The **Official** Denon 3311CI/ 991 Owner's Thread NO PRICE TALK - Page 101 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3001 of 10559 Old 11-01-2010, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

The work around is to connect an analog cable from either the cable/sat box or the TV itself to the AVR. That way you'll get audio on both SD and HD channels.

Okay, it looks like there is a sterio 1/8" jack out on the TV. Connected to the CD RCA inputs as there is no TV or AUX. Works fine.

So, how does the AVR know which audio signal to output to the speakers lets say if BR was used and bluray HDMI is connected as well?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3002 of 10559 Old 11-01-2010, 12:07 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1987 Post(s)
Liked: 1749
I assume what you mean is when an analog and HDMI cable are both connected to the AVR? The HDMI input will take priority for the surround setup speakers, however, the DVR Out jack will also output any hot analog IN signal so you want to plug the analog cable into the same input name being used for the HDMI source (eg. BD).

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3003 of 10559 Old 11-01-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:

I assume what you mean is when an analog and HDMI cable are both connected to the AVR? The HDMI input will take priority for the surround setup speakers, however, the DVR Out jack will also output any hot analog IN signal so you want to plug the analog cable into the same input name being used for the HDMI source (eg. BD).

Thanks. In the case of the TV, is there a better input to be using for the anlog than the CD I chose to use?
post #3004 of 10559 Old 11-01-2010, 12:31 PM
585-645-1006

The digital inputs are assignable. The analog inputs are not. Simply ensure the analog input you use is the same label/name you have the digital input assigned to.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #3005 of 10559 Old 11-01-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:

The digital inputs are assignable. The analog inputs are not. Simply ensure the analog input you use is the same label/name you have the digital input assigned to.

Just doing a test, I noticed there is a delay between the video and analog sound from the BR. HDMI is synced. Analog is ahead of the video.

Ideas?
post #3006 of 10559 Old 11-01-2010, 01:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1149 Post(s)
Liked: 1593
this is what you would expect; the digital signal is delayed because of all the additional processing required.

try setting video mode to "GAME" which can help with sync issues by eliminating unnecessary video processing. (see pg 70 of the manual) .. you could also try turning video processing off completely for that input.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #3007 of 10559 Old 11-01-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

this is what you would expect; the digital signal is delayed because of all the additional processing required.

try setting video mode to "GAME" which can help with sync issues by eliminating unnecessary video processing. (see pg 70 of the manual) .. you could also try turning video processing off completely for that input.

Thanks BatPig. Setting video to Game instead of Auto helped with the delay. Is there any negatives to using this mode?
Thanks
post #3008 of 10559 Old 11-02-2010, 02:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mankhan View Post

Thank you so much and I shall do as you have advised. Sorry for late posting as you can understand that I am in different time zone.

Also i want to tell you that I have not yet connected Network cable from my router/modem to avr and have not yet updated firmware so far. Is there any firmware for avr-991? Should I connect network cable and try updating firmware? Is it safe to do that?

NO success yet. Is it important to connect network cable and try updating firmware, if any. Can anyone advise.
post #3009 of 10559 Old 11-02-2010, 02:20 AM

Quote:

Dear "jdsmoothie" and "GreenTennis", i did exactly as you guys advised. Reset microprocessor, reset networking, switched off all noise producing equipment in the room, took microphone near to left speaker but still same message "no microphone or no speaker" comes on. I checked microphone with computer and it works fine, so i guess that problem is in the AVR itself and it needs either to be replaced or serviced and being living here in Saudi Arabia, purchased from US, i dont think that i shall be able to get unit replaced or serviced. What else you can suggest that i should do? Can i get Denon support email from somehwere. May be i shall write to Denon USA and they perhaps solve this issue.

OR ELSE, can you suggest me the best possible manual settings. I have very old is gold bose speaker "Acoustimass 3.1 - 8 ohms" for front, center and right. Surround side speakers 8 ohms (small sized, wall mount) of Pioneer and back surround from Jamo (6 ohms) floor standing. There watage is 200 W each, except side surround which are 100 W each. I have connected two powered 12 inches subwoofers (self made) and they produce enough low frequencies that shakes the whole room. Although i have made all manual settings to my best listening choice, do i still need to run auto calibration. Does aut setup produce much better sound then manual setup.

Please advise.

Thanks a lot for your help

Any suggestion......can anyone give me the email to denon support.
post #3010 of 10559 Old 11-02-2010, 05:28 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Although i have made all manual settings to my best listening choice, do i still need to run auto calibration. Does aut setup produce much better sound then manual setup.

Although a very few owner's don't use Audyssey, you would need to run it successfully in order to use Dyn EQ and Dyn Vol. In most cases it will provide much better audio fidelity than with manual setup. Until you can get AUTO SETUP to work though, I'm sure you will still enjoy the audio you're getting now.

Quote:

NO success yet. Is it important to connect network cable and try updating firmware, if any. Can anyone advise.

Not sure whether it's important in your case or not, but shouldn't hurt as there have already be several firmware updates.

Quote:

serviceengineering@dm-holdings-na.com

post #3011 of 10559 Old 11-02-2010, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:

...I have very old is gold bose speaker "Acoustimass 3.1 - 8 ohms" for front, center and right. Surround side speakers 8 ohms (small sized, wall mount) of Pioneer and back surround from Jamo (6 ohms) floor standing. There watage is 200 W each, except side surround which are 100 W each...

I doubt it will help your current problem involving the mic input or circuit, but once we get that sorted out, try this to see if you get better SQ: get rid of the Bose! I'd just disconnect them (they are problematic, nothing "gold" about that goofy design), then hook the Jamos up to Front R/L; even without a CC that would likely sound better. You could then look around for a CC speaker (a similar Jamo would be good), or ideally find 3 "timbre-matched" speakers for fronts. Surr rear are the least important speakers so won't make that much difference, but if you want you can probably use the little Bose cubes without their "sub", wired directly to the surr back posts. I'd just sell the Bose to finance real speakers. Just to clarify, the subs are connected to the LFE sub RCA jack output, right?

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #3012 of 10559 Old 11-02-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:

Although a very few owner's don't use Audyssey, you would need to run it successfully in order to use Dyn EQ and Dyn Vol. In most cases it will provide much better audio fidelity than with manual setup. Until you can get AUTO SETUP to work though, I'm sure you will still enjoy the audio you're getting now.

Not sure whether it's important in your case or not, but shouldn't hurt as there have already be several firmware updates.

serviceengineering@dm-holdings-na.com

Thanks a lot. Also is it important to use tripod stand, if soemone doesnt have it then what can he use. I used a bar stool and put mic on it. Is it OK.
post #3013 of 10559 Old 11-02-2010, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post

His problem is the microphone. Blow the compressed air into the microphone hole. He obviously has a short somewhere. The unit does not sense connectivity of the microphone either do to the mic itself, an internal short, or debris in the hole preventing a good connection. Who knows...

Hi glangford, agree but it doesn't hurt to try given the OP's situation.
post #3014 of 10559 Old 11-02-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

I doubt it will help your current problem involving the mic input or circuit, but once we get that sorted out, try this to see if you get better SQ: get rid of the Bose! I'd just disconnect them (they are problematic, nothing "gold" about that goofy design), then hook the Jamos up to Front R/L; even without a CC that would likely sound better. You could then look around for a CC speaker (a similar Jamo would be good), or ideally find 3 "timbre-matched" speakers for fronts. Surr rear are the least important speakers so won't make that much difference, but if you want you can probably use the little Bose cubes without their "sub", wired directly to the surr back posts. I'd just sell the Bose to finance real speakers. Just to clarify, the subs are connected to the LFE sub RCA jack output, right?

Well you are probably right, but my experience is different. To get a quality audio, i shall not compromise with money, i shall go and straight buy YAMAHA, ONKYO or JAMO but I have another JAMO pair, forgot the model number, arround 250 watts each, and I compared the audio with Bose and believe me Bose sounds much compact and better, besides for all channels i have added some extra tweeters, as i like high frequencies more and my two 12 inches serve the purpose fully for low frequencies. However, again thank you for your advise and i shall try some more powerful speakers available so far.
post #3015 of 10559 Old 11-02-2010, 07:18 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Thanks a lot. Also is it important to use tripod stand, if soemone doesnt have it then what can he use. I used a bar stool and put mic on it. Is it OK.

Ideally you want to use a tripod, although a lamp w/shade removed can also be used, both much better than using a bar stool ... although in your case moot until you can get the mic to be accepted by the AVR. Did you try JChin's suggestion and blow compressed air into the mic jack opening?

post #3016 of 10559 Old 11-02-2010, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That would make a good sig for you, J. "If speakers don't work, check the headphone jack." jd suggested that I should put something like "If it's open box, reset the micro" in my sig.

Quote:

... And then we'd miss out on the fun of solving some of those confounding but simple Denon mysteries for the newbies.

LOL, agree this gives me something to do while bored at work .
post #3017 of 10559 Old 11-02-2010, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

^ And if jd had any more room in his sig, we'd have him add, "No tripod? Use a lamp w/shade removed".

post #3018 of 10559 Old 11-02-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB007 View Post

Guess from now on it's the 4 series and up that are the better quality units (at least for 2 channel audio).

if using the supplied amp section? If using an external amp, then that depends on the amp? no?
post #3019 of 10559 Old 11-02-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:

Are you getting the test tones and does it step though a series of louder tones?
post #3020 of 10559 Old 11-02-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:

Ideally you want to use a tripod, although a lamp w/shade removed can also be used, both much better than using a bar stool ... although in your case moot until you can get the mic to be accepted by the AVR. Did you try JChin's suggestion and blow compressed air into the mic jack opening?

I got one tripod from my store and used it but still no success, same damn message after getting tone from left speaker - no microphone or no speaker

I also used compressed air but no success as well.

It seems that the female jack is not connected well with the circuitry. I believe that it is a stereo jack, right? and might have loose soldering with the plate. I am quite technical (to some extent). Is it OK that i use my soldering gun and try to solder the female jack with the circuitry?
post #3021 of 10559 Old 11-02-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTennis View Post

Are you getting the test tones and does it step though a series of louder tones?

I get tone only from the left speaker and then after single tone the message "no microphone or no speaker" comes. This is what is happening every time i have tried.
post #3022 of 10559 Old 11-02-2010, 03:53 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Is it OK that i use my soldering gun and try to solder the female jack with the circuitry?

If you have no plans of returning it for repair, you can pretty much do what you want with it.

Have you tried contacting the vendor to see if they will resolve the issue for you? Never hurts to at least try.

Do you have another mic you can use to just test with? Did you try inserting and withdrawing the mic a few times in a row?

post #3023 of 10559 Old 11-02-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:

If you have no plans of returning it for repair, you can pretty much do what you want with it.

Have you tried contacting the vendor to see if they will resolve the issue for you? Never hurts to at least try.

Do you have another mic you can use to just test with? Did you try inserting and withdrawing the mic a few times in a row?

It just came to my mind and i wrote to vendor just now. Let us see what they say.

Un-fortunately i do not have another mic and i did try inserting the withdrawing mic many times. Just my bad luck.
post #3024 of 10559 Old 11-02-2010, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...It seems that the female jack is not connected well with the circuitry. I believe that it is a stereo jack, right? and might have loose soldering with the plate. I am quite technical (to some extent). Is it OK that i use my soldering gun and try to solder the female jack with the circuitry?

jd's suggestions are well taken. I'm not sure if it is a stereo jack, but the mic plug is mono, no?

What does it look like, is the connection physically loose or does it appear to be a "cold" solder joint? Well, anyway, if you decide to attempt this, as you are "quite technical (to some extent)" then you will of course be careful to use a heat sink & use low wattage. I've found that a soldering pencil is better than a gun, to avoid collateral damage.

post #3025 of 10559 Old 11-02-2010, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I got one tripod from my store and used it but still no success, same damn message after getting tone from left speaker - no microphone or no speaker

I also used compressed air but no success as well.

Compressed air into the headphone jack as well?
post #3026 of 10559 Old 11-02-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:

I get tone only from the left speaker and then after single tone the message "no microphone or no speaker" comes. This is what is happening every time i have tried.

One sound level of tone? In my limited experience, the output will be low and if it does not detect it the volume increases. Three volume levels before failure message.
post #3027 of 10559 Old 11-02-2010, 07:25 PM

I'm nowhere close to being an expert with computers, but I like to play around to see what happens and some of what I've tried might be useful to someone else out there.

I had beginner's luck with the 3311. I made all the connections before powering it on. When I fired it up and got into the menu the 3311 had already been assigned an IP address and it had already found some media servers on my network.

The first thing that surprised me is that the 3311 found a network hard drive. It's a WD My Book World Edition. The first thing that surprised me is that I hadn't installed any media server software on the drive, and I was unaware that it came with any.

The second thing that surprised me is that my computers usually can't find the network drive until I re-map the stupid thing each time I want to use it, so I was shocked that it worked so smoothly with the Denon.. The 3311 has found the network drive every single time, so I'm just going to load more music onto it and use it as an audio player with the 3311. Instead of cussing at the My Book constantly I'm glad that I've found something it does well.

I've also turned some old computers into linux ubuntu computers that I'm mainly using as audio players. I bought the computers back around 2002. They were good XP computers in their day, but after five years or so of heavy use they eventually reached the point where they didn't even load Windows any more, so I hadn't used them in years.

I downloaded ubuntu and burned it onto three identical CDs. All three of the old computers came right back to life with ubuntu. The installation process couldn't have been easier. I don't think that I would want to switch to linux completely on every computer, but I'm impressed with how stable it's been in those three old computers. I can leave them on for weeks at a time. I don't recall any crashes so far in several months of using ubuntu.

One great thing about the 3311 is that it plays flac and ogg files, which is what the ubuntu CD rippers use. Even though I can usually stand listening to mp3 files, there's absolutely no doubt that flac files sound considerably better. The difference is more noticeable on some songs than others. I also have a Yamaha 3900 receiver, and I like it, but it doesn't play flac and ogg, so I appreciate that ability of the 3311.

Ripping CDs can be a chore, but having the three ubuntu computers side by side makes the chore go a lot faster. Considering that I hadn't used those computers in years I'm glad to give them a productive second life as music servers for the 3311. I can also play the music on those computers from any other location where I have a good internet connection.

I still have a lot to learn about linux, and a lot to learn about the 3311. My only real problem with the 3311 so far is that all of the network music options begin to stutter after a few days until I reset the microprocessor. After each reset the network music options play perfectly for a few more days before they begin to stutter again.

I don't really mind resetting the microprocessor. That's easy enough. The hassle is in having to set up all the options on the 3311 each time. The only good news about it is that I'm learning my way through the menu maze faster than I would otherwise.
post #3028 of 10559 Old 11-02-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samden View Post

I don't really mind resetting the microprocessor. That's easy enough. The hassle is in having to set up all the options on the 3311 each time. The only good news about it is that I'm learning my way through the menu maze faster than I would otherwise.

Well that concerns me. I probably won't mind but others in the household may.

Also, why three ubuntu boxes and not just one for a media server?
post #3029 of 10559 Old 11-03-2010, 12:50 AM

Quote:

jd's suggestions are well taken. I'm not sure if it is a stereo jack, but the mic plug is mono, no?

What does it look like, is the connection physically loose or does it appear to be a "cold" solder joint? Well, anyway, if you decide to attempt this, as you are "quite technical (to some extent)" then you will of course be careful to use a heat sink & use low wattage. I've found that a soldering pencil is better than a gun, to avoid collateral damage.

Sorry, you are right, it is mono or it should be as it only for mic. your advise is taken and i shall proceeed in sam emanner, just waiting for some cool, relaxed day to perfom this action.
post #3030 of 10559 Old 11-03-2010, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Compressed air into the headphone jack as well?

did it already but not into headphone jack, it is the microphone jack, right? No success.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 3311ci Receiver , Denon , Receivers Amplifiers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page