Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

nope, that's not what you can guess from that...

it's likely that it will only pass analog from all of those sources that you listed (other than radio and sirius, which are built in), other than the ones i noted in my previous post...

ZONE 2 DVD, TV/SAT, DVR/BDR, VIDEO, INTERNET
RADIO, iPod/USB, CD, CD-R/TAPE, TUNER,
ADAPTER PORT, SIRIUS
(Outputs analog audio and composite video.)

So no Digital signals (SPDIF/Toslink)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 5040 Old 08-09-2010, 01:10 PM

Liked: 10
I am building my first home theatre. Currently, my Sennheiser wireless headphones are connected to the monitor audio outs of my Sony TV. This allows me to independently adjust the volume on the headphones without affecting the TV volume.

I want to move the headphone connection to the VSX-1120. I would like to permanently connect the headphone dock/charger so that I can pick up the headphones and use them any time. I would like to conceal the connection as all the equipment will be in a rack; the headphones/charger will be in a drawer next to the rack.

Is there a similar monitor audio output on the back of the receiver I can use or do I have to connect to the front headphone jack?
post #273 of 5040 Old 08-09-2010, 01:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

got a link to the cans?

you should be able to use the left and right pre-outs to accomplish what you want... but i want to take a look at the cans first before i say that for sure...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #274 of 5040 Old 08-09-2010, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddle View Post

I am building my first home theatre. Currently, my Sennheiser wireless headphones are connected to the monitor audio outs of my Sony TV. This allows me to independently adjust the volume on the headphones without affecting the TV volume.

I want to move the headphone connection to the VSX-1120. I would like to permanently connect the headphone dock/charger so that I can pick up the headphones and use them any time. I would like to conceal the connection as all the equipment will be in a rack; the headphones/charger will be in a drawer next to the rack.

Is there a similar monitor audio output on the back of the receiver I can use or do I have to connect to the front headphone jack?

Hi Raddle, use Zone 2 out but your sources will need an analog connections to the receiver in addition to the digital connections.
post #275 of 5040 Old 08-09-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:

^^^

got a link to the cans?

you should be able to use the left and right pre-outs to accomplish what you want... but i want to take a look at the cans first before i say that for sure...

Here is the link. Am I limited to using my zone 2 audio outs? I guess that means I can't run zone 2 speakers + headphones.

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser...ess-headphones
post #276 of 5040 Old 08-09-2010, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddle View Post

Here is the link. Am I limited to using my zone 2 audio outs? I guess that means I can't run zone 2 speakers + headphones.

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser...ess-headphones

Well I am using the optical out for for my Pioneer wireless Dolby Headphones. The trouble is that listening to Blu Ray from the PS3 as you can't get 5.1 out for HDMI (damn you HDMI restrictions restrictions) . Its a cumbersome process where I have to change the audio output on PS3 to optical/toslink then change the signal input on the receiver (had a similar issue with the previous Denon) I have just given up and bought a set of wires cans for Blu Rays and PS3 games. I tried the Phones Surround mode once so can't really say its any good (personal opinion Dolby Headphones beat most receivers virtual modes hands down)
post #277 of 5040 Old 08-09-2010, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisahmed View Post

Well I am using the optical out for for my Pioneer wireless Dolby Headphones. The trouble is that listening to Blu Ray from the PS3 as you can't get 5.1 out for HDMI (damn you HDMI restrictions restrictions) . Its a cumbersome process where I have to change the audio output on PS3 to optical/toslink then change the signal input on the receiver (had a similar issue with the previous Denon) I have just given up and bought a set of wires cans for Blu Rays and PS3 games. I tried the Phones Surround mode once so can't really say its any good (personal opinion Dolby Headphones beat most receivers virtual modes hands down)

Hi elvisahmed, PS3 can output HDMI and Optical at the same time. Go PS3 Sound Setting and set "Audio Multi Output" to On.
post #278 of 5040 Old 08-09-2010, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi elvisahmed, PS3 can output HDMI and Optical at the same time. Go PS3 Sound Setting and set "Audio Multi Output" to On.

Thanks for the info but whatever you select as the main output the other one is limited to 2 channel audio only. I want 5.1 for my Pio Headphones via optical and high def though my HDMI and PS3 can't do it (I found this out when someone who was shopping for D-Box had to buy another Blu Ray Player as PS3 won't do it and downmix the signal on optical if you are using HDMI for High Def Sound)
post #279 of 5040 Old 08-10-2010, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

I don't have my 1120 yet, but I do have an Onyko receiver and DirecTV, and the audio dropouts are EXTREMELY annoying. So much so I'm considering dropping DirecTV and giving something else a shot - its been like this for five years at least, and they haven't done jack about it, pathetic for the price I pay for their service. Also having problems with blasts of several seconds of very high volume white noise on some channels.

I've had Direct TV for 2 years with an older Pioneer receiver and have never had any dropouts - audio or video. Have had my 1120 for 2 weeks now and haven't seen any on the new one either.
post #280 of 5040 Old 08-10-2010, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK_HAL0 View Post

Yeah, I think its in the firmware. When I check my router, the unit shows up, its being assigned an IP address, the MAC address is showing up etc... One last thing I might try is doing a reset on the unit. I saw some information on how to do that in the manual.

I also havent seen much about the internet radio either, but it could be people plug it in check it out for 5 mins, and then move on. Im sure as more and more units are purchased we will hear about it.

Here's one more datapoint to add to the mix. I hooked the receiver up to my home network Sunday night and have tested Internet radio playback a couple times since. Most stations played fine. There was a point where it stopped playing one station after 75 min, but this was apparently due to a timeout condition associated with this particular station. Switching the input control away from Internet radio and then back again restarted the stream.
post #281 of 5040 Old 08-10-2010, 09:25 AM

Tested my internet radio functionality with WFAN NY last night - played for 2 hours without any problems before I switched to something else.

Just for reference, in my network settings I do have the IP information statically assigned in a non-DHCP portion of my network.
post #282 of 5040 Old 08-10-2010, 10:42 AM
Gib

Quote:

ZONE 2 DVD, TV/SAT, DVR/BDR, VIDEO, INTERNET
RADIO, iPod/USB, CD, CD-R/TAPE, TUNER,
ADAPTER PORT, SIRIUS
(Outputs analog audio and composite video.)

So no Digital signals (SPDIF/Toslink)

I read that in the manual as well, but that statement says nothing about the inputs. All it says is that Zone 2 only outputs analog audio and composite video. Since ipod/usb and internet radio are both digital sources it can obviously pass some digital through to zone 2. Has anyone actually tried and verified whether HDMI or SPDIF/coax work for zone 2?
post #283 of 5040 Old 08-10-2010, 10:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

that reads the same as in previous years pioneer avr's...

ipod/internet radio are handled through a separate area of the dsp (or even a separate chip), if i had to bet... without looking at the schematics, it's just a guess, but at least a somewhat educated one...

in order for spdif/hdmi signals to be processed and sent to zone 2, it would require the avr to have a completely duplicated digital signal processing path (amoungst other logic to make it work together)... as this is cost prohibitive, and has never been included before (on any cem's avr) at this price point, i think it's unlikely that it magically popped up this year...

i have been wrong before... so ymmv...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #284 of 5040 Old 08-10-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic1 View Post

I've had Direct TV for 2 years with an older Pioneer receiver and have never had any dropouts - audio or video. Have had my 1120 for 2 weeks now and haven't seen any on the new one either.

Excellent! Thanks for the response. I will hopefully be getting a VSX-32 this weekend.
post #285 of 5040 Old 08-10-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMili View Post

Tested my internet radio functionality with WFAN NY last night - played for 2 hours without any problems before I switched to something else.

Just for reference, in my network settings I do have the IP information statically assigned in a non-DHCP portion of my network.

This is interesting...what do you mean by "statically assigned in a non-DHCP portion of my network". My router will assign IP's in the 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.149 range and if I statically assign the receiver in tah range I still have the problem....did you assign something like 192.168.1.150 (just above the routers range) or something completely different? I will try this tonight.
post #286 of 5040 Old 08-10-2010, 12:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

yes, that's what he means... assign it a static ip address outside that range...

any valid one will do...

- chris

post #287 of 5040 Old 08-10-2010, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Hi Folks which THX mode do you prefer for listening to TV (2 Channel or 5.1)?
post #288 of 5040 Old 08-10-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzby View Post

Here's one more datapoint to add to the mix. I hooked the receiver up to my home network Sunday night and have tested Internet radio playback a couple times since. Most stations played fine. There was a point where it stopped playing one station after 75 min, but this was apparently due to a timeout condition associated with this particular station. Switching the input control away from Internet radio and then back again restarted the stream.

Is this directly to the router or via a wireless bridge?
post #289 of 5040 Old 08-10-2010, 08:15 PM

A wireless bridge. IP address is assigned using DHCP.
post #290 of 5040 Old 08-11-2010, 10:00 AM

Time for me to pay it forward.

I was setting up my Harmony remote (a fairly old model) to work with the 1120 and I had to make two tweaks to have it work smoothly. I had to increase the default Power Up Delay from 1500ms to 3000ms, and I had to indicate the device remote uses a single button for on/off. The default configuration in the database says it uses separate on/off buttons, and the Harmony would turn the receiver off when I accidentally press the same activity button again, instead of just doing nothing (this might be more of a problem with the remote and not the configuration).

So far, I'm most impressed with the video up conversion. It makes my old laser discs eminently watchable. I had to set "aspect" in video parameters to "normal" for the laser disc input in order for the video not to be stretched. I also had to do the same thing to the FIOS input so the standard definition comes through in the right aspect ratio.

Sound-wise, I'm also impressed with the auto MCACC. The bass has never felt so tight. I'm very happy I upgraded. I was tired of watching DTS blu-rays in downmix 2-channel stereo.
post #291 of 5040 Old 08-11-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot24 View Post

Time for me to pay it forward.

I was setting up my Harmony remote (a fairly old model) to work with the 1120 and I had to make two tweaks to have it work smoothly. I had to increase the default Power Up Delay from 1500ms to 3000ms, and I had to indicate the device remote uses a single button for on/off. The default configuration in the database says it uses separate on/off buttons, and the Harmony would turn the receiver off when I accidentally press the same activity button again, instead of just doing nothing (this might be more of a problem with the remote and not the configuration).

So far, I'm most impressed with the video up conversion. It makes my old laser discs eminently watchable. I had to set "aspect" in video parameters to "normal" for the laser disc input in order for the video not to be stretched. I also had to do the same thing to the FIOS input so the standard definition comes through in the right aspect ratio.

Sound-wise, I'm also impressed with the auto MCACC. The bass has never felt so tight. I'm very happy I upgraded. I was tired of watching DTS blu-rays in downmix 2-channel stereo.

Thanks. Just printed this out for reference when I get my amp so I can get my Harmony working also.
post #292 of 5040 Old 08-11-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot24 View Post

The default configuration in the database says it uses separate on/off buttons, and the Harmony would turn the receiver off when I accidentally press the same activity button again, instead of just doing nothing (this might be more of a problem with the remote and not the configuration).

This isn't the case for me with my Harmony 880 ... I haven't changed the defaults that it programmed. Separate on/off buttons should actually FIX this issue that you speak of, as the remote knows when to send an "on" command (switching inputs) or an "off" command (powering off) as opposed to one IR code for "power toggle" which will turn the unit on if off, and off if on.

I'd check your device settings to make sure the power options for the AV receiver are set correctly - it sounds like something isn't the way it should be, although I can't say why you would have different options than me when we're using the same backend to program our remotes.
post #293 of 5040 Old 08-11-2010, 03:42 PM
Gib

Quote:

^^^

that reads the same as in previous years pioneer avr's...

ipod/internet radio are handled through a separate area of the dsp (or even a separate chip), if i had to bet... without looking at the schematics, it's just a guess, but at least a somewhat educated one...

in order for spdif/hdmi signals to be processed and sent to zone 2, it would require the avr to have a completely duplicated digital signal processing path (amoungst other logic to make it work together)... as this is cost prohibitive, and has never been included before (on any cem's avr) at this price point, i think it's unlikely that it magically popped up this year...

i have been wrong before... so ymmv...

I believe you are probably right but I still don't agree with requiring a separate digital processing path. If you want to listen to separate digital sources in zone 1 and 2 simultaneous then I agree. But if I have the same source for both zone 1 and 2 or just want to listen to zone 2 then one set of D/A processors should suffice.
post #294 of 5040 Old 08-11-2010, 03:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

well yes, but zones are by definition independent...

if you want to listen to the same thing, use speaker b, rather than zone 2... that also gets around the analog limitations...

- chris

post #295 of 5040 Old 08-11-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMili View Post

This isn't the case for me with my Harmony 880 ... I haven't changed the defaults that it programmed. Separate on/off buttons should actually FIX this issue that you speak of, as the remote knows when to send an "on" command (switching inputs) or an "off" command (powering off) as opposed to one IR code for "power toggle" which will turn the unit on if off, and off if on.

I'd check your device settings to make sure the power options for the AV receiver are set correctly - it sounds like something isn't the way it should be, although I can't say why you would have different options than me when we're using the same backend to program our remotes.

We might not be using the same backend. Like I said, my remote is 5 years old (H659). The client software (& firmware) is just as old, though I'd think the device database is the same. The 1120 replaced another Pioneer AVR (15 years old!). When I was testing the hookups and before I added the 1120 to the remote, the remote was doing just fine using the codes for the other Pioneer AVR (since Pioneer is Pioneer). After I added the 1120 and edited all activities to use the new AVR, it switches inputs fine, but started switching the AVR on/off when I pushed the same activity button twice. It didn't do that with the old Pioneer AVR. I started looking at the AVR device settings, and saw the default says separate on/off buttons. That's the only thing I saw that didn't correspond to reality (as the Pioneer remote had a single on/off). So I changed it and the problem went away.

It's also possible the presence of the legacy Pioneer AVR in my list of devices was throwing off some start/stop sequences, although I double checked it wasn't used in any of the activities. In the end, I deleted the legacy AVR altogether. So who knows, that might've been the actual cure. It works now, and I'm not curious enough to reprogram again to find out what really happened.
post #296 of 5040 Old 08-11-2010, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Out of the box....
Power is turning on / off automatically...and stays "Power On"...not going until i remove the power line and then connect it...

I hope its not a defective unit...

Finally tested just connecting the power line only to the unit...power dont stay for more than 50 seconds....turning off and start automatically..

Also...anyone smelled the unit after opening the box...after i opened the box..smell was different...

My First DIY Screen

Ongoing Build Thread
post #297 of 5040 Old 08-11-2010, 09:13 PM

Even just connecting the receiver without any inputs/outputs, receiver shuts off automatically....?
I guess it is a Defective unit..

:From the Manual:
The receiver suddenly power
off or ADVANCED MCACC
flashes.
• The power unit is damaged. Unplug the receiver from the wall and call a Pioneer authorized
independent service company.

what is meant by advanced mcacc flashes..??

My First DIY Screen

Ongoing Build Thread
post #298 of 5040 Old 08-11-2010, 10:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyakamaraj View Post

Even just connecting the receiver without any inputs/outputs, receiver shuts off automatically....?
I guess it is a Defective unit..

:From the Manual:
The receiver suddenly power
off or ADVANCED MCACC
flashes.
• The power unit is damaged. Unplug the receiver from the wall and call a Pioneer authorized
independent service company.

what is meant by advanced mcacc flashes..??

Well I am guessing the LED should flash MCACC as thats what you get when you select the MCACC menu or plus the mic in.
post #299 of 5040 Old 08-12-2010, 04:49 AM

Quote:

Well I am guessing the LED should flash MCACC as thats what you get when you select the MCACC menu or plus the mic in.

yes led light was flashing....unbelievable...

My First DIY Screen

Ongoing Build Thread
post #300 of 5040 Old 08-12-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzby View Post

A wireless bridge. IP address is assigned using DHCP.

Just curious - which wireless bridge specifically?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page