HK AVR 635 monitor output problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-17-2010, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
On my HK AVR 635, the video monitor output is acting up. It seems to "lose sync" ie picture goes from right to left, and is shifted vertically, on both the S-video and Component monitor output. This happens after say 10 minutes of good output. If I turn power off and back on, the problem goes away for a bit.

Happens to both OSD and actual video signal.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-17-2010, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Try a processor RESET..
Note that then you will have to rerun EZ-Set EQ and reprogram the station presets..

Just my $0.00...
post #3 of 10 Old 06-17-2010, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Already did that but didn't help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

Try a processor RESET..
Note that then you will have to rerun EZ-Set EQ and reprogram the station presets..

Just my $0.00...

post #4 of 10 Old 06-17-2010, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Are there any decent repair shops in the SF Bay Area for Harman Kardon? HK's website list the nearest "authorized" shop in Sacramento !
post #5 of 10 Old 06-21-2010, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i'm suffering from the same exact problem... except it only occurs with component inputs. s-video are fine. have you had any more luck? i'm going to try and upgrade the software tonight and see what happens.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-21-2010, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

No dice. I think its a hardware problem...Luckily, my tv has enough inputs for direct connection, so its not a big problem for me. If you have get any resolution, do let me know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzgig314 View Post

i'm suffering from the same exact problem... except it only occurs with component inputs. s-video are fine. have you had any more luck? i'm going to try and upgrade the software tonight and see what happens.

post #7 of 10 Old 06-25-2010, 09:21 AM

i performed the cpu software upgrade... so far i've not had any problems!!! but i've only tried watching 2 movies.. so it may not be enough testing yet. but the results are positive so far!

word of caution.. when you download the software upgrade it come with 2 cpu upgrade files... make sure you read the manual and use the correct one! i made the mistake of using the wrong one and i was worried I killed it! why they would include a cpu upgrade file for a completely different receiver is beyond me! let me know if you have any questions / how it goes for you.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-20-2012, 11:49 PM

I'm getting the same problem with my AVR-635. It happens with both the actual video signal and with the OSD but if I turn off the video conversion in the menu then the actual video works fine. The OSD is still messed up with video conversion off. Even the blue screen generated when no input is present is messed up. This is all with s-video or composite inputs to an s-video output so conversion is not needed anyways. I too get several minutes of good output at power on and a power cycle gives another several minutes of good output. I believe I'm using the latest firmware. I tried a large fan on the video board keeping it very cool and it made no difference to how long the problem took to occur. The service manual has a block diagram and even a full schematic of the video board here. With conversion turned off, the OSD chip LC74763M chip's output is going pretty directly to the monitor out so the problem is pretty localized.

Anyone found a solution to this?
post #9 of 10 Old 11-15-2012, 08:45 AM

Checking the SW1, SW2, SW3 pins on IC33 (an MM1234) with a voltmeter shows that conversion is switched on automatically by the AVR-635 when OSD is on or when the blue screen is generated when the video source is off. Also using the composite monitor out gives the same problem as s-video out. The problem is somewhere on the path followed by the video signal for "conversion on".
post #10 of 10 Old 12-15-2012, 10:09 AM

Replaced capacitors C604, C605 and C606 and things are much better. All three had visible electrolyte leakage. They are located on the surround amplifier board but are really power supply related. Squeezed at the front of the AVR-635 close to the power transformer, these three capacitors will tend to overheat and eventually fail so anyone having these monitor out problems should check out these capacitors first.

I still seem to have a cold solder issue somewhere on the video board but at least one problem is definitely fixed.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page