The **Official** Denon 3311CI/ 991 Owner's Thread NO PRICE TALK - Page 166 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4951 of 10482 Old 01-23-2011, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The receivers with the Ethernet connection (especially avr 991), are their firmwares able to be upgraded via Ethernet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4952 of 10482 Old 01-23-2011, 05:48 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 1302
Yes, there have been multiple firmware updates since the 3311 and 991 were first released last June 2010.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4953 of 10482 Old 01-23-2011, 05:54 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Yes, there have been multiple firmware updates since the 3311 and 991 were first released last June 2010.

You're saying that the firmware can be updated via Ethernet? I assuming you were replying to my post but I just want to make sure. My assumptions today (with wife) haven't gone my way. I apologize if this is obvious to everyone but me.
post #4954 of 10482 Old 01-23-2011, 06:01 PM
585-645-1006

^^^
Correct. Firmware updates are done via the ethernet connection.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #4955 of 10482 Old 01-23-2011, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjthenovice View Post

The receivers with the Ethernet connection (especially avr 991), are their firmwares able to be upgraded via Ethernet?

Yep, when I plugged mine in the other day for the first time there was an upgrade awaiting. Downloaded and installed without a hitch took about 10 minutes.

For everyone else- how many upgrades has Denon issued for the 3311 while we're on the subject?

And also for those interested, I don't know if it's been mentioned- 6ave is now having a "sale" on the 991. No coupon needed. BUT, google around for a coupon code to get another 4% off the sale price. Not as low of a price as the 3311 w/coupon before they sold out but... close .
post #4956 of 10482 Old 01-23-2011, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjthenovice View Post

Dude, don't do it!!!

J/K. If you have access to a service center it should be O.K. Hopefully there has been some kind of positive change to the firmware.

Everything seems to be working for me and I'm overseas so I'm not risking it until I come back to the mainland.

Pioneer PDP-5071HD, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Denon 3311CI, Oppo BDP-93, Emotiva XPA-5, Definitive Mythos ST, Mythos 8, Gem XL, SVS SB-13 Ultra
post #4957 of 10482 Old 01-24-2011, 12:22 AM

Well I recalibrated twice with new Boston Acoustics speakers and now have to use the audio delay function of the 3311. I didn't have to do this with the polks. Funny thing is before recalibration, the lip sync timing was fine using the audessy auto settings from the last speakers. I replaced the surrounds so all new speakers since the last calibration so I figure it was time to run auto setup again. The distances from auto setup are accurate. Any ideas on what could be going on? 3ms delay seems to be working for me.
post #4958 of 10482 Old 01-24-2011, 04:34 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamanteus View Post

For everyone else- how many upgrades has Denon issued for the 3311 while we're on the subject?

There has been only 1 "upgrade" - Airplay, while there have been at least 6 "updates" (as listed in the 1st post of this thread). Updates are cumulative so that installing the latest one, you also get all the previous updates as well.

post #4959 of 10482 Old 01-24-2011, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli Tha Don View Post

All is well with mine I'm happy to report! Works beautifully again.

I admit I was a bit ticked when this happened to my brand new 800 something dollar 4 month old unit. But overall I'm very pleased with how I was taken care of by denon/panurgy and wouldn't hesitate to say good things about their customer service when I am asked.

Very happy for you. I'm going to pick mine up from the local shop today and send it to the NJ center. Should have been smart like you and done that from the beginning. I've wasted 3 weeks already!
post #4960 of 10482 Old 01-24-2011, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Anybody knows if the 3311ci can pass Internet through HDMI cable?

post #4961 of 10482 Old 01-24-2011, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Well I got my 3311CI hooked up on Saturday, and I have to say that I am very impressed with how polished this unit is! Stepping up from a 1910, the menus are very intuitive and the GUI/overlay capability is great for on the fly adjustments. Nothing overly fancy in terms of graphics, but the diagrams certainly aid in the setup. The remote is also 100x better than the 1910's, even though I'll be using a Harmony the majority of the time. I immediately upgraded to the most recent firmware upon connection to the LAN to ensure that I was current. I love how the unit's display updates you throughout the process so you know everything is going smoothly. Afterwards, I went through the Audyssey XT setup for all 8 positions and made any manual adjustments needed, which wasn't very much.

Now for the moment of truth, would I detect an audible difference with the only change being the AVR? I really didn't have any expectations in terms of SQ improvement, but I must say that I was very pleased with the subtle differences I could detect. I'm guessing the differences are mainly due to the improved Audyssey XT, with the most notable being in multichannel modes the soundstage seems to be expanded with better channel blending and separation for a more immersive feel, and any standing bass waves are better managed coming from my subs (even though it manages both outputs as a single channel). The extra wattage also seems to make a minor difference in my Polk Monitors as well. The Monitor 40's have more presence now in multichannel listening that is very welcome, and the fronts are showing substantially more life driving in 2channel pure direct (not as much in multichannel). Although, multichannel listening sounds so good, I really don't know how much stereo listening I'll do. PLII Music with Panaorama On was always enjoyable before on my 1910, but it just all seems so much more seamless now. If I close my eyes, it actually makes me feel like I'm at a live concert. I've already got a wide soundstage (16' between fronts and 18' between surrounds in a 20' wide x 18' deep room), but I can't wait to try separate DSX wides as well! The improvements also carry over to HT movie watching as well, but are even more subtle. On BD DTS-True HD tracks, the most impressive thing is that XT seems to have totally eliminated any boominess from my dual subs without taking away any of the raw energy.
They sounded good to me beforehand, but they're even better now.

Other things worthy of mention... I'm really enjoying the networking capabilities, and ability to configure over the network is wonderful! So far, I've streamed media from my upstairs computer, listened to several internet radio stations, and set up and tested my Pandora account. Eventually, I'll have a separate flatscreen on the wall outside my media room (poker area) that will put the 2nd hdmi output to use, but the ability to access everything without turning on my projector is also very nice! The size of the screen isn't that much bigger than the 1910's, but it makes all of the difference with the additional info it supports. The bottom line is that the 3311CI does more than I thought possible at current street pricing, and was definitely a worthwhile upgrade, not only in terms of features (what I was after), but also in terms of SQ, which was a pleasant surprise!
post #4962 of 10482 Old 01-24-2011, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by centauro74 View Post
Anybody knows if the 3311ci can pass Internet through HDMI cable?
no, AFAIK no receiver has actually implemented this feature.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #4963 of 10482 Old 01-24-2011, 10:16 AM

Don't know if this has been ask but.... I need to drive a PSW and curious to know if 1 of the 3311 internal amps (bi-amp 2 if possible) could drive the sub? I think this a stretch but I have to ask. Thanks!
post #4964 of 10482 Old 01-24-2011, 10:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

what's a PSW?

I assume some sort of passive sub? internal AVR amps really shouldn't be used to drive a subwoofer to anything more than moderate volume levels.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #4965 of 10482 Old 01-24-2011, 10:57 AM

You got it batpig... for now I'm just looking for a way to drive the passive SW until I have the $$ to buy a good A(ctive)SW. For now, low volume would be OK as long as I didn't have to worry about blowing the internal amp(s).
post #4966 of 10482 Old 01-24-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburckh View Post
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I was beginning to think I got the adware supported version of the AVR-3311CI. I never thought I would be spammed by my receiver!

It would be nice to be able to turn off just specific upgrades.
Anyone (or everyone) else still getting the Upgrade notification even though you've already purchased and installed the Airplay upgrade?
post #4967 of 10482 Old 01-24-2011, 11:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BopMan View Post
You got it batpig... for now I'm just looking for a way to drive the passive SW until I have the $$ to buy a good A(ctive)SW. For now, low volume would be OK as long as I didn't have to worry about blowing the internal amp(s).
OK, it was confusing because PSW is the way Polk brands their ACTIVE subwoofers (e.g. PSW-110).

With a passive sub it has to be "in line" with the front L/R speakers. The receiver will not "know" you have a subwoofer and will just see "full range" front speakers.

Assuming you are running a 5.1 setup, the best option is to set the AMP ASSIGN to "FRONT-A Bi-AMP" which will cause the Surr.Back/AmpAssign speaker posts to output the same signal as the front L/R speakers. Hook up the front speakers normally and hook up the sub to Surr.Back speaker posts. They will play as one unit but the sub will at least have two amp channels dedicated to it.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #4968 of 10482 Old 01-24-2011, 11:40 AM

regarding the network card and/or HDMI board issue some have experienced - does anyone know if this was limited to a certain manufacturing run (eg. serial number range) and has now been addressed on the newer units with hardware and/or firmware changes, or is it just the luck of the draw on the unit you get?

I have seen this asked before, but don't recall seeing an answer, at least since I started monitoring the thread (about page 150).

Thanks.
post #4969 of 10482 Old 01-24-2011, 11:47 AM

I know I've asked this before ("how to get the overlays") and had it answered. But I can't find the original answer, and though Batpig's excellent Denon guide mentions that "video conversion" has to be on in several places, it doesn't say HOW to turn this on.

I know it's buried SOMEWHERE in Denon's obtuse menus - I've turned it on before. (I had to do a microprocessor reset.)

Where is it?

Edit: never mind. Found it. Input Mode -> Video -> Video Convert
post #4970 of 10482 Old 01-24-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

OK, it was confusing because PSW is the way Polk brands their ACTIVE subwoofers (e.g. PSW-110).

With a passive sub it has to be "in line" with the front L/R speakers. The receiver will not "know" you have a subwoofer and will just see "full range" front speakers.

Assuming you are running a 5.1 setup, the best option is to set the AMP ASSIGN to "FRONT-A Bi-AMP" which will cause the Surr.Back/AmpAssign speaker posts to output the same signal as the front L/R speakers. Hook up the front speakers normally and hook up the sub to Surr.Back speaker posts. They will play as one unit but the sub will at least have two amp channels dedicated to it.

Sorry about that... this is all can confusing to me but I'm trying... thanks for the input.

The only problem I see in the "FRONT- BI-AMP" setup is the signal to the SW is the same as L/R... I don't know if my sub has a cross-over inside... my old THX processor determined the woofer (THX) output. If this setup doesn't work, I do have a nice amp I could bi-amp... the only issue here is it produces 600 watts and that might be a little too much for the SW.

Does this setup bi-amp the 2 surr/back amps and if it does which post do I hook my speaker wire into? I only have one L/R input speaker post on the sub.
post #4971 of 10482 Old 01-24-2011, 12:03 PM

Whenever I turn on my receiver, it goes to the TV source. I must have changed this somehow, because it didn't used to do this. I can't find where to change this.

I have the Standby Source set to HDMI3, which is SAT/CBL. Obviously, that is not the setting...
post #4972 of 10482 Old 01-24-2011, 12:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The only problem I see in the "FRONT- BI-AMP" setup is the signal to the SW is the same as L/R

it is impossible to have it any other way unless you get an ACTIVE subwoofer (or a separate amp). The AVR can only send a "dedicated" subwoofer signal out the SUB OUT pre-out RCA jack.

Quote:

Does this setup bi-amp the 2 surr/back amps and if it does which post do I hook my speaker wire into?

re-read what I wrote above: it sends a duplicate signal to the surr.back amps, the exact same signal that is sent to Front L/R.

Quote:

set the AMP ASSIGN to "FRONT-A Bi-AMP" which will cause the Surr.Back/AmpAssign speaker posts to output the same signal as the front L/R speakers. Hook up the front speakers normally and hook up the sub to Surr.Back speaker posts.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #4973 of 10482 Old 01-24-2011, 12:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtara View Post

Whenever I turn on my receiver, it goes to the TV source. I must have changed this somehow, because it didn't used to do this. I can't find where to change this.

this is actually caused by your TV trying to "take control" of the AVR through HDMI-CEC. Turn off HDMI-CEC in your display (e.g. Anynet+ for Samsung, VieraLink for Panasonic, etc) and it will stop.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #4974 of 10482 Old 01-24-2011, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If this setup doesn't work, I do have a nice amp I could bi-amp... the only issue here is it produces 600 watts and that might be a little too much for the SW.

Without knowing your gear, this is probably a better option, even if it exceeds the rated wattage of the sub. Far more speakers blow due to distortion (underpowered) than too much power. I wouldn't try do drive the speaker beyond its limits, and would dial back the sw channel level as well, but otherwise this should work.

Your other bet would be to purchase an inline crossover/filter to eliminate any frequencies higher than 120hz, as there's no other way to send just the low frequencies over the line level speaker outputs from the 3311.
post #4975 of 10482 Old 01-24-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

There has been only 1 "upgrade" - Airplay, while there have been at least 6 "updates" (as listed in the 1st post of this thread). Updates are cumulative so that installing the latest one, you also get all the previous updates as well.

Thanks for your ongoing posts jdsmoothie. As a new 991 owner I find your experience and insights to be invaluable! After ending up in an endless firmware update loop on my first try I successfully made it through the ether img update. I've now been presented with the airplay upgrade option. Have you used this and if so what's your take so far? Currently I have 300 gb of music on my iMac in AIFF sync'd to 2 ipod classics which I play through a Wadia 170i Transport (bypassing the DAC in the ipod and using the DAC in my new 991). The music sounds great as it did on my old pioneer elite. only downside is that you have to use the ipod dial wheel to select your music. On on screen display would be so much easier.
post #4976 of 10482 Old 01-24-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:

it is impossible to have it any other way unless you get an ACTIVE subwoofer (or a separate amp). The AVR can only send a "dedicated" subwoofer signal out the SUB OUT pre-out RCA jack.

re-read what I wrote above: it sends a duplicate signal to the surr.back amps, the exact same signal that is sent to Front L/R.

I'm sorry I didn't really phase my question correctly... the real question is can I use the 2 surr.back amps like a mono amp since my SW only has one speaker input. I think I already know the answer (no) but I thought I would ask. I guess I could use one of the surr.back amps but my concern would be what would happen to the other surr.back amp when no load (speaker) is attached? This setup doesn't sound good to me. Thanks for the input.
post #4977 of 10482 Old 01-24-2011, 01:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

yeah, you are kind of stuck if your sub only has a single speaker wire feed (not a L/R pair).

you can't really "bridge" two amp channels to one like you are thinking. I can't imagine it's recommended to run BOTH speaker wires to the single input on the sub either.

time for a new sub! (or an external mono amp)

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #4978 of 10482 Old 01-24-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Rider View Post

Without knowing your gear, this is probably a better option, even if it exceeds the rated wattage of the sub. Far more speakers blow due to distortion (underpowered) than too much power. I wouldn't try do drive the speaker beyond its limits, and would dial back the sw channel level as well, but otherwise this should work.

Your other bet would be to purchase an inline crossover/filter to eliminate any frequencies higher than 120hz, as there's no other way to send just the low frequencies over the line level speaker outputs from the 3311.

I think you're right. I have several crown amps I can run in mono... they just don't look that good setting in the rack... I just need to come up with some coin to buy a new SW. Thanks for the input.
post #4979 of 10482 Old 01-24-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:

yeah, you are kind of stuck if your sub only has a single speaker wire feed (not a L/R pair).

you can't really "bridge" two amp channels to one like you are thinking. I can't imagine it's recommended to run BOTH speaker wires to the single input on the sub either.

time for a new sub! (or an external mono amp)

I think you're right... it's just good one's cost big money... I guess it's time to start saving or god forbid sell something.
post #4980 of 10482 Old 01-24-2011, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I think you're right. I have several crown amps I can run in mono... they just don't look that good setting in the rack... I just need to come up with some coin to buy a new SW. Thanks for the input.

Chicks dig professional audio gear Seriously though, if you don't want to use the crown amp and the sub is good enough and worth the time/effort, you could also integrate a decent plate amp on the back which would give you a crossover as well for a pretty modest investment:

http://www.parts-express.com/wizards...AT&srchCat=505

There's also the infamous Polk PSW-505, which can be had for a good price from Newegg. It's certainly not the last word in low end extension, but is powerful, well made, and sounds great for both HT and music applications. I actually ended up going with two of them and selling a single eD A2-300, because I liked the pair of 505's better for music.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 3311ci Receiver , Denon , Receivers Amplifiers
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page