Pioneer VSX-1120 TXH HDMI V1.4 Receiver Owners' Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 5040 Old 08-19-2010, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I believe so far I had seen 4-5 people mention in this forum about having issues (quality issues like DOA etc).

1. leberserkfury - Unable to output volume?
2. fyrfyter71 - Has volume issues?
3. sathyakamaraj - First unit DOA?. Waiting for the 2nd Unit. 2nd Unit fine?
4. berkeley223 - First unit with issues with volume. 2nd Unit has issues with intermittent subwoofer output? (could be Subwoffer issue?)
5. elvisahmed- Issues with 3D?
6. txfeinbergs - DirectTv Audio Dropouts - A bug more than a QC issue?

I have excluded few other who had "remote" problems (like not working with universal remote etc).

Want to track this with folks on whether these issues were gone with their new unit.

Also looks like there are 2 variants of the VSX-1120. One manufactured in China and the other manufactured in Malaysia. Would like to know which country the problem ones came from mostly.

Thanks,
SC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 5040 Old 08-19-2010, 07:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

1) user setup issue
2) user setup issue
3) to be determined.
4) to be determined
5) to be determined
6) d* issue, not avr issue.

hope that helps...

edit: something to keep in mind, and this isn't meant as a "shot" at the "new users"... most of the "issues" that new users have are a result of setup issues or assuming that the avr does something in the way they want it to....

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #453 of 5040 Old 08-19-2010, 07:51 AM

Folks,

Will be receiving my unit tomorrow. Here is the specs of my current and future.

Room: Family room (LxWxH) - 20" x 16" x 14" with one end open to breakfast and kitchen.

Current:
1. Mitsubishi 46" 1080p LCD TV
2. Yamaha HTR-5240 (10+ years old)
3. HTPC with DVD only player (no blue ray or gaming - 7 years old)
4. Networked Windows XP media center PC
5. Technics Cassette player
6. Standalone Region-free APEX & Insignia DVD players (Used mainly for certain flavors of VCDs & DVDs that wouldn't play on HTPC)

Speakers include:
1. Energy RC-Micro 5.1
2. Additional Klipch center channel for 6.1 setup (50 Watt RMS)
3. JBL speakers (2 bookshelves + 2 satellites - 100w each) (Room B setup)

The new setup (proposed/Planned)
1. Mitsubishi 46" 1080p LCD TV
2. Pioneer VSX-1120-K (With Hard-wired RJ-45 network)
3. Soon-to-be-upgraded HTPC with blu-ray & gaming included
4. Networked Windows XP media center PC

Speakers include:
1. Energy RC-Micro 5.1
2. JBL 2 satellites - 100w each to be used for 7.1 setup in the living room

Room B: would hold Yamaha HTR-5240 with 3.0 setup. (2 JBL bookshelf + 1 Klipch center)

Any specific words of advice before I jump on to setting up the new unit?
post #454 of 5040 Old 08-19-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

1) user setup issue
2) user setup issue
3) to be determined.
4) to be determined
5) to be determined
6) d* issue, not avr issue.

hope that helps...

edit: something to keep in mind, and this isn't meant as a "shot" at the "new users"... most of the "issues" that new users have are a result of setup issues or assuming that the avr does something in the way they want it to....

Great.. Tnx for the quick response.
post #455 of 5040 Old 08-19-2010, 07:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

you are welcome...

as far as your previous post... nope, nothing special... just hook everything up the way you want, run mcacc to get a baseline setup, and enjoy...

i did have one question though...

what is this?

i didn't even know anybody HAD any casettes anymore... next you are going to tell me you have an 8-track player too...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #456 of 5040 Old 08-19-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:

^^^

you are welcome...

as far as your previous post... nope, nothing special... just hook everything up the way you want, run mcacc to get a baseline setup, and enjoy...

what is this?

i didn't even know anybody HAD any casettes anymore... next you are going to tell me you have an 8-track player too...

Thanks for the inputs. I'll try running the setup and see how things pan out.

I agree... cassettes are dead and gone long back... I DO have still about 300+ cassette tapes from the late 70s & 80s. Still lazy to convert them over to MP3s and CDs.... One of these days I will.. Until then, it is going to be Technics cassette player that would be a life saver...

I also had a whole bunch of vinyl that I had inherited from my dad & mom, but I have finished converting them to MP3s last year and I have sold my turntable since then

BTW, here is the link that has the picture of my cassette player (if you are interested) my technics player
post #457 of 5040 Old 08-19-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:

^^^

you are welcome...

what is this?

HAHAHAHAHAHA... now that's funny
post #458 of 5040 Old 08-19-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelclouds View Post

I believe so far I had seen 4-5 people mention in this forum about having issues (quality issues like DOA etc).

4. berkeley223 - First unit with issues with volume. 2nd Unit has issues with intermittent subwoofer output? (could be Subwoffer issue?)

I have excluded few other who had "remote" problems (like not working with universal remote etc).

Want to track this with folks on whether these issues were gone with their new unit.

Also looks like there are 2 variants of the VSX-1120. One manufactured in China and the other manufactured in Malaysia. Would like to know which country the problem ones came from mostly.

Thanks,
SC

I just received my VSX-1120 at work. I opened it up to check it out and sure enough it was manufactured in Malaysia. Are we sure there are Chinese manufactured units out there?

I have nothing against products made in China, but I was happy to see the "Made in Malaysia" on the back of the receiver. My VSX-1014 has been a workhorse for the past 5+ years and it was also made in Malaysia.

Can't wait to get this thing hooked up and start playing around. I chose the 1120 over the Denon 1910 & 2310, Marantz SR5003, and the Onkyo RC180 (this one was tough...as the Onkyo has tons of power and features). What sold me on the Pioneer was their history of true video passthrough...and the features of course.

I'm also excited to use just one set of speaker settings. With my 1014, I had separate settings for digital as well as Multi-Ch In (using a Pio BDP-51FD). Now that everything is going to be digital it will be much easier to dial in my subs (we'll see if I miss the Wolfson DAC's in the 51FD). Before it was extremely difficult as the LFE on Multi-Ch In was extremely low when using my SPL...and the digital inputs were extremely high. This led to boomy bass when using Coax & Optical...and close to perfect LFE (to me) on Multi-Ch In.

I went back and forth between MCACC and my own settings in the past. It will be interesting to see which setting I prefer this time through...
post #459 of 5040 Old 08-19-2010, 09:19 AM

elvisahmed: When it was getting hot all I had hooked up were 2 towers, a center, and a USB drive with music. No video source. I'm wondering if it got hot as it had more channels turned on than I was using. Maybe the setup turns off everything but what I'm using. It's luke warm now at best, but when I first had it going it was rolling heat off the top and my living room was getting hot from it! Also, since the receiver is set to SMALL then it's not putting any bass frequencies past 80hz to the speakers, so that right there probably helps cut on power as bass takes more power than tweeters do... But that doesn't explain why even with no sound it was hot as well... I have yet to connect the surrounds as I've ran out of my 100ft spool of 12gauge speaker wire! I need to order some more stuff I forgot from monoprice anyway. And I need to build some surround speaker stands (and a TV stand!) hehe.

I started to watch the dark knight last night as it was on cable and I wanted to see how much better it looked from DVD. Very nice! I'm viewing on a 720p 32" Hyperion LCD right now with 720p scaling on. Later will be a 60" sharp so it may not look as clear on the big screen depending on how far away I sit. Also I need to get the surrounds going. At reference (0db) it seems a bit much on dialog, but -6 seems to be more natural and still gets loud with action. I'm still playing and learning settings. One thing for sure is I need a darn harmony remote!!!!!!!!!! 6 remotes are too much!!

One thing to note is from a USB drive it's showing album art. On my Dad's Elite (2009) (VSX-21TXH) it was not showing the album art. Both manuals say it will do album art on an Iphone, but it looks like this years models will do it from a plain USB drive as well. I still hate pioneer's way of listing the folders where it sorts the album folders from oldest added to newest. My pioneer car HU is like this and I hate it. I have to delete all the folders on the flash drive and re-add them back every time I add a new folder or it puts it at the very bottom. It should sort alphabetically. Makes it so hard to find things. And it wears out my flash drive with all the writes I have to do to it. I may look into seeing if I can just run a utility to set all the dates on the files to the same date and then it should force the pioneer to sort by some other way rather than delete and re add...
post #460 of 5040 Old 08-19-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:

Thanks,
SC

Mine was not a problem as much as I was just verifying that the receiver is working as it should. Pretty much everything works great, I just need to spend some time tweaking the audio and video settings. The only issue I seem to be having is sometimes the audio via the ARC does not seem to work when I tune in to over the air broadcasts, or when I use my Samsung TV's media player.

By the way, my 3D seems to be working with no problems.

And Directv dropouts are much shorter than with my old Yamaha
post #461 of 5040 Old 08-19-2010, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
^^^^
3D works! that sounds great Do you mind sharing what kind of setup do you have for 3D?
I am contemplating Panasonic Plasma and will holdout on what kind of player I should get for little bit, I do have PS3 as well so gaming would be a go as soon as I buy a 3D TV.
Has anyone tried Rogers 3D channel?
post #462 of 5040 Old 08-19-2010, 10:48 AM

I have a Samsung p58c8000 plasma with a Samsung 5900 3D Blueray player and I'm using all monoprice HDMI cables. I've watched parts of Monsters VS Aliens with this setup and it looks good. Like I said before though I still need to play with the settings.
post #463 of 5040 Old 08-19-2010, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtut View Post

What was the Onkyo model # you were using?

It was an Onkyo HT-R557 that was claimed to be 115x5 watts. I came in an Onkyo HTIB i had purchased about 4 years ago

JBL Pro Cinema
post #464 of 5040 Old 08-19-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyNick View Post

I just received my VSX-1120 at work. I opened it up to check it out and sure enough it was manufactured in Malaysia. Are we sure there are Chinese manufactured units out there?

I have nothing against products made in China, but I was happy to see the "Made in Malaysia" on the back of the receiver. My VSX-1014 has been a workhorse for the past 5+ years and it was also made in Malaysia.

Can't wait to get this thing hooked up and start playing around. I chose the 1120 over the Denon 1910 & 2310, Marantz SR5003, and the Onkyo RC180 (this one was tough...as the Onkyo has tons of power and features). What sold me on the Pioneer was their history of true video passthrough...and the features of course.

I'm also excited to use just one set of speaker settings. With my 1014, I had separate settings for digital as well as Multi-Ch In (using a Pio BDP-51FD). Now that everything is going to be digital it will be much easier to dial in my subs (we'll see if I miss the Wolfson DAC's in the 51FD). Before it was extremely difficult as the LFE on Multi-Ch In was extremely low when using my SPL...and the digital inputs were extremely high. This led to boomy bass when using Coax & Optical...and close to perfect LFE (to me) on Multi-Ch In.

I went back and forth between MCACC and my own settings in the past. It will be interesting to see which setting I prefer this time through...

Great... keep us posted how your setup goes (.... and tests with different sounds viz Movie, Music, etc. and different components viz DVD, Blu-ray, 3D, iPod, Tuner, SACD, DVD-Audio etc. as applicable)
post #465 of 5040 Old 08-19-2010, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

I got to spend more time with the 1120 today and got to fine tune the bass. I bumped up the SW Channel up a few notches and it now stands at -5.5. I also had to bump up the Center Channel 1db and now stands at -3.0. I am leaning towards using the pure direct mode instead of the THX cinema for lossless audio. Too bad the channel settings for speakers are not independent for each input (I think I read it in the manual somewhere). HD net is showing a jazz concert that I have recorded I guess I will use it to fine tune it musically tonight. I am still disturbed that MCACC shows errors on the rear backs every once in a while even though they are connected correctly. I guess I should call it a day and learn to live with it.
BTW I am luving the ALC for watching TV as it does boast up everything at lower volumes.
post #466 of 5040 Old 08-19-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrfyter71 View Post

Mine was not a problem as much as I was just verifying that the receiver is working as it should. Pretty much everything works great, I just need to spend some time tweaking the audio and video settings. The only issue I seem to be having is sometimes the audio via the ARC does not seem to work when I tune in to over the air broadcasts, or when I use my Samsung TV's media player.

By the way, my 3D seems to be working with no problems.

And Directv dropouts are much shorter than with my old Yamaha

Please note that the DirecTV issue is not a Pioneer receiver issue. It is purely a DirecTV transmission issue. Some audio receivers handle it better than others though, and the Pioneer 1120 appears to be one of the best at handling it. (0.5 second audio drops compared to 3 seconds with my Onkyo).

Sorry, meant to quote the original person's post i.e. Steelcloud's.
post #467 of 5040 Old 08-19-2010, 01:00 PM

This is a very minor issue, but going to ask it anyway. Has anyone noticed that the XBOX 360 menu navigation sounds cut out with this receiver i.e. the small sounds that are typically made when switching screens / selecting options while browsing XBOX Live menus. If yes, were you able to figure out a way to fix it?
post #468 of 5040 Old 08-19-2010, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

^^^^
How are you connecting the xbox audio via HDMI or optical. I have an older xbox i.e. no HDMI and it works flawlessly via optical connection.
post #469 of 5040 Old 08-19-2010, 01:36 PM

Can anyone comment on if they feel the amp is lacking? If you upgraded is there a big improvement in sound and video?
post #470 of 5040 Old 08-19-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:

Thanks,
SC

my first unit was a dud. my issues with my second were related to set up--i.e., once I set the subwoofer output to "plus" and not "yes" the problem I had went away. There were other issues with only getting stereo sound from some TV channels that stumped the Pioneer tech support guy as to what was causing them, but after changing a few settings the problem went away.
post #471 of 5040 Old 08-19-2010, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeCourtney View Post

Can anyone comment on if they feel the amp is lacking? If you upgraded is there a big improvement in sound and video?

Video is a big upgrade IMHO over the denon for SDTV. Sound wise I don't think its a leap and its pretty much even with the Denon. THX modes are a plus if you are into that. Mind you I don't have power hungry Speakers anymore. I like ALC for Watching TV and internet radio is interesting so far. I luv the PC remote.
post #472 of 5040 Old 08-19-2010, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeCourtney View Post

Who said it's lacking?
post #473 of 5040 Old 08-19-2010, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

"arc" = audio return channel... you can't send video over it...

I mean I wanted to play [b]videos[b] not video through ARC. I'm fully aware that the output is one way. I want to play videos using the media player on my TV and transmit the audio back to the receiver. What setting do I use?
post #474 of 5040 Old 08-19-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:

6. txfeinbergs - DirectTv Audio Dropouts - A bug more than a QC issue

I have a directv hr24......no audio dropouts...so im thinking some other problem.
post #475 of 5040 Old 08-19-2010, 03:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

here is what you first asked:

"I wanted to use my Samsung C7000 as a DLNA server and play video into the 1120 through the ARC."

sure reads to me like you were asking how to send video to the 1120..

however...

see page 52 of your manual... start with the first paragraph...

also, with hdmi control turned on, you cannot assign hdmi inputs...

there are also likely settings you have to make on the display, but i'm not familiar with sammy's at all... check the owner's thread for it...

good luck...

- chris

post #476 of 5040 Old 08-19-2010, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldeveraux View Post

I mean I wanted to play [b]videos[b] not video through ARC. I'm fully aware that the output is one way. I want to play videos using the media player on my TV and transmit the audio back to the receiver. What setting do I use?

Hi ldeveraux, on the receiver set Control HDMI to "On" and Audio Tv to "Via HDMI". On the Tv connect HDMI cable to HDMI Input 2 and set HDMI-CEC feature (AnyNet+) to "On". Then go into AnyNet+ menu under "Receiver" and turn this to "On" as well.
post #477 of 5040 Old 08-19-2010, 07:07 PM

Guys, getting my new 1120 tomorrow. I have the Infinity TSS 1200 speaker set with a comcast HD Dvr. The wires which came with the speakers are not long enough to go to my rear speakers. Is it ok if i initially just connect the front left, right and center channels with the sub?
If yes how should i set up the speakers as? Any quick guidance will be highly appreciated.

Samsung UN55D6400, Comcast HD DVR, Infinity TSS-1200 speakers, Pioneer VSX-1120k
post #478 of 5040 Old 08-19-2010, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

^^^^^^
Congrats on your purchase. There is no problem connecting just l,r,c and sub initially. The Mcacc should be able to identify which speakers are connected and will do the assessment based upon that. I am not familiar with that speaker set but still I would set them to small even if MCACC identifies them as large so your sub is always engaged.
Good Luck,
post #479 of 5040 Old 08-19-2010, 08:36 PM

My 1120 arrived today and have it up and running. A few initial thoughts.

1. Power: This puppy has plenty of power for my purposes. There is a fair amount of source-to-source variability in the sound levels, but I'll play with the ARC another day.

2. Build quality: Seems top notch. Made in Malaysia. Very cool running. Respectable weight. No complaints.

3. Sound quality. Auto MCACC set my speakers to large, but I turned them back to small with a 80hz crossover. Sounds really nice. Plenty of bass, nice balance across the sound stage, center seems about spot on, surrounds are lower than I am used to. MCACC failed to locate my sub's distance correctly. This might have to do with my placement, but I'll sweat that another day.

4. Video quality: One of my fears that I couldn't resolve by reading the manual was whether or not the video scaling was AVR wide or per source. With testing, I am happy to report that scaling is source specific. Sadly, too many options to get into tonight, but it seems to work very well.

5. Connectivity: The pc-based connection and iphone connection are very nice indeed. I ran internet radio just briefly but it was nice. On screen display of song title etc for 1fm (or what ever it is called).

6. Remote: Not the best. Will likely want to use a universal at some point for daily use. Set up with it is okay, but the number of buttons is overwhelming. I wish I could figure out if more of the functions could be assessed using the web interface (like renaming video sources).

7. Future tinkerings: Additional video settings. Might try to see if my blu-ray player will output component and hdmi so that I could see if the Marvel improves upon DVD playback through my BD player--it's an LG and doesn't do that well with DVD playback. Will continue tweaking the video settings for the Series 2 TiVo and Wii (both currently feed the 1120 from component wires).

I have waited months for this day and I'm very pleased with day 1.
post #480 of 5040 Old 08-19-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

Who said it's lacking?

I've just been reading on here and I've gotten the idea that many prospective buyers have doubts about the amp.

Mine will be here tomorrow and I'll be sure to post a comparison from upgrading from my Onkyo.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page