Pioneer VSX-1120 TXH HDMI V1.4 Receiver Owners' Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
First ... 17  18  19 20  21  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > Pioneer VSX-1120 TXH HDMI V1.4 Receiver Owners' Thread
ccotenj's Avatar ccotenj 10:50 AM 08-23-2010
^^^

yup... sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

that being said... i'm not really sure how many people can feasibly set up a 9.1 system... "more" isn't always better... i went from a "somewhat compromised" 7.1 setup to a "reasonably uncompromised" 5.1 setup, and i'd never go back to the "compromised" 7.1...

leadfoot24's Avatar leadfoot24 11:39 AM 08-23-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmanx View Post

1. The main issue is that, sometimes, I (and mostly my wife) just want to turn on the TV and watch without having to fire up the receiver and listen to the news through the speakers. I can't figure out how I can do this. Is there any way that I can just watch the TV using the TV speakers when the receiver is off? I can't figure out how to do this with this receiver.

You can always hook up a set of component video and audio cables from the cable box to the TV. You'd switch to the component input on the TV when you don't want to fire up the receiver, and to the HDMI input on the TV when you want the receiver to participate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmanx View Post

2. Right now my setup includes an oppo blueray player and an LG 60PK950. The oppo doesn't have the ability to stream netflix, but the TV actually can stream netflix using it's own wifi or ethernet connection. So the question is when I stream neftlix using the TV, how can I watch movies streaming on netflix but still take advantage of the receiver and the speakers.

If your TV doesn't support ARC, you can use an audio cable (preferably optical out) from your TV audio out to the receiver.
CincyAudio's Avatar CincyAudio 11:44 AM 08-23-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by codexone View Post

Hi elmanx, you'll need to get hdmi 1.4 compliant cable. Look for 3D + Audio Return Channel support when you buy the cable. That way when you watch TV, your sound will be sent to your receiver from your TV using ARC.

My HDMI cables are version 1.3B compliant. So if I get an HDMI 1.4 compliant cable and connect it to my Panasonic G25 and the output HDMI port on my Pioneer 1120, I will be able to listen to Pandora (on G25) through my receiver? I tried this yesterday and it didn't work. I assumed I just needed to run a second HDMI cable from the TV to an input port on the receiver.
ccotenj's Avatar ccotenj 11:49 AM 08-23-2010
^^^

- there is no such thing as a "hdmi 1.4" cable... there are "cables with ethernet" and "cables without ethernet"... what do hdmi versions and specs really mean?

- the existing cable will work for audio return channel...

- no, you don't need a second cable... that would defeat the entire purpose of arc, which was to eliminate the audio cable running from the tv to the avr...

- check all of your setup options... if it's not working, it's likely a user setup error...
CincyAudio's Avatar CincyAudio 12:42 PM 08-23-2010
OK fair enough, I have only had a chance to play with the receiver for a day. I believe my Panasonic G25 supports ARC so I will verify if there is a setting on the TV that I need to enable.

I spent a minute trying to get the Pandora app on the TV to output through the receiver but had no luck so I moved on to more important things.

BTW, is there any difference between the "BD" HDMI port and the other HDMI ports on the back of the 1120? I am guessing the BD port is for a blu-ray player.
mariob33's Avatar mariob33 01:18 PM 08-23-2010
My parents just recently purchased one of these through BB but after about 2weeks they felt it was just too complicated for them (a full AVR). You know simple things like turning it on/off and setting inputs or in my fathers terms "your mother keeps screwing it up"..Sure Dad . To get to the point, they were set to return it but when i looked at what they paid with discounts for buying other items (TV/Tivo/Comcast HD/Harmony remote) it was well so right i couldnt pass it up. So, i offerred to buy them a Panasonic bluray HTIB (this was their 1st preference) and would keep the 1120.

The sound/video scaling is quite impressive from this unit. I will have to admit its probably on par in video performance as my denon 4810. I plan on hooking it up to my PJ (FPJ1) over the weekend to get a taste of its performance on a larger screen. In my opinion allowing the scaling/conversion of all signal types is a ++++. This was a feature i felt that the 27 should have had at its price point. It mimics in a lot of ways its elite siblings (I owned a SC-27 at one point during the Magnolia sale fest) in overall characteristics. I was so impressed with what this unit could do that I relegated my trusty 3310 to bedroom duties and moved this into family room. It a lovely match to my pioneer 141 .

Now, for the problem/user error (i hope) maybe. For the life of me, I cant get this to workwith the iphone app. The unit is networked I can get internet radio and my local media share but no app control. I even tested the webcontrol gui and that works as well. The only thing which doesnt is the iphone app. When i try and make a connection to the unit from my iphone i get the following errror code "Error Code: B27102". Before i call pioneer, I figured i would see if anyone else has seen had this issue.
codexone's Avatar codexone 01:21 PM 08-23-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyAudio View Post

My HDMI cables are version 1.3B compliant. So if I get an HDMI 1.4 compliant cable and connect it to my Panasonic G25 and the output HDMI port on my Pioneer 1120, I will be able to listen to Pandora (on G25) through my receiver? I tried this yesterday and it didn't work. I assumed I just needed to run a second HDMI cable from the TV to an input port on the receiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

- there is no such thing as a "hdmi 1.4" cable... there are "cables with ethernet" and "cables without ethernet"... what do hdmi versions and specs really mean?

- the existing cable will work for audio return channel...

- no, you don't need a second cable... that would defeat the entire purpose of arc, which was to eliminate the audio cable running from the tv to the avr...

- check all of your setup options... if it's not working, it's likely a user setup error...

There is no such thing as hdmi 1.4, I agree. But if he is not able to get ARC, maybe he has a "standard speed" HDMI and not "High Speed" HDMI cable. If thats the case, he can get a HDMI High Speed Cable w/ethernet (which is 3D ready and ARC capable) and see if that works. It doesnt cost much, about 4 dollars on monoprice and there are also some cheap cables at Amazon.
CincyAudio's Avatar CincyAudio 01:44 PM 08-23-2010
Quote:

There is no such thing as hdmi 1.4, I agree. But if he is not able to get ARC, maybe he has a "standard speed" HDMI and not "High Speed" HDMI cable. If thats the case, he can get a HDMI High Speed Cable w/ethernet (which is 3D ready and ARC capable) and see if that works. It doesnt cost much, about 4 dollars on monoprice and there are also some cheap cables at Amazon.

I verified my amazon.com purchase from March. I have 4X Mediabridge Ultra Series 10ft high speed HDMI cables. It says category2 certified on the listing.
CincyAudio's Avatar CincyAudio 01:46 PM 08-23-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post

Now, for the problem/user error (i hope) maybe. For the life of me, I cant get this to workwith the iphone app. The unit is networked I can get internet radio and my local media share but no app control. I even tested the webcontrol gui and that works as well. The only thing which doesnt is the iphone app. When i try and make a connection to the unit from my iphone i get the following errror code "Error Code: B27102". Before i call pioneer, I figured i would see if anyone else has seen had this issue.

I am not sure this helped but I enabled network standby to "on" when I was playing with the 1120 settings. Make sure your iPhone is also set to wireless, when I first pulled out my iPhone, I had wifi disabled and was trying to connect via 3G. Yeah that won't work...
Paperboy2003's Avatar Paperboy2003 01:50 PM 08-23-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeley223 View Post

I have a "universal" brand universal remote and I'm having an issue with the 1120 using it--everything is set up great but the universal remote (both using the learning function and the code) insists on treating the function select button as both "off" and "on," by which I mean if when I turn it on, then push the SAT button and change channels, then decide I want to switch back to the receiver function, it will turn off the receiver when I push the button. Anyone else having a similar issue and/or have any suggestions? thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post

Did you disabled the HDMI control function in receiver's setup screen?

Did this work to get the Universal Remote to play nice with the 1120? I also have the URC and am going to be installing an 1120 and my installer says it won't work seamlessly, as I want it to. I'd like to not have to press more than one button to get the URC to properly operate / change between DVD & directv.

Anyone have any luck with this??
codexone's Avatar codexone 01:56 PM 08-23-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyAudio View Post

I verified my amazon.com purchase from March. I have 4X Mediabridge Ultra Series 10ft high speed HDMI cables. It says category2 certified on the listing.

Okay, then it should definitely support ARC. I don't have a Panasonic (I have a Samsung PN63C7000) so I can't help you further. Sorry.
ccotenj's Avatar ccotenj 01:56 PM 08-23-2010
^^^

which urc remote? if it's a mx series (the only ones i'm familiar with), if it's correctly coded, this should be a non-issue...
Paperboy2003's Avatar Paperboy2003 02:12 PM 08-23-2010
Quote:

^^^

which urc remote? if it's a mx series (the only ones i'm familiar with), if it's correctly coded, this should be a non-issue...

MX-980.....any pointers I can share with an installer who doesn't think it will work properly? He seems to think it will turn off the AVR when I switch inputs, or basically won't work as it currently is set up with my onkyo 608.

Basically, I want it to do two main functions :

1) I'll have to run my directv line from the D* box straight to the TV and run an optical to the AVR. I'd like it to switch everything on/off with the main 980 on / off buttons
2)I'd like to be able to press the Blu -Ray button and have it switch inputs on the TV since the Blu-Ray will be run directly through the AVR.

It doesn't sound like it should be difficult, but my installer seems to think that the VSX 31 would work with CI (Custom installer codes) and that the 1120 won't.

Thanks in advance for any help!!
ccotenj's Avatar ccotenj 02:31 PM 08-23-2010
^^^

there's nothing there that shouldn't work... that's a really simple setup...

activity a:

discrete "on" to avr...
discrete "on" to tv...
command to avr to select input that is assigned to the d* optical input...
command to tv to select input that you are using for d* input...

activity b:

discrete "on" to avr...
discrete "on" to tv...
discrete "on" to bdp...
command to avr to select input that is assigned to bd hdmi input...
command to tv to select input from the avr...

there's absolutely no reason why this shouldn't work...
Paperboy2003's Avatar Paperboy2003 02:32 PM 08-23-2010
Quote:

^^^

there's nothing there that shouldn't work... that's a really simple setup...

activity a:

discrete "on" to avr...
discrete "on" to tv...
command to avr to select input that is assigned to the d* optical input...
command to tv to select input that you are using for d* input...

activity b:

discrete "on" to avr...
discrete "on" to tv...
discrete "on" to bdp...
command to avr to select input that is assigned to bd hdmi input...
command to tv to select input from the avr...

there's absolutely no reason why this shouldn't work...

Thanks so much!
ccotenj's Avatar ccotenj 02:37 PM 08-23-2010
^^^

you are welcome...
CincyNick's Avatar CincyNick 02:40 PM 08-23-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelclouds View Post

I received my unit just a while ago. Still not unboxed it. Will probably be doing it this weekend. Will update mine too.

Alright, I've dialed in my subs and ran MCACC...and I'm really happy. I still have some tweaking to do in custom MCACC, but everything is running very smooth right now.

Dialog is more crisp and easier to hear when compared to my own calibration on my VSX-1014, and the bass is more prominent. With MCACC on, I prefer ALL CH ADJ over Symmetry and Front Align. I still have not used any of the THX modes yet (I didn't notice much of a different on my 1014) but I'm going to try them out and see if the difference is more noticeable using the 1120.

I have video conversion off for my BD player (Pioneer BDP-51FD), but I'm still messing around with the settings to see if I can get my non-anamorphic star wars DVD's to look any better. I'm using conversion for our cable box, and I think it has cleaned up the image a bit (could be the placebo effect). Does anyone have any setting they have found useful on video? I'm also going to leave conversion on when I watch netflix via the PS3. I'm still up in the air on my Tosh HD-A2. It outputs a max res of 1080i, but I'm wondering if I should just leave the conversion to my Kuro (KRP-500M).

The iPod/iPhone interface is great. I haven't got it to read my old Zen Vision M yet...but I'm working on it.

If anyone is on the fence, I would not hesitate to purchase the 1120. Tons of features, runs crazy cool, and I feel MCACC is perfect for people who want/need a starting point but still want to tweak a bit.
JStew's Avatar JStew 02:55 PM 08-23-2010
Quote:

My parents just recently purchased one of these through BB but after about 2weeks they felt it was just too complicated for them (a full AVR). You know simple things like turning it on/off and setting inputs or in my fathers terms "your mother keeps screwing it up"..Sure Dad . To get to the point, they were set to return it but when i looked at what they paid with discounts for buying other items (TV/Tivo/Comcast HD/Harmony remote) it was well so right i couldnt pass it up. So, i offerred to buy them a Panasonic bluray HTIB (this was their 1st preference) and would keep the 1120.

The sound/video scaling is quite impressive from this unit. I will have to admit its probably on par in video performance as my denon 4810. I plan on hooking it up to my PJ (FPJ1) over the weekend to get a taste of its performance on a larger screen. In my opinion allowing the scaling/conversion of all signal types is a ++++. This was a feature i felt that the 27 should have had at its price point. It mimics in a lot of ways its elite siblings (I owned a SC-27 at one point during the Magnolia sale fest) in overall characteristics. I was so impressed with what this unit could do that I relegated my trusty 3310 to bedroom duties and moved this into family room. It a lovely match to my pioneer 141 .

I'm curious as to which app control you're trying to get. If you've downloaded the app and can see the four boxes (Control/Precision/Emphasis/Balance). you should be able to control it. Your network connection seems to work well, so there shouldn't be a problem. Maybe removing and downloading the app again might help. I haven't had a bit of a problem with mine. Hope you can get yours to work also!
elvisahmed's Avatar elvisahmed 03:19 PM 08-23-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyNick View Post

Alright, I've dialed in my subs and ran MCACC...and I'm really happy. I still have some tweaking to do in custom MCACC, but everything is running very smooth right now.

Dialog is more crisp and easier to hear when compared to my own calibration on my VSX-1014, and the bass is more prominent. With MCACC on, I prefer ALL CH ADJ over Symmetry and Front Align. I still have not used any of the THX modes yet (I didn't notice much of a different on my 1014) but I'm going to try them out and see if the difference is more noticeable using the 1120.

I have video conversion off for my BD player (Pioneer BDP-51FD), but I'm still messing around with the settings to see if I can get my non-anamorphic star wars DVD's to look any better. I'm using conversion for our cable box, and I think it has cleaned up the image a bit (could be the placebo effect). Does anyone have any setting they have found useful on video? I'm also going to leave conversion on when I watch netflix via the PS3. I'm still up in the air on my Tosh HD-A2. It outputs a max res of 1080i, but I'm wondering if I should just leave the conversion to my Kuro (KRP-500M).

The iPod/iPhone interface is great. I haven't got it to read my old Zen Vision M yet...but I'm working on it.

If anyone is on the fence, I would not hesitate to purchase the 1120. Tons of features, runs crazy cool, and I feel MCACC is perfect for people who want/need a starting point but still want to tweak a bit.

While I don't have the Pio Display the 1080p24 Setting worked well for me while watching DVD via PS3 (I also used a Star Wars DVD to calibrate) for blu ray I prefer an untouched signal. For SDTV via Digital Cable. I like 1080P.
ccotenj's Avatar ccotenj 03:28 PM 08-23-2010
^^^

elvis, just as a heads up... if on certain dvd's, you get stuttering/tearing/etc., turn the 24p conversion in the avr off... poorly authored dvd's tend to cause problems when they are converted to 24p...
elvisahmed's Avatar elvisahmed 03:36 PM 08-23-2010
Thanks for the heads up ccotenj. I try to stay away from DVD's but sometime can't help it as We don't have Netflix up here and zip/rogers direct doesn't have some titles in Blu Ray.
ccotenj's Avatar ccotenj 03:40 PM 08-23-2010
^^^

yea but you have good beer and bacon...

i only really know this because it's been a topic of discussion in the oppo player thread... i haven't personally had the problem, but then again, we don't watch nearly as many movies as we used to...
mariob33's Avatar mariob33 04:37 PM 08-23-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStew View Post

I'm curious as to which app control you're trying to get. If you've downloaded the app and can see the four boxes (Control/Precision/Emphasis/Balance). you should be able to control it. Your network connection seems to work well, so there shouldn't be a problem. Maybe removing and downloading the app again might help. I haven't had a bit of a problem with mine. Hope you can get yours to work also!

It doesn't seem to find the 1120 on my network. I get that error upon loading the app. I can however use the web GUI with no issue. Do you know if your router is Dlna compliant? I may try removing the 1120 from the connected switch an run a wireless n bridge only..
JStew's Avatar JStew 05:35 PM 08-23-2010
Quote:

It doesn't seem to find the 1120 on my network. I get that error upon loading the app. I can however use the web GUI with no issue. Do you know if your router is Dlna compliant? I may try removing the 1120 from the connected switch an run a wireless n bridge only..

It isn't Dlna compliant. It's an old Actiontec that came from Verizon years ago.

I suppose you could try a bridge as long as you can take it back if it doesn't work. If you can get music via the network you should be able to use the IPod app. I think we're both overlooking something.
palehorse's Avatar palehorse 05:55 PM 08-23-2010
Quote:

Are you making sure you're on wifi with the iPhone, and not cellular? Do you have any other apps where the iPhone uses the WLAN? "Simplify", "Remote", and "Orb" are examples of other common LAN apps that you could use for testing.
gisbiz11's Avatar gisbiz11 06:04 PM 08-23-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisahmed View Post

From What I understood is that if the source is not 7.1 and you want to get 7.1 all the time for THX modes (correct me if I am wrong here) you have to select SBch Processing Manually The Navigation path is as follows:
Home>System Setup>Manual SP Setup>THX Audio Setting
and then make Sure SBch Prcoessing is selected as Manual
For other modes anything that shows PLXII or DTS Neo6 is playing 7.1. A good way to tell is when you go through the sound parameters the V.sb Option shouldn't show up which it should in case of 5.1 speaker setup.

Thanks Elvis. I ended up disconnecting all speakers except for the surround back and testing out the response with different surround modes. DPLIIx, DPLIIx w/THX and some other various modes work very well.

Now it's just a matter of messing around with them and choosing what suits us best.

Thanks again for the help here.

On a side note - when adding THX to DPLIIx it really widened the center, almost seeming to spread the sound amongst the front three channels for dialogue. The sound seems 'crisper' to me without the THX. I guess it all comes down to personal preference.
mariob33's Avatar mariob33 06:09 PM 08-23-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStew View Post

It isn't Dlna compliant. It's an old Actiontec that came from Verizon years ago.

I suppose you could try a bridge as long as you can take it back if it doesn't work. If you can get music via the network you should be able to use the IPod app. I think we're both overlooking something.

whoa .. Actiontec I have jingles of the old 9600 modems ringing in my ear..man that takes me back. Didnt they go open source a years back?

thanks for your suggestions..
I Got it working. I took the AV off of the switch and ran a wireless bridge from the 1120 to on of my 5GH AP and presto on she was. For some reason it didnt like the routing path from router-->switch1--->switch2--->1120. I also tested it direct to the router and also works.

Its a cool little app. Its pretty refined for what it does. I guess paired with the web gui it makes a nice complement for controlling an extra zone or 2. I will also say both the web ui and the app are far more refined and def less buggy than the denon UI. Man if they had combined both this thing would be a nice little control solution.

Do you know if the adaptor is worth looking into? Im wondering if this would allow pandora/slacker or other web stations to be streamed from a ipad to the 1120?

Thanks for all your help. Sometimes all it takes is a little stimuli .
mariob33's Avatar mariob33 06:11 PM 08-23-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse View Post

Are you making sure you're on wifi with the iPhone, and not cellular? Do you have any other apps where the iPhone uses the WLAN? "Simplify", "Remote", and "Orb" are examples of other common LAN apps that you could use for testing.

thanks for the reco. I got it figured out. One of the other members got me thinking a bit and bango got it.
elvisahmed's Avatar elvisahmed 06:12 PM 08-23-2010
Quote:

^^^

yea but you have good beer and bacon...

i only really know this because it's been a topic of discussion in the oppo player thread... i haven't personally had the problem, but then again, we don't watch nearly as many movies as we used to...

Ah well we don't have the same prices for Electronics here almost 30% premium on Pio Elite Products (we are almost at par)
not to mention the cooold weather. Gosh I wanna move back to California!
As for the Beer I miss my Ommegangs, Hennipin Rare Vos and the ridiculous prices we pay here for alcohol in general ( I guess that topic is better served at chowhound!)
CincyAudio's Avatar CincyAudio 06:30 PM 08-23-2010
Quote:

Okay, then it should definitely support ARC. I don't have a Panasonic (I have a Samsung PN63C7000) so I can't help you further. Sorry.

What setting should the receiver be at to receive the return audio from the TV?
First ... 17  18  19 20  21  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop