The **Official** Denon 3311CI/ 991 Owner's Thread NO PRICE TALK - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 10513 Old 07-09-2010, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvader View Post

Thanks!

Will let you know...interesting coincidence?

I will try that or did try, I did do this when I had it hoked up via HDMI and even used HDMI control on and it sorta worked...

What is really odd is that I have the DVR hooked up via Component> AVR> HDMI > TV...I would not expect to get any troubles.

And again...not saying this is a bad unit, start a panic, stampede mass hysteria etc ...but this is the forum I come to for help so you guys are stuck with me for a while ... at least over this weekend while I am trying to sort this out.

To me it sounds like an HDMI handshake issue between the AVR and the panel. Is the TV's FW up to date or is it even updateable? Do you have more than 1 HDMI input on the TV to try another input? Have you tried a different HDMI cable? Have you tried the second HDMI out on the AVR?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 10513 Old 07-09-2010, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Im2sexy View Post

To me it sounds like an HDMI handshake issue between the AVR and the panel. Is the TV's FW up to date or is it even updateable? Do you have more than 1 HDMI input on the TV to try another input? Have you tried a different HDMI cable? Have you tried the second HDMI out on the AVR?

Panel not FW updatedable, will be trying all of the above. Funny got home, wife had everything fired up and running...Ha ???

Long Live The Gorn!
post #633 of 10513 Old 07-09-2010, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I will post a more lengthy review sometimes this weekend when I get time to do more testing... but since everyone is discussing HDMI issues, here is my experience on that so far:

All connected with brand new www.monoprice.com high speed HDMI cables, and all Denon video settings are default:

PS3 = flawless.
Xbox 360 Elite = flawless.
Motorola U-Verse box = crap.

At first I thought everything was working great. I don't know if "handshake" is the right way to discribe this problem, because it starts out fine, but I keep getting these crackles in the sound, and then it starts cutting in and out and finally it goes silent. I can't blame the TV service because it even does this on HD shows I have recorded with the DVR... also I know it's not the recording because I can switch to another input, and then back, then rewind my show and watch the same section with perfect sound until it starts glitching again. When it gets bad I can even see the input channel diagram on the left side of the Denon display flashing on and off.

I switched to component video and optical audio, and no more glitches.

I don't blame the Denon. I tried HDMI directly to my TV a while back and had issues as well (not the same issue, but it wasn't good). I read there was a firmware update to the Motorola that fixed HDMI so I figured I'd give it another shot.

But truth be told, I can't see/hear any difference with component, so it was to reduce # of cables in the birds nest behind my receiver that made me wanna try HDMI again.

I got my 3311CI from EE. I honestly don't think there is any chance they are selling any sort of defective units or B-Stock. You have the same chances of getting a lemon from EE that you do from your local high-end A/V store. It's just a bit easier to return it to the store, but for $300 off, I think it’s well worth the risk to get it online.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #634 of 10513 Old 07-09-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrus View Post

I'll test those out. I have a feeling they won't work, but it never hurts to try.

I would be interested to know how this works as well. I guess I just assumed I could stream Slacker and Pandora from an iphone to the Denon.

Chris
post #635 of 10513 Old 07-09-2010, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by [KYA]Mega View Post

Motorola U-Verse box = crap.

At first I thought everything was working great. I don't know if "handshake" is the right way to discribe this problem, because it starts out fine, but I keep getting these crackles in the sound, and then it starts cutting in and out and finally it goes silent. I can't blame the TV service because it even does this on HD shows I have recorded with the DVR... also I know it's not the recording because I can switch to another input, and then back, then rewind my show and watch the same section with perfect sound until it starts glitching again. When it gets bad I can even see the input channel diagram on the left side of the Denon display flashing on and off.

I switched to component video and optical audio, and no more glitches.

I don't blame the Denon. I tried HDMI directly to my TV a while back and had issues as well (not the same issue, but it wasn't good). I read there was a firmware update to the Motorola that fixed HDMI so I figured I'd give it another shot.

Hi Mega, not sure what you describle is the same as what is discuss at Utalk forum but check it out.
post #636 of 10513 Old 07-09-2010, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybernut2000 View Post

I am really starting to worry now as i am thinking perhaps this is why i got such a big discount. Perhaps some of these units have known defects. I know retailers discount stuff but i got 24% which seems too good to be true especially considering it just came out and were selling out at full price. I'd like to know if anyone who bought these units at discount are having issues and those who paid full price are you having issues? Perhaps its effecting units within a particular lot or serial number range. I've seen stuff like this happen with Sony TVs in the past which is why i bought a pioneer kuro.

I bought my unit from EE and now i'm wondering if i should open it and set it up but someone on here said that there is no returns if you open it. So i don't know what to do, send it back or open it and try.

You know i NEVER buy anything right away. i always wait a while for reviews and forum posts to come in before i take a leap. I jumped on this because of the discounted price and was sick and tired of waiting for my perfect dream big purchase monster AVR to be released. i wanted to hook up my ps3 and experience bluray and the new sound formats and needed hdmi for that. My old receiver does not do multi channel pcm. I am wondering now if i should have just stuck to my "rules" Any thoughts?

ah so now i know exactly what your problem is with this denon.
see this easy explanation here

//bc

iirc afaik fwiw imo
post #637 of 10513 Old 07-09-2010, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Fyi im using the game video mode for my wii and xbox 360 upconverting both to 1080p with the 3311 and im not experiencing any lag that i can tell. Granted im not a hardcode gamer but it seems lag free to me.
post #638 of 10513 Old 07-09-2010, 10:01 PM

Handshake issues? I'm not sure this is one...I have BDP-320 (Pio) hdmi to my 3311..WHen i turn on all the electronics, I receive a display from the Pio saying a NEW HDMI has been found, and I should run the setup again. Ran the setup, all was good! Turned everything off, then back on, damm error popped up again. Does this qualify? I thought maybe the HDMI came loose, checked connections, turned off/on, same error.

IP scaling with D*tv...Yesterday I watched with IP off, just as a pass thru. Today I switched it to on, 1020, 24P. I noticed a bit of what looked to be static. My family also noticed and commented on how bad it looked. We were watching Nat.Geo or something like that. Just a lot of fuzz/static with it on. Going to turn it off and see what happens. My TV is a Panasonic 65V10 so yes it can handle 1080/ 24P.

Today I set up the audyssey in auto. I ran it thru, pretty cool sounds. THis is my first receiver with Audyssey, so its all new to me. Everything ran flawlessly. I need to read BatPigsWorld webiste and set all the manual stuff. For now, i'm in Pure direct watching Avatar, and DAYUMMMMMM I never knew sounds like this can output from my speakers...Tho..I think i need a new CC now...

Lastly, someone mentioned iPod not playing. I also cannot get my iPhone to play. I tried a few times, and it just goes to a black screen, that has the pause/play, & song length on it. It wont allow me to play the iPhone. It plays on my actual iPhone, but no sound thru the receiver. I'll tray some more over the weekend, not sure whats up with it.

No FW yet, 1 thing at a time, this weekend if I have time tho. I will plug in the network cable.

So far, I am impressed though. If i can rid the BD HDMI error, and get iPhone to play, I'll be a happy camper.

Off to see what new speakers I should buy?

oh, we are watching at about -7db...so, 0 db is reference? seems like my CC starts to degrade a bit, the towers seem fine tho. might have a couple tweaked up woofers in the CC.
post #639 of 10513 Old 07-09-2010, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [KYA]Mega View Post

I honestly don't think there is any chance they are selling any sort of defective units or B-Stock. You have the same chances of getting a lemon from EE that you do from your local high-end A/V store. It's just a bit easier to return it to the store, but for $300 off, I think it's well worth the risk to get it online.

Having just returned a defective 2310, the return shipping part was actually easy. Phone call, got the RMA label in email, print it out and take the unit packed to the original packaging it came in to the UPS Store. Just hoping will get my money back without a hassle. I did take the unit to a Denon Service Center to verify the defect the day before, though...
post #640 of 10513 Old 07-09-2010, 11:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 710 Post(s)
Liked: 1311
Quote:

IP scaling with D*tv...Yesterday I watched with IP off, just as a pass thru. Today I switched it to on, 1020, 24P. I noticed a bit of what looked to be static. My family also noticed and commented on how bad it looked. We were watching Nat.Geo or something like that. Just a lot of fuzz/static with it on. Going to turn it off and see what happens. My TV is a Panasonic 65V10 so yes it can handle 1080/ 24P.

just because your TV can handle 24p doesn't mean that is the correct resolution to which you should scale! content off the D* box is not intended to be viewed at 24fps.... leave it at 1080p/60.

1080p/24 is really only of benefit with hi-def film sources, which already ARE in 24p on the disc, so you don't need to scale them anyway...

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #641 of 10513 Old 07-10-2010, 12:06 AM

quick question, is there away to pass the audio threw hdmi to tv and avr at the same time, thanks, as well my main remote does not want to go into the menu settings the back up remote does but this main remote will not i took the batteries out did a system rest but same issue

From jdsmoothie "Before returning your Denon as being defective ... "Reset the Microprocessor" (see Owner's Manual for instructions)
post #642 of 10513 Old 07-10-2010, 12:09 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thank you so much guys for all your help and taking the time to answer my questions. It is nice to hear that a bunch of you have not had issues at all. I guess you're right I have 3 years+ 1 additional year cause I used my Amex. Plus I have 30 days. I typically buy from stores but the discount was too good a deal to pass up. This is not my final system, it is just my temp one that I will move to my bedroom when I get my final one. At least I can move forward now with watching blu-ray and new sound formats and buy me time to pick my final system out. Which is why the online deal was so good. I saved $400 and thus won't feel the pinch when moving it to my bedroom 5.1 system. It's was the way I managed to convince the wife to get it and at the same time upgrade my bedroom avr and still keep my living room open for an upgrade.

So the guy who said I'm suffering from buyer's remorse is way off and does not apply to me . The clue should have been that I own a $7000 kuro tv + a ton of other pricey but reliable gear. I have no issue spending money on excellent quality product. I'm big on quality and reliability. We don't go out much as we don't like the rat race or crowds so enjoying a flick at home with great gear is awesome

Thanks again for all your help. I will report back when I have it all set up.

One last question though, I will have to run a new HDMI cable via the in wall conduit in my room. Should I get an hdmi cable with Ethernet for future proofing? Does anyone know how this works in that does each device get it's own ip via the dhcp or does it share one ip with other devices in the chain? My house is hardwired for Ethernet and I have an 8 port switch providing net access to my gear.
post #643 of 10513 Old 07-10-2010, 05:26 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked: 1521
Quote:

I am really starting to worry now as i am thinking perhaps this is why i got such a big discount. Perhaps some of these units have known defects. I know retailers discount stuff but i got 24% which seems too good to be true especially considering it just came out and were selling out at full price. I'd like to know if anyone who bought these units at discount are having issues and those who paid full price are you having issues? Perhaps its effecting units within a particular lot or serial number range. I've seen stuff like this happen with Sony TVs in the past which is why i bought a pioneer kuro.

I bought my unit from EE and now i'm wondering if i should open it and set it up but someone on here said that there is no returns if you open it. So i don't know what to do, send it back or open it and try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcave View Post

When someone discovered the 24% off coupon from Electronics Expo, I thought the deal was too good to pass up. I, too, worried about such a big discount on a brand new product AND about buying it from an internet retailer I wasn't that familiar with. I was totally sure that a day or so later I'd get a message stating that the coupon code was a mistake and that they were going to charge me full price. Didn't happen.

I realize you both are well beyond worrying at this point, however, just to set aside any fears others may have .... Electronics Expo is located very close (about 30 minutes I believe) to the Denon warehouse in NJ and has been a Denon "authorized on-line vender" for many years now. One of the requirements for being an "authorized" vendor is that the vendor MUST receive their stock directly from Denon. Unless the item is advertised as "open box", EE only sells new stock.

Also, the on-line vendors generally ALWAYS heavily discount their products shortly after release, although as I've said several times, you have to call them to get their best price as their websites will often show MSRP for quite some time after the product is released. Even the 3310 (MSRP $1499) was down to $900 very soon after it's release.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #644 of 10513 Old 07-10-2010, 05:28 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Is the mic that comes with 3311 have a long enough cord?

Chris (Audyssey co-founder) has indicated that you can add as much as a 25' extension to the original 25' mic cord if necessary.

"JD" –
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

post #645 of 10513 Old 07-10-2010, 05:34 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme22 View Post

quick question, is there away to pass the audio threw hdmi to tv and avr at the same time, thanks, as well my main remote does not want to go into the menu settings the back up remote does but this main remote will not i took the batteries out did a system rest but same issue

AFAIK, the only way to do this is to also run another audio cable to the TV from your source. The HDMI Audio Out setting is either AMP or TV, but not both. Also, with the new 2011 AVR remotes, Denon has pre-stored component remote codes for the various input source labels (eg. SAT/CBL is the DirecTV code). AFAIK, the way to get the Denon menu is to press the AMP button on the remote first, otherwise if you've used the remote to select a particular input source, the buttons will react based on that pre-stored component code.

"JD" –

post #646 of 10513 Old 07-10-2010, 06:01 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

One last question though, I will have to run a new HDMI cable via the in wall conduit in my room. Should I get an hdmi cable with Ethernet for future proofing? Does anyone know how this works in that does each device get it's own ip via the dhcp or does it share one ip with other devices in the chain? My house is hardwired for Ethernet and I have an 8 port switch providing net access to my gear.

As you've already got the ethernet cable laid, not really necessary although if the cost is fairly similar wouldn't hurt either. Denon is working on a method for owners of the "non-ethernet" models to install firmware updates at home. Enabling the "ethernet over HDMI" feature in the 2012 models would solve this problem.

"JD" –

post #647 of 10513 Old 07-10-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

AFAIK, the only way to do this is to also run another audio cable to the TV from your source. The HDMI Audio Out setting is either AMP or TV, but not both. Also, with the new 2011 AVR remotes, Denon has pre-stored component remote codes for the various input source labels (eg. SAT/CBL is the DirecTV code). AFAIK, the way to get the Denon menu is to press the AMP button on the remote first, otherwise if you've used the remote to select a particular input source, the buttons will react based on that pre-stored component code.

Thanks jdsmoothie, as well when you are in INPUT SETUP mode can you change
each source and save them for your daily needs, from the picture below

Video> BD
MENU>INPUT SETUP>VIDEO>VIDEO CONVERT=ON/OFF
MENU>INPUT SETUP>VIDEO>i/p Scaler=ANALOG or ANALOG & HDMI
MENU>INPUT SETUP>VIDEO>RESOLUTION(HDMI)=AUTO, 480P, 720P, 1080i or 1080P

From jdsmoothie "Before returning your Denon as being defective ... "Reset the Microprocessor" (see Owner's Manual for instructions)
post #648 of 10513 Old 07-10-2010, 08:09 AM

I had to turn the video convert off. it was creating some weird banding. Didn't take a picture, but think of a sun rise, where it's bright yellow and then gradually becomes orange. instead of a gradual transition, there were very obnoxious bands going on. not sure if there's a setting that can disable this other than turning the video convert off, because now I've lost my on screen display.
post #649 of 10513 Old 07-10-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skooba View Post

I had to turn the video convert off. it was creating some weird banding. Didn't take a picture, but think of a sun rise, where it's bright yellow and then gradually becomes orange. instead of a gradual transition, there were very obnoxious bands going on. not sure if there's a setting that can disable this other than turning the video convert off, because now I've lost my on screen display.

it would be nice to see a picture of what you are talking about!

post #650 of 10513 Old 07-10-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:

Thanks jdsmoothie, as well when you are in INPUT SETUP mode can you change
each source and save them for your daily needs, from the picture below

Video> BD
MENU>INPUT SETUP>VIDEO>VIDEO CONVERT=ON/OFF
MENU>INPUT SETUP>VIDEO>i/p Scaler=ANALOG or ANALOG & HDMI
MENU>INPUT SETUP>VIDEO>RESOLUTION(HDMI)=AUTO, 480P, 720P, 1080i or 1080P

The Video Select parameter permits you to use video from another input - just leave it on the default of Source, which means you are adjusting the video settings for the currently selected input. The settings are memorized by input, so each of the inputs that are set up (i.e. have video and audio assigned in the Input Assign section) has their own settings that are automatically used when you select that input.

post #651 of 10513 Old 07-10-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:

???? Certainly don't have anything like that going on with any of my sources.

post #652 of 10513 Old 07-10-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khollister View Post

The Video Select parameter permits you to use video from another input - just leave it on the default of Source, which means you are adjusting the video settings for the currently selected input. The settings are memorized by input, so each of the inputs that are set up (i.e. have video and audio assigned in the Input Assign section) has their own settings that are automatically used when you select that input.

Thanks im trying to kick the wife and kid out to set this baby up LOL

post #653 of 10513 Old 07-10-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:

it woul dof been nice to see a picture of what you are talking about!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khollister View Post

???? Certainly don't have anything like that going on with any of my sources.

Ok here is an example. In the first photo you can see the upper right and bottom right show very noticeable banding. In the 2nd photo they aren't there.

1. With Video Convert ON:

2. With Video Convert OFF:
post #654 of 10513 Old 07-10-2010, 09:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 710 Post(s)
Liked: 1311
what source is this with? and how is it connected?

does it happen with all sources or just one source?

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

post #655 of 10513 Old 07-10-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

what source is this with? and how is it connected?

does it happen with all sources or just one source?

Directv hr23 via hdmi, haven't tried my ps3 yet

edit: Ok I just tried the ps3. Same problem.
post #656 of 10513 Old 07-10-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:

Directv hr23 via hdmi, haven't tried my ps3 yet

edit: Ok I just tried the ps3. Same problem.

skooba can you please try from your HD box & Ps3 right to your tv, please
and let us know if this issue happens, thanks

post #657 of 10513 Old 07-10-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:

skooba can you please try from your HD box & Ps3 right to your tv, please
and let us know if this issue happens, thanks

it doesn't happen that way. That's how I had it hooked up before I got the receiver and I never had any issues. As soon as I hooked it up through the Denon it was apparent. Turning off video convert is my only solution, but I'm not sure if I can live with that. Might have to exchange it for a different unit.
post #658 of 10513 Old 07-10-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:

it doesn't happen that way. That's how I had it hooked up before I got the receiver and I never had any issues. As soon as I hooked it up through the Denon it was apparent. Turning off video convert is my only solution, but I'm not sure if I can live with that. Might have to exchange it for a different unit.

what type of HDMIu cables do you have?

post #659 of 10513 Old 07-10-2010, 11:12 AM

i am wondering if it is a cable issue

post #660 of 10513 Old 07-10-2010, 11:21 AM

using monoprice cables. but if it were the cables, wouldnt the problem present itself when hooked up directly to the TV as well? I don't recall seeing this banding on my old onkyo receiver.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 3311ci Receiver , Denon , Receivers Amplifiers
Gear in this thread - 3311ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page