I was looking at the 608, but I'm kind of glad I waited. The 708 seems like it's going to be the one for me.
I was trying to decide between the RC180, RC260 and the SR608, but the SR708's announced specs won me over b/c:
1) Same power as the RC180, so I'm losing nothing there. It has "darlington circuitry" and "push-pull design" too, but I have no idea if that actually makes anything noticeably better. More power than 608/260/707.
2) Front panel USB connection, which my brother will love for plugging in his iPod or thumb drive to play mp3's.
3) Lack of front HDMI made the 180 less attractive (for my laptop as a 5th HDMI device).
4) Lack of MultiEQ and pre-outs made the 608 less attractive.
5) The 708 is network capable, up from the 707 and seems to have DLNA compliance, which means I no longer need to turn on my PS3 or Xbox to stream music and neither will my brother. The 180 does this too, but...
6) Being a step up from the 608, I think it's safe to guess this has a fan in it as well and will be cooler than the 2009 and older hot models. Being in an enclosed cabinet with a single 120mm fan pulling hot air out, I was worried for my other gear in there.
The only thing that I think I'd miss from the 2009 models is that they seem to have a nicer remote with learning functions and on screen programming. But that's something I think I can live without, since I don't mind using pre-programmed codes.
I hope it has some decent pre-order deals.