Pioneer VSX-1120 TXH HDMI V1.4 Receiver Owners' Thread - Page 163 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4861 of 5030 Old 02-24-2012, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A friend purchased an Onkyo RC-360, and I helped set it up yesterday. My first impression is of surprise at how powerful it sounded. It was easy to hear its beefier amp section. We both have the same speakers, and the Onkyo seemed to drive them better. But.. I thought it lacked the musical sweetness of my 1120k. Onkyo had raw power, but no finesse.

I'm now wondering if adding an external amp to the 1120k gives me the best of everything.

Anybody here have an experience with Onkyo? Are my thoughts correct?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4862 of 5030 Old 02-24-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .peace. View Post

A friend purchased an Onkyo RC-360, and I helped set it up yesterday. My first impression is of surprise at how powerful it sounded. It was easy to hear its beefier amp section. We both have the same speakers, and the Onkyo seemed to drive them better. But.. I thought it lacked the musical sweetness of my 1120k. Onkyo had raw power, but no finesse.

I'm now wondering if adding an external amp to the 1120k gives me the best of everything.

Anybody here have an experience with Onkyo? Are my thoughts correct?

I think maybe you were hearing a difference in the rooms more than the receivers.
post #4863 of 5030 Old 02-24-2012, 08:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
yes, and the speakers...

i seriously doubt that in any type of reasonably well controlled test, the user could differentiate the two avr's in questions....

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #4864 of 5030 Old 02-24-2012, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
More likely a difference in setup/EQ (Audyssey vs. MCACC) than the amplifier section, I would suspect.

(or the room or speakers as were mentioned)
post #4865 of 5030 Old 02-24-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan_awd View Post

I think maybe you were hearing a difference in the rooms more than the receivers.

That would be true in most cases, but I let my friend borrow my 1120k for a couple of days and I listened to 1120k in his room before we hooked up the RC-360. So, unless I'm imagining things (which I am not ruling out entirely), there is some audible difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

yes, and the speakers...

i seriously doubt that in any type of reasonably well controlled test, the user could differentiate the two avr's in questions....

We both have the same speakers.

post #4866 of 5030 Old 02-24-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

More likely a difference in setup/EQ (Audyssey vs. MCACC) than the amplifier section, I would suspect.

(or the room or speakers as were mentioned)

Setup/EQ!! This might be it.

post #4867 of 5030 Old 02-24-2012, 09:37 AM

Liked: 147
I can unequivically say my Denon 3808 sounded better than the Pioneer does. My Denon died on me. It sounded "fuller", if that makes any sense. Most likely it was Audyssey, though.
post #4868 of 5030 Old 02-24-2012, 09:44 AM

The only wait to truly compare them would be to set them both up to "sound direct" or whatever onkyo calls it. That way you have no post processing/eq applied to the sound.
post #4869 of 5030 Old 02-24-2012, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

I can unequivically say my Denon 3808 sounded better than the Pioneer does. My Denon died on me. It sounded "fuller", if that makes any sense. Most likely it was Audyssey, though.

Hmm my experience was a bit different from yours. I switched from a Denon 2808Ci (I understand 3808 is a step up AVR) to the 1120K and found Pioneer better for movies and TV (Denon sounded better for music IMO)
Same setup in my case.
post #4870 of 5030 Old 02-24-2012, 05:21 PM

Well...to be absolutely correct, you'd need to do a blind comparison, to weed out any pre-conceived perceptions you might have about a given receiver (i.e. expecting one to sound 'better' than the other).
post #4871 of 5030 Old 02-26-2012, 03:59 AM

Hey guys Belive it or not I've been following this thread since the very beginning, a while back and I mean a while back they were talking about the receiver's DAC I can't seem to remember what page tho, so I rather ask.

While watching movies or TV the system sounds amazing but I think it could do better on music, so I was wondering which of the pre selected audio parameters will better use the DAC?
I currently use Auto Surround btw.

Thanks.
post #4872 of 5030 Old 02-26-2012, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evildude View Post

Hey guys Belive it or not I've been following this thread since the very beginning, a while back and I mean a while back they were talking about the receiver's DAC I can't seem to remember what page tho, so I rather ask.

While watching movies or TV the system sounds amazing but I think it could do better on music, so I was wondering which of the pre selected audio parameters will better use the DAC?

Thanks.

Most music is recorded in stereo, so your best bet might be to listen in the "Stereo" mode. If you want to skip the processing and listening to the music as it is recorded, use "Direct" or "Pure Direct".

Personally, I like Stereo, Neural Surround, and (sometimes) F.S. Surr Wide modes.

post #4873 of 5030 Old 02-26-2012, 05:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
you have no control over "the dac"...

what you do have is control over is "post processing" (i.e. matrixed surround modes, etc.)...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #4874 of 5030 Old 02-26-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

you have no control over "the dac"...

what you do have is control over is "post processing" (i.e. matrixed surround modes, etc.)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by .peace. View Post

Most music is recorded in stereo, so your best bet might be to listen in the "Stereo" mode. If you want to skip the processing and listening to the music as it is recorded, use "Direct" or "Pure Direct".

Personally, I like Stereo, Neural Surround, and (sometimes) F.S. Surr Wide modes.

So my best bet is let the receiver find the best listening mode as specified when using Auto Surround?

Ok, thanks guys!
post #4875 of 5030 Old 02-27-2012, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evildude View Post

Thanks.

I like plain stereo or Dolby PLX II Music mode or for music if I am listening alone if I have a group at home and just want background music I just use Ext.Stereo. I hardly ever listen to music on this but kinda agree the previous AVR did a better job in the same setup (though this one is just right for Movies and TV which I watch almost 99% of the time)
post #4876 of 5030 Old 03-05-2012, 09:50 PM

After a few days of listening, I'm quite blown away by the RC 360's power. Room acoustics do matter, but given that I also listened to my 1120 in the same room with the same speakers, I can rule that out.

There's the question of Audyssey vs. MCACC too but I don't think it'll make THAT big of a difference (the midrange and bass have been a revelation).. if it does, I'd have to say that Audyssey is much better for music at least.

I'm right now wondering if I should add an external amp to the 1120 and see if it makes any difference. Getting another receiver is an option as well, but other than the aforementioned power and musicality, the implementation of everything else seems more refined on the 1120. Anyone here tried to audition a 1121? I heard its amp section is much beefier compared to 1120, and it also has DLNA and plays flac.

post #4877 of 5030 Old 03-08-2012, 10:19 AM

Hi, I have some basic questions about the web control function on my VSX-1120k and would be grateful for some assistance.

As far as I can tell, the function is quite limited.

I have a flash drive connected to the ipod/usb terminal, and with the web control I can select that as the input, but there is no function on the web control interface that allows me to select and play any music from the flash drive. Is that correct, or am I missing something? I'm wondering why the interface would allow me to select an input and then not let me do anything with it.

Similarly, I can select tuner as the input, but I am then limited to the station that is already on -- no way to select another station with the web control. Is that also correct?

It seems the only thing I can control is internet radio settings, but even there I don't see any way to conveniently change the station if I am using internet radio as my input.

My goal is to be in one room with my pc and my zone 2 speakers and have as much access as possible to the AVR which is in another room.

Thanks.
post #4878 of 5030 Old 03-09-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

I finally got cat5 routed to my receiver, and was playing around with various features that require internet connection, such as internet radio, and noticed the same thing - initially I couldn't scroll up and down or select any station. I looked for others having the same / similar problem via Googling around, and found someone mentioned restarting the router - so I powered everything off, then turned on the router, wait 60 seconds, turned on switch, wait 60 seconds, then turned on the receiver, and it worked after that.

Pretty sure you can rule out batteries, I was using my Harmony Remote to control it (which was fully charged).

Brad--when I read you reply the first couple of times, I did not have anything go on in my brain; however, today a light bulb clicked on, and I think you may have identified a potential factor with the router. I have a sort of Rube Goldberg setup where the 1120 is plugged I to an Asus router that is converted to client mode. The Asus is connected wirelessly to the router in the closet that is connected to the cable modem, AND, a few months ago I switched from an old Linksys WRT 54G to a new Apple Time Capsule. The Apple works better in many respects; however, now that I think about it, the problems I described became more entrenched around the time I installed the new router. I think that with WiFi sometimes you just have to take this stuff in stride and get over it-maybe there is no fix. Thanks for your help.
post #4879 of 5030 Old 03-22-2012, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACinPittsford View Post

Hi, I have some basic questions about the web control function on my VSX-1120k and would be grateful for some assistance.

As far as I can tell, the function is quite limited.

I have a flash drive connected to the ipod/usb terminal, and with the web control I can select that as the input, but there is no function on the web control interface that allows me to select and play any music from the flash drive. Is that correct, or am I missing something? I'm wondering why the interface would allow me to select an input and then not let me do anything with it.

Similarly, I can select tuner as the input, but I am then limited to the station that is already on -- no way to select another station with the web control. Is that also correct?

It seems the only thing I can control is internet radio settings, but even there I don't see any way to conveniently change the station if I am using internet radio as my input.

My goal is to be in one room with my pc and my zone 2 speakers and have as much access as possible to the AVR which is in another room.

Thanks.

1- I have never used the USB in for any other thing but my ipod, but I think it should be able to play some music from the jump drive as long as the selected file is supported, check the manual for that.

2-Once you press "tuner" on the remote use left/right on the circle button to change the stations press and hold to auto-tune.
Same thing applies when you press "net Radio" but for that one you must first press "right" on the circle then up/down to navigate thru the stations you have stored.

3-You can control the avr using your pc, but for that you'll need to have the avr connected to your home network and then figure out it's IP adress by pressing "home menu" on the remote then going to system setting then network setting, there check the ip adress and enter that on your browser to control the avr, you can't control many things on it but you can at least turn the Vol up/down and such.

read the manual to find more info on each subject.
post #4880 of 5030 Old 03-22-2012, 07:31 AM

Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttyR2 View Post

Well...to be absolutely correct, you'd need to do a blind comparison, to weed out any pre-conceived perceptions you might have about a given receiver (i.e. expecting one to sound 'better' than the other).

I expected them to sound the same, since everyone (well, most) people here say they should have. I was actually shocked to notice a difference.
post #4881 of 5030 Old 03-28-2012, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

Boy I sure hope somebody can help with new problem. While watching a DVD last nite I kept hearing a muffled modulating kind of low tone sound that was audible beneath the sound of the DVD. I paused the DVD and sure enuf there was the sound kind of on off on off on off sound.

I switched to tv and the same sound exists. I have no idea what to look for test or do.

What do u guys think??
post #4882 of 5030 Old 03-28-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotkey View Post

Boy I sure hope somebody can help with new problem. While watching a DVD last nite I kept hearing a muffled modulating kind of low tone sound that was audible beneath the sound of the DVD. I paused the DVD and sure enuf there was the sound kind of on off on off on off sound.

I switched to tv and the same sound exists. I have no idea what to look for test or do.

What do u guys think??

Sounds like interference, make sure everything is plugged in ok and not loose, also if you have a loose hanging cord like a mini jack for audio or something unplug it or make sure the loose end isn't touching anything.
post #4883 of 5030 Old 03-28-2012, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan_awd View Post

Sounds like interference, make sure everything is plugged in ok and not loose, also if you have a loose hanging cord like a mini jack for audio or something unplug it or make sure the loose end isn't touching anything.

Thx. As I started diving into wires I discovered sound was actually a disc eject warning from my ma mini sitting right next to rcvr! All good again.
post #4884 of 5030 Old 04-04-2012, 10:40 AM

Anyone had issues with picture quality? I've had my 1120K for a while now and all of a sudden, the picture on my TV will get a lot of static in it. I've been able to take equipment out and reduce the problem down to the receiver itself.

If I power cycle the unit, the problem goes away for a few hours or even days. Also, I can leave the unit on but unplugging/replugging in the HDMI cable (doesn't matter if it's input/output) will fix the static issue as well. Sometimes the issue won't come up for days, then when it comes back, it'll pop back up as often as every 5-10 minutes.

Any thoughts?
post #4885 of 5030 Old 04-04-2012, 12:02 PM

I would try a new HDMI cable. If that doesn't do the trick my next guess would be the power transformer in the receiver may be going bad...

-Karl
post #4886 of 5030 Old 05-20-2012, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Does anyone have experience with the Blue Tooth adaptor(the BT100)? I've been wanting to play music wirelessly from my iPhone, as well as audiobooks. This is a much more elegant solution rather than the old mini jack/2 RCA Y cable, I just hate having to shell out $100 for it. Really blows that it wasn't designed into the receiver from the get go.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Snake Plissken

post #4887 of 5030 Old 05-21-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plissken99 View Post

Does anyone have experience with the Blue Tooth adaptor(the BT100)? I've been wanting to play music wirelessly from my iPhone, as well as audiobooks. This is a much more elegant solution rather than the old mini jack/2 RCA Y cable, I just hate having to shell out $100 for it. Really blows that it wasn't designed into the receiver from the get go.

I use the bT100 sometimes to play songs from my BlackBerry. I also can play from iTuners on my PC. I can't remember if I've used it from my iPod. It works really well.

I couldn't justify paying $100 for it but when Newegg had a $20 special 18 months ago, I and several others jumped on it. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1719
post #4888 of 5030 Old 05-21-2012, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddle View Post

I use the bT100 sometimes to play songs from my BlackBerry. I also can play from iTuners on my PC. I can't remember if I've used it from my iPod. It works really well.

I couldn't justify paying $100 for it but when Newegg had a $20 special 18 months ago, I and several others jumped on it. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1719

That would have been nice.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Snake Plissken

post #4889 of 5030 Old 05-21-2012, 10:41 AM

Liked: 27
Quote:

If you have a wifi network and still have an empty hdmi slot or optical audio slot you might consider getting an appletv2 too. It costs about 100$ too but airplay does not only do audio but video too and works excellent with an iphone. Or a airport express if you do not have a wifi network but thats only for audio
post #4890 of 5030 Old 05-21-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:

Mine lasted a week or two before it died. Waste of money. Of course I should have returned it, but I never got around to it. :-P

Actually, I got an Apple TV and never looked back. Airplay is a beautiful thing and the ATV can do a lot of other stuff. I think it's a steal for $99.

Also, now they have some new Bluetooth adapters that I'm pretty sure work better than the BT-100, if you want to go the Bluetooth route. Technology marches on. And you can use them with any company's product, not just Pioneer stuff. Check out this one from Logitech: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/speake...s/devices/8087
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page