New 2010 Onkyo TX-NR708. TX-NR808 & TX-NR1008 AV Receivers! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 324 Old 06-01-2010, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Bazzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hi All,

Looks like Onkyo will soon be bringing out these three new models - TX-NR708, TX-NR808 & TX-NR1008. See links for details:

http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=i

http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=i

http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=i


Bazzy!
Bazzy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 324 Old 06-01-2010, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Toknowshita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 47
The cost cutting bandits hit Onkyo's line again...

gone during the transition from 1007 to 1008
1. MultEQ XT to standard MultEQ
2. THX Ultra2Plus to Select2Plus

Thanks Onkyo but I will contine to hold onto my trusted 805.

Toknowshita is offline  
post #3 of 324 Old 06-01-2010, 05:46 PM
Member
 
abc5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita View Post

The cost cutting bandits hit Onkyo's line again...

gone during the transition from 1007 to 1008
1. MultEQ XT to standard MultEQ
2. THX Ultra2Plus to Select2Plus

Thanks Onkyo but I will contine to hold onto my trusted 805.


hi, can you or someone give me the lowdown on what multeq xt does over multeq, and what thx ultra2plus does vs. just select2plus?

i gather it's downgrading both, but...

thanks.
abc5 is offline  
post #4 of 324 Old 06-01-2010, 07:02 PM
Member
 
EuroCarFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Very disappointing news. I think I may stick with my 607 for a while instead of wanting to upgrade to a 708. Nothing on it is a must have. Maybe I can snag a nice deal on a 707 in the near future.
EuroCarFan is offline  
post #5 of 324 Old 06-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Mattrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Read Audyssey's page for info.
http://www.audyssey.com/technology/multeq.html

Looks like us aussies get a proper iec power connector on the 708!

Im torn with getting hold of a mint s/h 705/805 or spending a lot more for something new and current. I have NO inclination for 1.4 or 3d.


Quote:
Originally Posted by abc5 View Post

hi, can you or someone give me the lowdown on what multeq xt does over multeq, and what thx ultra2plus does vs. just select2plus?

i gather it's downgrading both, but...

thanks.

Mattrix is offline  
post #6 of 324 Old 06-01-2010, 07:54 PM
Member
 
abc5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattrix View Post

Read Audyssey's page for info.
http://www.audyssey.com/technology/multeq.html

Looks like us aussies get a proper iec power connector on the 708!

Im torn with getting hold of a mint s/h 705/805 or spending a lot more for something new and current. I have NO inclination for 1.4 or 3d.



got it thanks for the link.... damn thats pretty painful for a 1008 model to chop those things out wtf.
abc5 is offline  
post #7 of 324 Old 06-01-2010, 08:08 PM
Senior Member
 
nlpearman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 439
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
nlpearman is offline  
post #8 of 324 Old 06-01-2010, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Toknowshita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by abc5 View Post

hi, can you or someone give me the lowdown on what multeq xt does over multeq, and what thx ultra2plus does vs. just select2plus?

i gather it's downgrading both, but...

thanks.

XT basically has higher resolution filters and is capable of basing calculations off of 8 measuring points vs. 6 for the standard version of MultEQ. IOW, XT is just a more capable system. It seems that the XT version of MultEQ is being trickled up the model line instead of down. More and more it is becoming a feature regulated to high cost flagship receivers.

THX Ultra vs Select? Select was created for lower price receivers that could not meet THX's Ultra highend requirements that usually indicated an amp was capable of driving 4 ohm loads.

Let's just say when I originally saw the specs for the 806 after the 805, I lost a little faith in Onkyo. When they brought the 1007 along, I saw a resonably priced 805 replacement. The fact is the 805 was the best bang for your buck in the modern AVR era. So I could forgive Onkyo for pricing the 1007 above $1k. I feel the same way about Onkyo now after originally seeing the 806.... extremely disappointed.

Toknowshita is offline  
post #9 of 324 Old 06-02-2010, 12:22 AM
Member
 
refresh_daemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was looking at the 608, but I'm kind of glad I waited. The 708 seems like it's going to be the one for me.

I was trying to decide between the RC180, RC260 and the SR608, but the SR708's announced specs won me over b/c:

1) Same power as the RC180, so I'm losing nothing there. It has "darlington circuitry" and "push-pull design" too, but I have no idea if that actually makes anything noticeably better. More power than 608/260/707.

2) Front panel USB connection, which my brother will love for plugging in his iPod or thumb drive to play mp3's.

3) Lack of front HDMI made the 180 less attractive (for my laptop as a 5th HDMI device).

4) Lack of MultiEQ and pre-outs made the 608 less attractive.

5) The 708 is network capable, up from the 707 and seems to have DLNA compliance, which means I no longer need to turn on my PS3 or Xbox to stream music and neither will my brother. The 180 does this too, but...

6) Being a step up from the 608, I think it's safe to guess this has a fan in it as well and will be cooler than the 2009 and older hot models. Being in an enclosed cabinet with a single 120mm fan pulling hot air out, I was worried for my other gear in there.

The only thing that I think I'd miss from the 2009 models is that they seem to have a nicer remote with learning functions and on screen programming. But that's something I think I can live without, since I don't mind using pre-programmed codes.

I hope it has some decent pre-order deals.

------
refresh_daemon
refresh_daemon is offline  
post #10 of 324 Old 06-02-2010, 05:27 AM
Senior Member
 
Mattrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You guys are so luck over there....
the 708 will probably be just under $2k here..... and considering our dollar is up near yours most of the time......

Anywayz i rekon the 708 will be my next AVR
For me network is a must only and purely for the upgradability firmware wise...
and now that its included in a lower model sweet!

I had a 804, sold that got a new Yamaha 2065, threw that out quick smart and have been slumming it with non hdmi old yamaha for the last few months waiting to see what happens with receivers... Haven't been bored tho. Been building up the dedicated 2 channel setup which has been good fun.

Given stuff is so expensive over here im really tempted to try and score a 705/805 s/h as I couldn't care less about 3d and 1.4 hdmi and deal with no network..

I was thinking to go to denon with all the cost cutting going in the onkyos but i think im swung back again now the *08 models.
Mattrix is offline  
post #11 of 324 Old 06-02-2010, 09:05 AM
Member
 
michaelahess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Middle of Nowhere Wyoming
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm sticking with my 1007, the only advantage of the 1008 is the front usb port which I have no need for anyway, the rest is a downgrade.

My 608's are still the all time best value I've seen, as long as you don't need internet/media streaming (got PS3's for that) they can't be beat!

Onkyo must have made the 608 so great knowing they couldn't afford to top the 807/1007 with the 8 series. Curious why they'd do that though.

Now if the 1008 street price is below $900, it would be a decent deal.....My 1007 was 1k with dock so a good price point might keep it in the running.
michaelahess is offline  
post #12 of 324 Old 06-02-2010, 10:33 AM
Member
 
onesolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
First I was going to be on the 808 but after compared with the 708, I'm really considering going the latter.
The diffences are minimum.
Zone stuff I don't care, extra hdmi output (they even don't output at the same time) don't care, 708 now can be firmware upgradable...
Only the design, with a front cover and a little more W/ch on the 808, but nothing significant...

All the rest is pratically the same... (if anyone knows more differences...)

The manuals are already up!! (don't recall yesterday being up)

Now I'm just going to wait to see more details from the new Marantz 7005 (that never get out, the details...)

P.S. - The initial price for the 807 was also $1099 ??

Panasonic TX-P42V10E; Onkyo TX-NR808; PS3; Cambridge Audio Azur 640C; Raspberry Pi (Model B)
Wharfedale Diamond 9.4 / 9 CS / 9.1; BK Gemini; Just Racks JRA120‑SW‑BG
2x3m e 2x10m Supra 2.5 Classic; 3m QED P-CV1; 1m QED P-75; 3m Ixos XFA02
onesolo is offline  
post #13 of 324 Old 06-02-2010, 07:14 PM
Member
 
abc5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
anyone see if either of these three receivers handles flac file streaming into it?
abc5 is offline  
post #14 of 324 Old 06-03-2010, 02:22 AM
Senior Member
 
John4721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by refresh_daemon View Post

the SR708's announced specs won me over b/c:

1) Same power as the RC180, so I'm losing nothing there. .

Maybe, but the RC180 does weigh about 12 lbs more than the 708. Higher power consumption as well. While that may or may not guarantee a stronger amplifier section, it may be food for thought.

Of course, the features on the 708 are quite nice.
John4721 is offline  
post #15 of 324 Old 06-03-2010, 03:18 AM
Senior Member
 
Mattrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All units handle flac..... hopefully better than yamahas...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc5 View Post

anyone see if either of these three receivers handles flac file streaming into it?

Mattrix is offline  
post #16 of 324 Old 06-03-2010, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Bazzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hi,

Maybe I am missing something but should there not also be a 908 model as well to replace the 907?

Bazzy!
Bazzy is offline  
post #17 of 324 Old 06-03-2010, 10:05 AM
Member
 
xt14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i was gonna ask where you all were finding the manuals already up for these...if people like me are having issues, check the eu.onkyo site. I just found them there...and a july anticipated release? how exciting! need to replace this horrible 806 with its nice blue dots...just wish the 805 didn't have such lag problems or I would have just kept that :/


oh and if by 907 do you mean the 3007 or 5007? I don't think there was a series 900 after the 906.. i'm sure the replacements for the other two are on the way later in the year.
xt14 is offline  
post #18 of 324 Old 06-03-2010, 01:48 PM
Member
 
slats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's a press release quote from Onkyo announcing the NR series (708, 808 and 1008):

HDMI is also the conduit for 1080p video upscaling of all video inputs, regardless of native resolution, via Faroudja DCDi Cinema.

If you look at the specs for the 708, it indicates it does not upscale 1080i.

I would expect the release is correct since the 608 does it, wouldn't you?
slats is offline  
post #19 of 324 Old 06-03-2010, 05:07 PM
Member
 
lanbladez's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone think they fixed the issue that 608 has with upscaling to 30bit instead to 24, and bluray movies not playing right unless you use the VCR-return trick which does a clean pass-through but kills the OSD?
lanbladez is offline  
post #20 of 324 Old 06-03-2010, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mtrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: east texas
Posts: 1,623
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Since it has pre-outs(and a phono input), I'm thinking of using it as a pre-pro, if the DSPs and DACs are top flight. I'd like to get the 32 bit DACs, but they were only on the 5007 in last year models.

But, it has to go in a cabinet, so does anybody know if it has the fan like the 608? I just installed a 608 in a cabinet with 1" headroom for my parents, and it is not getting hot at all, even in the cabinet.

Or, is it a significant advantage for pre-pro usage to get a receiver with balanced outputs?

mtrot is offline  
post #21 of 324 Old 06-03-2010, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Plex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: North Huntingdon, Pa 15642
Posts: 2,044
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone?

If the 708 does 7.2 and only has 7 amps, what drivers the DSX height or wide speakers. must i only run 5.1 to use the other amps for those expanded channels?

Audyssey setup guide
Plex is offline  
post #22 of 324 Old 06-03-2010, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
warlord260's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: kent,wa.
Posts: 1,350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroCarFan View Post

Very disappointing news. I think I may stick with my 607 for a while instead of wanting to upgrade to a 708. Nothing on it is a must have. Maybe I can snag a nice deal on a 707 in the near future.

Or maybe a 705 with Mult EQ XT, or an Antimode.
warlord260 is offline  
post #23 of 324 Old 06-03-2010, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
warlord260's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: kent,wa.
Posts: 1,350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattrix View Post

You guys are so luck over there....
the 708 will probably be just under $2k here..... and considering our dollar is up near yours most of the time......

Anywayz i rekon the 708 will be my next AVR
For me network is a must only and purely for the upgradability firmware wise...
and now that its included in a lower model sweet!

I had a 804, sold that got a new Yamaha 2065, threw that out quick smart and have been slumming it with non hdmi old yamaha for the last few months waiting to see what happens with receivers... Haven't been bored tho. Been building up the dedicated 2 channel setup which has been good fun.

Given stuff is so expensive over here im really tempted to try and score a 705/805 s/h as I couldn't care less about 3d and 1.4 hdmi and deal with no network..

I was thinking to go to denon with all the cost cutting going in the onkyos but i think im swung back again now the *08 models.

708 $2k where are you at?
warlord260 is offline  
post #24 of 324 Old 06-04-2010, 01:15 AM
Senior Member
 
Mattrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Australia
For eg the 608 is $1500 odd and can be got for around $1290 :|

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlord260 View Post

708 $2k where are you at?

Mattrix is offline  
post #25 of 324 Old 06-04-2010, 01:17 AM
Senior Member
 
Mattrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You can't run surround backs with any front or wide.
Out of the 3 its ONLY 1 that you can run at any given time.....
All pointless rubbish and gimics if you ask me.
If you want to run at least 2 of those options you have to jump up to the 1007/8 model.....


Quote:
Originally Posted by Plex View Post

Anyone?

If the 708 does 7.2 and only has 7 amps, what drivers the DSX height or wide speakers. must i only run 5.1 to use the other amps for those expanded channels?

Mattrix is offline  
post #26 of 324 Old 06-04-2010, 01:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Mattrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We wont know that unfortunately till we get em in our hands....
I doubt it has been fixed tho as Onkyo prolly don't feel that is an issue in the first place especially for the "general public..."


Quote:
Originally Posted by lanbladez View Post

Does anyone think they fixed the issue that 608 has with upscaling to 30bit instead to 24, and bluray movies not playing right unless you use the VCR-return trick which does a clean pass-through but kills the OSD?

Mattrix is offline  
post #27 of 324 Old 06-04-2010, 01:24 AM
Senior Member
 
Mattrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Correct no 90* after 906 that has been supered into the 1007/8 series.
The international site is quite good for manuals and such.

http://www.intl.onkyo.com/products/a...ers/index.html


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzy View Post

Hi,

Maybe I am missing something but should there not also be a 908 model as well to replace the 907?

Bazzy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xt14 View Post

i was gonna ask where you all were finding the manuals already up for these...if people like me are having issues, check the eu.onkyo site. I just found them there...and a july anticipated release? how exciting! need to replace this horrible 806 with its nice blue dots...just wish the 805 didn't have such lag problems or I would have just kept that :/


oh and if by 907 do you mean the 3007 or 5007? I don't think there was a series 900 after the 906.. i'm sure the replacements for the other two are on the way later in the year.

Mattrix is offline  
post #28 of 324 Old 06-04-2010, 05:12 AM
Member
 
a/v HD fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post

Since it has pre-outs(and a phono input), I'm thinking of using it as a pre-pro, if the DSPs and DACs are top flight. I'd like to get the 32 bit DACs, but they were only on the 5007 in last year models.

But, it has to go in a cabinet, so does anybody know if it has the fan like the 608? I just installed a 608 in a cabinet with 1" headroom for my parents, and it is not getting hot at all, even in the cabinet.

Or, is it a significant advantage for pre-pro usage to get a receiver with balanced outputs?

What receiver has balanced outputs? I don't know of any. And, we'll have to see, but you might have to go up to the 1008 to get higher bitrate chips and better processing (just a guess though). Final thought - again just a guess, but I'd think any receiver, while used as a pre-pro, wouldn't get too hot... since you're not using any of the amp channels which is where most of the heat is generated AFAIK.
a/v HD fan is offline  
post #29 of 324 Old 06-04-2010, 06:30 AM
Member
 
pyrodex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Onkyo's site says the 708 doesn't do Component video up conversion and the 808 does, however will the component signal still get converted to HDMI but not upscaled?
pyrodex is offline  
post #30 of 324 Old 06-04-2010, 06:33 AM
Senior Member
 
nlpearman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 439
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by warlord260 View Post

Or maybe a 705 with Mult EQ XT, or an Antimode.

+1 for the Anti-Mode.

Upgraditis Anonymous
nlpearman is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off