OFFICIAL Sony STR-DN1010 3D-Ready HDMI 1.4 Receiver Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: In order to view 3DTV content with HD audio, I...
need a new HDMI 1.4/3DTV-ready receiver 0 0%
refuse to get a new receiver (will settle for standard AC3/DTS) 0 0%
am a skeptic - my non-3DTV ready receiver will still decode HD audio 0 0%
already have a HDMI 1.4/3DTV-ready receiver 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 362 Old 03-18-2011, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just hooked up my dn1010 and I really like it. I had no problems but maybe BC I bravia sync w/ my kdl46ex500 and I only use HDMI. I'd say the main thing that helped was reading the manual from cover to cover before even touching a wire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 362 Old 03-18-2011, 05:02 PM

The only confusing part is that the manual pretty much was written in a way that it expects you to have read all sections and doesn't always give you a page to reference back to so I could see how it could be confusing if you expect to be able to flip to a page directly like I did at first
post #183 of 362 Old 03-18-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by congpham View Post

Thanks for replay, I did connect my front speakers to Front A, Surround speakers to surround, center speakers to center, subwofer to subwoffer...I did not connect anything to "Surround Back/Front High/Bi-AMP/Front B" and still keeping error 33

Hmmm, I wonder .......

Have you gone into the menu and set your system to 5.1?

Thinking that, by the "missing' speaker(s) denoted below as also throwing up the error code 33, if the receiver is interpreting via being set to something other than 5.1(which you have connected properly) that the Auto Cal is attempting to test a speaker(s) that isn't responding(there) and thus 33 is being thrown.

Code:
Error Code 33
 None of the front speakers are connected or only one front speaker is connected.
 The optimizer microphone is not connected.
 Either the surround left or surround right speaker is not connected.
 Surround back speakers or front high speakers are connected even though surround speakers are not
connected. Connect the surround speaker(s) to the SPEAKERS SURROUND terminals.
 The surround back speaker is connected only to the SPEAKERS SURROUND BACK/FRONT HIGH/
BI-AMP/FRONT B R terminals. When you connect only one surround back speaker, connect it to the
SPEAKERS SURROUND BACK/FRONT HIGH/BI-AMP/FRONT B L terminals.
 Either the front left high or front right high speaker is not connected.
post #184 of 362 Old 03-18-2011, 06:26 PM

For fear of baiting DRC72(which I'll try not to ) I'm pleased with the DN1010, having had it since mid August of last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbrunoloco View Post

I'd say the main thing that helped was reading the manual from cover to cover before even touching a wire.

hehe, then you did better than myself. And I might add, others too.

Quote:

The only confusing part is that the manual pretty much was written in a way that it expects you to have read all sections and doesn't always give you a page to reference back to so I could see how it could be confusing if you expect to be able to flip to a page directly like I did at first

Confusing? OK, I can give ya that one I guess.

What came immediately to me after perusing the manual was:
Code:
ob·fus·cate
   /ˈɒbfəˌskeɪt, ɒbˈfʌskeɪt/ Show Spelled[ob-fuh-skeyt, ob-fuhs-keyt] Show IPA
–verb (used with object), -cat·ed, -cat·ing.
to confuse, bewilder, or stupefy.
to make obscure or unclear: to obfuscate a problem with extraneous information.
to darken.
But to be fair all receiver manuals are convoluted in one way or another. It's just the nature of the beast I guess.

That, and my Wife said I didn't read the manual before connecting the wires and cables. I'm a man, what does she expect of me?
post #185 of 362 Old 03-19-2011, 06:22 AM

Liked: 11
After a few weeks I still think this receiver is great. My Onkyo 605 that I paid twice the amount for is now in my garage and I don't miss it. Those who said they were not getting enough bass must have had the settings wrong. I get the same amount of bass if not more from my Sony. I actually had to turn my sub down. I helped my buddy set his up and I noticed he had very little bass output. Once we changed his fronts from large to small problem fixed. The frequency settings are also very important. I did not use the auto calibrate, you just need to know your speakers specs.

I get Dolby Digital (3/2/1) and PCM from my Dish 722K DVR using HDMI no problems. My Wii is upscaled to 1080p and looks pretty good (not HD quality). My Onkyo made the Wii look like crap so I couldn't upscale it at all. I like the little things like input labeling and HDMI controll. Overall for the price it is great. The true test will be how many years I get out of it. The only thing I would like a bit more control of the equalizer. Not much tweaking available in that area but enough to get decent sound.

No matter what receiver you buy you will find a ton of negative reviews. They all seem to have some sort of glitch or issue.
post #186 of 362 Old 03-19-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post

Hmmm, I wonder .......

Have you gone into the menu and set your system to 5.1?

Thinking that, by the "missing' speaker(s) denoted below as also throwing up the error code 33, if the receiver is interpreting via being set to something other than 5.1(which you have connected properly) that the Auto Cal is attempting to test a speaker(s) that isn't responding(there) and thus 33 is being thrown.

Error Code 33
None of the front speakers are connected or only one front speaker is connected.
The optimizer microphone is not connected.
Either the surround left or surround right speaker is not connected.
Surround back speakers or front high speakers are connected even though surround speakers are not
connected. Connect the surround speaker(s) to the SPEAKERS SURROUND terminals.
The surround back speaker is connected only to the SPEAKERS SURROUND BACK/FRONT HIGH/
BI-AMP/FRONT B R terminals. When you connect only one surround back speaker, connect it to the
SPEAKERS SURROUND BACK/FRONT HIGH/BI-AMP/FRONT B L terminals.
Either the front left high or front right high speaker is not connected.

I have same error and should have 5.1 also but I went on the GUI to change it to 5.1 but could not find it, is it on the GUI where I am supposed to change it? Thanks.
post #187 of 362 Old 03-19-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieruiz001 View Post

I have same error and should have 5.1 also but I went on the GUI to change it to 5.1 but could not find it, is it on the GUI where I am supposed to change it? Thanks.

GUI > Settings > Speaker > SP Pattern > 3/2.1
post #188 of 362 Old 03-19-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:

GUI > Settings > Speaker > SP Pattern > 3/2.1

Thanks alot...it still gave me error 33 Front but I just set it up manually and it sounds much better switching it to 5.1
post #189 of 362 Old 03-19-2011, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

For fear of baiting DRC72(which I'll try not to ) I'm pleased with the DN1010, having had it since mid August of last year.

hehe, then you did better than myself. And I might add, others too.

Confusing? OK, I can give ya that one I guess.

What came immediately to me after perusing the manual was:
Code:
ob·fus·cate
   /ˈɒbfəˌskeɪt, ɒbˈfʌskeɪt/ Show Spelled[ob-fuh-skeyt, ob-fuhs-keyt] Show IPA
-verb (used with object), -cat·ed, -cat·ing.
to confuse, bewilder, or stupefy.
to make obscure or unclear: to obfuscate a problem with extraneous information.
to darken.
But to be fair all receiver manuals are convoluted in one way or another. It's just the nature of the beast I guess.

That, and my Wife said I didn't read the manual before connecting the wires and cables. I'm a man, what does she expect of me?

LOL!!! No worries man...... I'm glad the receiver worked out for. I basically got a lemon when I bought mine. I've tried every setting possible and could not get my sub to respond with strong bass. When I hooked up the same sub to my Pioneer bass was beyond plentiful. I think Sony had a bad batch of receivers somewhere along the line, but anyhow I still think the DN1010 is garbage
post #190 of 362 Old 03-19-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:

Thanks alot...it still gave me error 33 Front but I just set it up manually and it sounds much better switching it to 5.1

That's good.

If you have the time and patience would you re-run the Auto Cal, but this time double check that the Auto Cal's microphone plug is fully inserted into the jack.

C'Net did a review of a STR-DG920 where this "Error Code 33" appeared while performing the Auto Cal for the review. It was discovered that they didn't have the microphone plug fully inserted. Auto Cal worked as it should after re-inserting the mic plug and making sure it was fully inserted.

Fingers crossed this is your problem. The jack is in a slightly awkward recessed location.

Just trying to help.
post #191 of 362 Old 03-19-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post

LOL!!! No worries man...... I'm glad the receiver worked out for. I basically got a lemon when I bought mine. I've tried every setting possible and could not get my sub to respond with strong bass. When I hooked up the same sub to my Pioneer bass was beyond plentiful. I think Sony had a bad batch of receivers somewhere along the line,

Sh*t happens . I was reading along when you you were posting your troubles with that.

While certainly not providing any usable necessities here, had I gotten the Wife's acceptance to spend what a VSX-33 cost I just maybe might have.

The 1010 yourself, I, and others here did purchase, albeit yours defective, did or must have at that moment meet our expectant needs and or wants. Otherwise we wouldn't have bought it. Like you, I've been with Sony(home audio anyways) for a long long time.

I'm impressed with its features and performance. The 1010 is what I consider a mid-range receiver at a decent price. Definitely not one of the low-ball models and certainly not top shelf, it fit our needs and fell within our budgets.

I'm not an audiophile. No Salk speakers here. Or speaker cables that cost a weeks salary, per pair. My acoustics you ask. Huh, acoustics? No I didn't build or modify a room for optimizing my viewing and listening experience. Would I like to do the preceding three things, h*ll yea I would.

Until that time comes, and it will, the living room does double duty.

Quote:

but anyhow I still think the DN1010 is garbage

Like the energizer bunny you are
post #192 of 362 Old 03-19-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:

That's good.

If you have the time and patience would you re-run the Auto Cal, but this time double check that the Auto Cal's microphone plug is fully inserted into the jack.

C'Net did a review of a STR-DG920 where this "Error Code 33" appeared while performing the Auto Cal for the review. It was discovered that they didn't have the microphone plug fully inserted. Auto Cal worked as it should after re-inserting the mic plug and making sure it was fully inserted.

Fingers crossed this is your problem. The jack is in a slightly awkward recessed location.

Just trying to help.

Well I went ahead and looked at the mic which was exactly my issue...plugged it in and auto tuned worked with no errors...I appreciate you taking the time to help me fix my issue with my surround sound...no more wondering what was the problem if I had everything connected the way it should...thanks again
post #193 of 362 Old 03-20-2011, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Sh*t happens . I was reading along when you you were posting your troubles with that.

While certainly not providing any usable necessities here, had I gotten the Wife's acceptance to spend what a VSX-33 cost I just maybe might have.

The 1010 yourself, I, and others here did purchase, albeit yours defective, did or must have at that moment meet our expectant needs and or wants. Otherwise we wouldn't have bought it. Like you, I've been with Sony(home audio anyways) for a long long time.

I'm impressed with its features and performance. The 1010 is what I consider a mid-range receiver at a decent price. Definitely not one of the low-ball models and certainly not top shelf, it fit our needs and fell within our budgets.

I'm not an audiophile. No Salk speakers here. Or speaker cables that cost a weeks salary, per pair. My acoustics you ask. Huh, acoustics? No I didn't build or modify a room for optimizing my viewing and listening experience. Would I like to do the preceding three things, h*ll yea I would.

Until that time comes, and it will, the living room does double duty.

Like the energizer bunny you are
Haha!!! My opinion has not changed of course..... One lemon I can deal with with, but two?
post #194 of 362 Old 03-20-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Well I went ahead and looked at the mic which was exactly my issue...plugged it in and auto tuned worked with no errors...I appreciate you taking the time to help me fix my issue with my surround sound...no more wondering what was the problem if I had everything connected the way it should...thanks again
Music to my ears.

.... No

Music to your ears.
post #195 of 362 Old 03-20-2011, 11:57 PM

Dadgum good luck making a 2011 Sony bluray hook up to this. Its bad ass but just as hard. Wife acceptance out the window
post #196 of 362 Old 03-21-2011, 04:27 AM

Quote:

Dadgum good luck making a 2011 Sony bluray hook up to this. Its bad ass but just as hard. Wife acceptance out the window

Ha. Let me guess .... She's like mine, something about needing a "dozen" remotes "to do any g*d damn thing with it"?

Hint! She absolutely loves it after I got a Harmony remote and programmed it to "Stream Movies", "Stream Music", "Watch TV", and "BD and Netflix"

Wanna start a fight there? After grabbing the remote from her hand, under your breath mumble "Women will never rule the world if they can't even figure out how to turn their friggin stereo on" (at all costs, this is not recommended)
post #197 of 362 Old 03-21-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:

Haha!!! My opinion has not changed of course..... One lemon I can deal with with, but two?

No way to prove it but I would bet it was your setup and not two bad receivers.
post #198 of 362 Old 03-21-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezzmin View Post

My Pioneer works perfectly with my setup... My first Sony never gave me a lick of trouble. My second Sony which was an ES model sounded great, but was way under-powered(recall on power issue that I was never contacted about by Sony, until I found out to late), and after awhile popping sound was coming from my right surround and back surround speaker in Dolby Digital mode. It was a cool looking receiver, but Sony still needed to work out the issues with the digital drive amplifiers. The DN1010's lack off bass from the SW was my major gripe, and no it was not the sub as it works perfectly with my Pioneer and my previous Sony ES model. As stated in my previous post, setting changes yielded very little results. It's been proved.
post #199 of 362 Old 03-21-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:

cosign!
post #200 of 362 Old 03-21-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

cosign!

Quote:

One lemon I can deal with with, but two?

I just couldn't resist stacking 'em up that way.

Guys, he laid it out his problem here and had tried all that was suggested as solutions by others here.

We should thank our lucky stars it wasn't one of us going through the same ordeal. Like I said earlier, sh*t happens. Give him credit for buying one and going the distance with it.

It's a tough nasty slog to spend that much money, get it home, and then to have gone through those pains.

No one does -that- to increase their post count.
post #201 of 362 Old 03-22-2011, 03:40 AM

Quote:

I just couldn't resist stacking 'em up that way.

Guys, he laid it out his problem here and had tried all that was suggested as solutions by others here.

We should thank our lucky stars it wasn't one of us going through the same ordeal. Like I said earlier, sh*t happens. Give him credit for buying one and going the distance with it.

It's a tough nasty slog to spend that much money, get it home, and then to have gone through those pains.

No one does -that- to increase their post count.

Yes you should thank your lucky stars your pieces of crap are working(whoops). Damn slip of the tongue, I mean dn1010. Gotta hit that all important 100.
post #202 of 362 Old 03-22-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:

After a few weeks I still think this receiver is great. My Onkyo 605 that I paid twice the amount for is now in my garage and I don't miss it. Those who said they were not getting enough bass must have had the settings wrong. I get the same amount of bass if not more from my Sony. I actually had to turn my sub down. I helped my buddy set his up and I noticed he had very little bass output. Once we changed his fronts from large to small problem fixed. The frequency settings are also very important. I did not use the auto calibrate, you just need to know your speakers specs.

I get Dolby Digital (3/2/1) and PCM from my Dish 722K DVR using HDMI no problems. My Wii is upscaled to 1080p and looks pretty good (not HD quality). My Onkyo made the Wii look like crap so I couldn't upscale it at all. I like the little things like input labeling and HDMI controll. Overall for the price it is great. The true test will be how many years I get out of it. The only thing I would like a bit more control of the equalizer. Not much tweaking available in that area but enough to get decent sound.

No matter what receiver you buy you will find a ton of negative reviews. They all seem to have some sort of glitch or issue.

Been trying to figure out where and how to change speakers from large to small in settings....can you explain , please?

thanks,
post #203 of 362 Old 03-22-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieDoin View Post

Been trying to figure out where and how to change speakers from large to small in settings....can you explain , please?

GUI > Settings > Speaker > Manual Setting

Navigating in this subsection uses a combination of the L, R, Up, Down and +(as Enter) buttons.
post #204 of 362 Old 03-22-2011, 06:03 PM

Wardog beat me to it. Give the GUI on screen menu a few seconds to load and everything you need is found in settings.
post #205 of 362 Old 03-22-2011, 06:36 PM

Here's a convenient list of the available options of the On-Screen GUI Menu accessed using the DN1010's remote.

Beginning on page 89 of the on-line manual HERE is described in greater depth the settings found in the GUI Menu.

A more fluid PDF of the below can be found HERE.

Auto Cal.
-- Auto Cal. Start (See Footnote #2)
-- Auto Cal. Type
-- Position
-- Name Input

Speaker
-- SP Pattern
-- SB Assign
-- Manual Setup
--------- Lvl
--------- Dist
--------- Size (See Footnote #1)
-- Crossover Freq
-- Test Tone
--------- Test Tone
--------- Phase Noise
--------- Phase Audio
-- D.Range Comp
-- Distance Unit

Surround
-- S.F. Select
--------- Sound Field
--------- Effect Level (See Footnote #1)

EQ
-- Gain (Bass/Treble)

Audio
-- A/V Sync
-- Dual Mono
-- Dec. Priority

Video
-- Resolution
-- Comp.Dec.

HDMI
-- Ctrl for HDMI
-- Pass Through
-- Audio Out
-- SW Level
-- SW L.P.F.
-- ARC

System
Auto Standby

S-AIR
-- S-AIR ID
-- Pairing
-- S-AIR Mode
-- RF Change
-- S-AIR Stby

Footnotes:
*1 Menu parameters displayed on the TV screen vary, depending on the current settings or the status of the selected icon.
*2 For Position 1
post #206 of 362 Old 03-23-2011, 02:15 PM

I'm still having my stupid HDMI issues, and it is random, and seems to be getting worse. I'm going to end up having to take it to a repair shop...This whole AVR purchasing experience has been the single worst experience that I've ever had...
post #207 of 362 Old 03-23-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:

GUI > Settings > Speaker > Manual Setting

Navigating in this subsection uses a combination of the L, R, Up, Down and +(as Enter) buttons.

thanks very much....cheers!
post #208 of 362 Old 03-24-2011, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdjman View Post

I'm still having my stupid HDMI issues, and it is random, and seems to be getting worse.

I've read back through the thread. If I can ask, which one(s)?
post #209 of 362 Old 03-24-2011, 05:52 AM

Quote:

I do have one question. What is SW L.P.F. really used for?

In short so I don't find myself explaining that slippery slope, the DN1010's "SW L.P.F." setting will keep frequencies above 120Hz from being sent to your sub.

I have it set "On" as my sub can't reproduce over 200Hz. My 5.1 setup, MINE, the acoustics sound less "rumbly' and more what I think the soundtrack should sound, theater-like, as when I set my 3/2's to "Small" and let the sub(.1) itself receive and reproduce the LFE channel.
post #210 of 362 Old 03-24-2011, 06:49 AM

Quote:

I've read back through the thread. If I can ask, which one(s)?

No matter what order I power things on, the signal coming from the 1010 drops (the speaker diagram goes away, the HDMI light goes out, etc). It's random. Doesn't always happen. Sometimes happens more than once. Sometimes comes back on and stays, sometimes goes in/out intermittently.

I have done the system reset. I have reset the HDMI stuff, etc., still happens, and it is annoying... Doesn't matter whether it's Dish, PS3, DVD player...whatever...

I have had nothing but bad luck with my AVR purchase...it started with a Pioneer VSX 1020...3 of them...that didn't work. Then, I went with the 1010, as I have a Sony TV...and this issue is driving me nutz.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page