The **Official** Denon 3311CI/ 991 Owner's Thread NO PRICE TALK - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 10482 Old 06-20-2010, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Can the i/p Scaler (page 70 of the manual) be set differently for each input? Little hard to tell from the manual alone, it seems like it is indicating it is set per input. Some inputs like my OPPO I would like to pass through, others I may want to scale.

Long Live The Gorn!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 10482 Old 06-20-2010, 03:37 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
Yes, the i/p scaler can be set per input.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #33 of 10482 Old 06-20-2010, 06:05 PM

Liked: 10
Quick questions here,

From Denon's site on the new version of this AVR :

"It (the new 3311[i]) comes equipped with Audyssey’s new DSX surround processor, which derives front height or front width channels for a dramatically expanded front soundstage."

How, if anything is this "processor" different from the firmware upgrade available to the 3310CI? Is it a physical chip-set?

I have read a bunch of headaches about updating the 3310 in any manner. The new unit has a new ethernet card?

I am hoping DSX (emphasizing width) is the bomb... but am not sure what a difference MultEQ vs MultEQ XT really is....

Any thoughts would be great!

Thanks all,
~Robin

Renovating up to a new Theatre, progress HERE.
All comments welcome!
post #34 of 10482 Old 06-20-2010, 08:28 PM

I will be purchasing the AVR-991 when it comes out. It's going to be replacing my Pioneer VSX-919AH because I want 3D compatibly and the networking features. Does anyone know if 24bit 96khz flac files are supported over the network? Also can it be networked with a MAC? Does anyone think that I'll have better sound quality if I stick with my Pioneer?
post #35 of 10482 Old 06-20-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:

Does anyone know if 24bit 96khz flac files are supported over the network?

That level of flac doesn't appear supported. The manual (p33) says it supports flac at 32/44.1/48 kHz, with the unspecified bit rates (a dash). I don't have any flac files like that to test.

Quote:

Also can it be networked with a MAC?

Yes it can network with a Mac. I have the 3311ci and Macs. You have to run a DLNA server on a Mac (or Windows) to access it as a media server. The 3311 doesn't support native CIFS/SMB that would allow it to see your shared folders directly. Running a DLNA is required.

The DLNA server I use is MediaLink from Nullriver Software ($20). I bought it 2 years ago when looking to network the Mac with my PS3. It seemed to be the best Mac DLNA software out there and they've consistently upgraded it. I haven't looked for newer/better DLNA products since.
http://www.nullriver.com/products/medialink

I've experienced 2 media server issues with the 3311, but I'm not sure yet if they're on the 3311 or Medialink side.
1. My iPhoto .jpg photos are displayed at very, very low resolution on the 3311.
2. Some mp3 artwork isn't displayed correctly, particularly when playing track after track. Correct artwork appears for a second, then reverts to artwork from an earlier track.

My belief is that these issues are with the 3311 because my PS3 doesn't have any issues with the same files. I can replicate both issues when using the 3311 to access files from 2 different Macs.

Hopefully they get these things fixed and put a bunch of polish on the whole network side of things. It's mostly functional, just not where I'd expect it to be for a product of this caliber. For example, when browsing photos on Flickr or your library, there's no way to advance to the next photo in the stream. You have to go back and select the next file. You can't logon to your Flickr account. It's pretty limited support. The whole network UI seems to be low res (480i) upscaled, and generally doesn't look very pretty in 1080p. I love the network capabilities, especially internet radio, but the user interface is not nearly as slick as the PS3, the LG BD390 or AppleTV.
post #36 of 10482 Old 06-22-2010, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
In anticipation of my unit arriving tomorrow (damn this wait!), has anyone tried setting up the 3311 on a Harmony remote? Will the 3310 codes work?

Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
post #37 of 10482 Old 06-22-2010, 01:51 PM

Does this unit have a pass through feature, as to leave the video signal un changed? And does the unit have to be on in order for this to happen?
post #38 of 10482 Old 06-22-2010, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaltby View Post

The DLNA server I use is MediaLink from Nullriver Software ($20). I bought it 2 years ago when looking to network the Mac with my PS3. It seemed to be the best Mac DLNA software out there and they've consistently upgraded it. I haven't looked for newer/better DLNA products since.
http://www.nullriver.com/products/medialink

That's an awful presentation on Nullriver's site. The average person reading it would conclude that it's only for the PS3. Thanks for confirming that it works with the 3311ci.

I'm very interested in this receiver. The only really stupid thing Denon has done is to eliminate the switched AC outlets. I use those on my current receiver to turn off the fans in my cabinet. I've seen the workaround about using trigger output to a separate power control box, but that's an expensive kludge.
post #39 of 10482 Old 06-22-2010, 03:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrus View Post

In anticipation of my unit arriving tomorrow (damn this wait!), has anyone tried setting up the 3311 on a Harmony remote? Will the 3310 codes work?

as JD said a few posts back, all Denon AVR's use the same IR codes so using ANY Denon model number in the Harmony database will work.

So go ahead and select 3310 or 4310 if "3311" is not in the database... and then you can use the learning function of the Harmony to "teach" your Harmony any new codes that are missing.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #40 of 10482 Old 06-22-2010, 03:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch View Post

Does this unit have a pass through feature, as to leave the video signal un changed? And does the unit have to be on in order for this to happen?

you are thinking of two different things:

1) the ability to "pass through" a video signal untouched, i.e. disabling the video processor. Yes, you can disable the video processor, as video scaling is set per input.

2) the ability to do "standby pass through" where an HDMI input can be passed through to your TV when the AVR is powered off. Yes, all Denon AVR's can do this.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #41 of 10482 Old 06-22-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

1) the ability to "pass through" a video signal untouched, i.e. disabling the video processor. Yes, you can disable the video processor, as video scaling is set per input.

2) the ability to do "standby pass through" where an HDMI input can be passed through to your TV when the AVR is powered off. Yes, all Denon AVR's can do this.

That's exactly what I wanted to know. when the kids watch tv I don't want them using the AVR. That's a big plus for me now that I know.

My thoughts are I really like the USB ability with the iPhone instead of the dock that the 3310 needs. In addition the 3311 has the DSX, 3310 does not. Those two upgrades ups the price say an extra couple hundred bucks or so. Pandora radio, better video processing if I decide to use it. And 3D. Okay don't need 3d.

Am I missing any other new features? I am really trying to figure out if I should spend less on the receiver and save for better speakers. My current yamaha avr has no audyssey, and my paradigm monitor V2's are about 10 years old.
Tv is new Panny plasma. Thoughts please.
post #42 of 10482 Old 06-22-2010, 04:14 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

You're able to change the cross over settings, size of your speakers,distance (which should be mess with) among few other things..But once the information is calculated that's pretty much it. If you don't like it you can rerun it again. You'll never make the same adjustments twice!

Happy fathers day guys

Daniel

Thanks for the answer.

My original question was: "After Audyssey is done, how much manual control do you have over what it just set?"

Is EQ in the other things mentioned? That is really what I should have asked in the first place. I would think Audyssey could do better on distances and crossover settings than I could anyway. But once it's done adjusting if I want (for example) a warmer sound, I would like the ability to play with the EQ a bit. Even on my old Yamaha which does not have any auto-calibration I have used the simple bass/treble knobs to trim things a little bit to my taste. But I am perfectly comfortable with a full parametric EQ (I've done some professional sound reinforcement in my past).

One of my friends that happens to own both a Yamaha and Denon tells me that his Yamaha has a warmer more pleasant sound, and his Denon wins for video processing and power (more watts per channel). I have owned two Yamaha receivers in the past, and have liked the sound a lot, so now I'm worried that the Denon will not sound as pleasing. But I know the guts of the Denon are great, so if I had a little control over the EQ, I should be able to match the Yamaha sound if it is not there at first.

post #43 of 10482 Old 06-22-2010, 04:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

My original question was: "After Audyssey is done, how much manual control do you have over what it just set?"

Is EQ in the “other things” mentioned? That is really what I should have asked in the first place. I would think Audyssey could do better on distances and crossover settings than I could anyway. But once it’s done adjusting if I want (for example) a “warmer” sound, I would like the ability to play with the EQ a bit.

have you looked through my FAQ? Your question is specifically addressed in the Audyssey section: http://batpigworld.com/fadq.html#audyssey

you CANNOT adjust the EQ and use Audyssey. You must use one of the Audyssey "target curves" to enable and utilize the Audyssey features (Dynamic EQ + Volume).

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #44 of 10482 Old 06-22-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:

Am I missing any other new features? I am really trying to figure out if I should spend less on the receiver and save for better speakers. My current yamaha avr has no audyssey, and my paradigm monitor V2's are about 10 years old.
Tv is new Panny plasma. Thoughts please.

I would say if you have a set budget, the difference between the 3310 and 3311 would be better put towards speakers, but my actual advice would be to get the better receiver, then save a little longer and don't skimp on speakers either. I find that I often regret saving money on a lesser model, but rarely regret spending more on the model I really wanted. Overall, I find that it saves me money to just wait until what I really want is within reach, and get it. Then I upgrade way less often.

My TV is not 3D, and it may be 10 years before I get a 3D TV, but why not spend the extra $200 to make sure my current receiver will work when that day happens? My TV might break on me next year and I end up with a 3D TV sooner than anticipated. And/or my new receiver may last me 15 years.

post #45 of 10482 Old 06-22-2010, 04:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That's exactly what I wanted to know. when the kids watch tv I don't want them using the AVR. That's a big plus for me now that I know.

FYI - the 3310 also has this feature, there is no difference between the xx10 and xx11 models in this respect.

Quote:

My thoughts are I really like the USB ability with the iPhone instead of the dock that the 3310 needs. In addition the 3311 has the DSX, 3310 does not. Those two upgrades ups the price say an extra couple hundred bucks or so. Pandora radio, better video processing if I decide to use it. And 3D. Okay don't need 3d.

The 3311 doesn't have better video processing, the 3310 is essentially identical in this respect; the chip is different but they have the same basic performance.

I guess it's time to do this (Petrus, maybe put this in post #2):

3311 vs 3310:

what is new?
- HDMI 1.4a with support for 3D and ARC
- dual HDMI outputs
- Audyssey DSX built in (instead of having to pay for an upgrade)
- Audyssey MultEQ XT (instead of regular MultEQ) and Audyssey Pro capable
- Front USB port now supports direct iPod/iPhone connection
- New network features like Pandora, Flickr, Rhapsody, slightly better DLNA support
- i/p control interface for remote tech support
- Dual subwoofer outputs (mirror image, not independently filtered)
- New, improved one-sided remote

what is gone?
- No more switched outlets on the rear
- Fewer legacy inputs:
... One fewer S/PDIF input (2 optical / 2 coax on new model instead of 2/3)
... One fewer Component Video input (2 instead of 3)
... Fewer s-video and composite video legacy inputs, one fewer analog audio input
... No more EXT IN multichannel analog inputs

other than that, they are virtually identical in most respects. let me know if I missed anything....

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #46 of 10482 Old 06-22-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:

have you looked through my FAQ? Your question is specifically addressed in the Audyssey section: http://batpigworld.com/fadq.html#audyssey

Awesome FAQ. I read the entire Audyssey section. I think I'm sold on Audyssey. Now that I understand what it's doing, I understand why it would be kind of silly to tweak the EQ after it calibrates.

I do think I should buy my receiver locally though just in case my reference-level calibrated results are not as pleasing to me as my current "winged it by ear" values. But after reading all that, it seems highly unlikely that what I'm hearing now is optimal. Especially since Audyssey compensates for lower volume levels, etc. With the per-input reference-level adjustment, I can't see it being much of a problem.

I was also a bit concerned about the speaker size settings and crossover frequencies, but the FAQ dispelled my concerns there as well.

post #47 of 10482 Old 06-22-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:

For number 2, can someone measure the power consumption while the receiver is passing through hdmi in standby? According to batpig's FAQ it used to be around 30 watts. I'm wondering if this has gone down at all this year with the xx11 models.
post #48 of 10482 Old 06-22-2010, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My 3311 has arrived!
I've unboxed it, hooked it up and completed setup (accept running Audyssey which I will run tomorrow)...
It is replacing a Denon 4810 and previous to that a 4310.
I know it's a tall order and a lot to ask of the 3311 but it has the features that I need, 2 HDMI outputs, Audyssey MultEQ XT, ABT Video Processing, 6 HDMI inputs, cool GUI and Networking, and all the audio and video inputs that I need and on paper should be powerful enough to drive my speaker system (NHT Absolute Towers, Classic 2 Center, and 4 Absolute Zero surround speakers).
The updated GUI took a little getting use to compared to the GUI of the 4810/4310. I'm not sure if it's an upgrade from the previous GUI but it's certainly an upgrade from what you find on Onkyo's and such.
It does away with the symbols/pictures and uses more simple navigation icons. Not sure if this is just for the "lesser" 3xxx models versus the 43/48xx
models.
I'm not going to post listening impressions until I've had some time with it and run Audyssey.
So that's it for now... oh and the Network works flawlessly... so far.

DreamCatcher

StayThristyMyFriends
post #49 of 10482 Old 06-22-2010, 06:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It does away with the symbols/pictures and uses more simple navigation icons. Not sure if this is just for the "lesser" 3xxx models versus the 43/48xx models.

correct, the 23xx / 33xx models have a simple GUI; the 4xxx models have a more "advanced" GUI. This was true last year also, nothing new here

keep us posted with your impressions!

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #50 of 10482 Old 06-22-2010, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

correct, the 23xx / 33xx models have a simple GUI; the 4xxx models have a more "advanced" GUI. This was true last year also, nothing new here

keep us posted with your impressions!

Oh, my bad.......
I hadn't had any exposure to Denon receivers below the 43xx models until now.
I'm pretty excited about this mid-level Denon receiver.
Coming from higher level receivers, such as Denon 5805MKII, 5308, 4810, 4310, Onkyo 5007 and Lexicon, Anthem, Onkyo processors, I'm seeing first hand the point of diminishing returns. These mid-level receivers are getting so good that as long as they have the features and connectivity that your after, spending more doesn't mean getting better sound quality.
Just my 1/2 cent........

DreamCatcher

StayThristyMyFriends
post #51 of 10482 Old 06-22-2010, 11:46 PM

One major problem with the 3311CI. It may have two HDMI outs, but only one choice for sound, either TV or Amps. So, if you have two TVs for the HDMIs and one is an HT, then you cant use the other on sound for a normal TV only setup.

What good is two HDMI outs if you can only do sound on one?

Saving money or bad design choice.

We bought the unit so we could run a variety of TVs though the Denon. One HDMI to the main Home Theater and the other going to a splitter and the other TVs. This would allow us to use a second input to the other TVs to watch DVD or whatever comes along.

Kinergetics KCD40 and KCD 20/40
Robertson 6010 & 4010
Chiro C800
Kinergetics Subwoofer
Martin Logan Aerius I
post #52 of 10482 Old 06-23-2010, 04:57 AM

For what its worth, I popped into my local best buy yesterday and the manager informed me they would have the 3311 on June 27th. Again, for what thats worth.
post #53 of 10482 Old 06-23-2010, 05:12 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickm11 View Post

Keep in mind that you can only send video to one HDMI OUT at a time.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #54 of 10482 Old 06-23-2010, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
pointless post I know...

but I am very excited.

I am a current Denon owner, I started looking for new receivers over a year ago...never found one that hit my sweet spot (functionality, number of issues, price) and now I think I found it.

Long Live The Gorn!
post #55 of 10482 Old 06-23-2010, 07:41 AM

Hi.

I have an 2310ci and I'm planing to upgrade to one 3311ci, one simple question: will I get better sound quality? I basically listen in 2.1 stereo.

Thanks!
post #56 of 10482 Old 06-23-2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Not so, you can send video to both HDMI out, but only send audio of one kind to both HDMI out. You only have one kind of video to send, but you have two options for audio.

Kinergetics KCD40 and KCD 20/40
Robertson 6010 & 4010
Chiro C800
Kinergetics Subwoofer
Martin Logan Aerius I
post #57 of 10482 Old 06-23-2010, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

I'm not sure about this.
According to the product sheet on Denon's website....
"Dual HDMI outputs enabling simultaneous outputs to a video projector
and a flat panel HDTV"
I haven't tried this but I have verified each HDMI output is active when selected individually (running two different displays one at a time).

DreamCatcher

StayThristyMyFriends
post #58 of 10482 Old 06-23-2010, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobias View Post

Hi.

I have an 2310ci and I'm planing to upgrade to one 3311ci, one simple question: will I get better sound quality? I basically listen in 2.1 stereo.

Thanks!

Unless you need the additional power, probably not.

Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
post #59 of 10482 Old 06-23-2010, 08:56 AM

Well i finally made my purchase at a steal of a deal in Canada,
price was under $1000 for the avr-3311ci, I will have this unit by Wed next week

From jdsmoothie "Before returning your Denon as being defective ... "Reset the Microprocessor" (see Owner's Manual for instructions)
post #60 of 10482 Old 06-23-2010, 08:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickm11 View Post

One major problem with the 3311CI. It may have two HDMI outs, but only one choice for sound, either TV or Amps. So, if you have two TVs for the HDMIs and one is an HT, then you cant use the other on sound for a normal TV only setup.

Saving money or bad design choice.

neither -- that has nothing to do with one or two HDMI outputs, the setting is exactly the same for one-HDMI-out models. The point of an AVR is not be a switcher to send audio to your TV's, it's to play SURROUND SOUND to your REAL speakers.

The point of dual monitor outputs is so that you can have a regular display and then a projector setup for "movie night". Or some other dual monitor setup. Not to distribute audio to different displays. Most people don't want to use their TV speakers anymore once they have a good speaker setup

Setup Guide and FAQ

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 3311ci Receiver , Denon , Receivers Amplifiers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page