OFFICIAL Sony STR-DN1010 3D-Ready HDMI 1.4 Receiver Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: In order to view 3DTV content with HD audio, I...
need a new HDMI 1.4/3DTV-ready receiver 0 0%
refuse to get a new receiver (will settle for standard AC3/DTS) 0 0%
am a skeptic - my non-3DTV ready receiver will still decode HD audio 0 0%
already have a HDMI 1.4/3DTV-ready receiver 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 362 Old 06-28-2011, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had my 810 for about 3 months now and I'm very satisfied.
Everything is hooked up via hdmi. Power output seems better than my older model onkyo plus the center channel is much better. My older onkyo was a 250 dollar htib so I won't be the greatest judge. I'm running Polk monitors II 60's for the front, a Polk cs-10 for the center, 2 polk monitor II 30's for the rear surround, 2 polk 885's for the surround and a Bic f-12 sub....I think it sounds awesome. The Sony takes a few seconds when changing inputs....that could be a little quicker but thats about the only complaint I have for now.
I haven't tried component to hdmi up conversion and I don't use the pass-thru option. I do use the "arc" channel though, it recognizes when the tv is turned on or off.
Hope this helps alittle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 362 Old 07-01-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderNDirt View Post

Looking for a little help/advice here.

I picked up the STR-DN1010 a few days ago as the final update component to my HT. After spending most of the day getting it hooked up and working properly(?), I am not sure I am reaping that much,if any benefit (other then the hdmi/3D passthrough) over my old Sony STR-DB930. Both using paradigm speakers.

....... Or are my ears/hearing just getting too old to tell a difference?

Thanks for any help/advice/suggestions.

Variables, variables....................

Much is dependent on ......... BD Player? Audio connection(s) made via? Number of speakers?
post #273 of 362 Old 07-01-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkStatePokes1 View Post

This line of thinking can be compared to people who insist on dumping $5k worth of subs/amps into their 1984 Toyota Corolla...

Ha!

And all the while stopped next to them at a light they're looking at me as I'm LMAO while listening to their trunk seal burp air. Talk about hard on a speakers cone and surround.

I digress though on the thunderous heart-stopping rattle the floor bass. I like it on "certain" movies. Or as the will provides.

A correctly sized and properly located sub can't be beat.
post #274 of 362 Old 07-01-2011, 10:23 PM

Yes I too have strong feelings about stuff

I got an:
str-dn1010
Polk monitor 40's in front and surrounds
Polk cs10 center
Polk psw505 sub
Sony bd370 bdplayer

All in all I like this AV reciever it was easy to set up and easy to live with. I'm thinking about adding more for 6.1 or 7.1
post #275 of 362 Old 07-02-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post

Variables, variables....................

Much is dependent on ......... BD Player? Audio connection(s) made via? Number of speakers?

Same Paradigm speakers (Monitor 7 fronts, CC170 center, ADP 170 surrounds, and PDR10 sub), locations, and speaker wires to the old and new receivers.

Components (DirecTv HD DVR and Samsung 5500 BR) connected to old DB930 via optical cables, but to DN1010 with HDMI. Audio just does not sound as crisp, clean, and clear as the old set-up. As my wife, who is not nearly as picky as I am, asked "why does it sound so tinny?" Perhaps I was just expecting a big improvement going to a receiver that would process the True HD audio? Was trying to start with asking if anybody was familiar enough with Sony receivers, old and new, who might give an opinion regarding the old "bridge" level receivers of then compared to a non-elite model today.

I have played with settings some. After auto set-up, I changed speaker settings from large to small and adjusted the equalizer increasing bass and lowering treble, which has made some improvements to the good. Admitedly, I need to re-read the manual and make sure I am getting into all areas of the menus. I find the system a bit confusing with the gui mode, menu, and tools buttons for navigating through things. Just gotta get wifey away from the theater long enough for me to do some in depth calibrating. Must admit, I went to another store and listened to the DN1010 switched with several other brands and did not hear near the difference that I do at home. Wondering if there is some setting buried deep in the menues that I have not gotten to yet.
post #276 of 362 Old 07-02-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:

Admitedly, I need to re-read the manual and make sure I am getting into all areas of the menus. I find the system a bit confusing with the gui mode, menu, and tools buttons for navigating through things.

HERE's a quick list of the options available in the on-screen GUI Setup. The second link is the same as what I typed out, just prettier.

!! Seeings you had the C5500(?) connected via optical previously, with HDMI now, in it's setup screens: > Audio > Digital Output > set it if you haven't already to "Bitstream (Audiophile)" so that it doesn't downsample the audio. See the chart on pg33 of the linked manual. Caveat emptor concerning the BonusView Audio that the online manual makes note of when referencing this setting. Online C5500 Manual HERE, Audio settings on page 32.

You might check the DN1010's D.Range Comp setting, SP Pattern, and check that the Sound Field is at A.F.D Auto.
post #277 of 362 Old 07-02-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post

!! Seeings you had the C5500(?) connected via optical previously, with HDMI now, in it's setup screens: > Audio > Digital Output > set it if you haven't already to "Bitstream (Audiophile)" so that it doesn't downsample the audio.

And in looking over the DB930 manuals some .....................

In the C5500 setup screens: > Audio > PCM Downsampling > set it to "Off" if you haven't already so that it passes 96khz PCM instead of the 48Khz the DB930 was capable of, if I read the specs correctly.

The C5500's "Dynamic Range Control" setting. I'm no expert and maybe someone else smarter will chime in here for clarification/correction but you have this setting on both the C5500 and DN1010. I believe you only want to set this "control' on one or the other, but not both. Or Off on both if that's your preference. At least that's what I have come to believe/understand and have applied here. Here, if I want DRC I'll use the DN1010's DRC capability.

I much prefer to relegate as much of the audio capabilities to the DN1010 as possible. That way my audio is at my fingertips to navigate via one remote and menu.

And I'll assume you already have the C5500's "Downmixing Mode" set to "Surround Compatible" and the "DTS Neo:6" set to "Off" so as to let the DN1010 handle that should you care to listen in this manner.

Hth,
wardog
post #278 of 362 Old 07-02-2011, 11:00 PM

wardog, thanks for all your help.

BluRay is a Samsung BD-D5500. Audio out was/is set to "Bitstream (unprocessed).Audio downsampling wasis set to "Off". DRC was set to "Auto" and I changed it to "Off". Downmixing modee was/is set to "surround compatible. Did not find anything about DTS Neo:6 (only in the DN1010 manual), but will check further later....or is that exclusive to the C5500 you are referencing rather then the D5500 I have?

On the DN1010: SP pattern is 3/2.1. Sound Field was/is set to "A.F.D. Audio. Not clear on what/where "D. Range Comp setting" is, but getting late, so will check further tomorrow.

I think that covers all you suggested and on a quick/brief test, changes seem to have made improvements. I would suspect changing the D5500 DRC to off might have been the biggest improvement. Thanks again for your help and I will do some further testing/listening and research over the next day or two. But I do think I am well on my way to getting to where I would like to be with this receiver.

Thanks again and have a great weekend/Independence Day!
post #279 of 362 Old 07-03-2011, 12:24 AM

Quote:

Did not find anything about DTS Neo:6 (only in the DN1010 manual), but will check further later....or is that exclusive to the C5500 you are referencing rather then the D5500 I have?

To the C5500. Me bad. Sorry for the confusion.

Quote:

Not clear on what/where "D. Range Comp setting" is, but getting late, so will check further tomorrow.

DRC is Dynamic Range Compression(/Control) as referenced in both the D5500 and DN1010's manuals.

The DN1010's "D.Range Comp" is the same as the D5500's Dynamic Range Control. Hence my noting of not having both devices DRC setting enabled.

The "D.Range Comp" setting in the DN1010 is: GUI > Speakers > D.Range Comp. > COMP. MAX , COMP. STD , COMP. AUTO , COMP. OFF (Default is COMP. AUTO)

And not sure if you've seen it but Samsung has recently, as of June 8 2011, released a new firmware for the BD-D5500.

You and your family too. Have a great 4th.
post #280 of 362 Old 07-06-2011, 10:27 AM

Thanks to wardog, I think I have this receiver tuned into where I am reasonably happy with the audio it provides. I took the time to go into a retail store where I could have them switch between the DN1010 and a few others/brands I would consider in my price range, and that confirmed minimal difference in quality. For the price of the 1010, it will work nicely until I might come up with $1k or more to take a big step up.

Now if I can only tear the wife away from watching old SD reruns and game shows long enough for me to enjoy some good action/adventure BluRay's, all will be good.
post #281 of 362 Old 07-18-2011, 07:39 AM

Anyone watch rango on bd on this? Niiiiice
post #282 of 362 Old 07-19-2011, 06:11 AM

Does anyone have any discrete IR codes for this??
mainly looking for the HDMI 1-4 input commands..

thanks,
Ian
post #283 of 362 Old 07-19-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibryant20 View Post

Does anyone have any discrete IR codes for this??
mainly looking for the HDMI 1-4 input commands..

thanks,
Ian

Why did you choose the sony str-dn1010, just curious, are you aware of that receivers history and reputation, its not good,why do you think its selling for $200 dollars under retail and vendor's are still having a difficult time depleting there inventory,they have hundreds still in stock,and it is last years model. Sorry, I'm dissing your choice of receiver,but, you could do better.

I use to be a huge Sony fan boy,but they failed me big time,the quality just is not there anymore. There ES line is so much better,and out of reach financially for most of us. And difficult to obtain in 2011.
(Available only through certified custom installers). Any one of the
other major player's receivers, would have been a better long term choice.

Unless you can afford,Sony's ES line,my recommendation would be to stay away from Sony's standard line. Just my personal preference,and opinion, yours may be quite different.
post #284 of 362 Old 07-19-2011, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyman777go

Why did you choose the sony str-dn1010, just curious, are you aware of that receivers history and reputation, its not good,why do you think its selling for $200 dollars under retail and vendor's are still having a difficult time depleting there inventory,they have hundreds still in stock,and it is last years model. Sorry, I'm dissing your choice of receiver,but, you could do better.

I use to be a huge Sony fan boy,but they failed me big time,the quality just is not there anymore. There ES line is so much better,and out of reach financially for most of us. And difficult to obtain in 2011.
(Available only through certified custom installers). Any one of the
other major player's receivers, would have been a better long term choice.

Unless you can afford,Sony's ES line,my recommendation would be to stay away from Sony's standard line. Just my personal preference,and opinion, yours may be quite different.
Concurred! I brought mine back after a few weeks of owning it. It had ok sound quality, but it's lack of bass and other quirky issues was enough for me to dump it and go with the Pioneer VSX-33, and I never looked back. I use to be Sony fanboy as well, but to many quality issues made me jump ship. While my previous ES receiver sounded great, even it had quality issues.
post #285 of 362 Old 07-20-2011, 06:58 PM

Meh... I was unhappy with my purchase for a while, but now, it is doing quite well. I'm quite happy with the 1010...for the price point, it sounds great... There's always lemons in any production run - sometimes MANY...but I got a good one - unlike the 3 Pioneer AVR's I tried first...all the same model...all from Amazon...all CRAP.
post #286 of 362 Old 07-21-2011, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdjman View Post

Meh... I was unhappy with my purchase for a while, but now, it is doing quite well. I'm quite happy with the 1010...for the price point, it sounds great... There's always lemons in any production run - sometimes MANY...but I got a good one - unlike the 3 Pioneer AVR's I tried first...all the same model...all from Amazon...all CRAP.

That's cool !!!!
post #287 of 362 Old 07-30-2011, 06:03 AM

If anybody has the Sony str-dn1010 and Sony bdp-s380 the code to make the bd button on the receiver remote is 311. Speaking from personal experience
post #288 of 362 Old 07-30-2011, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

I just replaced my one year old STR-DN1000 with the 1010 and so far I've not been impressed with the LFE response on this thing. Without changing any of my speaker arrangement and configured the speakers, distance and levels the same I found that I had to bump the sub power (on the sub itself) close to full whereas before it was set before midpoint on the dial. I also had to drop my crossovers to about 70 (previously 90) and increase the SW output on the amp to +10 where previously it was around +3. And yet, it still sounds like I'm just missing something in the LFE department. Even though the sound levels on test mode sound about right, certain scenes in movies that gave a thicker, deeper bass just sounded more hollow, if that makes any sense.

Anyone else experience this?
post #289 of 362 Old 07-30-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alougher View Post

I just replaced my one year old STR-DN1000 with the 1010 and so far I've not been impressed with the LFE response on this thing. Without changing any of my speaker arrangement and configured the speakers, distance and levels the same I found that I had to bump the sub power (on the sub itself) close to full whereas before it was set before midpoint on the dial. I also had to drop my crossovers to about 70 (previously 90) and increase the SW output on the amp to +10 where previously it was around +3. And yet, it still sounds like I'm just missing something in the LFE department. Even though the sound levels on test mode sound about right, certain scenes in movies that gave a thicker, deeper bass just sounded more hollow, if that makes any sense.

Anyone else experience this?

I sure did and that is why I brought mine back. Raising all the controls(including the SW) to their highest levels yielded anemic bass response at best. And I know my Subwoofer was not the issue as it pumps out deep bass with my Pioneer.
post #290 of 362 Old 07-30-2011, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Good to know it's not just me I've never had to put my sub above midpoint with any amp I've owned so I knew something was amiss. Looks like a trip back to BB...

Cheers.
post #291 of 362 Old 07-30-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:

Good to know it's not just me I've never had to put my sub above midpoint with any amp I've owned so I knew something was amiss. Looks like a trip back to BB...

Cheers.

Lol! I did the same exact thing. I brought it back to BB. The 1010 is a piece if crap. If your gonna go with a Sony, your better off going with their ES line. I decided to jump ship and go with a Pioneer Elite model.
post #292 of 362 Old 07-31-2011, 09:17 AM

Any of the few DN1010 owners left having the issue with it passing through the DirecTv ESPN 3D 720P signal? Not sure if there might be some setting to change (I couldn't find one) or if I have to settle for sending video directly to the tv from the DirecTv box and running optical to the 1010 for audio. I hate doing that cause then I lose my on screen 1010 menu information whenever I watch any DirecTv, which is 90% of my viewing.

Word is DirecTv is aware of this and a fix is in the works, but may be months out.
post #293 of 362 Old 07-31-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post
I sure did and that is why I brought mine back. Raising all the controls(including the SW) to their highest levels yielded anemic bass response at best. And I know my Subwoofer was not the issue as it pumps out deep bass with my Pioneer.
Elbrunoloco : maybe set your speakers to small? I'm not sure if you've tried that yet from what I read sir
post #294 of 362 Old 08-01-2011, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbrunoloco

Elbrunoloco : maybe set your speakers to small? I'm not sure if you've tried that yet from what I read sir
Yep tried that too. The 1010 was a lost cause....
post #295 of 362 Old 08-01-2011, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post

Yep tried that too. The 1010 was a lost cause....

With speakers set to small, my Velodyne sub provides adequate bass.

Certified HDTV junkie and AVS addict
U.S. Army FA WWII
post #296 of 362 Old 08-01-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:

Cheers.

This is why I purchased,an onkyo tx-nr609 receiver, no anemic anything, check out there web site, they build recevers,the good old fashion way, juicy, powerful and delicious!!!!

THATS WHY I SAY F*** SONY'S STANDARD LINE RECEIVER'S!!!! ONKYO,YAMAHA,PIONEER,AND DENON,DO IT,MUCH BETTER!!!!
post #297 of 362 Old 08-01-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyman777go View Post

This is why I purchased,an onkyo tx-nr609 receiver, no anemic anything, check out there web site, they build recevers,the good old fashion way, juicy, powerful and delicious!!!!

THATS WHY I SAY F*** SONY'S STANDARD LINE RECEIVER'S!!!! ONKYO,YAMAHA,PIONEER,AND DENON,DO IT,MUCH BETTER!!!!

Concurred..... And I wouldn't recommend anything below their ES line.
post #298 of 362 Old 08-01-2011, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Traded mine for the Denon 2310. Wow what a difference! The Denon finally brought my room alive!
post #299 of 362 Old 08-01-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:

Any of the few DN1010 owners left having the issue with it passing through the DirecTv ESPN 3D 720P signal? Not sure if there might be some setting to change (I couldn't find one) or if I have to settle for sending video directly to the tv from the DirecTv box and running optical to the 1010 for audio. I hate doing that cause then I lose my on screen 1010 menu information whenever I watch any DirecTv, which is 90% of my viewing.

Word is DirecTv is aware of this and a fix is in the works, but may be months out.

I never could get my 1010 to work with DirecTV ESPN 3D. The 1010 does not support 720p side by side. (Unlike HD, the DirecTV box cannot convert 3D content to a different resolution.) I discussed the issue with DirecTV in April and concluded DirecTV is unlikely to change their broadcast format for the 1010. Sony should update the 1010 with 720p side by side but that is even less likely.

As an aside, my Integra DTR 40.2 didn't support side by side at all (no ESPN 3D, either) but at least pass through worked and the TV put up the 3D image. Integra called me about the problem and sent new software to fix the problem in less than a month.
post #300 of 362 Old 08-03-2011, 04:28 AM

Passive sub?
I have a Polk psw 505.
Sometimes I even turn it up past halfway bc getting yelled at is worth it
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page