The **Official** Denon 3311CI/ 991 Owner's Thread NO PRICE TALK - Page 28 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-14-2010, 07:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by [KYA]Mega View Post

I just plugged my 3GS into the front USB, then pressed the iPod button on the Denon remote and it immediately started playing (seemed to be on random). I was then able to navigate through my Artists, Albums, etc on the TV, and when I selected a song, the cover art showed up. Everything worked beautifully.

I thought the sound had a bit too much trebel, and I disabled the "restore" feature and everything sounded normal. All my stuff is ripped using Exact Audio Copy and LAME set to Variable Bit Rate 192kbps minimum, so it's near archive quality, so I think the restore feature is just not needed for stuff ripped that HQ.

I think I'll be using that feature quite a bit. It's really handy.

192kbps is nowhere near archive quality if you're audiophile, as CD's are encoded at 600-1400 kbit/s, typically between between 700 and 900 kbps.

I'd suggest just ripping to FLAC files since high capacity storage is very cheap these days, so you might as well go for the full CD quality
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarno View Post

Kids were watching TV while they heard a "firecracker blowing up" (their words) inside the receiver, not the speakers. Power led blinks about twice a second, which, according to the manual's troubleshooting section could be due to a shorted speaker cable. The cables look ok, and nothing was touched, so I though maybe one of the speakers had shorted.

3311 was mildly warm, and started powering up normally, but then turned off after about 2 seconds, and the power led started blinking red about twice a second. Same after disconnecting everything (but the power cord) and waiting for the unit to completely cool down (couple of hours).

Connecting back everything to the old receiver (12 years old Yamaha) and a HDMI switch everything else than the 3311 works. According to the manual this is the "contact Denon service" situation. Needless to say that since this happened within 36 hours of delivery, and after about 4 hours of use, the AVR is going back to the dealer.

This being second defective China made Denon within a month, my next receiver will not be made in China. Haven't given up on Denon yet, though

Pick up the 3311, turn upside down, and listen. Anything moving around in ti like a blown fuse, any water from a children's drink leak out?

"What we do in life echoes in eternity." General Maximus Decimus Meridius
Old 07-14-2010, 08:41 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked: 1924
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvader View Post

I also noticed when on DVD, Sat/Cbl I have to hit AMP before I get the Amp menu but on the tuner or net/usb I don't... guess that makes sense but not real consistent.

If you refer to p. 91 of your Owner's Manual you'll see the note that discusses how the remote now holds pre recorded remote codes for the various input sources. Pressing MENU when an "external" device source name is selected will no longer bring up the AVR's menu.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Call me --> 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor and dealer for AVRs and Speakers 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 07-14-2010, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaco View Post

192kbps is nowhere near archive quality if you're audiophile, as CD's are encoded at 600-1400 kbit/s, typically between between 700 and 900 kbps.

I'd suggest just ripping to FLAC files since high capacity storage is very cheap these days, so you might as well go for the full CD quality

You missed something. I did not say I use 192kbps. I said I use VBR 192kbps minimum. What that means is every frame is analyzed and encoded anywhere between 192 and 320 depending on if there will be perceivable loss. It also encodes total silence at 32kbps to save space.

Also, I don't want to get too far off topic, but I hope you understand that while yes, MP3 compression is lossy, there is quite a bit that can be applied before any perceivable loss occurs. If you can honestly say that you notice a difference between a 320kbsp MP3 vs. FLAC or WAV then you have better ears/equipment than I.

Regardless, I don't fall into the trap of a measurable difference must mean it is perceivable. To me this is the same argument as if the receiver weighs more, it must sound better. I use my ears as the judge. I am an audiophile only in the sense that I know what I like, and I know what my limits of perception are, and am not willing to go overboard spending money or wasting storage space on the diminishing returns of incremental improvement.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:53 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

My question is to whether Denon will offer that as an upgrade to the 3311, as the previous breakthru DEQ/DVol was offered as an upgrade to the 3808, etc. Has anyone heard anything about it?

My understanding is that new DSP's are required and therefore (as Chris (Audyssey) indicated), it is not firmware upgradeable.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Call me --> 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor and dealer for AVRs and Speakers 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Old 07-14-2010, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:

Hey Djoel, welcome back...I didn't have any network issue but did have HDMI issues...ughhh...but jdsmoothie helped me out (I put an HDMI powered HDMI switch in) and it solved my problems...but it took a while, so I filled up a few pages too

HDMI handshake issue folks...make sure you try these suggestions HERE I put in the the Powered HDMI switch which "buffered/made my components happy" and all my HDMI issues went away.

I actually think that the Denon has a newer / possible more strict or "picky" HDMI/HDCP implementation and my (and possible other older components such as lots of aging DVRs and in my case an older panel) have an older possibly less strict / loose implementation...or vice versa ... but they didn't really like/want to talk to each other and the powered switch did the trick along with getting the power up order correct. Sure I wanted to not deal with it, and it took a few times, and I had a switch laying around, but now I have no issues at all....

I had never used and HDMI switching receiver before so I wasn't sure what to expect.

I am fully operational and quite happy.

Thanks, and glad your HS issues were solved... Sounds like your good with your 3311ci..

DJoel
Old 07-14-2010, 12:27 PM

On paper, MultEQ XT 32 is a huge improvement compared to MultEQ XT. Would anyone care to speculate on how big of a difference it'll actually make in sound quality (barely noticeable, marginal, moderate, huge)? For anyone who's gone from a Denon model with plain old Multi EQ to one with XT, is there a big difference?
Old 07-14-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

it's possible also that your 3311 is slightly different than my 2310... I don't even have a NET/USB input!

In my post yesterday, I asked about displaying the GUI in NET/USB mode when no video input signal was present.

Batpig and bvader kindly replied, and it seems that that the GUI has resolution 480i when there is no video input signal present and my Panny monitor doesn't take 480i input.

A suggestion was to play around with the i/p scaler, but this doesn't seem to change the output resolution of the GUI in this situation.

Any other ideas? Thanks!
Old 07-14-2010, 01:13 PM
585-645-1006

If Video Convert is set to "ON" and i/p Scaler is set to either "Analog" or "Analog & HDMI" and you're still not getting the GUI, then another option is to connect a composite video cable from the composite monitor out jack to your TV.

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Old 07-14-2010, 01:43 PM

jdsmoothie, thanks for the reply!

I'll try it out this evening when I get home. I'm optimistic since the Panny manual says that the component input can handle 480i (unlike the HDMI input).

This forum rocks.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

To me this is the same argument as if the receiver weighs more, it must sound better.

If you are referring to a comment I posted earlier about the difference in weight between the 3311 and 3808, then you misunderstood.

More weight does not necessarily mean an amp will sound better. However, it does usually mean it is constructed of better materials, and, most importantly, has a more robust power supply (where most of the weight goes other than the chassis). A more robust power supply almost always means a more powerful amp and an amp that can handle dynamic ranges better. That usually translates to better sound, audible to most people with at least a moderate ability to perceive sound quality. In the case of the 3311 vs 3808, to my ears, the difference in SQ is audible, if subtle. The difference is overall acoustic output is also audible, and not very subtle.

That being said, it's still a helluva AVR for the discount price at which one can get it. (At MSRP, not so much.)

Quote:

I use my ears as the judge. I am an audiophile only in the sense that I know what I like, and I know what my limits of perception are, and am not willing to go overboard spending money or wasting storage space on the diminishing returns of incremental improvement.

I couldn't agree more. It's quite a refreshing attitude to read on these types of boards.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:

Kids were watching TV while they heard a "firecracker blowing up" (their words) inside the receiver, not the speakers. Power led blinks about twice a second, which, according to the manual's troubleshooting section could be due to a shorted speaker cable. The cables look ok, and nothing was touched, so I though maybe one of the speakers had shorted.

3311 was mildly warm, and started powering up normally, but then turned off after about 2 seconds, and the power led started blinking red about twice a second. Same after disconnecting everything (but the power cord) and waiting for the unit to completely cool down (couple of hours).

Connecting back everything to the old receiver (12 years old Yamaha) and a HDMI switch everything else than the 3311 works. According to the manual this is the "contact Denon service" situation. Needless to say that since this happened within 36 hours of delivery, and after about 4 hours of use, the AVR is going back to the dealer.

This being second defective China made Denon within a month, my next receiver will not be made in China. Haven't given up on Denon yet, though

Ya man, you put my hope for the 3311 ci in doubt now. Did you use 4ohm speakers and listen at loud level for a long period of time?

How the heck did you blow up 2 units within a month? I am waiting for the 4310 ci/4810co price to drop so I can get something made in Japan but you know that you never can tell if the electronic parts inside of all these 4310/4810ci.... are also made in China and being assembled in Japan.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoan View Post

Ya man, you put my hope for the 3311 ci in doubt now. Did you use 4ohm speakers and listen at loud level for a long period of time?

How the heck did you blow up 2 units within a month? I am waiting for the 4310 ci/4810co price to drop so I can get something made in Japan but you know that you never can tell if the electronic parts inside of all these 4310/4810ci.... are also made in China and being assembled in Japan.

2310 I had did not "blow up", but had "ground hum" when video conversion was on. My speakers are 8 Ohm rated B&Ws, right now only the main front pair, so only 2 amps were on. Listening level was very low due to this taking place at midnight.

You are right about the components, they may be from anywhere. Also, it might have been just a fuse blowing up, but usually there is a reason for that happening.

The unit has 3 year warranty, and normally I would have taken a replacement, knowing that if anything happens after the initial 30 days warranty would cover the repair cost (up to the 3 years), but I'm moving shortly and will forfeit US warranties, and did not want to take the risk of having another unit that fails after the move.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18628239 View Post

Pick up the 3311, turn upside down, and listen. Anything moving around in ti like a blown fuse, any water from a children's drink leak out?

No liquids near the unit :-)

I did not turn it upside down, would have been nice to see if anything is moving inside, though. I DID do the microprocessor reset (which succeeded), but it still would not turn on after that, went directly to the "protection mode" without anything connected. The dealer made me call Denon for troubleshooting, and I learned exactly what the manual says (failed amp). Dropped the unit at UPS Store for return this morning.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

My understanding is that new DSP's are required and therefore (as Chris (Audyssey) indicated), it is not firmware upgradeable.

Chris explicitly stated that XT 32 takes the same MIPS as XT == same amount of DSP computing power needed, and it is up to the vendors to decide what they do with it. See http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post18880119
Old 07-14-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:

2310 I had did not "blow up", but had "ground hum" when video conversion was on. My speakers are 8 Ohm rated B&Ws, right now only the main front pair, so only 2 amps were on. Listening level was very low due to this taking place at midnight.

You are right about the components, they may be from anywhere. Also, it might have been just a fuse blowing up, but usually there is a reason for that happening.

The unit has 3 year warranty, and normally I would have taken a replacement, knowing that if anything happens after the initial 30 days warranty would cover the repair cost (up to the 3 years), but I'm moving shortly and will forfeit US warranties, and did not want to take the risk of having another unit that fails after the move.

I know the feeling. I shipped back two of the 2310ci to the dealer due to bad HD tuner module. Having seen the MADE IN CHINA on the back of these units gives me a bad feeling and I was right. Will see......
Old 07-14-2010, 03:20 PM

i am loving this unit

From jdsmoothie "Before returning your Denon as being defective ... "Reset the Microprocessor" (see Owner's Manual for instructions)
Old 07-14-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garypen View Post

If you are referring to a comment I posted earlier about the difference in weight between the 3311 and 3808, then you misunderstood.

I will admit that your earlier post about the weight difference probably inspired me to choose that as my otherwise random measure of sound quality that does not involve ears. But I certainly did not mean it to be a jab at you personally or to discredit the fact that heavier does usually equate to better quality, which can manifest itself in more ways than just sound quality (such as longer lasting, running cooler, etc.).

Old 07-14-2010, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyPV View Post

jdsmoothie, thanks for the reply!

I'll try it out this evening when I get home. I'm optimistic since the Panny manual says that the component input can handle 480i (unlike the HDMI input).

This forum rocks.

Hey andy when I get a chance I will see what I was doing but I was definitely getting a 1080i menu on tuner and net/usb inputs via HDMI

Quote:

If Video Convert is set to "ON" and i/p Scaler is set to either "Analog" or "Analog & HDMI" and you're still not getting the GUI, then another option is to connect a composite video cable from the composite monitor out jack to your TV.

But how do you make sure that Video Convert is On for a source that has not source. i.e. when you go the video menu when on input tuner there *is no* Video Convert setting...unless I am missing something

Long Live The Gorn!
Old 07-14-2010, 03:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1354 Post(s)
Liked: 1715
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark754 View Post

On paper, MultEQ XT 32 is a huge improvement compared to MultEQ XT. Would anyone care to speculate on how big of a difference it'll actually make in sound quality (barely noticeable, marginal, moderate, huge)? For anyone who's gone from a Denon model with plain old Multi EQ to one with XT, is there a big difference?

It's impossible to predict/quantify the actual improvement, as it really depends on your room. If you have a nice acoustic space, then the gains may be pretty marginal... if your room is an acoustic nightmare, the gains may be large.

Most people who go with MultEQ > XT (or XT > Pro) generally talk about it adding "polish", making things more "transparent", and improvement the tonal / timbre matching among the speakers more precisely (such that when a sound pans around the room it doesn't change tone/timbre at all). In general, I would imagine that going from XT > XT32 will fall into the realm of "diminishing returns" for most people, but there are those who are willing to pay a premium for that last bit.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Old 07-14-2010, 04:01 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

But how do you make sure that Video Convert is On for a source that has not source. i.e. when you go the video menu when on input tuner there *is no* Video Convert setting...unless I am missing something

If the source doesn't have the setting then it's a moot point. All you can confirm is that i/p Scaler is set to either "Analog" or "Analog & HDMI".

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Old 07-14-2010, 04:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1354 Post(s)
Liked: 1715
there will be no video options for non video sources... for example, the CD input, the TUNER input, etc. are audio-only, so there is nothing to convert!

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Old 07-14-2010, 06:04 PM

i have a question when i am watching BD movie 24P the master volume does not show up on my plasma, but if i am listening to the HD radio it shows the master volume,
is there away to correct his thanks

From jdsmoothie "Before returning your Denon as being defective ... "Reset the Microprocessor" (see Owner's Manual for instructions)
Old 07-14-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:

Sure, no reason why you couldn't. The Denon will work with a minimum of 2.0, but you'll want to start with 2.1 to ensure the sub LFE out works.

Quote:

The point of that note is NOT to signify having ALL speaker posts connected, but rather having the ones you want to use connected before plugging in the power cable.

jd

Is there some damage potential of just plugging it in and turning it on to see it power up or does your explanation come from my Audyssey rationale or even it's just easier not doing it as a first step? I realize I will not hear anything, but wouldn't I expect to see something on either the inside or outside "light up"?
Old 07-14-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme22 View Post

i have a question when i am watching BD movie 24P the master volume does not show up on my plasma, but if i am listening to the HD radio it shows the master volume,
is there away to correct his thanks

I use 24P mode on my PS3, and it works fine for me. Make sure "video convert" is ON for your BD source.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:21 PM
585-645-1006

ClickCardo -

Not at all ... again, the note simply is cautioning you not to have the power on while connecting the speaker wires. That's it.

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Old 07-14-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:

I use 24P mode on my PS3, and it works fine for me. Make sure "video convert" is ON for your BD source.

ps3 works fine it is my blue-ray player that seems to be the issue

Old 07-14-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:

ClickCardo -

Not at all ... again, the note simply is cautioning you not to have the power on while connecting the speaker wires. That's it.

jd, thanks for the relief. now i can power it up before bedtime for some relief.

CC
Old 07-14-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

I would imagine that going from XT > XT32 will fall into the realm of "diminishing returns" for most people

That's what I suspect - that the difference will be minimal to everyone but the most critical listeners. I read an opinion elsewhere that the difference going from MultiEQ to XT is noticeable only at close to reference volume level (not sure how true this is). XT 32 could even be mainly a marketing tactic, like camera makers emphasizing huge megapixel counts when beyond a point, there's virtually no impact on image quality.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:07 PM

I received my 3311 last week. This is my first ever AV receiver. So needless to say I'm a bit overwhelmed! Anyway, I'm building my HT from scratch and the HT room is still being remodelled. I'm about one month away from being able to be able to hook up the components (reveiver, proj, speakers,etc). But after a week of having this unopenned box sitting in my home office I could not resist and had to open it up. I have a small HD tv in the office so I figured I would "test" the unit to make sure it was functional.

Questions:

1. I plugged my Dish Network HDMI into the Sat HDMI input and Monitor 1 output from the receiver to the TV; simple enough. The picture is coming in just fine but no sound. Is this normal? Is this receiver expecting the sound to always be provided by speakers? A settings (one of the hundreds!) that is not set out of the box I need to turn on?

2. If you plug a device using component cables in the SAT input AND another device using a HDMI vcable into the HDMI SAT input (so both in the same input), will the component device be simply ignored or is there a way to toggle between the two?

I know I have tons of reading and experimenting to do but I don't want to waste too much time in this office setup. Just want to make sure I don’t have a defective receiver.

Thanks much.

GO HABS GO!

Tags
Denon Avr 3311ci Receiver , Denon , Receivers Amplifiers