Denon receiver & Samsung's Anynet conflicts? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 06-14-2010, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm running Samsung's new 3d BRD (6900), an xbox 360 and HD CATV box through a Denon 3310ci, all devices are HDMI going into the Denon and a single HDMI monitor out cable from Denon to a Samsung 7000 plasma's #1 input.

So it's great. I can change sources with the Denon and the TV is quick to auto detect and display the different sources.

EXCEPT when I change sources to either the xbox or the cable box AND THEN shut off the Samsung BRD. At this point the TV detects that I have shut down the BRD, and it announces "disconnecting anynet device" and it's display goes blank (but doesn't shut off), until I manually select the source (the same source it was already displaying). Mind you it has already been displaying either the CATV or xbox signal for 5 minutes or 5 hours. It doesn't matter, as soon as I shut off the BRD, it kills whatever is being displayed.

I don't understand how the TV and BRD are talking to each other even though the BRD isn't selected as a source on the Denon receiver, and why would the TV decide to shut down the xbox 360 or CATV signal that it's already displaying?

I suppose I could shut off the anynet feature. But I though this was strange.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-14-2010, 08:15 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked: 1493
The general rule of thumb with Samsung HDTV's is to simply turn Anynet+ OFF as it causes more problems than it's worth.

For more questions or to learn more about your new 3310, be sure to check out the Denon 3310/990 Owner's thread.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 14 Old 06-14-2010, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 132
^^^ +1, turn off AnyNet+ and purchase a Harmony remote (One is @ a low price 148)
post #4 of 14 Old 12-30-2010, 05:27 PM

I have the same issue and I'm very happy with the general rule of thumb to turn off Anynet as I've found any time the technology tries to think "for you" it proves itself mentally challenged.

Anyway, when I turn off Anynet, I get no sound to my receiver at all. Period.

I change audio out from TV to External Speaker, and no change.

I have an optical cable going from the Samsung tv op-out to Denon receiver op-in. I have that Denon set up to receive an optical signal for the tv (as proven that sound works fine with Anynet on, but doesn't with Anynet off).

Any suggestions as to why I can't get sound without the God-awful Anynet feature turned on?
post #5 of 14 Old 01-02-2011, 08:08 PM

When you turn off Anynet+ you are also turning off the Audio Return Channel (ARC) so no audio will get to your receiver.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-02-2011, 09:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 388
That should only apply to HDMI, not optical. Maybe he was always sending HDMI audio from the TV to the receiver and didnt' realize it?

There has a be a setting on the TV to send audio out of the optical out only.

Afro GT
post #7 of 14 Old 01-05-2011, 11:24 PM

Strange, Anynet should not detect his non-Samsung, like with me (Marantz SR 7005 ). No detection = no option to activate ARC.
With sound set from "TV" to "external" the sound should be directed to optical out.
Could try: no HDMI connection & optical connection intact. Any sound?
post #8 of 14 Old 01-06-2011, 03:59 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlchemistII View Post

Strange, Anynet should not detect his non-Samsung, like with me (Marantz SR 7005 ). No detection = no option to activate ARC.

Although this is noted in the Samsung owner's manual as being the case when non-Samsung, it apparently has no issue detecting Denon AVRs.

"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 14 Old 01-06-2011, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Although this is noted in the Samsung owner's manual as being the case when non-Samsung, it apparently has no issue detecting Denon AVRs.

+1--my Samsung PN58C8000 plasma detects my Denon 3808ci with Anynet turned on and HDMI Connect enabled on the Denon side.

Side note--when I throw my Samsung 7900 Blu-ray player into the mix (brief summary--it has two HDMI outputs...I have one going straight to the TV, the other to my AVR...this is so that I can experience both 3D and high-def audio from my Blu-ray player since the 3808 is not capable of correctly identifying/processing 3D video signals) and enable Anynet and HDMI Connect--for whatever reason the BR player does not output audio from its HDMI 2 port to the AVR (the AVR display indicates that it no longer detects an audio input signal). I tried enabling one and disabling the other (and vice-versa)--no go; only if I disable both does the Blu-ray player then output audio from its HDMI 2 to the AVR.

Tony
post #10 of 14 Old 01-06-2011, 11:55 AM

I have a PN58C8000 and when I connect the 3311CI to HDMI 2 (ARC) it continuously turns receiver off and on, but receiver works on other ports. Anynet is off. Denon has no answer and says it's a Samsung problem and Samsung says its a Denon porblem. Anyone have any ideas? Did reset microprocessor. I have a 1.4a cable.
post #11 of 14 Old 01-06-2011, 12:07 PM
585-645-1006

If Anynet+ is OFF then you're not utilizing the ARC feature so why not just use one of the HDMI ports that doesn't cause this issue?

"JD" –

post #12 of 14 Old 01-06-2011, 11:27 PM

Good point. The other 3 ports will work with Anynet. The ARC port will not work with it on or off. I even tried AVR's HDMI control in both on and of. Called Denon back and talked to another tech, they had no answer.
post #13 of 14 Old 01-09-2011, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

FWIW--I figured out how to resolve my issue w/ my Denon AVR not detecting audio from the Samsung 7900 Blu-ray player's HDMI 2 audio out port when enabling HDMI CEC...I enabled Anynet+ on my Samsung display, but left it disabled/off on the 7900, and turned off HDMI CEC on my AVR (on the Denon it's labeled "HDMI Control"); now I can listen to audio from the 7900 via the TV speakers when I don't want to turn on the AVR, and the AVR can now detect and output audio sent from the 7900 (again, via the 7900's HDMI 2 port) during those times when I want to listen to surround sound (the TV correctly disables the TV speakers when I turn on the AVR to listen to audio sent to it from the 7900).

Tony
post #14 of 14 Old 03-02-2013, 08:57 AM

Toneman you ROCK. This has been driving me nuts. We just had to hit the help on the One when initially turning on the system. Your suggestion for turning off the HDMI Control on the Denon did the trick. Thanks.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page