Pioneer VSX-1120 TXH HDMI V1.4 Receiver Owners' Thread - Page 170 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

Old 01-30-2016, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How are these holding up for people?

Mine just turned 5 years old. It's on about 16 hours a day and has had a 200mm fan exhausting from the top of it since day 1. I remember reading about a number of early failures which I attributed mostly to heat stress. I hope I'm not just lucky..? I'll continue to use it as long as it lasts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2016, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Mine still ran perfectly until it was replaced by a a used Denon 4520ci, which needed $350 in repairs & worked for a few weeks before all the HDMI inputs started acting flakey. Returned the 1120 back into service, then replaced it with a used Onkyo, which started turning my TV set off after a while. Back went the Pioneer, until I finally broke down & bought a new Marantz SR6010. The 1120 was /is a great AVR then & now. Am keeping it as a backup, cuz yah never know!!
galneon likes this.

Heart in SoCal - Soul from the Motor City
AFTV2+ SPMC=>SR6010=>Chane A2rx-c x 3+ DCM OW-1s x 2 +Klipch HQ-12 sub
Old 03-09-2016, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 180
We're 5 years in on ours and it's been rock solid, zero issues, since Day One. We upgraded to some uber power hungry 4 ohm speakers for the C, FR and FL almost 2 years ago, and since then the 1120 gets an Emotiva assist pushing those. But as you say, it's been a great AVR, and does all the switching and decoding we need. Except Atmos and X, of course, but we're patient. Or cheap. (Actually, mostly just cheap.) 😜
Danabw, christoofar and galneon like this.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Been using this receiver since the day it came out with no problems so far. In fact, this is the only piece of A/V gear I haven't updated in the past two years.

I recently purchased an LG EG9100 OLED. Between that and getting the new AppleTV I actually came on here to see if anyone has any setting suggestions. Right now I have ATV, PS3, & DirectTV going into 1120 via HDMI & then 1120 going into OLED via HDMI.

Since these newer panels now support 24fps wasn't sure if have 1120 processing was still necessary (or even best).

Thoughts??

Dustin
LG OLED 55EG9100 | Samsung PN51D8000 (DEAD)
Pioneer VSX-1120-K | PS3slim | AppleTV4
Polk Audio | RC85i | RC60i | RM202 | PSW10
Old 03-18-2016, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLux247 View Post
Been using this receiver since the day it came out with no problems ... recently purchased an LG EG9100 OLED ... I came on to see if anyone has any setting suggestions. Right now I have ATV, PS3, & DirectTV going into 1120 via HDMI & then 1120 going into OLED via HDMI.
That sounds like the best way to do it, absent some special reason not to.

Quote:
Since these newer panels now support 24fps wasn't sure if 1120 processing was still necessary (or even best).
That depends on what you mean exactly by "1120 processing" -- how do you have your 1120 set currently? (I'm one of the many that don't use the 1120's video processing any longer.)

Tell us how you like your new OLED!

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post
That sounds like the best way to do it, absent some special reason not to.

That depends on what you mean exactly by "1120 processing" -- how do you have your 1120 set currently? (I'm one of the many that don't use the 1120's video processing any longer.)

Tell us how you like your new OLED!
For AppleTV (HDMI 2 port)
I had the video conversion still w resolution set to 1080 and PureCinema to auto. Everything else is set factory. Curious as to why haven't used yours in a while? Not saying it's wrong, pure curiosity...

I've got audio parameter to pure direct.

I refused LCD as I HATE ghosting. Always thought plasma was better bc black levels and processing speed. When I saw OLED I finally saw something that was so good I couldn't resist. Little over a week and so far it hasn't disappointed. Still tweaking but wow, it's incredible!

Dustin
Old 04-27-2016, 04:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I see some of you have apple tv connected to the 1120. I assume it connects directly with hdmi, is that correct?

Does it enable airplay from an iphone through the apple tv to the receiver? Both music and video? Are any special settings required for the 1120? Does it seem to work well?

I tried the bluetooth adapter years ago and found it to be next to useless, so I'm trying to find out if apple tv is a better solution.

Thanks for any info you can provide.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MACinPittsford View Post
I see some of you have apple tv connected to the 1120. I assume it connects directly with hdmi, is that correct?

Does it enable airplay from an iphone through the apple tv to the receiver? Both music and video? Are any special settings required for the 1120? Does it seem to work well?

I tried the bluetooth adapter years ago and found it to be next to useless, so I'm trying to find out if apple tv is a better solution.

Thanks for any info you can provide.
One more question -- can I get the airplay music to play over Zone 2 speakers?
Old 06-06-2016, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question

I just picked up this bad boy on Craigslist. I know it unfortunately doesn't support dlna/airplay but it has an ethernet port for some remote controls and Internet radio.
I figured out how to connect it on my network and change the internet radio station URLs. Now I'd like to stream music from my pc locally on my network.

I tried using VLC to stream over http. I set the station url to my ip: (not a link) 192.168.1.201:8080
I only get a connection error. Does this receiver not work with local network streams? Do I have to stream a specific format? Do I have to forward router ports or other shenanigans?

Has anyone successfull used a PC (shoutcast? Icecast?) to stream locally to the internet radio function?
Thanks.

EDIT:
I managed moderate success using an Icecast server + butt to stream a virtual audio cable to myip:8000/stream
Caveats:
- ONLY works with mp3 streaming so far. Connection error reported for Ogg vorbis, FLAC, AAC, and opus format.
- 48khz on the audio output or input devices causes horrible noise, but 44.1khz is clean.

Last edited by jamus28; 06-13-2016 at 12:28 AM. Reason: New useful info
Old 06-19-2016, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Mine is apparently dead. We had a lightning strike a tree in our yard. Killed the cable box, modem, tap and a splitter, along with my 1120. It comes on...takes literally a minute to do so. You can switch inputs, etc, but it will not output anything to my amp. (I use the preamp outs for an external amp)

I assume it is kaput.

This sucks. I still loved this receiver. Bought it probably 3-4 years ago off Craigslist and only gave $175 for it. I'm not going to smell a deal like that now for any receiver with preamp outs.

What's funny is, it was plugged into the same surge protector that my 65" VT60, 3 game systems and the cable box were, but only the receiver and cable box got hurt. Everything else is okay.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
What's funny is, it was plugged into the same surge protector that my 65" VT60, 3 game systems and the cable box were, but only the receiver and cable box got hurt. Everything else is okay.
And the coax probably isn't surge protected the same way the power is (if at all). Sounds like the power surge came in on the coax, and the cable box passed it on to the receiver (this can happen even via HDMI, I have been told).

Bummer
Old 06-21-2016, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Curious as to why haven't used your [video processing] in a while? Not saying it's wrong, pure curiosity...
Sorry, this delayed response is brought to you courtesy of my lazy arse getting way too busy there for a while. But on the video processing thing, my whole goal is to get the purest, most unprocessed signal from the shiny disc to the display (in my case a projected image). I don't want anything to do anything to it. Then get as good an ISF calibration as I can, so the rendered image is as faithfully replicated as possible.

Same general approach on the audio side, although I tend to push the LFE a little, or even a lot. The purist in me gets horrified. But I do it anyway.

Quote:
... When I saw OLED I finally saw something that was so good I couldn't resist. Little over a week and so far it hasn't disappointed. Still tweaking but wow, it's incredible!
Awesome, glad it's fun. Bet you've got it dialed in now!

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
Old Today, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACinPittsford View Post
One more question -- can I get the airplay music to play over Zone 2 speakers?
Well I'm sure you've figured this out by now but the ATV Airplay works great. Never had an issue with it. Not sure about zone 2 though

Dustin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement