OFFICIAL Sony STR-DN1010 3D-Ready HDMI 1.4 Receiver Thread - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: In order to view 3DTV content with HD audio, I...
need a new HDMI 1.4/3DTV-ready receiver 0 0%
refuse to get a new receiver (will settle for standard AC3/DTS) 0 0%
am a skeptic - my non-3DTV ready receiver will still decode HD audio 0 0%
already have a HDMI 1.4/3DTV-ready receiver 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 362 Old 06-07-2010, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The product has finally been posted at SonyStyle.com with full specs. Pending resolution at the discussion here, it looks as though anyone upgrading to 3DTV will need a receiver like this with so-called "3D passthrough," and there are very few of them so far. Seems like a brewing storm to me (i.e., anyone who takes their audio seriously and wants HD sound via HDMI will need to upgrade their receiver).

Sony STR-DN1010 at SonyStyle.com
Owner's Manual [PDF]
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 362 Old 06-10-2010, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is it just me or no one cares about this receiver? I happened to order this one because it seems affordable.
post #3 of 362 Old 06-10-2010, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdqnx View Post

Is it just me or no one cares about this receiver? I happened to order this one because it seems affordable.

It's just that it hasn't shipped until very recently. I just got mine in the mail today - and that was in advance of it being available at SonyStyle.com. I can't say enough how people are underestimating the brewing storm when all existing A/V receivers, and most all the 2010 models (save for this one and a scant few others), will kill HDMI 1.4 3DTV output as it grabs the HD audio from Blu-Ray and other 3D components.
post #4 of 362 Old 06-11-2010, 12:43 PM

Just got this receiver this week and I'm having a slight problem related to video switching. To keep it simple I'm only going to show my setup with my Samsung HL-T5087S, PS3, and D* DVR.

DVR HDMI -> TV HDMI1
DN1010 HDMI out -> TV HDMI2
PS3 HDMI -> DN1010 HDMI1

If we're watching the DVR and I change the source on the receiver the TV switches to HDMI2 and I have to tell the TV to switch back. I'd rather it didn't switch at all.

I've also tried the following setup using the HDMI passthrough on

DVR HDMI -> DN1010 HDMI1
PS3 HDMI -> DN1010 HDMI2
DN1010 HDMI out -> TV HDMI1

The problem I have with this setup is that I have to select HDMI1 before putting the receiver into standby mode otherwise I have to turn the receiver back on, select HDMI1, and then put it into standby mode

Does anyone know if there is a way to either force the receiver to only passthrough HDMI1 when in standby mode or keep my TV from auto switching?

If it helps I'm using a Harmony remote, so if there's any way to have the remote help me out, that would be just as good. Like being able to tell the receiver to switch to HDMI1 before turning "off"

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions
post #5 of 362 Old 06-11-2010, 01:29 PM

Question:

Does the GUI Menu overlay the source display ?

That is if you are watching TV and press GUI Menu can you still see and hear the TV while manipulating the GUI Menu selections ?
post #6 of 362 Old 06-11-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobv1 View Post

Question:

Does the GUI Menu overlay the source display ?

That is if you are watching TV and press GUI Menu can you still see and hear the TV while manipulating the GUI Menu selections ?

Nope. I just bought this receiver and I like it so far. The GUI has a black screen in the background. Frankly, the GUI is a pain in the rear. I much prefer holding 1,2,3,etc to store something as preset 1,2,3,etc. Why add 5 button clicks to do the same thing?

I'm chatting with Sony support right now, though. Their remote has codes for Dish receivers but the manual has nothing for DirecTV. Seems real stupid. Their support told me there are no codes for Directv. How the hell does that happen?

I'll try to post some more once I play with it a bit but I just finished hooking stuff up.
post #7 of 362 Old 06-13-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxell View Post

Just got this receiver this week and I'm having a slight problem related to video switching. To keep it simple I'm only going to show my setup with my Samsung HL-T5087S, PS3, and D* DVR.

DVR HDMI -> TV HDMI1
DN1010 HDMI out -> TV HDMI2
PS3 HDMI -> DN1010 HDMI1

If we're watching the DVR and I change the source on the receiver the TV switches to HDMI2 and I have to tell the TV to switch back. I'd rather it didn't switch at all.

I've also tried the following setup using the HDMI passthrough on

DVR HDMI -> DN1010 HDMI1
PS3 HDMI -> DN1010 HDMI2
DN1010 HDMI out -> TV HDMI1

The problem I have with this setup is that I have to select HDMI1 before putting the receiver into standby mode otherwise I have to turn the receiver back on, select HDMI1, and then put it into standby mode

Does anyone know if there is a way to either force the receiver to only passthrough HDMI1 when in standby mode or keep my TV from auto switching?

If it helps I'm using a Harmony remote, so if there's any way to have the remote help me out, that would be just as good. Like being able to tell the receiver to switch to HDMI1 before turning "off"

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions

Turns out the HDMI Ctl was causing the problem. I've turned off the HDMI Ctl. While that doesn't let me do the pass through, I can at least keep the TV from changing sources when I don't want it to
post #8 of 362 Old 06-21-2010, 07:38 AM

Hi All,
I am Newbee and bought this recievers a week ago. I am not using HDMI at this point and only using component videos. Tv is on thru reciever but no sound coming from the speakers. the other problem I have with GUI and menu on. I would like to display the menu on my TV and have read the manual many times and still not get the reciever menu on my tv screen. any help would be appreciated it.
post #9 of 362 Old 06-21-2010, 07:45 AM

Glad to be a part of this forum.

I also just purchased and set up the STR-DN1010 and for the most part things seem to be working OK. I play my TV through the HDMI connection and the picture quality is as good as I expected.

The problem is with the GUI. I've pressed the GUI button on the remote and toggled the Menu On/Off button many times but all I get is a black screen with nothing on it. I've tried doing the same thing through the other two HDMI connections I am using (DVD/Apple TV) with the same results.

The manual is no help here - any thoughts?
post #10 of 362 Old 06-21-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sufisahib View Post

Hi All,
I am Newbee and bought this recievers a week ago. I am not using HDMI at this point and only using component videos. Tv is on thru reciever but no sound coming from the speakers. the other problem I have with GUI and menu on. I would like to display the menu on my TV and have read the manual many times and still not get the reciever menu on my tv screen. any help would be appreciated it.

Having the same problem - let me know if you hear of a fix!
post #11 of 362 Old 06-21-2010, 07:51 AM

Problem #2: I don't have room for true rear speakers, so I set up speakers #6 & 7 as fron high speakers. In trying to get the receiver to recognize them, I've tried toggling the speaker select button on the front panel, but I can only choose either "Speaker A" or "Speaker off" - can't choose "Speaker B."

Again, the manual is unclear on how to get this right. I've done the auto calibration, and it recognizes the FH speakers as surround back speakers.

Any help here?
post #12 of 362 Old 06-22-2010, 09:04 AM

The STR DH510 and STR DH710 will be getting 3D upgrades so i dont see the point in spending the extra 200-300 bucks
post #13 of 362 Old 06-22-2010, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAMOS1 View Post

The STR DH510 and STR DH710 will be getting 3D upgrades so i dont see the point in spending the extra 200-300 bucks

Need citation.
post #14 of 362 Old 06-23-2010, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosenkenny View Post

Glad to be a part of this forum.

I also just purchased and set up the STR-DN1010 and for the most part things seem to be working OK. I play my TV through the HDMI connection and the picture quality is as good as I expected.

The problem is with the GUI. I've pressed the GUI button on the remote and toggled the Menu On/Off button many times but all I get is a black screen with nothing on it. I've tried doing the same thing through the other two HDMI connections I am using (DVD/Apple TV) with the same results.

The manual is no help here - any thoughts?

Did you wait a few seconds for the GUI menu to appear on the TV before pressing the button again?
post #15 of 362 Old 06-25-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosenkenny View Post

Problem #2: I don't have room for true rear speakers, so I set up speakers #6 & 7 as fron high speakers. In trying to get the receiver to recognize them, I've tried toggling the speaker select button on the front panel, but I can only choose either "Speaker A" or "Speaker off" - can't choose "Speaker B."

Again, the manual is unclear on how to get this right. I've done the auto calibration, and it recognizes the FH speakers as surround back speakers.

Any help here?

You can make the high speakers active by choosing the right speaker pattern. If you have configured this already, "Speaker B" is not an option. If you want to enable "Speaker B" or A+B, you'll need to choose a pattern that doesn't include these 2 speakers (3/2/1 only). The manual is clunky at best, that's for sure.
post #16 of 362 Old 07-01-2010, 06:29 PM

I am having a problem with basic channel function. I assume this involves an easy fix but need your help: I have the STR-DN1010 hooked up in the following sequence

Cable Box (Motorola Starfone Model SFT2 - "Interactive Digital Communications") AV 3 Cable OUT -> CATV IN STR-DN1010 HDMI -> HDMI LG 37LC2D LCD TV

My TV set is to receive HDMI input

When I switch channels (using the cable box, is that correct?) the sound is fine the but all I get is a blank screen (with appropriate sound playing) for most channels. It doesn't matter how long I leave it on a particular channel. Some channels do come in but most don't.

In short, I am currently unable to watch cable through the receiver - help appreciated!
post #17 of 362 Old 07-25-2010, 10:00 AM

My feedback so far

1) onscreen menus do not work if connect to TV via component. It is disclosed in the manual via a blurb that onscreen menus work only via HDMI. Direct manual configuration from receiver is not all that hard but just not as intuitive i expect as onscreen.

2) URC IR code. For those that use the URC MX900,950 and other programable remotes, the existing db of sony receiver ir codes do not appear to work on this receiver. Workaround will likely be direct capture. Old sony ir codes have always worked on new receiver models so this was a surprise.
post #18 of 362 Old 07-29-2010, 09:34 AM

I know I know.. HDMI r0x0rs and everything but I still have an old vhs machine (composite cables) I'd like to keep plugged in for the kids' dusty tapes. I also have a Wii using component cables (no digital audio for Wii).
I've been learning the ins and outs of the input assignments. it makes sense when you are using component video + optical/digital audio. You see all the Video IN options on the left, and when you pick one you have a selection of digital Audio IN's on the right (well, 3 digital, 1 analog). It doesn't seem to let you map any of the analog audio sources. If you choose it I think it came in on the TV composite plugs. So does that essentially mean you have only one analog IN that's mappable for 3 composite Video IN's? That should be stated somewhere but I'm finding a lot of broad statements like: plug into the component Video IN, then configure the Input Mapping in the Menu (not saying the limitations there

Still liking it a lot

Thanks!
post #19 of 362 Old 07-29-2010, 09:47 AM

another FYI on menus (although I'm sure most of you figured it out). if it's not showing up on HDMI TV (only place it *would* show up), hit GUI so the receiver shows GUI off. then hit menu and you can use the receiver's display to do most of the same tasks. it's not as pretty but it works

I am still having a few growing pains. Playing MP3's on the PS3 it tends to revert to stereo output because it's getting digital in so it automagically selects everything. you can use the sound +/- buttons on the remote to turn on the 5.1 speakers, but it doesn't seem to "stick" that way.

Note to others: only the PS3 Slim has HDMI 1.4.. so Bravia Sync isn't an option on the old black room heaters HDMI works great with it though. I saw that a year ago and forgot, having dreams of powering up the PS3 and having everything else turn on to match it.

using an older DVD player with component outputs+digical coax audio - I would prefer it displayed 4:3 content with black bar sides but that doesn't seem to be an option for component. If I got a sony bluray or dvd player with HDMI, does it display 4:3 content (eg old TV shows on DVD) as full height with black bar sides? I'm using a Sony KDL-40EX400 which is handing all control over to the receiver. I'm *trying* to keep the TV down to one HDMI in from the receiver and manage it all from there. I'm also not really seeing where the receiver controls the TV (aside from automagic stuff like on/off). I thought you were supposed to be able to control the other device to some extent? must be in the buttons at the top of the remote which I still don't quite get
thanks!
post #20 of 362 Old 08-04-2010, 03:31 AM

Hi dear US DN1010 owners,
I just want to buy this great receiver but, as any poor european dude, Sony thought I was a fool and didn't annonce yet when it will be available in my country (France btw) and when I will have a chance to buy it it could cost me about 600 (nearly 800$). And I know it is available for UK but it is not realy Europe, isn't it ?
Yeah I know we are stupid customers, we wait several month more than you do buy stuff (Nissan GTR for exemple) and we pay them 30 to 50% more...
When I saw that I could buy this for 334$ at buy.com I thougt WTF and with shipping rates and taxes I could have it for less than 300.

So my question is realy simple, the power supply for your receivers (U2 or CA2 area code) is made for 120V 60Hz but does anyone know if it could deal with 230V 50Hz ? In that case I will just have to buy an european cable or a simple adaptator.
Otherwise it could be a lot more complicated and expensive for me.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
post #21 of 362 Old 08-04-2010, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoX_LorrY View Post

Hi dear US DN1010 owners,
I just want to buy this great receiver but, as any poor european dude, Sony thought I was a fool and didn't annonce yet when it will be available in my country (France btw) and when I will have a chance to buy it it could cost me about 600 (nearly 800$). And I know it is available for UK but it is not realy Europe, isn't it ?
Yeah I know we are stupid customers, we wait several month more than you do buy stuff (Nissan GTR for exemple) and we pay them 30 to 50% more...
When I saw that I could buy this for 334$ at buy.com I thougt WTF and with shipping rates and taxes I could have it for less than 300.

So my question is realy simple, the power supply for your receivers (U2 or CA2 area code) is made for 120V 60Hz but does anyone know if it could deal with 230V 50Hz ? In that case I will just have to buy an european cable or a simple adaptator.
Otherwise it could be a lot more complicated and expensive for me.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Per the spec sheet, it appears not.
post #22 of 362 Old 08-04-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdingo View Post

Note to others: only the PS3 Slim has HDMI 1.4.. so Bravia Sync isn't an option on the old black room heaters

Not quite true, ALL PS3s where designed with upgrade in mind, the firmware upgrade will change existing PS3s to 1.4

Otherwise it wouldn't be able to transmit 3D as 1.4 is needed for the bandwidth.

Craig
post #23 of 362 Old 08-04-2010, 07:51 PM

true.. it can do some stuff but apparently none of the bravia sync features.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/3_21/settings/ctrlhdmi.html"]http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/3_21/settings/ctrlhdmi.html

Quote:
Control for HDMI

This feature is available only on the CECH-2000 series of the PS3 system.

By connecting the PS3 system and a BRAVIA TV (a Sony Corporation product) that supports the BRAVIA Sync function via an HDMI cable, you can use the remote control for the TV to operate both the PS3 system and the TV.

granted we're at 3.41 now but at 3.4 I was digging around and didn't see it in there. It can support some newer features (deep color, etc) but bravia sync requires more than just high bandwidth so I don't expect them to come out with it

I'll double check in a bit though and I really hope you're right I was hoping to get down to one remote too.. but while I can hide the TV one the PS3 remote is bluetooth so...

still loving the setup though!
post #24 of 362 Old 08-09-2010, 09:26 PM

Will this receiver show it's volume level on my tv screen when I adjust it?
I will be using only HDMI connections and the receiver won't be visible in the tv room so it would be nice to see the level adjustments.

Thanks
post #25 of 362 Old 08-10-2010, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv829 View Post

Will this receiver show it's volume level on my tv screen when I adjust it?
I will be using only HDMI connections and the receiver won't be visible in the tv room so it would be nice to see the level adjustments.

Thanks

Unfortunately, no. Compared to other Sony products (such as those using the crossbar-something-or-other), the on-screen display of this product is piss-poor.
post #26 of 362 Old 08-29-2010, 01:30 PM

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions...

My setup:

Sony-STR DN1010 (110 W / channel)
2 x Polk Monitor 60 (20-200 W)
2 x MTX Monitors (20-300 W)
Klipsch SW-350 (150W RMS, 350 W peak)

So yesterday I was playing some music for some friends and decided to see how the system sounded getting close to full blast. Turned the music up to 70 (volume max is 75) an was pretty pleased. I then walked outside for a bit to grab a drink and when I came back in (not even 5 minutes really) the receiver was turned off. I'm not sure if the protector function was engaged or not, but I verified accurate and tight connections to each speaker and the receiver, as well as ensuring the unit was plugged in through a surge protector and tried to turn the receiver on again. It made the two clicks that it usually does (one when I hit the power button, and another when the sound actually begins coming through), however, there was nothing displayed on the front panel (usually it has the input or whatever). Also there is no sound coming through, even as I tried multiple sources using the remote control. I can turn the system off again and on and it makes the usual series of clicks, but no display and no sound is not ok!!

If anyone can offer any advice I would be deeply appreciative. Thanks in advance!!
post #27 of 362 Old 08-29-2010, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstud89 View Post

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions...

My setup:

Sony-STR DN1010 (110 W / channel)
2 x Polk Monitor 60 (20-200 W)
2 x MTX Monitors (20-300 W)
Klipsch SW-350 (150W RMS, 350 W peak)

So yesterday I was playing some music for some friends and decided to see how the system sounded getting close to full blast. Turned the music up to 70 (volume max is 75) an was pretty pleased. I then walked outside for a bit to grab a drink and when I came back in (not even 5 minutes really) the receiver was turned off. I'm not sure if the protector function was engaged or not, but I verified accurate and tight connections to each speaker and the receiver, as well as ensuring the unit was plugged in through a surge protector and tried to turn the receiver on again. It made the two clicks that it usually does (one when I hit the power button, and another when the sound actually begins coming through), however, there was nothing displayed on the front panel (usually it has the input or whatever). Also there is no sound coming through, even as I tried multiple sources using the remote control. I can turn the system off again and on and it makes the usual series of clicks, but no display and no sound is not ok!!

If anyone can offer any advice I would be deeply appreciative. Thanks in advance!!

I think there is a sleep/power saver setting in the STR-DN1010's menus. I get the same problem after periods of inactivity, even while watching a BD through HDMI.
post #28 of 362 Old 09-05-2010, 07:55 AM

I'm at the "fit to be tied' point with this receiver and trying to get standby pass-thru

Motorola DCH-3416 DVR > HDMI > DN1010 HDMI3 (TV on Remote)
Asus O!Play(FW 1.24) > HDMI > DN1010 HDMI1 (BD on Remote)
Hitachi P50H401A(No ARC capability) > HDMI Out on the DN1010

I'm getting a picture but no audio at the TV. I've also tried connecting both the Motorola and Asus opticals to the DN1010 without luck. Currently only have HDMI's connected again, no opticals.

Probably staring me right in the face, but I'm so cross-eyed atm I wouldn't know it if it bit me.

As it stands now I may as well reconnect my DE885 and get the Wife off my back for spending the $$$ on the DN1010.

Anyone with ideas/suggestions/knowledge ?
post #29 of 362 Old 09-05-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post

I'm at the "fit to be tied' point with this receiver and trying to get standby pass-thru

Motorola DCH-3416 DVR > HDMI > DN1010 HDMI3 (TV on Remote)
Asus O!Play(FW 1.24) > HDMI > DN1010 HDMI1 (BD on Remote)
Hitachi P50H401A(No ARC capability) > HDMI Out on the DN1010

I'm getting a picture but no audio at the TV. I've also tried connecting both the Motorola and Asus opticals to the DN1010 without luck. Currently only have HDMI's connected again, no opticals.

Probably staring me right in the face, but I'm so cross-eyed atm I wouldn't know it if it bit me.

As it stands now I may as well reconnect my DE885 and get the Wife off my back for spending the $$$ on the DN1010.

Anyone with ideas/suggestions/knowledge ?

So everything is on HDMI? If so, that's how mine is set up. On the remote, I use HDMI 1, 2, 3, 4. This lets me pass thru. Using BD or or SAT/CAT Tv, I also do not get sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by - hpmoon - View Post

I think there is a sleep/power saver setting in the STR-DN1010's menus. I get the same problem after periods of inactivity, even while watching a BD through HDMI.

I did not have issues with sources on HDMI. But sources connected via component would turn off after a few minutes, even after confirming the sytem has Auto-Standby to off. I re-initialized my DN1010 (hold the down the power until the LCD said "cleared" or something like that).
post #30 of 362 Old 09-08-2010, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
This receiver has a DM-Port (Sony Digital Media port) that the press release states will support adapters like Bluetooth (ex. A2DP music streaming from your iPhone)

However, the required bluetooth adapter (TDM-BT1) is discontinued by Sony (called them and they said no plans to replace it).. it cannot be found for purchase anywhere on the internet.

So the only solution for iphone music is the clumby, old fashioned Iphone dock?? Surprising a new receiver would not support Bluetooth since this is clearly an easier/superior connection that most other receivers support.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page