode. I hate playing with the setting between shows.
post #303 of 324 Old 10-06-2010, 12:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea361 View Post

The biggest thing for me is no Auto format decode. I hate playing with the setting between shows.

Don't you just set and forget? The receiver remembers the last setting you use!
post #304 of 324 Old 10-11-2010, 09:35 PM

stevea361,

any luck with onkyo support about low sound volume?
I haven't got around to call them.
post #305 of 324 Old 10-20-2010, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johng View Post

Received a new Onkyo TX-NR708 yesterday from my local dealer. Since it was replacing a 707, I figured the swap-out/set-up to be pretty simple. It was, but there were a couple of surprises.

First, upon starting the Audssey set-up I noticed the on-screen speaker display shows 2 subs rather than 1 on the 707.

Second, the Audssey set-up now asks you to set your sub(s) to 75db and sends some test tones and measures them so you can do this without the need for a SPL meter. Cool...so I thought, but while setting the levels I couldn't help but think "volume is too low". The volume was significantly lower than it had been with the 707. My first movie-test confirmed my suspiscions.

Setting your subs takes time and Audssey (at least as used in these receivers) only gets you about 1/3rd of the way there.

That having been said, I did the swap and calibration in less than an hour. That included manually settting the cross over points and running Audssey. Of course, by personal default, I set the video output to "Through" and the video processor to "Skip". The (new) Onkyo manual still recommends this (though the recommendation is burried on page 22).

I'll be delving into the rest of the features and set-up over the weekend. I use external amps, so I can't say I noticed any "difference" in sound quality. It sounds great.

Hi John,
Could you please confirm that with an Onkyo 708, you're able to calibrate each subwoofer individually and seperately using the Audyssey setup? i.e does it set individual levels and distances?

I'm looking for a AV receiver that does exactly this in my limited budget (choices are Denon 2311 or Onkyo 708), because I have 2 subs of different makes and at different distances from the listening sweet spot, and was hoping the Onkyo 708 would fit the bill (since the Denon 2311 is basically a Y cable setup for the sub pre-outs internally treats both subs are one).

Thanks!

Thanks!
post #306 of 324 Old 10-26-2010, 05:01 PM

I couldn't get a sure answer about it: Does the 708 works over ethernet with OSX?
I know it's Win7 compatible, but I can't seem to find this info.
Will I be able to play my Itunes music folder (mp3s and more important FLACs) over streaming using Onkyo's OSD on the TV or does it also work by playing it directly from the Itunes app on my macbook pro?

Thanks!

"Forget the picture on your tv screen"
Martin Gore -Depeche Mode
post #307 of 324 Old 10-28-2010, 11:56 AM

I'm looking into buying a new receiver and was hoping I could get some help. I apologize, but I haven't read this entire thread or the one specific to the 708. Please also understand that any of these three or others in this class will be a major bump for me, so it isn't an option to stick with what I've got and it be just as good. I don't know how I feel about buying a used, last-gen model at a good discount, but I would at least consider it.

My question is, what are the main feature differences (or issues one model might have that the others do not) between the NR708, 808 and 1008? The obvious things that stand out to me are the number of channels (and additional zones), watts per channel some minor aesthetic differences. I'm sorry to say that I am not as familiar with audio equipment as I could be, so some of the things like which chips and other components are used and what features they all have don't necessarily mean a lot.

My current setup is woefully inadequate, but honestly, I don't think I will be moving soon, so that may not change right off. If I can "future-proof" a bit, that would be good. My current speakers are from a low-end HTIB, so there will be no issue powering them with any of these and my living room is small, so I don't need to blow out the windows, but those things could change. One thing I do want to make sure is as good as possible is the HDMI switching/passthru. My TV only has 2 HDMI ports, which are currently used. I may buy a Blu-ray player soon and would want it to go through HDMI as well. These three units may use the same technology in that regard.

Sorry for the long-winded post. Any help or advice is appreciated.
post #308 of 324 Old 11-02-2010, 03:03 PM

Does anyone have any thoughts/advice related to my question above? I think I will wait to see what Black Friday sales are going on this year, but I would like to know which unit I want to buy before then.
post #309 of 324 Old 11-03-2010, 01:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SynergyNT View Post

I'm looking into buying a new receiver and was hoping I could get some help. I apologize, but I haven't read this entire thread or the one specific to the 708. Please also understand that any of these three or others in this class will be a major bump for me, so it isn't an option to stick with what I've got and it be just as good. I don't know how I feel about buying a used, last-gen model at a good discount, but I would at least consider it.

My question is, what are the main feature differences (or issues one model might have that the others do not) between the NR708, 808 and 1008? The obvious things that stand out to me are the number of channels (and additional zones), watts per channel some minor aesthetic differences. I'm sorry to say that I am not as familiar with audio equipment as I could be, so some of the things like which chips and other components are used and what features they all have don't necessarily mean a lot.

My current setup is woefully inadequate, but honestly, I don't think I will be moving soon, so that may not change right off. If I can "future-proof" a bit, that would be good. My current speakers are from a low-end HTIB, so there will be no issue powering them with any of these and my living room is small, so I don't need to blow out the windows, but those things could change. One thing I do want to make sure is as good as possible is the HDMI switching/passthru. My TV only has 2 HDMI ports, which are currently used. I may buy a Blu-ray player soon and would want it to go through HDMI as well. These three units may use the same technology in that regard.

Sorry for the long-winded post. Any help or advice is appreciated.

I've only just recently purchased, so I'm not well-versed in the 1008 (out of my price range!), but the main difference in the 708/808 is how it handles the upconverting. The 708 will only upconvert over HDMI, whereas the 808 will over component as well (with some limitations; I think it will only pass 1080p from a 1080p source). The 708 will also only play the composite/svid/pc sources on their respective outputs or on HDMI, not on component.

Additionally, the onscreen menus are only output to HDMI on the 708, & on all outputs on the 808.

I believe the form factor is identical on both units. (edit: the 808 & 1008 have fold-out front panels.)

Onkyo has a "compare" function for all models on their website, very useful.
post #310 of 324 Old 11-03-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post

I've only just recently purchased, so I'm not well-versed in the 1008 (out of my price range!), but the main difference in the 708/808 is how it handles the upconverting. The 708 will only upconvert over HDMI, whereas the 808 will over component as well (with some limitations; I think it will only pass 1080p from a 1080p source). The 708 will also only play the composite/svid/pc sources on their respective outputs or on HDMI, not on component.

Additionally, the onscreen menus are only output to HDMI on the 708, & on all outputs on the 808.

I believe the form factor is identical on both units. (edit: the 808 & 1008 have fold-out front panels.)

Onkyo has a "compare" function for all models on their website, very useful.

Thanks for the reply. I've used the compare function on their site, but that gets back to my ignorance of what certain features actually do as to whether it's something I think I would use.
post #311 of 324 Old 11-11-2010, 09:48 AM

I've done some more research and determined that Neural Surround is probably not necessary for me and a 9.2 setup seems excessive, so I've pretty much ruled out the 1008.

I've read about network and volume issues with the 708 or 808 that may have been fixed by recent firmware updates. Can anyone confirm whether these models still have those issues with the latest firmware?

Again, if anyone has other thoughts of why one model is the better choice over the other, I'm listening.
post #312 of 324 Old 11-12-2010, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

I've done some more research and determined that Neural Surround is probably not necessary for me and a 9.2 setup seems excessive, so I've pretty much ruled out the 1008.

I've read about network and volume issues with the 708 or 808 that may have been fixed by recent firmware updates. Can anyone confirm whether these models still have those issues with the latest firmware?

Again, if anyone has other thoughts of why one model is the better choice over the other, I'm listening.

I would get the 708 if you plan on buying a power amp down the road but if not then spending the extra money on the 808 might make it a bit future proof.

If you plan on just keeping your speakers and not adding an amp, then I'd get something else like the 508 or 608... I would also question the need to buy anything at all. Hope this helps.
post #313 of 324 Old 11-30-2010, 09:11 PM

Question, So all in all the NR708 is a decent receiver for the basic home system? I just want a good receiver that I will be able to use for years to come watching football and movies, and occasionally using the secondary audio in another part of the house.

currently I can get the NR708 at onecall.com for $549 or at Crutchfield for $599
post #314 of 324 Old 12-01-2010, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woj027 View Post

Question, So all in all the NR708 is a decent receiver for the basic home system? I just want a good receiver that I will be able to use for years to come watching football and movies, and occasionally using the secondary audio in another part of the house.

currently I can get the NR708 at onecall.com for $549 or at Crutchfield for $599

You can get it at NewEgg for $549 as well. I don't know if OneCall charges tax or shipping, but at NewEgg you should get it without those.
post #315 of 324 Old 12-01-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:

You can get it at NewEgg for $549 as well. I don't know if OneCall charges tax or shipping, but at NewEgg you should get it without those.

so, it's well worth the price? I need to put together a good budget for my accountant (wife), else I'm not getting anything.
post #316 of 324 Old 12-01-2010, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by woj027 View Post

so, it's well worth the price? I need to put together a good budget for my accountant (wife), else I'm not getting anything.

I won't get into the sound, because that is subjective (but I'm happy with mine!), but the 708 is, I think, one of the more feature-rich receivers on the market today for the price point. I don't think you'll match the connectivity (including s-video, phono and vga inputs) and options (internet radio, ipod control via usb) with any other model.

Be sure to check Onkyo's site for a list of authorized dealers. Onkyo offers a 2-year warranty, but only if you purchase through the authorized channels (newegg and onecall are on there).

http://www.us.onkyo.com/locations_intdealer.cfm
post #317 of 324 Old 12-01-2010, 10:15 PM

[quote=thebard;19574769]I won't get into the sound, because that is subjective (but I'm happy with mine!), but the 708 is, I think, one of the more feature-rich receivers on the market today for the price point. I don't think you'll match the connectivity (including s-video, phono and vga inputs) and options (internet radio, ipod control via usb) with any other model.

Be sure to check Onkyo's site for a list of authorized dealers. Onkyo offers a 2-year warranty, but only if you purchase through the authorized channels (newegg and onecall are on there).

thanks... I don't have any speakers lined up yet, but volume shouldn't be an issue. The current Sony Blu-Ray surround system I have is pretty good, but I'm shooting more for the rear speaker sound and a good center channel ( my wife is a bit deaf when it comes to conversations).
post #318 of 324 Old 12-13-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMoses View Post

Here goes from the top.

Setup the new Onkyo TX-NR808 the other day and all went well. I have had Onkyo receivers for over 10 years. I quickly went through and had everything setup pretty quickly. Had a little snafu with the Wii and had to use component 1 and the PC audio inputs. The rest of the components (PS3, 360 and DirectTV HD receiver ) all have HDMI and were fine.

Great! Now to setup the USB/NETWORK portion of the system. Strange I could not get anything to come up other then "Initializing". Started to look around and realized that if you unplug both ends of the cable and plug them back in while the unit is on, you can get to the network... Hmmmm. Changed out the switch, no good, Changed the Ethernet cable, no good. Ran the cable directly to the router, no good. Ran the cable directly to the cable modem, no good.

To make a long story short I tried everything that I could. I run a tech business so we have a lot of these things in stock. No combination changed anything... Once the unit was on the network it worked well but if you turned the unit off or went to stand-by the network would come up "initializing"..

Started to look around and found a firmware update. Good deal here we go. The firmware update went throguh and I am thinking "Right on this has to fix it!"... Wrong.

The firmware that I updated to is #1031-0500-0010-2103

After this failed we went ahead and downloaded the version from the web and tired to go the USB route. Could not do it cause the unit said that we had the latest version on their already...

So.... I emailed Onkyo... Man....

Here is the text from them.....

Thank You for contacting Onkyo USA Product Support.

We apologize for the delay in responding to your email. We are experiencing a heavy volume of inquiries. We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Hi Dave,

Go ahead and doing the firmware update with a USB Flash drive and that is able to go through.

Thank you,
Marc H.

Again, thank you for contacting Onkyo and Integra USA Product Support, if you need further assistance feel free to call us at:

Marc,

We have tried multiple cables, with a switch without a switch, 100 gig, 1000 gig and all have the same result. The receiver sticks in the initializing mode. If you disconnect both ends of the Ethernet cable the initializing ends and you can see the network from the receiver. Funny thing is that you can see the receiver from the network anytime, even when it is stuck in the initializing phase. This leads me to believe that this a purely a firmware problem. The firmware has been flashed to the

1031-0500-0010-2103 version and does not allow you to re-flash.

Please help.

Peace & Prayers

Dave Moses

Thank You for contacting Onkyo USA Product Support.

We apologize for the delay in responding to your email. We are experiencing a heavy volume of inquiries. We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Hi David,

Go ahead and try to do a reset on the receiver. To do the reset you need to turn the receiver on, then on the front panel of the receiver press and hold the "VCR/DVR" button while doing that press the "STANDBY/ON" button. You will see the word "Clear" in the display screen and the receiver will go into standby mode. PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT YOU WILL LOOSE ALL YOUR AUDIO & VIDEO ASSIGNMENTS ON THE RECEIVER PLUS YOU WILL LOOSE ALL YOUR SPEAKER CONFIGURATIONS, SPEAKER DISTANCE AND ALL LEVEL CALIBRATION SETTINGS. YOU WILL ALSO LOOSE ANY PROGRAMMED RADIO STATIONS IN MEMORY. Once the receiver goes into standby mode turn it back on and go thru the setup menu for all custom settings.

Also, Have you tried replacing the ethernet (CAT5e) cable? Or connecting the receiver directly to the cable modem?

Best Regards,
Marc H.

Again, thank you for contacting Onkyo and Integra USA Product Support, if you need further assistance feel free to call us at:

Subject TX-NR808 related question from Onkyo website

Comments: Receiver does not detect the network until I unlug the cable and plug it back in each time? This is unacceptable. I did the firmware update and no difference. Please advise, I only have so long before I can return this unit.

So... I set the "Network Control" to enabled and now I am able to use the streaming music anytime but I cannot access my local network where all my CD's are stored.

Also keep in mind that at no time during this entire procedure where we not able to connect to the receiver from the network.

*I edited the above conversation to save space but you will get the jist. Remember the newest email is at the top.

This has been a short but bizarre trip. You would think that in September of 2010 Ethernet would be pretty much a give me...

I really would like to resolve this but feel that Onkyo is not really capable of doing this in a timely fashion..

Thoughts?

I just bought an 808 and am having this same network problem although I have never been able to get the network working for anything from the receiver. I was able to update the firmware (I think, although it didn't take very long at all after they had prepared me for 30 mins) from USB by unplugging the ethernet before switching to USB

Did you ever get a resolution?
post #319 of 324 Old 02-19-2011, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

anyone else find that the volume/output is low on the 708? After running Audissey (based on the guide on this forum) I'm not understanding why we have to watch movies at 60+ volume (which isnt ear piercing). This seems much higher than my 607 reciever which we watch movies around 40. The speakers are 6ohm with sensitivity ratings 86-89... Thoughts?
post #320 of 324 Old 02-19-2011, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lou99 View Post

anyone else find that the volume/output is low on the 708? After running Audissey (based on the guide on this forum) I'm not understanding why we have to watch movies at 60+ volume (which isnt ear piercing). This seems much higher than my 607 reciever which we watch movies around 40. The speakers are 6ohm with sensitivity ratings 86-89... Thoughts?

Check the owner's manual regarding the Display setting. I suspect the way the volume is displayed has changed during the set-up. Audyssey should be set up to '0' db as a reference. We run our 808 at around -8db and that is plenty loud.

Good Viewing,
John G

JVC DLA-RS4810 Projector, Vutec 110" (16x9) Bright White Screen, Darbee Darblet, Onkyo TX-NR708 Receiver/Processor, Sony BDP S790 BR Player, Toshiba 1250 NTSC-PAL Region Free BR Player, 7 Paradigm Reference spkrs w Dual Subs,  Adcom & Yamaha Amps .Light controlled HT...

post #321 of 324 Old 02-19-2011, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
^^
Interesting. I have to say that makes more sense to me now after reading your post. I was listening at reasonably low levels at 60 and movies 68 or so. But under relative my normal tv listening is -20db.

Bob

post #322 of 324 Old 03-15-2011, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Got dbl shipped an extra TXNR708. PM if anyone is interested b4 I send it back.
post #323 of 324 Old 03-31-2011, 01:03 PM

i read most of this thread and didnt see a consensus?

what do you guys think is best for my set-up:

4 POLK lsi9's, atlantic tech center and 2 polk subs?

i was initially looking at the 708 for the price point but after reading this it seems like the 808 may be better if for nothing else than the power. from what i can tell the lsi9's can take as much as i can throw at them.

thanks for any input/advice
post #324 of 324 Old 06-15-2011, 12:00 AM

Hi Guys - thanks for the informative discussion
I bought the 708 last week and it is my first receiver so I have been going slowly and steadily and then found the same issue with the Net/USB issue that everyone has been describing here. Basically mine just got stuck on initialising endlessly.

I tested everything from the network cables to the router etc - and proved that everything worked except for the receiver.

I had conlcluded that my receiver had a dead network card in it and was about to ring Onkyo when I found this discussion board.

This morning I have downloaded the latest firmware patch of November 2010. I haven noted with interest that this was just about when this discussion ceased.

I have loaded it up and it all works nicely now.

I tried to paste the link to the firmware update here but the discussion board won't let me as I am a first time poster. However it is on the Onkyo site under Firmware updates.

It was still tricky getting the receiver to recognise the usb stick for the update - make sure you have the network cable out when you do the firmware update.

and you may have to plug the usb in and out once or twice but eventually it found it.

Good luck all and thanks for the chat.

Regards
Judy
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page