OFFICIAL Sony STR-DN1010 3D-Ready HDMI 1.4 Receiver Thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: In order to view 3DTV content with HD audio, I...
need a new HDMI 1.4/3DTV-ready receiver 0 0%
refuse to get a new receiver (will settle for standard AC3/DTS) 0 0%
am a skeptic - my non-3DTV ready receiver will still decode HD audio 0 0%
already have a HDMI 1.4/3DTV-ready receiver 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 362 Old 02-06-2011, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdjman View Post

Have you gone through the manual speaker setup in the GUI Menu? See if you can send the test tone to any of the other speakers... Also, re-check all cables/phase, etc...

My only gripes about this AVR is the lack of Bass response on some BluRay/DVD played thru the PS3...and the random total loss of signal. I've not had any speaker issues, thus far.

Test tone only goes to FL, FR and sub-woofer.
The phase is ok.

At some point, I was able to hear RL and RR speakers. So it doesn't look like there is anything wrong with the speakers or the speaker wire connections.

I suspect the audio input and output and the speaker configuration from the AVR.

Flipping channels and 10-second delay in tuning to TV is still an issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 362 Old 02-08-2011, 05:56 PM

If you can take it back, I would...otherwise, call Sony.

This forum is not a very lively one - so either hardly anyone has bought one...no one else is having problems with one...or nobody cares. The pioneer forums are always buzzing with helpful stuff...
post #123 of 362 Old 02-09-2011, 05:32 AM

Quote:

If you can take it back, I would...otherwise, call Sony.

This forum is not a very lively one - so either hardly anyone has bought one...no one else is having problems with one...or nobody cares. The pioneer forums are always buzzing with helpful stuff...

I took mine back and I couldn't be happier. My Pioneer kicks ass!!!!!
post #124 of 362 Old 02-09-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post
I took mine back and I couldn't be happier. My Pioneer kicks ass!!!!!
I would have, as well, except the THREE(3) pioneers that I tried previous to this Sony didn't work...at all...right out of the box.

I have lost all faith in manufacturing...
post #125 of 362 Old 02-10-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
I would have, as well, except the THREE(3) pioneers that I tried previous to this Sony didn't work...at all...right out of the box.

I have lost all faith in manufacturing...
I'm wondering if your Pioneer's were refurbs? Were you dealing with only one online seller?
post #126 of 362 Old 02-10-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:

I'm wondering if your Pioneer's were refurbs? Were you dealing with only one online seller?

Nope - they were directly from Amazon...supposed to have been brand-spankin' new. I couldn't get ANYTHING to register that there was even a signal coming in, let alone get a signal OUT.

The DN1010 works...sometimes...for a while...then the HDMI signal evaporates...and it may come back on in a few seconds...or a few minutes...or I keep having to mess with it, and it eventually comes back...but doesn't stay forever.

I'm also really disappointed in the bass out of this unit. It works ok on some movies/TV, but i've noticed that most movies played via the PS3 have little bass to them.

One other thing with mine - I have rarely seen the Blue LED lit, and you can't tell me that the programming i'm watching isn't digital dolby or whatever that thing is supposed to be indicating...

I'm just disappointed - especially for the $ you can wrap up in a Home Theater...

Hell, my Samsung HTIB sounded WAY better than this thing...
post #127 of 362 Old 02-10-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:

Nope - they were directly from Amazon...supposed to have been brand-spankin' new. I couldn't get ANYTHING to register that there was even a signal coming in, let alone get a signal OUT.

The DN1010 works...sometimes...for a while...then the HDMI signal evaporates...and it may come back on in a few seconds...or a few minutes...or I keep having to mess with it, and it eventually comes back...but doesn't stay forever.

I'm also really disappointed in the bass out of this unit. It works ok on some movies/TV, but i've noticed that most movies played via the PS3 have little bass to them.

One other thing with mine - I have rarely seen the Blue LED lit, and you can't tell me that the programming i'm watching isn't digital dolby or whatever that thing is supposed to be indicating...

I'm just disappointed - especially for the $ you can wrap up in a Home Theater...

Hell, my Samsung HTIB sounded WAY better than this thing...

The DN1010 is a major disappointment.... This receiver has major issues and Sony needs to address them. My previous Sony was am ES model and it sounded great, but I still had issues with it, The 1010 was the last straw for me. Sony really needs to concentrate on R&D and quality control.
post #128 of 362 Old 02-10-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:

I can't speak for other folks... but other than a poorly written (more complicated than necessary) user guide, I'm very pleased w/ my DN1010. I have it hooked up to my 7.1 Klipsch surround sound and a 65738 Mits DLP. All my HDMI ports work properly and the Sub woofer has yet to fail. The speakers can hold whatever is throw at them because they exceed max 770 wattage the DN1010 can produce, which I think is important in achieving maximum clarity.

Oh yeah, another con to this AVR, besides the manual, is it's on-screen display menu that appears on the TV. Why even have one if you can't access all the features? ...but when you display the menu on the AVR's screen, everything is there. Fairly poor thinking on Sony's part.

Any how, just throwing my 2cents in.
post #129 of 362 Old 02-11-2011, 05:11 AM

I'm thinking my signal issue is from the HDMI Handshake...which isn't the fault of Sony...it's the fault of a protocol that, while it looks great on paper, isn't so hot in practice.

I think that HDMI is buggy, at best, and wasn't quite ready to be rolled out.

I find it totally ridiculous that you have to power things up in a certain order, otherwise they may or may not (usually, may NOT) function correctly - if at all - oh, and that order could be different for each individual set up...
post #130 of 362 Old 02-11-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfunky View Post

I can't speak for other folks... but other than a poorly written (more complicated than necessary) user guide, I'm very pleased w/ my DN1010. I have it hooked up to my 7.1 Klipsch surround sound and a 65738 Mits DLP. All my HDMI ports work properly and the Sub woofer has yet to fail. The speakers can hold whatever is throw at them because they exceed max 770 wattage the DN1010 can produce, which I think is important in achieving maximum clarity.

Oh yeah, another con to this AVR, besides the manual, is it's on-screen display menu that appears on the TV. Why even have one if you can't access all the features? ...but when you display the menu on the AVR's screen, everything is there. Fairly poor thinking on Sony's part.

Any how, just throwing my 2cents in.

Well your one of the lucky ones..... This and my last Somy were lemons. My first Sony never gave me an oz of trouble.
post #131 of 362 Old 02-11-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Well your one of the lucky ones..... This and my last Somy were lemons. My first Sony never gave me an oz of trouble.
Before purchasing the DN1010, I bought the STR-710. I'm using it on my non-3D LCD TV. My LCD is 5/6 yrs old, so there were no communication issues between devices.

I believe with newer products, there is too much communicating going on. But minor tweaks took care of that for me. I just made sure to turn off all "Sync" type abilities between my devices. My problem was with the TV turning on/off my AVR when I didn't want it to.

I was aware, before I purchased the DN1010, of all the "issues" people were having and how there were a few AVR's many people considered better. But I bought it anyway hoping my luck with Sony would continue.

There were a few that peeked my interest that I considered buying. Here's a link to the site where I saw them....test freaks. They rate products based on reviews (both expert and customer) from all over the net. Some at the top were way too expensive for me, but some were rated really high and more in my price range too.

Anyway, good luck hunting, hope your next AVR does the job.
post #132 of 362 Old 02-11-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:

Before purchasing the DN1010, I bought the STR-710. I'm using it on my non-3D LCD TV. My LCD is 5/6 yrs old, so there were no communication issues between devices.

I believe with newer products, there is too much communicating going on. But minor tweaks took care of that for me. I just made sure to turn off all "Sync" type abilities between my devices. My problem was with the TV turning on/off my AVR when I didn't want it to.

I was aware, before I purchased the DN1010, of all the "issues" people were having and how there were a few AVR's many people considered better. But I bought it anyway hoping my luck with Sony would continue.

There were a few that peeked my interest that I considered buying. Here's a link to the site where I saw them....test freaks. They rate products based on reviews (both expert and customer) from all over the net. Some at the top were way too expensive for me, but some were rated really high and more in my price range too.

Anyway, good luck hunting, hope your next AVR does the job.

It already it does.... I brought the 1010 back, and decided to spend a little more and got the Pioneer VXS-33. The difference in quality is like night and day. I really do like Sony, but I can only tolerate so many lemons. But to Sony's credit I would purchases another Blu-ray player from them, as my BDP-550 has been rock solid.
post #133 of 362 Old 02-11-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:

It already it does.... I brought the 1010 back, and decided to spend a little more and got the Pioneer VXS-33. The difference in quality is like night and day. I really do like Sony, but I can only tolerate so many lemons. But to Sony's credit I would purchases another Blu-ray playerbfrom them, as my BDP-550 has been rock solid.

The difference in quality should be like night & day, for twice the price... I was fortunate to have gotten my 1010 at just over $260...but regardless of the price, it ought to at least function properly...

I read one of the reviews from Test Freaks, where they talk about the 'Thunderous Bass'...they must have a totally different AVR than I do - especially if the movie is played on a PS3 (and yes, I've checked all of the EQ settings, etc...).
post #134 of 362 Old 02-11-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:

I read one of the reviews from Test Freaks, where they talk about the 'Thunderous Bass'...they must have a totally different AVR than I do - especially if the movie is played on a PS3 (and yes, I've checked all of the EQ settings, etc...).

I've got a couple of things that might work to increase your sub-woofers output. If you've tried them already...sorry to bother you

First, in the SPEAKER settings on your display MENU... set your SUR SIZE to SMALL.

Secondly in the LEVEL settings on your display MENU ...set your SW level to +10.0 dB.

Again, only do this if you feel your Subwoofer can handle more than what it's giving you already.
post #135 of 362 Old 02-11-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:

It already it does.... I brought the 1010 back, and decided to spend a little more and got the Pioneer VSX-33.....

WOW That thing looks BADA$$ dude !! Nice Choice
post #136 of 362 Old 02-11-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:

I've got a couple of things that might work to increase your sub-woofers output. If you've tried them already...sorry to bother you

First, in the SPEAKER settings on your display MENU... set your SUR SIZE to SMALL.

Secondly in the LEVEL settings on your display MENU ...set your SW level to +10.0 dB.

Again, only do this if you feel your Subwoofer can handle more than what it's giving you already.

Heh...sorry if I sound crabby...I appreciate *any* suggestions because I really want to like this thing...since I had to return the Pioneer... I'm relatively certain I have the size set to small, but i'll check...and also check the SW level...I don't think I have it at +10, but I may.

On 'normal' TV channels, etc., I have good bass response, but I tested a few movies on the PS3 (like Pale Rider and U571) and, where there should be a thundering herd of horses, or BOOMS from depth-charging...it's rather wimpy...

Seriously, my Samusung HTIB would literally shake the house...and I would have thought that the Sony would have surpassed that... *sigh*
post #137 of 362 Old 02-11-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:

WOW That thing looks BADA$$ dude !! Nice Choice

Thanks!!!!!! No issues getting thunderous bass out of this badboy...

Quote:

I've tried the same exact settings with very minimal affects.
post #138 of 362 Old 02-11-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:

I am honestly starting to think that the Sony fanboys are trying to hype this unit. My Klpisch sub-woofer pumps incredible bass from my Pioneer, but yet the 1010 makes it sound subpar, and I'm talking all bass settings set to max on the receiver and SW.
post #139 of 362 Old 02-11-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:

Heh...sorry if I sound crabby...I appreciate *any* suggestions because I really want to like this thing...since I had to return the Pioneer... I'm relatively certain I have the size set to small, but i'll check...and also check the SW level...I don't think I have it at +10, but I may.

On 'normal' TV channels, etc., I have good bass response, but I tested a few movies on the PS3 (like Pale Rider and U571) and, where there should be a thundering herd of horses, or BOOMS from depth-charging...it's rather wimpy...

Seriously, my Samusung HTIB would literally shake the house...and I would have thought that the Sony would have surpassed that... *sigh*

No Prob !

I must admit, this is my first REAL 5.1/7.1 Speaker Set-up. Never had one w/ a Subwoofer before, so just hearing it makes me excited. I know when I play Black Ops, the sound generated from the SW is amazing. If I throw a grenade at someone now, I'll try to run towards it just to get the feel the KABOOM. hahaha

Anyway, it's probably cuz I'm not used to hearing it that makes me amplify it in my brain.
post #140 of 362 Old 02-11-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:

No Prob !

I must admit, this is my first REAL 5.1/7.1 Speaker Set-up. Never had one w/ a Subwoofer before, so just hearing it makes me excited. I know when I play Black Ops, the sound generated from the SW is amazing. If I throw a grenade at someone now, I'll try to run towards it just to get the feel the KABOOM. hahaha

Anyway, it's probably cuz I'm not used to hearing it that makes me amplify it in my brain.

Yeah - games sound pretty good, some movies sound relatively decent, but I just expected more. I'm by no means an audiophile...I just want decent sound. I've got 2 satellites & a sub on my PC that rattle the windows more than the 1010 w/a Sony sub...

I thought I had the signal drop figured out - it hadn't done it all evening, and then, in the middle of a Netflix movie..it dropped twice...briefly, but still...

I guess I just long for the days of turning something on, and it works...
post #141 of 362 Old 02-11-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:

I am honestly starting to think that the Sony fanboys are trying to hype this unit. My Klpisch sub-woofer pumps incredible bass from my Pioneer, but yet the 1010 makes it sound subpar, and I'm talking all bass settings set to max on the receiver and SW.

You may be right. I just know that, when I was looking for assistance with the VSX 1020...that forum had a zillion pages of people talking back & forth...and it's STILL going...

This one...we have 5...and most of us aren't happy...

Another problem is - the model numbers change every year, so it's next to impossible to get 'history' on many of these... I looked on Amazon, CNET, and elsewhere...it's tough.
post #142 of 362 Old 02-12-2011, 05:07 AM

Quote:

You may be right. I just know that, when I was looking for assistance with the VSX 1020...that forum had a zillion pages of people talking back & forth...and it's STILL going...

This one...we have 5...and most of us aren't happy...

Another problem is - the model numbers change every year, so it's next to impossible to get 'history' on many of these... I looked on Amazon, CNET, and elsewhere...it's tough.

Is the 1020 having bass issues as well?
post #143 of 362 Old 02-12-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:

Is the 1020 having bass issues as well?

Unfortunately, the 1020(s) didn't work at all...I went through 3 of them from Amazon. I've read more reviews there on it since I returned mine, some folks having the same issues...some having better luck...

I really liked that one, too....but then went with the Sony (Amazon wouldn't send me any more Pioneers - said they would 'remove' them from inventory, test, etc, but they never removed them, and I know it wasn't operator error...).
post #144 of 362 Old 02-14-2011, 11:31 AM

I'm having problems with it not playing my sub while it has Dolby Digital content playing. A BIG problem arises especially with my X360. I'm getting beyond fed up with this receiver.
post #145 of 362 Old 02-14-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icedburden View Post

I'm having problems with it not playing my sub while it has Dolby Digital content playing. A BIG problem arises especially with my X360. I'm getting beyond fed up with this receiver.

Is the bass response meager to non-existent? Do yourself a favor and bring it back if you can.
post #146 of 362 Old 02-14-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Is the bass response meager to non-existent? Do yourself a favor and bring it back if you can.
The bass response isn't lacking.... It's not there. My subwoofer slips into a coma when my 360 is on.
post #147 of 362 Old 02-14-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icedburden

The bass response isn't lacking.... It's not there. My subwoofer slips into a coma when my 360 is on.
Lol! Sorry don't mean to laugh, but that was hilarious what you said. Bring it back if you can and get yourself a real receiver.
post #148 of 362 Old 02-14-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:

Lol! Sorry don't mean to laugh, but that was hilarious what you said. Bring it back if you can and get yourself a real receiver.

It's ok man. It's seems I've been cursed lately buying ANYTHING. I got the Seagate Freeagent Theater+ (TERRIBLE AND UNRESPONSIVE), WD Live TV Plus Media Player (HDMI DOESN'T WORK) and then this garbage receiver that DOES NOT USE MY SUB HALF THE TIME! I'm looking at the Yamaha 667 but I'm sure when I buy that 35 Mini-Justin Biebers will be inside the box so when I open it they will all take turns cattle-prodding my balls... I think I should just knit instead of buying A/V equipment.
post #149 of 362 Old 02-15-2011, 03:44 AM

And I thought I had a black cloud hanging over me....

I don't think it's that we should give up on buying AV equipment...I think the manufacturer's should go back to putting QUALITY in their product, and pride in their work, instead of just PROFIT PROFIT PROFIT.

Maybe if everyone quit buying...they'd wise up...but I doubt either is going to happen in this throw-away society that we have become...
post #150 of 362 Old 02-15-2011, 06:15 AM

Quote:

And I thought I had a black cloud hanging over me....

I don't think it's that we should give up on buying AV equipment...I think the manufacturer's should go back to putting QUALITY in their product, and pride in their work, instead of just PROFIT PROFIT PROFIT.

Maybe if everyone quit buying...they'd wise up...but I doubt either is going to happen in this throw-away society that we have become...

Sony really needs to go back and look at their quality control department. Their ES line is not immune to this.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page