Looking for receiver to use with my HDMI Laptop - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-03-2010, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So basically i have a Acer 6920G laptop (uses HDMI) and a PS3 that i will like to connect to a Home Theater and my SAMSUNG LN46A550 HDTV which is mounted on the wall. My room is about 11x11, however that's only the measuring the entrance to the room, theres a wall next to the entrance and so the actual living size is 11x9. I would like to have something that will also stay with me for the day i move out of my dad's house and get something bigger, so i do not have to buy another one. I am looking for a receiver that i will be able to watch youtube videos, internet videos, watch my netflix movies from the netflix stream service, listen to internet radio, listen to my itunes music, etc... all from my laptop. i have an iphone aswell but if the receiver can do all of the above then i don't need one of the receivers that are iphone ready. as for ports i think 4 is enough but if i can get 6 HDMI ports for the same price or a few more bucks i wouldn't mind paying a little more seeing as i'll need 2 more for the day i get an HD camcorder and HD service from Cable/Sat provider.

My initial thought was to buy an HTiB for around $300-$500. and i was considering either the Onkyo HT-S3300 or HT-S5300. But after doing research and talking to some experts on the Amazon disscussions they advise me to get about $500 in speakers and a receiver between $300-$500.

While i understand that yes spending more will mean better system and lasts longer, i also cannot justify spending $800-$1000 at this point in time. i would like to own something for about 4-5 years because seeing as technology will continue to be obsolete after a couple of years i cannot justify spending $500 for a new receiver every 2-3 years. that will mean the cost to own is about $166 per year. That is too much, i want something that will cost about $60 per year to own while still being able to catch up with current new technology at the same time and not breaking the bank. i want something that is 3d ready so that i can be ready for the future when i decide to buy a 3DTV at a good value. My dad also says he has some speakers laying around that were expensive when they were given to him and i also have X-530 speakers that if i can hook up to a receiver than i can use that for the time being and then in a couple of years maybe buy a $500 speaker set.

Any help will gladly be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-03-2010, 03:19 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2115 Post(s)
Liked: 1775
The Denon 591BA includes the Denon AVR 591 (HDMI 1.4) and Boston Acoustics 5.1 speaker system which would fit into your budget quite nicely and likely last you awhile. As it's just due to be released this month whether your particular video card will work without issue is as yet unknown.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 7 Old 06-03-2010, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

The Denon 591BA includes the Denon AVR 591 (HDMI 1.4) and Boston Acoustics 5.1 speaker system which would fit into your budget quite nicely and likely last you awhile. As it's just due to be released this month whether your particular video card will work without issue is as yet unknown.

hmm i'll take it into consideration and i'll read up on reviews and customer opinions after is is released. my video card is a Geforce 9500M GS. are there any that have been confirmed to work with my video card and also what is your take on getting the S5300 instead. i was also thinking about maybe getting 7.1 or 7.2. i would not mind buying a set of 5.1 speakers for $500 because speakers are speakers and that will never change. And when more stuff is 7.1./7.2 i'll be ready and just spend another $100-$200 to upgrade to 7.1/7.2. i was also told if i spend $500ish in speakers they should last me 15-20 years. but the receiver will always be changing and i'm not too convinced as to weither i should buy a $300-$500 receiver if i will have to upgrade it like 4-5 years from now. then theres the issue of which receiver i should get. i'm torn between the SR508, SR608, and VSX-1020-K. i like the SR608 because it has everything i would want/need and price is very good. however the video bug is making me think otherwise, however i say to myself if i get the SR608 i probably won't have to worry about upgrading to another receiver for a good 10+ years (hopefully).

I don't know what to do, i'm so confused.
post #4 of 7 Old 06-04-2010, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

i'm kinda leaning to the VSX-1020-K over the SR608 since it has ethernet for internet radio. however i would like to have HD Radio aswell. Are there any receivers at the same price range with HD radio and internet radio. i don't really need the iphone gimmicks but they are a plus because i have an iphone. however i would like HD radio over iphone features. but HD radio is not required it's just a plus.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-04-2010, 10:24 PM

As stated, your laptop has HDMI but it depends on whether your video/sound card supports sending audio over HDMI. You may need to apply a firmware update but I would Google it and see if you can find anything on an Acer forum. You could also run a separate audio cable if you have any problems.

If all of your music is currently in iTunes, I'd recommend going with an Apple TV instead of your laptop to connect to the receivers you're considering. It will stream iTunes, Internet Radio, Youtube, etc. but not Netflix (Apple's lack of collaboration). You can do that with your PS3 though.

You won't find too many receivers in your price range with HD radio. The Yamaha 1065 and Denon 3310 come to mind (both $650+). Onkyo offers an add-on HD radio for their receivers.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_580UPHT...=detailed_info

The new Denon 5.1 system is a pretty good suggestion and you should be able to hear it at Best Buy. Amazon/6ave has a pretty good deal on a Yamaha/Klipsch bundle to get you started on your home theater. With the size of your room, you probably won't need 7.1.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-05-2010, 02:17 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2115 Post(s)
Liked: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmer007 View Post

Are there any receivers at the same price range with HD radio and internet radio. i don't really need the iphone gimmicks but they are a plus because i have an iphone. however i would like HD radio over iphone features. but HD radio is not required it's just a plus.

Keep in mind that a good quality external HD radio tuner can be added to any AVR you choose for about $75.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #7 of 7 Old 06-05-2010, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter

thanks guys i think i'm gonna go with SR608. also my speakers will be 4 BIC DV62si, 1 BIC DV-62CLRS, and 1 BIC F12.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page