Pioneer VSX-1120 TXH HDMI V1.4 Receiver Owners' Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 5030 Old 08-15-2010, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought my 1120 and set it up this weekend. It replaces an 8 year old yamaha receiver. Works great, except one thing has me puzzled. The sound doesn't seem as loud as it should be. If I use any of the hdmi inputs I have to crank the volume up to -25db just to be able to hear it, but if I switch to internet radio, the volume is very loud. Should I have to crank up the volume to near the max just to get that theatre feel?? Any help would be much appriciated.

Also I have the video processing turned on, but I don't see any sort of difference on my Directv input. From what everyone else has been posting, there should be a pretty big improvement. Or I am expecting too much?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 5030 Old 08-15-2010, 01:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

no, that sounds about right... -25db is WAY below "the max"...

the "volume display" on your old yamaha was likely linear in nature, on a scale of 0-nnn (or the other way around nnn-0), where nnn is any integer...

the "volume display" on your new avr is by decibels off reference... which is non-linear in nature...

you can't compare the two in any way...

edit in response to your edit: no, i'd be quite surprised if you had any real noticeable difference on your d* input... please note that everyone is not posting that you should expect noticeable results...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #363 of 5030 Old 08-15-2010, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

fwiw, the "reason" why when you switch to internet radio it's "louder" when comparing it to another source is due to the dynamic range being squished a bit before it's sent out to you... which is the same reason why all modern music sounds "loud" (except that has had the dynamic range squished more than a bit), regardless of source...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #364 of 5030 Old 08-15-2010, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 366
edit in response to your edit: no, i'd be quite surprised if you had any real noticeable difference on your d* input... please note that everyone is not posting that you should expect noticeable results...

And we all define noticeable differently
post #365 of 5030 Old 08-15-2010, 02:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I assure you that my definition of noticeable is granular enough... heaven knows I've spent enough time staring at both test patterns and real world material through several different video processors...

- chris

post #366 of 5030 Old 08-15-2010, 03:06 PM

Chris and Elvis,

Thanks for the offerings. I do, in fact, have the same Blue Jeans cable you're talking about - purchased spedifically for that 30' run. And like I said in my previous note, I ran the signal direct from both players using that cable with no dropouts while I was waiting for the 1120 to ship. The dropouts have only occured while going through the 1120.

I have tried both turning off the video processor as well as trying other settings. Haven't gotten a dropout yet using "pure" but about a minute after trying 24fps it dropped video (just a test). Interestingly, the one standard DVD that really screwed up a lot earlier this week, "Big Fish", played perfectly start to finish today under the same auto setting I'd used before when it constantly dropped frames. Maybe the machine, like me, was just tired of the hot and humid weather.

I'll keep trying other movies to see if it will mess up again. Intermittent problems are always so much fun to solve...
post #367 of 5030 Old 08-15-2010, 03:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

well dang...

i agree... give me a problem that happens all the time, and i can solve most of them pretty fast... those ones that just jump up and bite you when you don't expect it and then disappear are the ones that are a real pita...

as far as converting "regular" sd-dvd to 24p... problems with that are not uncommon... it's a much discussed topic in the oppo bdp thread, and i'm sure in others... it's not suggested to do this, for the reasons you are experiencing (dropped frames, etc.)... it's not the avr's "fault"... it's the source material itself causing the issues...

"auto" should default to 60 (vs. 24), but as we've seen, what stuff should default to and what it actually does are two different things... it's also possible it defaults to "last valid", and if you had used 24p previously, it would consider that to be valid (as the display would handshake ok with it) and use that (vs. 60)...

experiment... write down a logical test path, and see what pops up... test one change at a time, and note the results...

- chris

post #368 of 5030 Old 08-15-2010, 03:50 PM

leadfoot24: thanks for helping. that's actually how i set up my ps3, straight to the 1120K and then from the 1120K to the TV. i can watch blu-ray but no sound. i tried with a DVD player going straight to the 1120K and same results; no sound.

i have a pair of speakers from downstairs that i know are working and i tried those on the left and right channels of the 1120K. i ran the MCACC and again it says error on the left and right speaker configuration. i unplugged the left/right speakers and connect only the center channel; ran the MCACC and again it says error on the left/right speakers when they aren't even connected. on top of that, the receiver doesn't detect my center channel at all. i brought the new speakers downstairs to test in a working set up and i can confirm that the new polk audio speakers and the new wire are both good. i think i have a bad 1120K. what do you guys think?
post #369 of 5030 Old 08-15-2010, 04:01 PM

so far this is what i think: this forum is good, many guys willing to help a novice out. but i might just got a bad 1120K.

since you guys are so helpful, i got another question for you guys. in my set up: ps3 going to 1120K and from 1120K to the TV (all via HDMI). where does the video/audio conversion happen? in other words, is my ps3 doing the conversion before sending the audio/video signals to the receiver or is my receiver doing the conversion of both? if my ps3 is doing the conversion should i disable the video conversion on the ps3 (this is assuming the 1120K is superior to the ps3 conversion ability)?

thanks again,
david
post #370 of 5030 Old 08-15-2010, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

3 day sale on the 1120 under $500! Ends Monday 8/16.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882117343

do you know if this ends 8/15 midnight, or 8/16 midnight?

will tell a friend at the office if it's valid thru monday
post #371 of 5030 Old 08-15-2010, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by leberserkfury View Post

so far this is what i think: this forum is good, many guys willing to help a novice out. but i might just got a bad 1120K.

since you guys are so helpful, i got another question for you guys. in my set up: ps3 going to 1120K and from 1120K to the TV (all via HDMI). where does the video/audio conversion happen? in other words, is my ps3 doing the conversion before sending the audio/video signals to the receiver or is my receiver doing the conversion of both? if my ps3 is doing the conversion should i disable the video conversion on the ps3 (this is assuming the 1120K is superior to the ps3 conversion ability)?

thanks again,
david

Well technically speaking it happens twice. Correct me if I am wrong once in the source you are using for up-converting (either PS3 or 1120) and then in your display. It will happen thrice! if you do it in PS3 and then tell 1120 to do it again. I personally think 1120 is better than PS3 for DVD specially when I turn on 1080P24. I am skeptical about using it for Blu Ray as I prefer the purest signal in that case. For SDTV 1120 is pretty good so far.
post #372 of 5030 Old 08-15-2010, 08:18 PM

i believe midnight of 8/16
post #373 of 5030 Old 08-16-2010, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leberserkfury View Post

leadfoot24: thanks for helping. that's actually how i set up my ps3, straight to the 1120K and then from the 1120K to the TV. i can watch blu-ray but no sound. i tried with a DVD player going straight to the 1120K and same results; no sound.

i have a pair of speakers from downstairs that i know are working and i tried those on the left and right channels of the 1120K. i ran the MCACC and again it says error on the left and right speaker configuration. i unplugged the left/right speakers and connect only the center channel; ran the MCACC and again it says error on the left/right speakers when they aren't even connected. on top of that, the receiver doesn't detect my center channel at all. i brought the new speakers downstairs to test in a working set up and i can confirm that the new polk audio speakers and the new wire are both good. i think i have a bad 1120K. what do you guys think?

I wouldn't put all my faith into MCACC to verify if the speakers work. I never got mine to work at all, it always said "Check Microphone" and if I continued anyway it would run and list the L and R as ERR. But my speakers work fine.

You said you tested a DVD, was that with HDMI? If so I would suggest testing with an analog source or the tuner as others have already suggested.
post #374 of 5030 Old 08-16-2010, 07:31 AM

Well, the long wait is finally coming to a close for me. I went with Newegg's insane offer. I tried two places for a match but they couldn't come close. I used my Amex so hopefully if warranty issues creep into the picture, I have an 800 pound gorilla to fight for me.

My 12 year-old Kenwood VR2080 has served me well overall, but it is time to freshen things up a bit with connectivity (4 composite inputs is a serious limitation). I'm also excited about the Marvell upconversion. I have a old TiVo (Series 2), Wii and PS2 running 15' to my 1080p projector on a composite cable from the Kenwood and needless to say, the picture isn't crisp at all. I'm hopeful that converting to HDMI in the 1120 and with some Marvell tweaking the picture will improve.
post #375 of 5030 Old 08-16-2010, 07:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

yea, i'm gonna guess that going from a composite connection to a hdmi connection is going to make a HUGE difference... HUGE... as you will now actually be able to pass hd signals to the projector...

- chris

post #376 of 5030 Old 08-16-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

yea, i'm gonna guess that going from a composite connection to a hdmi connection is going to make a HUGE difference... HUGE... as you will now actually be able to pass hd signals to the projector...

Maybe he meant component, not composite?
post #377 of 5030 Old 08-16-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

3 day sale on the 1120 under $500! Ends Monday 8/16.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882117343

If any of you are unsure about buying from "the egg" since they are allegedly not an authorized dealer...J&R will match them. I ordered from Kenny and he is completely fine with anyone and everyone calling him...

800-806-1115
Press 1 for a sales rep
Hit 1013 for Kenny.

Good luck to anyone who wants in on this great deal.

I have to say, I pulled the trigger rather quickly. I've been researching for days and finally picked the 1120 over the Denon 1910, 2310, Onkyo RC180, RC260, 607, Marantz sr5003, Pioneer 1019, 1020, and Yamaha 765.

I have a 1014 that has been awesome for the last 5+ years and I love the feature set of the 1120. It seems that Pioneer has finally offered something that can compete (spec & price) with some of the great Onkyo models out there. I thought long and hard about the RC180, but I have very little space in my tv stand and ventilation would have been an issue. I also love how the 1120 can truly pass the signal to the TV "untouched". I may mess the Qdeo a bit to see if it can do anything to the Star Wars (non-anamorphic OOT) DVD's that I have...

I also looked hard at the Denon 1910, but felt that the 1120 was a better bang for the buck at $100 more.

There are so many great options out there right now...
post #378 of 5030 Old 08-16-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddle View Post

Maybe he meant component, not composite?

No component, a composite. The true story is I have a 15' HDMI and a 15' Composite run to the projector. The HDMI connects the bluray player to the projector directly with a digital coaxial audio connection to the Kenwood. Since the Kenwood only has composite inputs (and output), the rest of the lesser-used toys (TiVo, etc) are run to the receiver then to the projector over composite as a hold over until I could replace the receiver. I haven't been able to have a cable box on the projector because I only had one HDMI connection to the projector (so the TiVo has been used as the basic tuner). Now with the new receiver, I plan running all video to the projector over the one HDMI cable and potentially converting the composite cable to a 12v trigger cable with an adapter at some point in the future (it is not needed at the moment). As you could imagine, I have been anxiously awaiting a new receiver.

As a side note, most of the complication came when I switched from a standard display to a projector. I could no longer use the display for switching the video sources with the limited runs to the projector.
post #379 of 5030 Old 08-16-2010, 10:02 AM

wth...this receiver price is going down like crazy...

My First DIY Screen 120" Laminate Screen

Ongoing Build Thread Madras Talkies
post #380 of 5030 Old 08-16-2010, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

the "volume display" on your new avr is by decibels off reference... which is non-linear in nature...

I'm sure there must be a simple answer, but I'll ask because it isn't obvious to me - how can receivers specify volume relative to reference level without know the speaker sensitivity (among other factors)? Or is there a way to "trim" the receiver's volume on setup to make that "0" actually be reference level (and at the listening position)?

p.s. my receiver will show up tomorrow hopefully, man I could have saved $80 if I waited two weeks - wonder if Value Electronics would price match after the fact...
post #381 of 5030 Old 08-16-2010, 10:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

yup. you'll do it as part of setup...

mcacc will take care of it for you...

- chris

post #382 of 5030 Old 08-16-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyNick View Post

If any of you are unsure about buying from "the egg" since they are allegedly not an authorized dealer...J&R will match them. I ordered from Kenny and he is completely fine with anyone and everyone calling him...

800-806-1115
Press 1 for a sales rep
Hit 1013 for Kenny.

Good luck to anyone who wants in on this great deal.

I have to say, I pulled the trigger rather quickly. I've been researching for days and finally picked the 1120 over the Denon 1910, 2310, Onkyo RC180, RC260, 607, Marantz sr5003, Pioneer 1019, 1020, and Yamaha 765.

I have a 1014 that has been awesome for the last 5+ years and I love the feature set of the 1120. It seems that Pioneer has finally offered something that can compete (spec & price) with some of the great Onkyo models out there. I thought long and hard about the RC180, but I have very little space in my tv stand and ventilation would have been an issue. I also love how the 1120 can truly pass the signal to the TV "untouched". I may mess the Qdeo a bit to see if it can do anything to the Star Wars (non-anamorphic OOT) DVD's that I have...

I also looked hard at the Denon 1910, but felt that the 1120 was a better bang for the buck at $100 more.

There are so many great options out there right now...

i PM'ed to JR.com also and spoke to someone called Lucas. went very smoothly plus no tax or shipping just like the egg.
hope they fullfill the order!

Samsung UN55D6400, Comcast HD DVR, Infinity TSS-1200 speakers, Pioneer VSX-1120k
post #383 of 5030 Old 08-16-2010, 06:45 PM

Thank you guys for your feedback on my 1120. I definitely just need to play with my video settings.

Wish I would have waited one more day to pick mine up. Abt price matched Newegg on friday night at $550, next day it goes on sale??? Congrats to all of you who got in one the $499 deal. Money well spent.
post #384 of 5030 Old 08-16-2010, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

well my friend snagged one, but i was too chicken. i need both authorized and enough time to test in-home (30 days).

my home improvements will finish up in a few weeks, so anything i order now will sit unopened for too long, wasting valuable 'return' time if somethings off
post #385 of 5030 Old 08-16-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb47 View Post

I wouldn't put all my faith into MCACC to verify if the speakers work. I never got mine to work at all, it always said "Check Microphone" and if I continued anyway it would run and list the L and R as ERR. But my speakers work fine.

You said you tested a DVD, was that with HDMI? If so I would suggest testing with an analog source or the tuner as others have already suggested.

glad to see that i'm not the only one with the issue. guess that makes 2 of us. when you said that your speakers work fine through the receiver do you mean that after you hooked it up and just go straight to watch a movie the speakers would out put sound? my dvd is pretty old and thus i connected it via composite cable. no sound either way.

i'll return this to newegg for a replacement. hope the next one works.
post #386 of 5030 Old 08-16-2010, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Does anyone know if this AVR supports different crossover settings per speaker set (main/satellites)?

Thanks
post #387 of 5030 Old 08-16-2010, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

^^^^
As Far as I can tell there is a single cross over setting for all the speakers. You can set the different speakers as large and small but that's just about it.
post #388 of 5030 Old 08-16-2010, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisahmed View Post

^^^^
As Far as I can tell there is a single cross over setting for all the speakers. You can set the different speakers as large and small but that's just about it.

correct, crossovers are global, but you can adjust the crossover setting in manual speaker setup.

and anyone on the fence at $500, grab it.
post #389 of 5030 Old 08-16-2010, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrfyter71 View Post

Also I have the video processing turned on, but I don't see any sort of difference on my Directv input. From what everyone else has been posting, there should be a pretty big improvement. Or I am expecting too much?

video processing is not alchemy, but a lot of compressed sources (even hd) cna be "cleaned up" through noise reduction. deinterlacing is excellent with the qdeo chip (better than my 9g kuro for example). That said, the benefit of video processing is likely: 1 incremental for most users largely feeding hd signals and 2 its benefit is correlative to the display size. Do not think this or any other video processor is going to work magic. That said, the Qdeo is the best i have tested, beating out the ABT2015 in my humble opinion.
post #390 of 5030 Old 08-16-2010, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Hi folks has anyone tried this unit with a 3D display more importantly a Panny plasma? I have heard about having issues with 3D feed via cable on the Pio Elite VSX-33. Has anyone used it with rogers cable 3D feed? I am planning my upgrade soon and am a bit worried as it was the sole reason I changed my receiver.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page