Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisahmed View Post

^^^^
pavochavo here goes:
ALC stands for Auto Level Control (The user manual is your friend if you have it in PDF and can use the search function
For adjusting bass I tried out various cross over frequencies and settled at 150HZ and after that used the trusty old Channel Level (CH Level or # 7 key on the remote) button to adjust the output on the SW. As with most mic based calibration systems the SW level is usually set lower than one would like (Audyssey and MCACC had same issues in my case)

Thanks partner! I appreciate the help and dumbing it down. I was planning on looking through the manual when I get home from work. (where I am now) I'll give these things a try and hopefully will result in better performance.

Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 5042 Old 08-30-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyAudio View Post

I can't seem to get Clear Channel stations to work with the internet radio feature of the 1120. Is there a way to take the "listen online" stream that pops up a flash player interface on your browser and add it to the "Internet Radio Setting" setting of the Pioneer 1120? I keep getting errors.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Besides Clear Channel stations, does anyone have a link of Internet radio url's that I can add to the 1120?
post #723 of 5042 Old 08-30-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyAudio View Post

Does anyone have any suggestions? Besides Clear Channel stations, does anyone have a link of Internet radio url's that I can add to the 1120?

There was this thread for the 1020 that was active some months ago. I haven't had a chance to look at the "The Stream Center" linked in the first post, but that might be a good place to start.
post #724 of 5042 Old 08-30-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm42398 View Post

Is this a good reviecer to run an xbox/PS3 through for playing games? I've heard some concerns about lag? Does anyone have experience with this?

I am not experiencing any lag issues with my XBOX 360.
post #725 of 5042 Old 08-30-2010, 03:57 PM

Liked: 11
Could somebody with a good understanding of how amplifiers work and specifically how the 1120k / VSX-32 amp is setup tell me something?

I've got a VSX-32 and got my left, right and center channel pre-amp outputs going to an external amp. However I have the Pioneer's internal amp powering my left and right surround speakers (dipole Paradigm Studio ADP590, 8 ohm). My setup is only 5.1 meaning the Pioneer's amp itself is only powering those two surround sound speakers.

Is the circuitry in the Pioneer amp a 'shared' design, where because it doesn't need to power the additional 3 or 5 or even 7 speakers that the typical person would be connecting to it, it will have more power to deducate to my surrounds? I'm hoping the pioneer amp will be cruising easy when driving those to the sound levels needed to keep up with my amp. I'm especially concerned about 'extended surround' (aka all channel stereo) mode where all 5 channels are played at roughly equal volumes using a stereo signal. I'm concerned that I could have things turned up pretty loud and not hear my surround speakers clipping due to a lack of amplifier headroom because my L/R/C will still be playing clean with the 250-300 WPC RMS amp powering them.

My first inclination is to say it's not a shared design in the Pioneer because the manual mentions the possibility of bi-amplifying the main L/R speakers. It seems like that would be somewhat pointless to do if it were shared amp circuitry.

I do have the option of using the 4th and 5th channel on my amp to power the surround speakers, but I was, instead, wanting to use those for the Zone 2 output for my 'whole house' audio system.
post #726 of 5042 Old 08-30-2010, 04:06 PM

Liked: 11
By the way, so far my VSX-32 seems like a big improvement from my Emotiva UMC-1. Especially in terms of consistency and general bugginess. The VSX-32 hasn't experienced even a single glitch yet. It always does what I tell it to when I tell it to without dropped audio, cutting off the beginning of the audio after silence, failing to 'handshake' properly, failing to shut down when told to, etc. It's nice.

Also the MCACC room correction feature is actually very much worth using. I did some before and after comparisons and the difference was impressive. Emo-Q on the UMC-1 gave me such crazy results that they were useless. People were saying they were a good 'baseline' to start tuning from, but so many of the stats were just so off base that I didn't even trust the stats that were more normal.

The VSX-32 does have two big downfalls, though.

#1 - There's no on screen graphics at all unless you're tweaking with MCACC, EQ, network, trigger, etc. Basically when you're messing with smaller and simpler things like volume level, input, surround mode, video processing mode, etc... you have to look at the front of the receiver to see what's going on (if you can't tell just by watching or listening).
Maybe there's some way to fix this? I can understand this stuff not showing up when in video pass through mode. But if I'm using the video processor then why not?

#2 - There does not appear to be any form of sub EQ. The VSX-32 does have a cross over setting for the sub and speakers, but it's universal for the sub and all speakers set to 'small'. It also has the option to send the cut off bass from the 7 channels to the sub (this is the default setting) or not, and also an option to 'sum' the bass and play the LFE channel in all of your speakers set to 'large'. 'Advanced MCACC' does not touch the sub's EQ at all as far as I can tell. It does use the sub when it's running the auto setup, but when I look at the results the sub is only mentioned in the distance settings... not in the EQ or standing wave tests or anything else. I'm surprised by that fact. Any thoughts as to why they didn't add that feature?
post #727 of 5042 Old 08-30-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p4spooky View Post

I am in the same boat. I have DISH Vip722 DVR. With HDMI Control on, Samsung Blu-Ray player works in standby mode but not the DVR. Also my HTPC with a ATI 5770 video card is also NOT recognized.

Researching this, I think it has something to do with HDMI CEC compatible signal. If I turn off this feature in Blu ray player, the HDMI standy passthrough does not work.

Anyone having the same issue with a Dish DVR?

Yup, I have the same issue. I have a 722K and a VSX-32. Asking the question on the DBS Talk forum I got an answer that Pioneer only recognizes CEC compliant HDMI connections, which the 722 is not. Evidently Yamaha, Denon and the newest Onkyo will pass any HDMI signal, but not Pioneer.
post #728 of 5042 Old 08-31-2010, 02:04 AM

I have had this unit for 3 weeks now, to no avail. It just does not sound remotely good. Compared to my nine (9) year old Yamaha RX-V1300, the new Pioneer sounds like a cheap boom-box. I am truly disapointed with it! Will be buying a new Yamaha in the very near future! Maybe a person's audible taste get acclimated to a certain sound and can not adjust to a different sound. Maybe, I got a lemon unit, who knows!

Regards,

mike28086
post #729 of 5042 Old 08-31-2010, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike28086 View Post

I have had this unit for 3 weeks now, to no avail. It just does not sound remotely good. Compared to my nine (9) year old Yamaha RX-V1300, the new Pioneer sounds like a cheap boom-box. I am truly disapointed with it! Will be buying a new Yamaha in the very near future! Maybe a person's audible taste get acclimated to a certain sound and can not adjust to a different sound.

Regards,

mike28086

Is this with or without MCACC run? Hate to say it, but you should not hear much of a difference amongst receivers once callibrated.

Are you using a different listening mode (ie thx vs non thx)?
post #730 of 5042 Old 08-31-2010, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threxx View Post

By the way, so far my VSX-32 seems like a big improvement from my Emotiva UMC-1. Especially in terms of consistency and general bugginess. The VSX-32 hasn't experienced even a single glitch yet. It always does what I tell it to when I tell it to without dropped audio, cutting off the beginning of the audio after silence, failing to 'handshake' properly, failing to shut down when told to, etc. It's nice.

Also the MCACC room correction feature is actually very much worth using. I did some before and after comparisons and the difference was impressive. Emo-Q on the UMC-1 gave me such crazy results that they were useless. People were saying they were a good 'baseline' to start tuning from, but so many of the stats were just so off base that I didn't even trust the stats that were more normal.

The VSX-32 does have two big downfalls, though.

#1 - There's no on screen graphics at all unless you're tweaking with MCACC, EQ, network, trigger, etc. Basically when you're messing with smaller and simpler things like volume level, input, surround mode, video processing mode, etc... you have to look at the front of the receiver to see what's going on (if you can't tell just by watching or listening).
Maybe there's some way to fix this? I can understand this stuff not showing up when in video pass through mode. But if I'm using the video processor then why not?

#2 - There does not appear to be any form of sub EQ. The VSX-32 does have a cross over setting for the sub and speakers, but it's universal for the sub and all speakers set to 'small'. It also has the option to send the cut off bass from the 7 channels to the sub (this is the default setting) or not, and also an option to 'sum' the bass and play the LFE channel in all of your speakers set to 'large'. 'Advanced MCACC' does not touch the sub's EQ at all as far as I can tell. It does use the sub when it's running the auto setup, but when I look at the results the sub is only mentioned in the distance settings... not in the EQ or standing wave tests or anything else. I'm surprised by that fact. Any thoughts as to why they didn't add that feature?

In regards to the sub and MCAAC - here is a response from another Pioneer thread - I have a SC-07 in addition to this very capable inexpensive receiver and it manages bass in exactly the same manner.

Question: However the absolutely completely stupid aspect of MCACC is that it doesn't calibrate frequencies below about 63 Hz and it doesn't tell you up front it doesn't. It tells you to crank the subwoofer power and move the LPF point as high as possible in frequency, but it doesn't adjust the very low end, leaving a boom.

Response: It never has done anything with freqs below 63 hz. That's what makes it so attractive as a HT receiver. Get the Anti Mode, BFD, SMS-1, or any other sub EQ to handle the bass below 63 hz for the sub(s). If you want something that does control every aspect of freqs, get Audyssey. Believe me, I tried it and found the SQ way to sterile and really didn't like giving up control of the bass coming from the sub(s). Now that Audyssey has just come out with MultEQ XT32 some members report that it is too sterile in SQ and it sounds like the audio is coming thru a tin can. Be thankful for Pioneer and Air Studios letting you keep the bass control below 63 hz and you can tailor it to your own needs for bass.

Also if you go over to the first page of the SC-05/SC-07 thread there are some very helpful links to posts regarding how to help you dial in your sub. If you head over to the subwoofer forum the most agree you need a seperate EQ for proper bass management, even if you own a "high end" receiver.

My final thought - any receiver selling for around for what this one costs isn't going to do everything - some of the features that buyers expect are available, but are reserved for units costing substantially more than this one. Others give you Pandora, while this one gives you the ability to connect to just about any bluetooth enabled device and stream more than Pandora - what you value should be part of the buying decision. Now into week three of my ownership of this unit and I can say it continues to exceed my expectations, but it takes a substantial investment of time to get setup just right especially given how poorly different electronics (HDMI) play with each other - still tweaking on my end in regards to audio and video too.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; DefTech PM1000 Fronts, Ascend HTM-200s Top Middle and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
Atmos arrived on 9/30/2014
post #731 of 5042 Old 08-31-2010, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Quote:

I have had this unit for 3 weeks now, to no avail. It just does not sound remotely good. Compared to my nine (9) year old Yamaha RX-V1300, the new Pioneer sounds like a cheap boom-box. I am truly disapointed with it! Will be buying a new Yamaha in the very near future! Maybe a person's audible taste get acclimated to a certain sound and can not adjust to a different sound.

Regards,

mike28086

Kind of reminds me of a neighbor that went from a 10 year Honda Accord to a
brand new Audi A5. After a couple weeks of driving the Audi he wanted his Honda back.
You are just used to the sound of the old receiver. Your ears don't recognize
a different sound as being better when it likely is. Otherwise it just wasn't configured correctly.

Long time observer, always obsessed
post #732 of 5042 Old 08-31-2010, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
Quote:

Regards,

mike28086

Wow really? I actually had a denon 3310 in the room where the 1120 went and honestly didnt hear any noticable diff (and lets say i was no fan of previous generation pioneer units). Especially given that the 1120 was under 500. Maybe the cost/value proposition is making me hear no diference but unlikely. I just think this unit sounds pretty damn good, pioneer probably should be charging more.

In search of video bliss...
post #733 of 5042 Old 08-31-2010, 12:17 PM

Well I am happy to announce my new 1120 was ordered yesterday morning and shipped yesterday evening and looks to be delivered a day earlier than expected... TOMORROW!!
post #734 of 5042 Old 08-31-2010, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post

Wow really? I actually had a denon 3310 in the room where the 1120 went and honestly didnt hear any noticable diff (and lets say i was no fan of previous generation pioneer units). Especially given that the 1120 was under 500. Maybe the cost/value proposition is making me hear no diference but unlikely. I just think this unit sounds pretty damn good, pioneer probably should be charging more.

Well from what I read and have experienced in the past most good receivers should sound alike if calibrated properly. Apart from certain characteristics like Denon has Sterile sound compared to warmer sound on Pioneers I can't say lossless movie soundtracks sound any different as I am using the same set of speakers I am still tweaking the bass on my Pio and once I get it right I think it will sound pretty much the same as my Denon. I haven't bought very high end receivers and have usually stayed under the 1K range and have been equally impressed with the Pio Elite, Denon and Pioneer now. Unless you listen at a very loud level where one receiver might strain while the other one will not. But given the Power ratings on 1120 I doubt that would be an issues and can easily be rectified by buying an external amp. BTW has anyone figured out how much power does it actually output?
I saw the review for 1020 in a magazine yesterday and it says it outputs 76 watts with 5 channel driven which is very good (I think it was Sound and Vision or home theater mag)
post #735 of 5042 Old 08-31-2010, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just placed an order for an elite vsx-32! Got it shipped for close to the newegg price from a CA authorized dealer.
post #736 of 5042 Old 08-31-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:

Well from what I read and have experienced in the past most good receivers should sound alike if calibrated properly. Apart from certain characteristics like Denon has Sterile sound compared to warmer sound on Pioneers I can't say lossless movie soundtracks sound any different as I am using the same set of speakers I am still tweaking the bass on my Pio and once I get it right I think it will sound pretty much the same as my Denon. I haven't bought very high end receivers and have usually stayed under the 1K range and have been equally impressed with the Pio Elite, Denon and Pioneer now. Unless you listen at a very loud level where one receiver might strain while the other one will not. But given the Power ratings on 1120 I doubt that would be an issues and can easily be rectified by buying an external amp. BTW has anyone figured out how much power does it actually output?
I saw the review for 1020 in a magazine yesterday and it says it outputs 76 watts with 5 channel driven which is very good (I think it was Sound and Vision or home theater mag)

I am not so sure that the 1020 puts out 76 watts with 5 channels driven. I believe it has exactly the same amp as the previous vsx-1019 and that one tested out at 34.3 watts with 5 channels driven @ 1% distortion. That review was on line at hometheatermag.com from September 2009.

In any event, I may be interested in a local Southwestern Ontario supplier for the VSX-1120. I would be going from an Elite 74TXVI. Future Shop has the 1120 (they show it as a 1125) for the eyebrow raising thousand plus tax. Crazy pricing we have here.
post #737 of 5042 Old 08-31-2010, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorite View Post

I am not so sure that the 1020 puts out 76 watts with 5 channels driven. I believe it has exactly the same amp as the previous vsx-1019 and that one tested out at 34.3 watts with 5 channels driven @ 1% distortion. That review was on line at hometheatermag.com from September 2009.

In any event, I may be interested in a local Southwestern Ontario supplier for the VSX-1120. I would be going from an Elite 74TXVI. Future Shop has the 1120 (they show it as a 1125) for the eyebrow raising thousand plus tax. Crazy pricing we have here.

Incorrect; has a very similar amp section to the VSX-21/23/9040/9140
post #738 of 5042 Old 08-31-2010, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

windsorite
I was surprised too by the numbers for 1020 in the review I will try and recal which magazine it was (S&V or HTM) so I am curious about the real output from the 1120 not that it really matters in my case I live in a condo now and have very efficient small speakers.
Yeah fellow canuck here and I agree the pricing here is ridiculous. If you check around you will be able to score an Elite under 1K.
post #739 of 5042 Old 08-31-2010, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

http://hometheatermag.com/receivers/...er/index4.html

Link to 1019 review above but numbers don't add up since they give it a top pick designation. I can't find a 1020 review in either publication.

Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; DefTech PM1000 Fronts, Ascend HTM-200s Top Middle and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
post #740 of 5042 Old 08-31-2010, 08:31 PM

Anyone else having issues with sound cutting out on 720p signals?

I set up my Scientific Atlanta 8300HD cable box to output each channel at its native broadcast resolution so that I could utilize the superior upscaling in the Pioneer. I just noticed though, that now I'm not getting any audio from the channels that are in 720p. The sound is fine if I let the cable box upscale the same channel to 1080i though... Weird! I'm using HDMI, so maybe that's a factor. Every minute or so, the sound will cut back in for a fraction of a second, but that's it.

I'm thinking I can remove 720p from the output options on the cable box, and hopefully it will bump up the resolution to 1080i. I don't know if it would even make a difference, visually, but I'd rather just leave it on 720p and let the Pio upscale it. Any suggestions? Ditch the HDMI?

Thanks,

Doug

Edit: Well, it looks like that problem was a fluke. I still don't know if it was a glitch with the receiver, or with the cable box, but it's been working fine on several occasions since.
post #741 of 5042 Old 08-31-2010, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

http://hometheatermag.com/receivers/...er/index4.html

Link to 1019 review above but numbers don't add up since they give it a top pick designation. I can't find a 1020 review in either publication.

I guess I will note down the magazine's name on my next trip to the book store. What were the rated numbers for the previous gen of 1120 equivalents? the 9140 or VSX 21 as I am assuming this unit is pretty close.
post #742 of 5042 Old 09-01-2010, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

Is this with or without MCACC run? Hate to say it, but you should not hear much of a difference amongst receivers once callibrated.

Are you using a different listening mode (ie thx vs non thx)?

I tried to adjust the sound both with and without MCACC turned on. I really hate the situation because I was looking forward to having a receiver with a lot of the features that this Pioneer unit has (all the HDMI connections, THX, etc...). I guess that I will set up my Samsung HL-61A750 to use its three (3) HDMI units for video switching, just no THX, network etc... .

Regards,

mike28086
post #743 of 5042 Old 09-01-2010, 12:49 AM

I received the receiver (no pun intended!) yesterday from J&R after they price matched the Newegg price. I connected my Klipsch HD-300 5.1 speakers through the 12 guage monoprice speaker wire to the receiver last night and ran auto MCACC. My subwoofer is connected through a 12 gauge RCA subwoofer cable (Monster) to the receiver. I had tested Avatar before running auto MCACC and after and the difference in sound was phenomenal. The sound quality was pretty amazing. I haven't connected my phone, I need to figure out if there is a way to connect the phone without purchasing the expensive bluetooth adapter. There are a few preset internet stations and there is also an option to add more internet radio stations (for reference the bit rate was 96 khz). The radio music quality is also pretty good!

I was able to hear all the little cool sound effects from my Bluray player, my Xbox360 and my PS3. I played Alan wake on the 360 and God of War 3 on the PS3. In Alan Wake the sound comes from either the front speaker or the rear speakers depending on which way you turn in the game world. The effect is awesome. HDMI switching is pretty fast too and the Marvell video processing chip is amazing. This is the same video processing chip that pioneer uses in its elite class of receivers and is supposedly better than the Faroujda chip Onkyo uses in its TX-NR708/808 receivers. The DVD upscaling was way better than my Samsung 5900 3D blu-ray player. The sound quality is pretty awesome too. It was nice to see 'Made in Malaysia' tag for a change too. I also played Monsters vs Aliens movie in 3D through my blu-ray player and I didn't see any lag whatsoever (compared to people who are seeing lag on the Onkyo when playing 3D movies/games).

I would recommend this receiver over the Onkyo TX-NR708 because both receivers pack the same features except the Pioneer doesn't get as hot as the Onkyo.
post #744 of 5042 Old 09-01-2010, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I tried to adjust the sound both with and without MCACC turned on. I really hate the situation because I was looking forward to having a receiver with a lot of the features that this Pioneer unit has (all the HDMI connections, THX, etc...). I guess that I will set up my Samsung HL-61A750 to use its three (3) HDMI units for video switching, just no THX, network etc... .

Regards,

mike28086

Mike, please publish your speaker settings. Something does not add up here.

How do you currently have bass managed?
post #745 of 5042 Old 09-01-2010, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Winston - if you need a place to store all this A/V equipment you are accumulating just let me know, I will be happy to pay the shipping
I had the 32 on order, but grew inpatient waiting and ordered the 1120 not seeing a difference x the triggers and warranty. Care to share the reason(s) for you purchase other than yet another receiver to test/review?

post #746 of 5042 Old 09-01-2010, 10:44 AM

On this receiver when talking about HDMI Control being on or off. Is this a setting per input or an "all" HDMI inputs setting?
post #747 of 5042 Old 09-01-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esfan_adam View Post

I just purchased the 1120 and am trying to decide what accessories I need along with it! A couple questions. If I wanted to connect my receiver to my wireless network what do I need. At first I was thinking I just needed a wireless USB adapter and I am now thinking it wold have to be a wireless adapter that connected into the ethernet port. What product do I need to accomplish the wireless connection? I am also considering purchasing the Pioneer AS-BT100 Bluetooth Adapter. To me both of these accessories seam like they would operate the exact same functions. Can one do something the other can't?

Thanks in advance!

You will need a wireless bridge if you cannot run an Ethernet cable from the AVR to a router connected to your cable modem (or your just your modem I it has a router built in)

However there have been issues with the network capabilities. I have been through 2 units, and have the same issue of the AVR showing up on the network and working and then just falling off and no longer accessible. Turning the unit off and them back on seems to reset the network connection but stops working again shortly thereafter.
post #748 of 5042 Old 09-01-2010, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

ironmagz
as far as I know the Control setting is for all HDMI inputs which is annoying to say the least
post #749 of 5042 Old 09-01-2010, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

ironmagz
as far as I know the Control setting is for all HDMI inputs which is annoying to say the least

This is a global setting

Long time observer, always obsessed
post #750 of 5042 Old 09-01-2010, 11:56 AM

Ok.. yeah I expected as much just that the parts in the manual that I did read about it didn't really clear it up for me.

Thanks
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page