post #1711 of 5040 Old 10-30-2010, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Econoline View Post

Would the updates be available to the end user via the internet, or would the receiver have to be taken to a dealer for the update?

Will probably be officially by service center only, but hkan always posts the files and i have updated numerous pioneer receivers in the past without issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 5040 Old 10-30-2010, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

- Awful Internet radio functionality. If you have a favorite Internet radio station, you will have to look for the URL to input into the machine. If you cannot find it, then you're out of luck. Awful implementation of Internet radio. [I do plan to use internet radio. Is this really an issue or just requires initial setup?]

I love the internet radio feature. The sound is very good, even with low resolution radio stations (low mbps ~40'ish). There are limitations to the stations you can select--for example none that require a username/password. Then there are formats that are streamed that it can't decode. In the end, it probably leaves only a few thousand stations to listen to.

For me, the set up is easy and definitely wouldn't be called "awful". The amazon reviewer is being a little bit of a baby. What he is saying is no different than you need to know the radio station number to tune in a regular radio. I wouldn't loose sleep over the need to search for the URL.

Speaking of searching for URLs, there is also a thread with some good information on the stations that can be tuned in:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1247904

Again, I would heavily discount the critique of the internet radio. If you want a top notch implementation, get a squeeze box (or something like that) or the bluetooth adapter to stream from an iphone-like device. For just playing a station or two, it is great.

Quote:

- IPod integration requires a USB cable with video out. Why? This device is all digital, why require an analog video in? [Probably don't care]

I probably wouldn't care either. What you may care about (at least I do), is the cheap cover that hides the ports when not in use and the unfinished look you have if the cover is off and the white cable is hanging off of the front of the receiver. I'm sure there is a technical reason the video had to be separated out of the USB. If you want the "all digital" effect, get the bluetooth adapter.
post #1713 of 5040 Old 10-30-2010, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Probedude View Post

FWIW, I hooked up my Watt's Up meter to measure power consumption.
OFF in ECO mode, 5W.
OFF in Normal mode, 5W (expected a bigger difference)
ON, volume at -80dB, 58W

My Onkyo TX-SR573 that was an oven, when on and volume at the lowest would consume ~ 64 W.

The Onkyo gets hot, the 1120-K doesn't, yet both consume about the same power at the lowest setting. Odd.

Also, I did get HDMI passthrough to work, but I had to set the HDMI ECO mode to ON, which is opposite from what I've read.

keep in mind your onkyo did not have to power an hdmi board and a video processor!
post #1714 of 5040 Old 10-30-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

keep in mind your onkyo did not have to power an hdmi board and a video processor!

True, but power in has to go somewhere. There's no fan and the speakers were silent so the power has to be dissipated somewhere as heat. Must just not be localized to one place.

The construction of the 1120-K is odd. There's a LOT of PC boards at right angles to each other, electrical connections strung from one to the other with short lengths of wires, or small connectors - a LOT of connectors. Even the output transistors are mounted on a small PC board (less than 1/2" x 1/2", then solid wire connected to the main amp board. Not the cleanest layout.
post #1715 of 5040 Old 10-30-2010, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Can the 1120 accept DSD signals over HDMI? (Not that I'm all that crazy about the idea of buying a new HDMI-capable SACD player if I get this, but I'm actually considering it...mostly because I have some Amazon gift certificates.)

...and I need your sweet love, Latina T-Mobile girl!

post #1716 of 5040 Old 10-30-2010, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

your 1120 could have had a bad power supply, capacitor, or board that fried. Good news with issues like those is they tend to manifest themselves quite early on.

That said, make sure though you did not have any wires touching - even a stray copper thread. The receiver has a protect mode, but it's not fail-proof.

And I have had almost every CE disappoint me with a dud here and there.

I appreciate your help. I hooked back up my Denon AVR 987 and it worked perfectly. Very frustrating to wait a week and then that. I am still deciding what to do. I am thinking about spending a little more money on either the Denon AVR 3310 or a Yamaha RX-V1900. The 1120 did sound great but I don't think I will take another chance.

<><

RTR
post #1717 of 5040 Old 10-30-2010, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMAVADER View Post

I appreciate your help. I hooked back up my Denon AVR 987 and it worked perfectly. Very frustrating to wait a week and then that. I am still deciding what to do. I am thinking about spending a little more money on either the Denon AVR 3310 or a Yamaha RX-V1900. The 1120 did sound great but I don't think I will take another chance.

If this was a common problem, i would understand and do the same myself. However, I'm sure you're smart enough to realize that your situation was a total unique fluke, and not the norm, so why not just get it replaced and enjoy the 1120 like every other owner?
post #1718 of 5040 Old 10-30-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:

I received my 1120 Friday afternoon...I will be sending it back to J&R. It sounded great, really great but it started shutting off after a loud explosion.

Loud explosion from the receiver itself? Or a loud explosion from a movie you were watching?
post #1719 of 5040 Old 10-30-2010, 11:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Newegg has the BT100 adapter for $20 deal back! (till 11/3)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882117347
post #1720 of 5040 Old 10-30-2010, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Just wanted to post a few updates for anyone who might be wondering the status of the repairs on my 1120 (subwoofer pre-out failed).

First off, Squaretrade has been GREAT! They sent me the packing materials with pre-paid shipping, received the AVR, inspected it, repaired it, and then shipped it back to me.. All in less than 14 days!!

What was wrong? The failure was entirely USER ERROR. Somehow, when I was moving it from one shelf to another, I broke off the ring that sits on/around the subwoofer pre-out -- the tech was nice and explained that it's not an unusual occurrence with receivers if they get moved around with the cables plugged in (This is part where I slapped myself for being an idiot...)

All he had to do was re-solder the ring in place. He then went ahead and reinforced the solder on all of the other pre-outs as well (Bonus!)

So, I'm back in business.

In other news, I pulled the trigger on an Emotiva UPA-7 tonight!! I think it's safe to say that it's going to be a fun week...

You guys have no idea just how much I missed my 1120 while it was off in the shop... it was a very depressing (and QUIET!) couple of days. I'm just amazed at how fast they fixed it up, so once again, I have to give props to Squaretrade for taking care of me.

All is well with the world again.
post #1721 of 5040 Old 10-30-2010, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse View Post

I have to give props to Squaretrade for taking care of me.

That's great! So they take care of warranty even during the first year when it's covered by the Mfgr?! Cool!
What did the warranty cost you?

Can anyone recommend me a magnetic phono to line in adapter for the 1120-K?
Wife was surprisingly not upset when I mentioned what I paid for this receiver, but she did ask "So I'll finally be able to play my LP's?"
post #1722 of 5040 Old 10-30-2010, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExToker View Post

Hello out there drewh01 !

Just wanted to thank you on the suggestion of using the 'smart strip' for a 12v trigger. I finally got a chance to look into it tonight. Found a inexpensive 4 outlet variation on ebay for 15 bucks shipped.
I started thinking that would be pretty cool for equipment fan(s) to be plugged into also. Big bonus.
I then dug through a old box of chargers (I save way too much junk), and found a 12vdc supply for a old actiontec modem that burned up on me long ago.

Thanks again for the tip, should be good to go now.

Hey, great to know! Glad I can finally help someone out.
post #1723 of 5040 Old 10-31-2010, 12:34 AM

Quote:

Just wanted to post a few updates for anyone who might be wondering the status of the repairs on my 1120 (subwoofer pre-out failed).

First off, Squaretrade has been GREAT! They sent me the packing materials with pre-paid shipping, received the AVR, inspected it, repaired it, and then shipped it back to me.. All in less than 14 days!!

What was wrong? The failure was entirely USER ERROR. Somehow, when I was moving it from one shelf to another, I broke off the ring that sits on/around the subwoofer pre-out -- the tech was nice and explained that it's not an unusual occurrence with receivers if they get moved around with the cables plugged in (This is part where I slapped myself for being an idiot...)

All he had to do was re-solder the ring in place. He then went ahead and reinforced the solder on all of the other pre-outs as well (Bonus!)

In other news, I pulled the trigger on an Emotiva UPA-7 tonight!! I think it's safe to say that it's going to be a fun week...

You guys have no idea just how much I missed my 1120 while it was off in the shop... it was a very depressing (and QUIET!) couple of days. I'm just amazed at how fast they fixed it up, so once again, I have to give props to Squaretrade for taking care of me.

Xmas comes early. Nice.
post #1724 of 5040 Old 10-31-2010, 02:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Hate to bring this back up but has their been any confirmation of which qdeo chip is in this avr?

I think their newest is G2?
post #1725 of 5040 Old 10-31-2010, 04:22 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:

You will love the love the UPA-7 its a great amp. Did you buy it from Emotiva Direct? If so you should make sure that you get a price adjustment next week when it goes on sale.
post #1726 of 5040 Old 10-31-2010, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Hello,
Well, after searching for a new receiver, it has led me to this thread in being interested in the Pioneer VSX-1120, and I see for the most part everyone is very satisfied with this receiver.

Wondering if some could give me a comparison with this receiver compared to a Yamaha RX-V 3900, I have the Yamaha RX-V2095, which has no HDMI inputs or outputs, which is why I'm looking for a new receiver, when shopping for a receiver, I could get this Pioneer 1120 very reasonably compared to the Yamaha RX-V 3900, I have to say I've been a Yamaha owner for 20 years, I have owned 5 of their receivers, have never had a single one go down, still using the RX-v 2095 that's 6 years old.

I have 2 set's of Klipsch RF-8's, one set in front, and one set in rear, Klipsch effect speakers in the front as well as the rear, I also have a Klipsch RSW-12 Sub, how would this receiver compare to the RX-V 3900 Yamaha?

For the price difference , I would go with the Pioneer 1120, but I sill love the Yamaha's, I swore I'd never buy nothing but a Yamaha, but I don't see paying more than double or tripple the price for not having so many options and not having 1.4 HDMI inputs and outputs that this 1120 has.

Also: How has everyone dealt with buying online? I buy a-lot from newegg, but I've read they are not a authorized dealer, so how does everyone handle the warranty stuff when buying from online vendors like this?

Much appreciate the info, would love to add this unit to my AV rack, thanks!
post #1727 of 5040 Old 10-31-2010, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterChad View Post

Hello,
Well, after searching for a new receiver, it has led me to this thread in being interested in the Pioneer VSX-1120, and I see for the most part everyone is very satisfied with this receiver.

Wondering if some could give me a comparison with this receiver compared to a Yamaha RX-V 3900, I have the Yamaha RX-V2095, which has no HDMI inputs or outputs, which is why I'm looking for a new receiver, when shopping for a receiver, I could get this Pioneer 1120 very reasonably compared to the Yamaha RX-V 3900, I have to say I've been a Yamaha owner for 20 years, I have owned 5 of their receivers, have never had a single one go down, still using the RX-v 2095 that's 6 years old.

I have 2 set's of Klipsch RF-8's, one set in front, and one set in rear, Klipsch effect speakers in the front as well as the rear, I also have a Klipsch RSW-12 Sub, how would this receiver compare to the RX-V 3900 Yamaha?

For the price difference , I would go with the Pioneer 1120, but I sill love the Yamaha's, I swore I'd never buy nothing but a Yamaha, but I don't see paying more than double or tripple the price for not having so many options and not having 1.4 HDMI inputs and outputs that this 1120 has.

Also: How has everyone dealt with buying online? I buy a-lot from newegg, but I've read they are not a authorized dealer, so how does everyone handle the warranty stuff when buying from online vendors like this?

Much appreciate the info, would love to add this unit to my AV rack, thanks!

If you call jr.com they will price match the newegg price and they are an authorized dealer. Amazon also has a great deal on pioneer which ends today!
post #1728 of 5040 Old 10-31-2010, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Probedude View Post

That's great! So they take care of warranty even during the first year when it's covered by the Mfgr?! Cool!
What did the warranty cost you?

Actually, I bought the 1120 when it first came out from a non-authorized dealer, so I don't have a manufacturers warranty. That's why I went with a Squaretrade warranty for $50, and thank God I did!

Squaretrade frequently has deals for 20-30% off on their warranties. Mine, at $50, was 30% off.

The coolest aspect of their warranty is that if they can't repair it in five days, or less, they usually refund the entire purchase price. In my case, the actual repair only took two days once they had it, and they shipped it right back out at no cost to me.
post #1729 of 5040 Old 10-31-2010, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewh01 View Post

Xmas comes early. Nice.

Think my wife will notice it in the credenza? LOL!
post #1730 of 5040 Old 10-31-2010, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdperry View Post

You will love the UPA-7 its a great amp. Did you buy it from Emotiva Direct? If so you should make sure that you get a price adjustment next week when it goes on sale.

Actually, I snagged in on Audiogon for $540.75, shipped, with more than four years left on the warranty.
post #1731 of 5040 Old 10-31-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:

Think my wife will notice it in the credenza? LOL!

Yes, definitely yes. :-)
post #1732 of 5040 Old 10-31-2010, 09:36 AM

Just got the receiver replacing an Onkyo 605. My 5.1 Polk speakers are connected "the Polk way" where sub is not ran from LFE output but wired to front speakers. Going to tweak the configurations today, so far not getting much bass. What default speaker setup should I use? Can I run the auto MCACC setup or must I manually configure? All input is appreciated.
post #1733 of 5040 Old 10-31-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:

- Awful Internet radio functionality. If you have a favorite Internet radio station, you will have to look for the URL to input into the machine. If you cannot find it, then you're out of luck. Awful implementation of Internet radio. [I do plan to use internet radio. Is this really an issue or just requires initial setup?]

FWIW, I love the internet radio on this unit.

Sure there is an initial setup consisting of copying and pasting url's into the web portal of the receiver, and naming them, 24 times if you want to have all 24 presets loaded up. Once they are initially loaded it is great, just use the remote or web portal to change stations. And they do sound great on the 1120. I think you would love it!

I have not had a favorite station that I wanted to find the URL for but I found many times more than enough stations to fill it up, and enjoy them all.
post #1734 of 5040 Old 10-31-2010, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLC1971law View Post

Just got the receiver replacing an Onkyo 605. My 5.1 Polk speakers are connected "the Polk way" where sub is not ran from LFE output but wired to front speakers. Going to tweak the configurations today, so far not getting much bass. What default speaker setup should I use? Can I run the auto MCACC setup or must I manually configure? All input is appreciated.

make sure you have them set to LARGE and subwoofer to no
post #1735 of 5040 Old 10-31-2010, 12:25 PM

My ONKYO 606 finally died (the HDMI stopped working almost exactly on the date the warranty ran out - but that is another story). I am considering replacing it with the 1120 - which seems to have a very impressive feature set. One thing that I have gotten used to on the 606 is the fact that if the amplifier is off the HDMI signal from the default input is passed directly to the television. The TV in turn uses its own speakers. Is this the case with the 1120 as well?? Anything else I should know about?

Thanks - Danny
post #1736 of 5040 Old 10-31-2010, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurion View Post

My ONKYO 606 finally died (the HDMI stopped working almost exactly on the date the warranty ran out - but that is another story). I am considering replacing it with the 1120 - which seems to have a very impressive feature set. One thing that I have gotten used to on the 606 is the fact that if the amplifier is off the HDMI signal from the default input is passed directly to the television. The TV in turn uses its own speakers. Is this the case with the 1120 as well?? Anything else I should know about?

Thanks - Danny

Yes, the 1120 has HDMI passthrough in standby mode.
post #1737 of 5040 Old 10-31-2010, 12:46 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:

Actually, I snagged in on Audiogon for $540.75, shipped, with more than four years left on the warranty.

Great Price I know you will enjoy it. I have a Emotiva IPS-1 hooked up up right now. I will say that the 1120 holds it own up to really loud levels.
post #1738 of 5040 Old 10-31-2010, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have noticed the 1120 has some form of intelligence in respects its responsiveness to IR signals. If you have the receiver connected via a mono cable to an IR repeater, it will respond to the IR repeater provided you turn it on via this method. If you power it on with a direct signal to the IR eye on the front panel, it will then respond to the front panel. Some devices shut down the front IR eye when it's connected via the rear port; the 1120 does not do this, but which controls it depends on which route powers it on if that makes any sense.

I learned this hard way when my wife opened the cabinet to put in a bd and power on the receiver. It was then unresponsive to the hidden IR system I use until I powered it off and then powered it back on via the IR system.

Just a note for folks who might think it's not working properly.
post #1739 of 5040 Old 10-31-2010, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There are going to be duds out there - and you will see more dud posts reported here than "hey, mine worked like a charm" posts. From memory, you are one of the few that had a defective unit.

If your retailer is standing by it, what do you have to lose by trying another one?
post #1740 of 5040 Old 10-31-2010, 01:48 PM

I just received my 1120 the other day, and the inner geek in me had to do what I could to utilize the LAN port. After playing around with, what is in my opinion, a horrible web gui, I decided to try and write a standalone windows app(C#) that can control my 1120.

It is still VERY unpolished , but I just about have a basic working GUI that can control the volume through a slider bar. I also plan on learning some android and writing a similar app for my phone.

My question is, is there any public interest in this? I'm hoping by the end of the day to get a version that would work with out hardcoded settings. I start a new job next week, but I'm going to devote a large portion of my last week of unemployment towards adding functionality. I could use some feedback, any takers? So far the source is open and can be found at http://github.com/fiveohhh/MarleyController
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page