post #91 of 5030 Old 07-21-2010, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by skooba View Post

so the only way to have on screen volume display is to own a pioneer kuro (or other pio tv)? am i understanding this right?

my understand is it was just an hdmi cec connection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 5030 Old 07-21-2010, 05:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

my understand is it was just an hdmi cec connection

what does that mean?
post #93 of 5030 Old 07-21-2010, 05:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skooba View Post

what does that mean?

HDMI CEC is Consumer Electronics Control, which lets devices connected by HDMI communicate with each other and control the other. Every company has it's own name for it (KURO Link from Pioneer, Bravia Syncfrom Sony, Anynet from Samsung, etc...) but they should work together. This would let you use your TV remote also turn on the Blu-ray/Receiver when needed, control the volume or playback on it, etc...

However, volume overlay shouldn't be handled by HDMI CEC, as that's not a control feature. If there is volume overlay in the 1120, that's a function of the Marvell chipset that is adding an OSD overlay to the signal when it's passed through the 1120. I imagine this OSD would remain even if HDMI CEC was disabled on one or both devices, as they shouldn't be related (my current AVR has an OSD and I disable HDMI CEC on it).

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, www.hometheaterhifi.com
Displays Editor, AnandTech.com
Contributor, HDGuru.com and Wirecutter.com
ISF Level II Certified Calibrator, ReferenceHomeTheater.com
post #94 of 5030 Old 07-21-2010, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackrabbit View Post

If there is volume overlay in the 1120, that's a function of the Marvell chipset that is adding an OSD overlay to the signal when it's passed through the 1120.

What happens with the osd for volume, is it uses the pioneer tv's volume osd....it dosnt get the osd from the reciever.
post #95 of 5030 Old 07-21-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

As soon as Robert from Value Electronics gets his first shipment of 1120s in im placing my order. Cant wait to replace my old Onkyo Reciever that recently has been shutting off during loud scenes of a movie. Its had its go for 4 years but its days are numbered. I hope the 1120 is everything that its suppose to be! Im confident it will. This will be my first step to making my home theater 3D. In about two years, or until Panasonic gets Kuro like blacks, im gonna splurge on a 65in.

Would you mind sharing the quote he gave you for this receiver?
post #96 of 5030 Old 07-21-2010, 07:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:

HDMI CEC is Consumer Electronics Control, which lets devices connected by HDMI communicate with each other and control the other. Every company has it's own name for it (KURO Link from Pioneer, Bravia Syncfrom Sony, Anynet from Samsung, etc...) but they should work together. This would let you use your TV remote also turn on the Blu-ray/Receiver when needed, control the volume or playback on it, etc...

However, volume overlay shouldn't be handled by HDMI CEC, as that's not a control feature. If there is volume overlay in the 1120, that's a function of the Marvell chipset that is adding an OSD overlay to the signal when it's passed through the 1120. I imagine this OSD would remain even if HDMI CEC was disabled on one or both devices, as they shouldn't be related (my current AVR has an OSD and I disable HDMI CEC on it).

not sure how it's implemented on the 1120 (haven't actually seen one in the wild yet), but in the past, the only way to get a volume overlay was to use kurolink...

it was likely implemented that way because pioneer has never mucked with the hdmi signal in the past... just passed it through...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #97 of 5030 Old 07-21-2010, 08:13 PM

I just ordered an 1120 tonight. I looked at the 1020, but I wanted pre-amp outs so I could still use my Adcom amps. I'm replacing an old Marantz receiver that's about 8-9 yrs. old. I'm looking forward to trying out the Pioneer iPhone app to control volume, etc.
post #98 of 5030 Old 07-21-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook11 View Post

Another update guys...I came from an onk, and audysey...I heard bad things about MCACC, but I have to say, there are many options. My vocals never sounded so good on my center channel. I am really glad I "downgraded" from my more expensive ONK. The video, and audio are much better on the Pioneer. This is truly a wonderful receiver. I am suprised at how inexpensive they are. Kudos to pioneer!

wow...good to hear dat...i cant wait to receive my receiverrrrrrrr

My First DIY Screen 120" Laminate Screen

Ongoing Build Thread Madras Talkies
post #99 of 5030 Old 07-22-2010, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apodaca View Post

Can someone tell me if you can do 9.1 either as is or with an external amplifier. A link to the manual would also be appreciated.

I'd like an answer to this as well. I know it can't do 9.1 as is as it only has 7 amps, but I was wondering if you can get 9.1 buy hooking up a 2 channel external amp. The manual is very vague, and I haven't heard from anyone who has actually done this.
post #100 of 5030 Old 07-22-2010, 03:05 PM

I bought mine on Buy.com last night. It was about $200 less than list price plus I get some Bing cashback. I'm upgrading from an Onkyo SR805, which has a better amplifier section, but I use two Crown 402Ds for my L/C/R and sub anyway, and I don't think my surrounds will suffer. Can't wait!
post #101 of 5030 Old 07-22-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrigavitch View Post
I'd like an answer to this as well. I know it can't do 9.1 as is as it only has 7 amps, but I was wondering if you can get 9.1 buy hooking up a 2 channel external amp. The manual is very vague, and I haven't heard from anyone who has actually done this.
I'm not planning a 9.1 setup but the manual and connections on the back certainly lead me to believe you could do it, without the need for an external amp. It has 9.1 inputs and you can make the second set of fronts either High or Wide. See attached.

I don't think anyone knows why the manual isn't available on Pioneer's site yet. It's annoying.

Greg

vsx1120k extract.pdf 139.1640625k . file
post #102 of 5030 Old 07-22-2010, 05:05 PM

My understanding has always been that the receiver will power 7 channels only, which means it can power one of the following sets in addition to the normal 5: front height, front wide or surround back speakers.
post #103 of 5030 Old 07-22-2010, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M Miller View Post

My understanding has always been that the receiver will power 7 channels only, which means it can power one of the following sets in addition to the normal 5: front height, front wide or surround back speakers.

True it only has 7 amps. I know with the 1020 you cannot power more than 7 channels simultaneously.
post #104 of 5030 Old 07-23-2010, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowersga View Post

I don't think anyone knows why the manual isn't available on Pioneer's site yet. It's annoying.
Greg

+1. Seems that some products had manuals online prior to the product, itself, shipping. The fact that they've printed the 1120 manual means they have the PDF somewhere.

I much prefer PDFs to paper manuals. Will have to run with VSX-32 manual for now.
post #105 of 5030 Old 07-23-2010, 08:54 AM

So the 1120 allows for LAN connection. I don't have an ethernet connection/outlet anywhere near the AV setup. But I do have an Apple Airport (Time Machine) beaming a wifi wave throughout the house.

What's my best connection solution? I hope to plug something into the 1120 that will allow it to connect to my wireless network just like my laptop does.

This may be an old topic that was worked out in another thread ages ago. Just point me to the thread and I'll take it from there.

A check of the 1020 thread indicates an item such as the TRENDnet wireless n gaming adapter is the trick:
http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Wirel...lp_edpp_ttl_ex
post #106 of 5030 Old 07-23-2010, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Got my shipping notice today... Woohoo!

Of those who have already received theirs, has anyone noticed any quirks or interesting issues with this receiver? What are your overall impressions?
post #107 of 5030 Old 07-23-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse View Post

Got my shipping notice today... Woohoo!

Of those who have already received theirs, has anyone noticed any quirks or interesting issues with this receiver? What are your overall impressions?

I am still waiting for the shipping notice from abt.com....
now i am getting tired of waiting..

post #108 of 5030 Old 07-23-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Phyz View Post

So the 1120 allows for LAN connection. I don't have an ethernet connection/outlet anywhere near the AV setup. But I do have an Apple Airport (Time Machine) beaming a wifi wave throughout the house.

What's my best connection solution? I hope to plug something into the 1120 that will allow it to connect to my wireless network just like my laptop does.

This may be an old topic that was worked out in another thread ages ago. Just point me to the thread and I'll take it from there.

A check of the 1020 thread indicates an item such as the TRENDnet wireless n gaming adapter is the trick:
http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Wirel...lp_edpp_ttl_ex

Yep, that Wireless N adapter should work just fine.
post #109 of 5030 Old 07-23-2010, 09:06 PM

My 1120 shipped yesterday from Vann's. It's scheduled to arrive on 7/28...can't wait!
post #110 of 5030 Old 07-24-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M Miller View Post

Yep, that Wireless N adapter should work just fine.

Thanks, John.
post #111 of 5030 Old 07-24-2010, 05:48 PM

anyone can tell me Onkyo 708 is not a good receiver compare to Pioneer 1120 - and why?? my head is swingin like crazy....

post #112 of 5030 Old 07-24-2010, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

With apologies to Rob Reiner....

"Oh, it's set to eleven. That's one louder than 10."

I can't think of a more useless feature than a volume display on your panel. You still have to use your ears to determine where to set it! And if you use the volume as much as I do, all you do is wind up annoying other people watching.
post #113 of 5030 Old 07-24-2010, 10:33 PM

I have been looking at this receiver for a while now, but I am not sure what an upgrade will get me. I currently have Elite model VSX-82 and all my sources are HDMI going pass-through to calibrated 55 Sammy DLP. What will I gain (other than HD decoding) and what will I lose if I get this? Thanks.
post #114 of 5030 Old 07-25-2010, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniyar79 View Post

I have been looking at this receiver for a while now, but I am not sure what an upgrade will get me. I currently have Elite model VSX-82 and all my sources are HDMI going pass-through to calibrated 55 Sammy DLP. What will I gain (other than HD decoding) and what will I lose if I get this? Thanks.

Well 3D pass through (if you need it) and GUI for the Receiver (nothing special in my opinion after you have had the system setup and are not a big Ipod/internet radio user) and additional HDMI inputs (irrelevant if the current 3 suffice). I have my eyes on this one as I want to have a 3D setup soon and will retire my older Receiver for a dedicated Home Theater or sell it. I doubt the audio performance is any better as you do have an Elite now. Video upscaling in my opinion is a personal choice I mostly use HD sources and prefer as pure a signal as I can to my TV. Other I guess is height or width Dolby IIz (unimpressed from the Demo I heard) Unless you are itching for a new receiver I would take a pass.
post #115 of 5030 Old 07-25-2010, 09:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

big +1...

unless you are unhappy with your 82 (nice avr, i had one too), or there is feature that you "want/need" that you don't have today, there's no real tangible gain to be had...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #116 of 5030 Old 07-26-2010, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just cancelled my abt order - found the same price at buy.com thru amazon and was tired of waiting. should have it by week's end and will post a review and unboxed pics.
post #117 of 5030 Old 07-26-2010, 08:17 AM

I ended up purchasing from bhphotovideo.com , ok price and would ship to Canada.

Most of the retailers will not ship to Canada because we have higher MSRP prices and Manufacturers force the retailers not to ship. I don't think this is true for Pioneer, but Onkyo and Yamaha for sure.
post #118 of 5030 Old 07-26-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

Just cancelled my abt order - found the same price at buy.com thru amazon and was tired of waiting. should have it by week's end and will post a review and unboxed pics.

Can you PM me the link???

post #119 of 5030 Old 07-26-2010, 02:03 PM

Yikes.

I bought the 1120 and am waiting for its arrival later this week. I was checking out the VSX-32 manual and I see that the receiver only has impedance settings for 8 ohms and 6 ohms. I have PSB Goldi speakers which have a nominal and minimum impedance of 4 ohms while my center channel speaker is 6 ohms. I will use my Crown XLS-402d amp to power these guys, which goes down to 4 ohms with no problem.

Is it bad to run 4 ohm speakers at 6 ohms? Will there be any loss of quality? Is there any chance my Crown amp will have problems with 6 ohms?

I'm kicking myself for not looking into this before I bought.
post #120 of 5030 Old 07-26-2010, 02:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

- if your crown can deal with 4 ohm speakers, it most certainly can deal with 6 ohm speakers...

- if you are using external amplification for your speakers, the avr doesn't care one whit about the impedance of the speakers...

edit: fwiw, the impedance switch would have no affect at all on the avr's pre-outs... none...

- chris

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page