OFFICIAL Sony STR-DN1010 3D-Ready HDMI 1.4 Receiver Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: In order to view 3DTV content with HD audio, I...
need a new HDMI 1.4/3DTV-ready receiver 0 0%
refuse to get a new receiver (will settle for standard AC3/DTS) 0 0%
am a skeptic - my non-3DTV ready receiver will still decode HD audio 0 0%
already have a HDMI 1.4/3DTV-ready receiver 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 362 Old 12-12-2010, 09:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsooner40 View Post

Yeah, it is a bit strange that you can't set the "non-HDMI" inputs to use HDMI audio. However, I don't think this is really that big of a deal since you can simply use the HDMI inputs and rename them.

The problem is that I need an index card to keep straight which input is which. "I want to watch TV, so I press HDMI-1. I want to use the computer, so I press DVD. I want to play XBox, so HDMI-2. Or was the PS3 HDMI-2?" Then try explaining basic input switching to non-techie roommate/spouse...

Quote:

Also, as you said you can assign the other inputs to HDMI video and optical audio so that solves your problem with the Macbook Pro.

Yup.

Quote:

There is a way around this which may be a pain depending on how you look at it: Simply turn on the receiver first and don't turn on the TV.

That works great if and only if BraviaSync is turned off. With it turned on, turning on the receiver turns on the TV, and turning off the TV turns off the receiver.

Quote:

The FM/AM tuner only displays the barebones tuning interface if you select it through the onscreen menu in GUI Mode. If you press the GUI MODE button again it will go away and you can listen to the radio while watching video from another source. If you select the FM/AM tuner using the TUNER button and bypass GUI mode you won't run into this problem.

What if I don't want to run a giant TV to listen to radio? Same BraviaSync issues as above. Is there an easy way to get JUST the receiver to turn on while still having BraviaSync active? (Reading your later comment, I think your system works much more gracefully because you have a 2011 TV with more elegant BraviaSync functionality.)

Quote:

This is absolutely incorrect. I have renamed my inputs and the names show up fine on the front of the receiver. One problem you may be running into is that if you select your input from the onscreen display in GUI mode the receiver will continue to display "GUI" on the front after the input has been selected. While "GUI" is displayed on the receiver you can't use the DISPLAY button to cycle through the various display options. You have to press the GUI MODE button again to get rid of this. Once this is turned off the DISPLAY button will work and you can cycle through the various options. Another way around this is to simply use the buttons on the remote to switch inputs and don't go through the onscreen menu.

That's not my experience thus far, but I'll play with that when I get a chance.

Quote:

I can't really comment on the delay issues as I haven't run into any lip sync issues.

If you have a gaming machine, try playing a rhythm game like Rock Band or Guitar Hero. For me, it was noticeable just watching TV. This problem didn't exist when I had the same components connected directly to the TV. Rock Band used to have like 8ms delay, where it now has 40-50ms. This is especially problematic for first person shooters, where that much delay literally gets you shot.

Quote:

I'm a bit puzzled why you said you need to switch the audio and video separately since as noted above you can set some of the inputs to use HDMI video and optical audio.

It's just an option I'm considering. Going to separate audio/video would mean putting video directly into the TV, reducing the video delay. Not only would this be extremely annoying for input switching, but it would reduce my audio from discrete to matrix (TOSLINK doesn't support discrete channels) and effectively limit me to 3 inputs.

By the way, any suggestion of using the BD/DVD/TV inputs with HDMI audio will get you the same answer from Sony support: "just run the audio separately. If you want to use HDMI audio, use the HDMI input".

Quote:

Yeah, it can take a while but it doesn't really bother me since I'm not constantly switching inputs back and forth.

Great for you. Not so great for me.

Quote:

Interesting. I've never tried to mix audio channels together so to me this is a non-issue. Obviously you could still listen to a CD or the radio while a game is on the screen.

On the screen, but not on the speakers. This feature isn't unheard of; pretty much every analog receiver supported this, since the signals could be literally spliced without needing extra decoders.

Quote:

I have no problem auto switching the the speakers when the receiver is turned on/off. I have a 52EX700 and I turned on Control for HDMI in the TV and receiver settings and then enabled the receiver in the device list in my TV menu. I also have "Pass Through" set to AUTO in the receiver HDMI settings. I can simply turn off the receiver and the sound will automatically switch to my TV speakers. Likewise, it will switch back to my external speakers when I turn the receiver back on. Of course this only works for HDMI sources with "Pass Through" enabled on the receiver, but I always listen through my external speakers anyway.

It must be the benefit of the 2010 model TV's (ex700). My 2009 model (v5100) does not work that way.

All in all, I think that most of my problems are just a cumulative failure of many smaller design decisions (except for the video delay!). This system works great if you probably filled a great niche for early 3D adopters in 2009, but with a wave of HDMI 1.4 devices out/coming soon, I can't see this thing holding much ground. I've made my decision: my failure-by-design unit is going back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 362 Old 12-14-2010, 03:21 PM

Hi all.
I recently bought a new Sony 55 inch 3d telly and also treated my self to this bad boy receiver.
The trouble I'm having is with the receiver in standby; turning on different components example sky tv or xbox etc does not automatically Pass through the signal to the telly. I need to manually make sure the receiver is set to hdmi 1, 2 or 3 and then I can switch off the receiver again and the signal continues ok. To select another component (after switching off the other), I have to manually set the hdmi again and then i can switch off the receiver again.
I thought that if the receiver is in standby, it would throughput any hdmi it received...
Called Sony and they said it was probably faulty. They sent out another one and even tested it in the shop as ok... But at home I have the same problem.... :-(
Help!!!!
post #63 of 362 Old 12-16-2010, 06:26 AM

Hi folks,

Just got the receiver last week to replace an older high end onkyo so I could get 3d pass thru for the new Sony 3D TV I got from the best buy deal. Have it connected to a 7.1 infinity speaker setup all overture series. Anytime I try to have the volume set anywhere above 40ish the receiver goes into protect mode. I have it in an open shelf with about 4-5 inches open on top and open on all other sides. Do you guys think I got a lemon? I checked all the speaker connections and they seem to be good. I didn't have this issue with the onkyo and that thing only had like 1 inch open at the top.

Thanks,

Joe
post #64 of 362 Old 12-19-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD_Gamer View Post

It must be the benefit of the 2010 model TV's (ex700). My 2009 model (v5100) does not work that way.

All in all, I think that most of my problems are just a cumulative failure of many smaller design decisions (except for the video delay!). This system works great if you probably filled a great niche for early 3D adopters in 2009, but with a wave of HDMI 1.4 devices out/coming soon, I can't see this thing holding much ground. I've made my decision: my failure-by-design unit is going back.

Hmm...I've got an '09 V5100, and it works - auto-switching to external or TV speakers, depending upon if the receiver is powered on or not...
post #65 of 362 Old 12-19-2010, 10:39 AM

Have any of you had an issue whereby the Sub isn't on or responding? I've noticed when watching movies either streaming thru my PS3, or a movie being played on the PS3 that where you expect to hear thundering horses, or a train rumbling by, it is very meek/mild and no house-shaking event... I've got a Sony powered sub, and it's turned all the way UP...but still no deep deep bass rumbles.
post #66 of 362 Old 12-23-2010, 02:36 PM

When the receiver goes into standby mode by itself, the next time I turn on TV or DVD player, the audio is not there any more, and unless I leave the receiver and tv on without audio for a long time (like one hour), the audio would come back again. This becomes kind of annoying. Can anyone tell me if there is any configuration I need to set up to prevent such a problem? or do you think this should not occur, and it might be a faulty receiver? I am trying to get some answers here first before I call sony customer service. I bought the new receiver over thanksgiving time. Thanks.
post #67 of 362 Old 12-24-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD_Gamer View Post

While I'm (still) on the topic of inputs, let me point out that naming an input is pretty damned useless. Although you can type in a short ASCII name, that name will only appear in the on-screen GUI. It doesn't appear on the TV or receiver when switching between sources. Why bother naming an input if you'll never, ever see that name except for a deep submenu.

I'm sitting here staring at mine with "PS3" displayed as the HDMI2 input on the receiver's face as we speak (while waiting for my PS3 data to restore to a new hard drive ). It shows up that way everywhere on mine. :shrug:
post #68 of 362 Old 12-28-2010, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samdu View Post
I'm sitting here staring at mine with "PS3" displayed as the HDMI2 input on the receiver's face as we speak (while waiting for my PS3 data to restore to a new hard drive ). It shows up that way everywhere on mine. :shrug:
I thought the same thing ... All he has to do is hit the "Display" button on the front of the receiver to choose which nomenclature is used. Mine says, alternately, "PS3", "COMCAST", "BR DVD", and "APPLE TV". Easy peasy.
post #69 of 362 Old 12-28-2010, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdjman View Post

Have any of you had an issue whereby the Sub isn't on or responding? I've noticed when watching movies either streaming thru my PS3, or a movie being played on the PS3 that where you expect to hear thundering horses, or a train rumbling by, it is very meek/mild and no house-shaking event... I've got a Sony powered sub, and it's turned all the way UP...but still no deep deep bass rumbles.

I'm sorta running into the same issue myself..... I'm hoping some manual calibration on my part will fix it. I know it's definitely not my sub, because that thing would rock the house with my old DA2000ES AMP.
post #70 of 362 Old 01-01-2011, 11:44 AM

Got my 1010 for Xmas and am pretty happy (coming from a 9 year old RCA HTIB)....there are a few things I'm getting used to with the video switching, etc.

The problem I'm having is when I hook my Wii with component cables and then upconvert through the HDMI I get a good picture but it's not filling my screen. It comes about 2 inches from top, bottom, left and right and just won't fill it properly.

I've been looking all over but can't seem to find out what's causing this. What good is upconversion if it won't fill your screen?
post #71 of 362 Old 01-02-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post

I'm sorta running into the same issue myself..... I'm hoping some manual calibration on my part will fix it. I know it's definitely not my sub, because that thing would rock the house with my old DA2000ES AMP.

I re-ran AutoCal...then tweaked the bass a bit..and keep it on NIGHT MODE...at least there is SOME bass...but I would think it should be thunderous...and it just isn't. Oh, and I turned off the 'auto standby' on the Sub...
post #72 of 362 Old 01-03-2011, 02:31 AM

Quote:

I re-ran AutoCal...then tweaked the bass a bit..and keep it on NIGHT MODE...at least there is SOME bass...but I would think it should be thunderous...and it just isn't. Oh, and I turned off the 'auto standby' on the Sub...

Yeah I'm having that issue as well still........ This thread has a little more info.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1302631
post #73 of 362 Old 01-06-2011, 06:02 PM

Cool, thanks. I turned Auto-standby off before, but haven't increased the gain on it, nor looked deeper into the very limited menus. I also haven't seen my blue light lit up for anything...i'm such a noob.......
post #74 of 362 Old 01-07-2011, 06:05 AM

Quote:

Cool, thanks. I turned Auto-standby off before, but haven't increased the gain on it, nor looked deeper into the very limited menus. I also haven't seen my blue light lit up for anything...i'm such a noob.......

I'm contemplating returning this unit and going with a higher end ES model, but I might also consider Pioneer as well. This unit has kind of been a disappointment.
post #75 of 362 Old 01-07-2011, 08:14 AM

I just purchased the 2008/2009 6400es through AVS. I have not had any similar problems and it does have HDMI GUI overlay of receiver functions. I do not have any analog or optical components and don't see the advantage of any sync or ARC functions in my setup. Therefore I can't comment on the previously mentioned issues on the ES line.

I just had a question for you owners out there. The back of the receiver appears to have multiple network inputs. Is it true that the receiver contains a network switch? I have five separate components in my theater setup that demand an ethernet connection.(PS3, BDP, receiver, DirecTV, HTPC). A built in network switch is a forward thinking idea. Do any other receivers have this functionality? The receiver has always been the connection hub of a theater system. It only makes sense to include a switch in the 21st century.
post #76 of 362 Old 01-07-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
I'm contemplating returning this unit and going with a higher end ES model, but I might also consider Pioneer as well. This unit has kind of been a disappointment.
Too rich for my blood. At least I got it for a really good price...I'd hate to spend almost a grand and be disappointed. I had the Pioneer VSX1020, but 3 of them didn't work, so I chose this one. I'm not 100% happy...but at least it works.
post #77 of 362 Old 01-08-2011, 04:24 AM

Quote:

Too rich for my blood. At least I got it for a really good price...I'd hate to spend almost a grand and be disappointed. I had the Pioneer VSX1020, but 3 of them didn't work, so I chose this one. I'm not 100% happy...but at least it works.

Actually I might be jumping ship to Denon.
post #78 of 362 Old 01-09-2011, 05:11 PM

Has anyone experienced having the receiver 'forget' that a signal is coming to it? It doesn't seem to happen with PS3 during gameplay, but if watching a movie, the signal goes away and then comes back. It also does this from the DVR/Dishnetwork side of things, as well. Quite annoying...
post #79 of 362 Old 01-11-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:

Has anyone experienced having the receiver 'forget' that a signal is coming to it? It doesn't seem to happen with PS3 during gameplay, but if watching a movie, the signal goes away and then comes back. It also does this from the DVR/Dishnetwork side of things, as well. Quite annoying...

So far, nope. The only signal related issue I've had is that occasionally the Comcast box's audio signal flakes out. But it did that before. Changing the channel and changing back fixes it. Defintely a cable box issue and not a receiver issue. Nothing else does that with the receiver.
post #80 of 362 Old 01-11-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:

Do y'all have the LPF turned on for your subs? I've got a relatively modest Yamaha powered sub and it shakes the house (when appropriate, of course).
post #81 of 362 Old 01-11-2011, 11:19 AM

I do have a video switching question. The receiver supposedly converts video to 1080p over HDMI. Does this mean that my TV should always be showing 1080p? Shouldn't the signal the TV is getting be a 1080p signal? Right now the TV shows the native resolution of the original source (1080i/720p for Comcast, 720p for 720p PS3 games, etc...).
post #82 of 362 Old 01-11-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:

Do y'all have the LPF turned on for your subs? I've got a relatively modest Yamaha powered sub and it shakes the house (when appropriate, of course).

Can you elaborate? The dial on my sub says lowpass and it goes from 0 to 120hz. Then I have a toggle switch that says phase, and my option is either 0 or 180? What are your DN1010 SW settings?
post #83 of 362 Old 01-11-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:

I do have a video switching question. The receiver supposedly converts video to 1080p over HDMI. Does this mean that my TV should always be showing 1080p? Shouldn't the signal the TV is getting be a 1080p signal? Right now the TV shows the native resolution of the original source (1080i/720p for Comcast, 720p for 720p PS3 games, etc...).

It can only upscale analog video sources (connected to either the component or composite rca inputs). All HDMI video sources (like from your PS3) will stay at their native resolution.

Most (maybe all?) receivers are like this. EDIT: Looks like some newer ones are scaling HDMI to HDMI like the Yamaha RXV767
post #84 of 362 Old 01-12-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:

Can you elaborate? The dial on my sub says lowpass and it goes from 0 to 120hz. Then I have a toggle switch that says phase, and my option is either 0 or 180? What are your DN1010 SW settings?

There is a SW LPF setting in the HDMI menu under 'Settings'. Mine is ON. There is also the EQ where you can crank up the bass....AND...you can also crank it in the 'Manual' settings for the speakers. I've jacked all of those up, and there is much more punch now. WHY it doesn't adjust it in the auto speaker set up is beyond me.

Does the blue LED only light up on certain speaker configs or what? I know it's for when it's decoding certain signals, but I find it difficult to believe that absolutely *nothing* that i've watched in a month has that type of signal...

That's bugging me, and the sudden, momentary 'loss' of signal...other than that...I like it...
post #85 of 362 Old 01-12-2011, 03:38 PM

hi guys
I got strDn1010 for thanks giving.
Recently I purchase HDMI cables and tried ot connect my BDPN460 dvd player to my receiver. before that I was using co-axial audio-video cables.
But with HDMI cables after showing welcome screen video is not shown on the TV.I can see video on TV when I connect HMI cable direct to tv w/o receiver.
TV is panasonic.
it is working good with other hdmi inputs --xbox360,dish dvr,and roku kind of media palyer running on hdmi2,3,4 respectively.

the bd player bdpn460.
post #86 of 362 Old 01-12-2011, 06:21 PM

I have a set of Bose speakers that have speaker wire with open ends (metal wire ex.exposed). I have Sony receiver that has speaker receptacles that has screw-on connectors. I would like to know if I can insert the speaker wire as is or do I need to do something with the speaker wires to connect to the receiver.
post #87 of 362 Old 01-13-2011, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD777 View Post

I have a set of Bose speakers that have speaker wire with open ends (metal wire ex.exposed). I have Sony receiver that has speaker receptacles that has screw-on connectors. I would like to know if I can insert the speaker wire as is or do I need to do something with the speaker wires to connect to the receiver.

Two words for you: Banana Plugs...if you're talking about the connectors like on the back of most AV receivers. Trying to put the bare wires in and get a good connection is tedious & time consuming...not to mention FRUSTRATING.

Do yourself a favor and get some banana plugs from monoprice or somewhere.
post #88 of 362 Old 01-13-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD777 View Post

Turn the banana plugs to the left. Find the hole, insert wire and screw the plug right to secure. Banana plugs are not neccesary for most people IMO.

Mark
post #89 of 362 Old 01-13-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSmith View Post

Turn the banana plugs to the left. Find the hole, insert wire and screw the plug right to secure. Banana plugs are not neccesary for most people IMO.

Mark

Necessary is a relative term. If you have fingers larger than a child's, it isn't fun trying to un-screw, thread the wire, and tighten (not to mention if your eyesight ain't what it used to be).

Banana plugs can be had fairly inexpensively, and they save time/hassle.

I'm just sayin...
post #90 of 362 Old 01-13-2011, 09:26 AM

I'm beyond pissed right now. I've been having trouble with this receiver for a couple weeks now. It seems to lose signals every couple hours or so now and I wake up today and cant get either of my subwoofers to run on it. It was running fine yesterday and now nothing. It's even worse today because I bought the Bic F12 and now I won't be able to use it.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page