Pioneer VSX-1120 TXH HDMI V1.4 Receiver Owners' Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 5040 Old 07-30-2010, 03:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
ccotenj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: the toxic waste dumps of new jersey
Posts: 21,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 90
[quote=BAMAVADER;18978915][quote=ccotenj;18978191]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMAVADER View Post


couldn't have said it any...


lol...

sadly, what is in my brain doesn't always make it to the keyboard when i type... need to get better at that...

- chris

 

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

 

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

ccotenj is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 5040 Old 07-30-2010, 05:45 AM
Gib
Member
 
Gib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Mendham, NJ
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can any owners with zone 2 set up comment on which sources can be played on zone 2? Specifically can audio from hdmi sources be output to zone 2 or just analog? How about Internet radio?
Gib is offline  
post #183 of 5040 Old 07-30-2010, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Mine arrived this morning and plan on setting up this evening. Will be putting it through the paces and compare it to the denon avr891.
winston9332 is offline  
post #184 of 5040 Old 07-30-2010, 03:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
ccotenj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: the toxic waste dumps of new jersey
Posts: 21,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 90
^^^

c'mon man, you've had 3 hours and 15 minutes! let's have some feedback...

- chris

 

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

 

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

ccotenj is offline  
post #185 of 5040 Old 07-30-2010, 05:05 PM
Senior Member
 
sathyakamaraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: H Town TX
Posts: 498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

c'mon man, you've had 3 hours and 15 minutes! let's have some feedback...

lol...
finally op received the item..i still didnt give up on abt dealer

My First DIY Screen 120" Laminate Screen

Ongoing Build Thread Madras Talkies
sathyakamaraj is offline  
post #186 of 5040 Old 07-30-2010, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

c'mon man, you've had 3 hours and 15 minutes! let's have some feedback...

without getting everyone riled up...might just be the best $600 purchase on the market. hello qdeo, goodbye abt!
winston9332 is offline  
post #187 of 5040 Old 07-30-2010, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
oh, and let's just say this receiver is the first time since my onkyo tx nr906 my wife has yelled at me twice within ten minutes to turn it down! always a good sign!
winston9332 is offline  
post #188 of 5040 Old 07-30-2010, 07:35 PM
Senior Member
 
sathyakamaraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: H Town TX
Posts: 498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

oh, and let's just say this receiver is the first time since my onkyo tx nr906 my wife has yelled at me twice within ten minutes to turn it down! always a good sign!

Kewlllllllllllllllllll.....good to hear dat..btw what speaker setup u r driving with this receiver..

My First DIY Screen 120" Laminate Screen

Ongoing Build Thread Madras Talkies
sathyakamaraj is offline  
post #189 of 5040 Old 07-30-2010, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyakamaraj View Post

Kewlllllllllllllllllll.....good to hear dat..btw what speaker setup u r driving with this receiver..

at the moment it's in my daughter's playroom (which doubles as my primary viewing these days). All in wall or ceiling speakers (infinity and higher end polks). Velodyne sub.

Very impressed by this receiver thus far.
winston9332 is offline  
post #190 of 5040 Old 07-30-2010, 09:43 PM
Senior Member
 
sathyakamaraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: H Town TX
Posts: 498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
One more question:
I am planning to keep this receiver for atleast 2 years....so i need to do the wiring for Zone 2.

My Main TV will be in the living room, Second TV will be in my masterbed room..These two tv's will be on front/rear of the wall - i think you can imagine..

Now : If i use HDMI Splitter from the Zone 1 setup ...Can I connect the Video using that and Use Zone 2 Speaker setup for Audio...???
is it possible..

My First DIY Screen 120" Laminate Screen

Ongoing Build Thread Madras Talkies
sathyakamaraj is offline  
post #191 of 5040 Old 07-31-2010, 04:43 AM
Newbie
 
Getsmartsvc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Spent 4 hours last night staring at this beautiful thing in silence.

I can not get any sound from any speaker from any source. I am close to surrendering to the fact I may of a DOA but thought I would ask a few here.

Mirage om-10 fronts
Mirage om-c2-1 center
Mirage omni sat surrounds ( new)

Tried:
Internet radio
iPod
TV
Directv rcvr

In every case I can see the OSD show the source is playing, but no sound. Not even slight.
Getsmartsvc is offline  
post #192 of 5040 Old 07-31-2010, 05:40 AM
Newbie
 
Getsmartsvc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
False alarm, problem Solved.
Getsmartsvc is offline  
post #193 of 5040 Old 07-31-2010, 10:20 AM
Member
 
BLACK_HAL0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been lurking around these forums for a bit now collecting knowledge. I ended up getting the Pioneer VSX-1120, which replaced an older Harman/Kardon AVR40. With my set up, it sounds great!

Anyways, one of the cool features I liked was the Internet Radio option, a buddy runs a station I enjoy listening to (theedge101.com if your interested). My setup uses a wireless bridge rather than a direct connection to a router/cable modem.

When I first got it all set up, I kept getting a connection error. After some messing around in the router and bridge, I figured I just swap out the cable. Seemed that fixed the first issue. Could connect and listen to music, and iPhone app worked.

However after messing around listening to the other stations, and connecting via my PC in the office, the music would suddenly stop. Seems as though the Pioneer isnt holding its connection very well. It is plugged into the same bridge as my PS3 which has no problems holding a connection. In order to get the Internet connection back, I have to turn the unit off and back on, that seems to work.

Has anyone else had similar issues with a direct wired connection to a router? Im going to see if assigning the Pioneer a static IP fixes anything. Was curious if it is the Pioneer itself, or my setup.
BLACK_HAL0 is offline  
post #194 of 5040 Old 07-31-2010, 10:36 AM
Newbie
 
Dave_WI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[quote=ccotenj;18976526]- yes, only when pliiz is engaged... there's no sources encoded with them...

Chris,

Thanks for weighing in. I have another question re height/wide speakers for you or anyone else who may be using them: in a typical music or movie application, what exactly comes through the height channel? Is it full range audio-wise or limited? The reason I ask is that my low ceiling would allow room for a pair of those small satellite - type speakers if a mid/high signal was good enough. However, if full range is required to get the desired effect them I'm probably short on space.

Re the Marvell chip: I second what was mentioned earlier about the high quality of the video output. I've played standard DVDs on both my Toshiba HD-DVD and my Samsung Blu-ray players and, to my eyes, both had improved clarity and definition when patched through the 1120's hdmi than when previously plugged directly into the screen. And I don't think it's my idealistic imagination playing tricks on me. This thing looks and sounds wonderful!


Dave
Dave_WI is offline  
post #195 of 5040 Old 07-31-2010, 10:50 AM
Newbie
 
islandfever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know if the Pioneer VSX-1120 receiver and Martin Logan Source speakers would be a good match?
islandfever is offline  
post #196 of 5040 Old 08-01-2010, 05:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
ccotenj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: the toxic waste dumps of new jersey
Posts: 21,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 90
@dave_wi...

you are welcome...

i'm not a "height/wide" expert, but here's my "somewhat thought out opinion"...

- as you'd be crossing them over, full range wouldn't be necessary...

- in the setups i've listened to, the effect is subtle... too subtle for me to even consider trying it... ymmv on that, as my "usage" is probably 60% 2 channel listening, 35% tv and 5% movies...

- imo, and only imo, unless you have a dedicated movie room or an otherwise well setup system, there are other directions head in terms of "improving sound"...

ymmv...

- chris

 

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

 

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

ccotenj is offline  
post #197 of 5040 Old 08-01-2010, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandfever View Post

Does anyone know if the Pioneer VSX-1120 receiver and Martin Logan Source speakers would be a good match?

i believe the mls drop to 5ohms, but are pretty efficient (90db). the low ohms would be taxing on the 1120 and most other mid-range speakers.

that said, the 1120 is well-suited for a 2-5 channel amp to really push those bad boys.
winston9332 is offline  
post #198 of 5040 Old 08-01-2010, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

@dave_wi...

you are welcome...

i'm not a "height/wide" expert, but here's my "somewhat thought out opinion"...

- as you'd be crossing them over, full range wouldn't be necessary...

- in the setups i've listened to, the effect is subtle... too subtle for me to even consider trying it... ymmv on that, as my "usage" is probably 60% 2 channel listening, 35% tv and 5% movies...

- imo, and only imo, unless you have a dedicated movie room or an otherwise well setup system, there are other directions head in terms of "improving sound"...

ymmv...

I would agree that the presence speakers only offer incremental value when the material is appropriate. i currently have a wide room and height room. i tend to think the wide offers more real-world dimension. i also prefer pioneer's mcacc driven wide to audyssey's dsx.

keep in mind the center and fronts are probably 90% of your source speakers for most content.
winston9332 is offline  
post #199 of 5040 Old 08-01-2010, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyakamaraj View Post

One more question:
I am planning to keep this receiver for atleast 2 years....so i need to do the wiring for Zone 2.

My Main TV will be in the living room, Second TV will be in my masterbed room..These two tv's will be on front/rear of the wall - i think you can imagine..

Now : If i use HDMI Splitter from the Zone 1 setup ...Can I connect the Video using that and Use Zone 2 Speaker setup for Audio...???
is it possible..

if i understand what you're describing, you could use your splitter at the source or downstream of the 1120 and connect both displays. be careful of hdmi handshake gremlins. monoprices splitters work well and are cheap. also note that primary display video might suffer. also note that long hdmi runs (>20ft) might need to be amped or you'll get sparkles.
winston9332 is offline  
post #200 of 5040 Old 08-01-2010, 09:07 AM
Member
 
BLACK_HAL0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK_HAL0 View Post

I have been lurking around these forums for a bit now collecting knowledge. I ended up getting the Pioneer VSX-1120, which replaced an older Harman/Kardon AVR40. With my set up, it sounds great!

Anyways, one of the cool features I liked was the Internet Radio option, a buddy runs a station I enjoy listening to (theedge101.com if your interested). My setup uses a wireless bridge rather than a direct connection to a router/cable modem.

When I first got it all set up, I kept getting a connection error. After some messing around in the router and bridge, I figured I just swap out the cable. Seemed that fixed the first issue. Could connect and listen to music, and iPhone app worked.

However after messing around listening to the other stations, and connecting via my PC in the office, the music would suddenly stop. Seems as though the Pioneer isnt holding its connection very well. It is plugged into the same bridge as my PS3 which has no problems holding a connection. In order to get the Internet connection back, I have to turn the unit off and back on, that seems to work.

Has anyone else had similar issues with a direct wired connection to a router? Im going to see if assigning the Pioneer a static IP fixes anything. Was curious if it is the Pioneer itself, or my setup.

Well, I changed to a Static IP and swapped cables. The AVR appears on the network, and still seems to just "fall off".

Has anyone else hooked theirs up the network and had any problems?
BLACK_HAL0 is offline  
post #201 of 5040 Old 08-01-2010, 09:16 AM
Member
 
BLACK_HAL0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[quote=Dave_WI;18986058]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post


Re the Marvell chip: I second what was mentioned earlier about the high quality of the video output. I've played standard DVDs on both my Toshiba HD-DVD and my Samsung Blu-ray players and, to my eyes, both had improved clarity and definition when patched through the 1120's hdmi than when previously plugged directly into the screen. And I don't think it's my idealistic imagination playing tricks on me. This thing looks and sounds wonderful!


Dave

I would have to agree, HD programs do look better running through the Marvell Chipset rather than just having it go via HDMI from the cable box to the TV. SD/480p stuff, eh, I think my Wii looks a little fuzzy, a little "over processed" but I haven't played with the settings much. Probably can turn off the edge enhancement stuff on the Wii. Not sure if you can set the 1120 up per HDMI input as "PURE" or Processed (or whatever the term is) will look that up later today.
BLACK_HAL0 is offline  
post #202 of 5040 Old 08-01-2010, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
[quote=BLACK_HAL0;18989023]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_WI View Post


I would have to agree, HD programs do look better running through the Marvell Chipset rather than just having it go via HDMI from the cable box to the TV. SD/480p stuff, eh, I think my Wii looks a little fuzzy, a little "over processed" but I haven't played with the settings much. Probably can turn off the edge enhancement stuff on the Wii. Not sure if you can set the 1120 up per HDMI input as "PURE" or Processed (or whatever the term is) will look that up later today.

resolution and picture adjustments are per input, not global.
winston9332 is offline  
post #203 of 5040 Old 08-01-2010, 09:58 AM
Newbie
 
Dave_WI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Winston,

Though I appreciate opportunities at filling up my 15 minutes of fame, your inclusion of a quote attributed to me was actually that of Black Halo. I live in the country beyond the reach of cable, so cable boxes aren't really my "thing". What BH and I definitely have in common is our appreciation for the quality of the video via the Marvell chip, but I bow to his greater experience (I have none) with the likes of cable and Wii.

Cheers,

Dave
Dave_WI is offline  
post #204 of 5040 Old 08-01-2010, 03:35 PM
Member
 
John M Miller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[quote=BLACK_HAL0;18989023]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_WI View Post


I would have to agree, HD programs do look better running through the Marvell Chipset rather than just having it go via HDMI from the cable box to the TV. SD/480p stuff, eh, I think my Wii looks a little fuzzy, a little "over processed" but I haven't played with the settings much. Probably can turn off the edge enhancement stuff on the Wii. Not sure if you can set the 1120 up per HDMI input as "PURE" or Processed (or whatever the term is) will look that up later today.

I've tried the 1120 hooked up to both my HTPC and Xbox 360 and I would advise you to turn off the Marvell processing when you're playing video games. There's an ever-so-slight delay due to the processing. I can especially tell the difference when I use the mouse on the HTPC. I still keep it on with that source because it's for video, but it'll definitely have a negative impact on gameplay.
John M Miller is offline  
post #205 of 5040 Old 08-02-2010, 09:17 AM
Member
 
Kurtos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi

I want to buy this receiver only if it can output 9.1 channels (7.1 with the 1120 and 2 channels with the pre-outs at the same time) Is this possible?

Thanks in advance
Kurtos is offline  
post #206 of 5040 Old 08-02-2010, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
plissken99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 3,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm sure it is. I'm doing 9.1(front height), with an Emotiva XPA5 driving 5 channels.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Snake Plissken

 

plissken99 is offline  
post #207 of 5040 Old 08-02-2010, 11:36 AM
Member
 
Threxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Winston, your review on your website states that the VSX-32 lacks on on-screen display. Really? You mean everything I do has to be done using the little read out on the front of the receiver and not any sort of menu on the TV?
Threxx is offline  
post #208 of 5040 Old 08-02-2010, 11:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
ccotenj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: the toxic waste dumps of new jersey
Posts: 21,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 90
^^^

i would guess that he means "on screen display for volume"...

i haven't seen an avr in years that doesn't allow for the setup menus to be displayed on screen... heck, you don't even have to hook up a separate composite cable like you used to have to do...

- chris

 

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

 

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

ccotenj is offline  
post #209 of 5040 Old 08-02-2010, 02:13 PM
Member
 
drose1521's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone used the 1120 with directv to successfully watch 3d? Every time I try one of the 3d channels on directv, it says that the tv isn't 3d capable. I have no problem sending 3d through the 1120 from my blu-ray player to my Samsung UN55C7000. Is there a video or HDMI setting that could be confusing the directv receiver? Anyone else have this problem?
drose1521 is offline  
post #210 of 5040 Old 08-02-2010, 05:49 PM
Member
 
John M Miller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by plissken99 View Post

I'm sure it is. I'm doing 9.1(front height), with an Emotiva XPA5 driving 5 channels.

Really?!? The impression I got from the manual was that while you can hook up a 9.1 system, only 7.1 can be going at any time, regardless of external amplification. Can you verify that all ten speakers are working at the same time?

That would be awesome. I had given up on the thought of adding front height speakers.
John M Miller is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off