How do you all work around the multi analog issue of bypassing bass management? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-05-2010, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a B&K Reference 50 (no HDMI inputs). I just recently purchased a Sony S1000ES Blu Ray and upgraded to Blu Ray mostly for the sound (new DTS HD & Dolby HD formats).

When I hook the Blu Ray up, I use the multi analog inputs for those new formats and a Toslink for the lossy DD and DTS formats.

As I understand it, when I watch a movie with HD audio it can only be played through the multi analog inputs which bypasses all my bass management, electronic cross overs, bass steering, notch filters, etc.. This seems disappointing because I believe (unless someone corrects me) that this is one of the reasons the B&K Reference 50 sounds so good. When in this mode, I also have to switch the crossover switch to "on" on my subwoofer because all the bass management is being bypassed and then switch it back "off" when listening to DTS or DD.

Do you guys have a better workaround other than manually turning the subwoofer crossover on and off all the time? Are you guys all OK with loosing all the processing features of your receivers/preamps when you use multichannel inputs?

Is there a better solution (besides upgrading my Reference 50 to one that has HDMI)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-05-2010, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My work around was to get a HDMI capable receiver. LOL. In my opinion,that was the BEST option. I tried the multi channel in thing and it just didn't seem as though I was getting the full potential. Now I feel that I am.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-05-2010, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 130
I responded to your post on the Audio Theory forum. Also...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dog View Post

When in this mode, I also have to switch the crossover switch to "on" on my subwoofer because all the bass management is being bypassed and then switch it back "off" when listening to DTS or DD.

That should not be done. If you have the usual subwoofer connection from your AVR, using a filter at the sub only serves to discard frequencies, not reroute them. But, as noted in the other thread, the player should do basic bass management.
post #4 of 4 Old 06-05-2010, 04:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 110
You can enjoy a better quality DTS (1.5 Mbs vs the usual 750 kbs or so,) and DD (640 kbs, vs 448 or even lower on DD) while still using optical.

"But this one goes up to 11"
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page