The **Official** Denon 3311CI/ 991 Owner's Thread NO PRICE TALK - Page 281 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8401 of 10482 Old 09-10-2011, 02:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by centauro74 View Post

Subwoofer mode: LFE+Main
Isn't this double bass, I read before that's bad.

Its bad only if your mains have small woofers and that your subs are 12" or less.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8402 of 10482 Old 09-10-2011, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spager View Post

Just curious what speakers do you have and what are the dimensions of your HT room.

I think this is the best question one should have asked before writing down all your logics.
My room size is 5 meters by 8 meters. My front mains have 15" subs, with one mid-range and with two tweeters (custom made with crossover network inbuilt). Center speaker has 12" sub with one mid-range and with three tweeters (custom made with inbuilt crossover), the surround speakers are Jamo tower style having 5-6" subs but i attached extra tweeter and back speakers which are also Jamo towers but with no extra tweeter. I have two custom made subs having 18" subs in each subwoofer cabinet and these are driven by an old is gold pioneer amplifier, quite powerful that half of the volume is enough to drive these 18" subs crazy. Since my room is big enough and that i believe that main and center speakers are much more important then surround and back speakers therefore i did not make surr and b.surr custom made in order to put large woofers there. No need.

Now I have always followed instruction from Chris (from Audyssey) and jdsmoothie from this forum which they always have advised to every one irrespective of knowing the fact what could be the speaker setup of those people. I tried jdsmoothie and Chris advise and set speakers to small, Subwoofer mode to LFE with LPF for LFE at 120Hz and crossover at 60Hz or 80 Hz and just did not get satisfaction and with my own discoveries of changing the variables now finally i concluded that following gives me the best:

Speakers: all large, keeping in view that in any movie surround and back does not produce heavy bass (this is by default authored by movie makers and blu-ray makers) so no harm in keeping surround and back at large as well as they are ready to face the allotted bass.

Subwoofer mode: LFE+Main, why not as my mains having 15" subs easily able to afford extra bass.

LPF for LFE: 80 Hz as it the lowest possible available in my receiver and secondly after great research that although low frequency goes upto 120 Hz but 12oHz bass is not welcoming to subs, try that at your end as i explained and

crossover at 40Hz as my speakers can easily afford low frequencies until as low as 40 Hz.

This setup actually was made after i run the Audyssey setup. I did not change Audyssey/denon setup except i changed sub-woofer mode to LFE+main (as i like more bass, that my subs are capable of) and LPF for LFE from 120Hz to 80 Hz for the reason I stated above.

I am a simple non-electronic person but i was always been interested in audio that at the age of 12 I made myself 50 watt per channel amplifier as my hobby and yet i ended up as Pharmacist.

One thing more, there are many top surgeons and scientists available around the word and yet they do mistakes and believe in something which after some years proved to be wrong. History is full of such examples. The American FDA has approved many drugs in the past but after many years banned them knowing the side effects. Life is full of challenges and discoveries but one must try and be practical and not just follow basic rules and apply on every thing else.
post #8403 of 10482 Old 09-10-2011, 03:17 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by mankhan View Post

Its bad only if your mains have small woofers and that your subs are 12" or less.

I'm guessing that 95%+ of all posters in this thread only have 8"-12" subs.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #8404 of 10482 Old 09-10-2011, 03:51 AM

^^ yes sir, for this reason, i am trying to explain that if rest of 5% do have real big speakers then they should follow some different strategy, preferably what their receivers adjust for them plus others which i have posted earlier.
post #8405 of 10482 Old 09-10-2011, 07:23 AM

Pretty simple issue here that I hope someone can explain and/or fix for me. I have my 3311 connected to my homenetwork which also has a NAS box with builtin media server. I can stream both photos and music from it, my problem is that the quality of the images is poor, really poor. It looks like it's showing a resolution of something like 320x240...streched out on a 50" plasma TV it doesn't look too good :P It works flawless on my PS3 though, so I can only think there's some option I need to tweak on the receiver, but I can't seem to find it. Anyone know? Any help appreciated.
post #8406 of 10482 Old 09-10-2011, 09:52 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Have you tried using another media server ...eg. Twonky?

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #8407 of 10482 Old 09-10-2011, 09:48 PM

Well, I wasn't expecting to be one, but I am a new owner of a Denon 3311ci. I was at BestBuy and I couldn't pass up the clearance model, the display model, selling for $450. It was actually listed at $500, and I was ready to pay that, but since it was open-box, they took another $50 off. Nice! It came with no remote, Audyssey mic or FM antennae, but the salesperson snagged the pieces from another display Denon model so I got all the missing pieces. Nice guy as I don't think he had to do that. I do suspect the remote isn't exactly the one that originally came with the 3311ci as it's the exact same one as my Denon 1712 I bought a couple months ago for my other HT system. Am I missing anything special? I've got a Harmony-clone (AR Xsight Touch) so I can dowlnoad the 3311ci profile so I think I'm OK. Also I did not get the 2nd remote (a zone 2 remote)?

BTW, should I get the extended warranty? It only came with a 1-year warranty, but I can get a 4-year extended warranty from BestBuy/Magnolia for $79. What do you all think? I've got 30 days to decide.

I really like my 1712, but man, this 3311ci is in a different league. Much heavier, and of course a ton more features. I liked my Panasonic XR55 that this will be replacing in my 2nd system, and I don't miss it at all.
post #8408 of 10482 Old 09-11-2011, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Have you tried using another media server ...eg. Twonky?

It is Twonky running actually. I am not able to install whatever I want though, since it's a Qnap NAS with preinstalled software.
post #8409 of 10482 Old 09-11-2011, 04:37 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Can't offer any advice other than making sure you have updated the Twonky software to the most current version.

post #8410 of 10482 Old 09-11-2011, 04:41 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingturtle View Post

Am I missing anything special? I've got a Harmony-clone (AR Xsight Touch) so I can dowlnoad the 3311ci profile so I think I'm OK. Also I did not get the 2nd remote (a zone 2 remote)?

BTW, should I get the extended warranty? It only came with a 1-year warranty, but I can get a 4-year extended warranty from BestBuy/Magnolia for $79. What do you all think? I've got 30 days to decide.

You should be fine with a Harmony remote. Not sure why they told you there was only a 1 year warranty, as you get the same 3 year warranty as when you purchase a new unit. Also, if you purchased with a credit card, your credit card company will likely have a program that adds an additional year making it a total of 4 years. So there's no reason for an extended warranty purchase.

post #8411 of 10482 Old 09-11-2011, 06:07 AM

Thanks JD. 1-year warranty did seem odd to me when I asked the salesperson as I assume Best Buy/Magnolia is a authorized dealer. He wasn't pushing the 4-year extended warranty on me so I thought he might have been telling the truth.

I put the 3311CI on a Best Buy credit card, which I also got since they had a introductory financing offer if I signed up for the card at the time of purchase. I don't suppose any one knows if the BB credit card adds another year of warranty?

Are there handshaking issues with the 3311CI and HTPC/video card cards? My Nvidia 460GTX video card would only work -- pass the video to the Denon then to the HDTV-- when I used the DVI output on the back of my Nvidia videocard. I had to use a DVI to HDMI adapter, and because the DVI won't pass audio, I had to use SPDIF from my motherboard to the Denon optical-in for the audio to work. When I originally tried the HDMI out on the Nvidia card, it didn't pass the video. I tried different HDMI input in the Denon, too. It could be that the Nvidia uses mini-HDMI as its output so I had to use a mini-HDMI to HDMI adapter. Is the adapter the problem?

Also are there any difference in Audyssey mics? The one I received, that the salesperson took from another Denon, looks exactly like the one I have with the Denon 1712. I assume both will work with the 3311CI? I haven't run Audyssey, yet, as even without it, it's sounding pretty good right now.
post #8412 of 10482 Old 09-11-2011, 07:03 AM

Liked: 11
Finally setting up my 991, and page 7 of the manual says "When using a subwoofer with a direct mode, set the direct mode to "On"... blah blah blah...

"When using a subwoofer without a direct mode Make the following settings..." blah blah blah..

Here's the question: This is my 5th Denon avr so far, and I can almost swear that this is the first time I'm running across this expression of "Direct mode" in relation to a sub... No offence meant, but what is a subwoofer with a friggin' "Direct mode" and what is a sub without one? I have a Polk PSW505 and I'm betting it does not have one since the instructions for "Without" are what I have always been familiar with... But I want to be sure because I do not want to flip on all the switches after set-up and find out that I have messed something up...

Also I notice that the subwoofer cable is now supposed go into into a jack marked "pre-out": is this new? I remember when the jack used to be simply marked "subwoofer" or am I hallucinating?

Please bear with my language... I am not trying to be rude... I am just a little frustrated with the Denon manual, and I guess that is what is showing. Any help would be welcome. Thanks.
post #8413 of 10482 Old 09-11-2011, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
IMO

Mankhan; Just a few more thoughts. I am listing a couple of options that you could use depending of your budget and taste.

1. Stay with your setup and enjoy it for it is your personal preference although unconventional.

2. Replace your center and fronts with more conventional speakers with your option of using your current fronts as wides for a more immersive front sound stage or hook your current fronts to the surround back posts and select the "b" setup when playing music, and the normal setting when watching movies and tv .
post #8414 of 10482 Old 09-11-2011, 07:57 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingturtle View Post

Thanks JD. 1-year warranty did seem odd to me when I asked the salesperson as I assume Best Buy/Magnolia is a authorized dealer. He wasn't pushing the 4-year extended warranty on me so I thought he might have been telling the truth.

I put the 3311CI on a Best Buy credit card, which I also got since they had a introductory financing offer if I signed up for the card at the time of purchase. I don't suppose any one knows if the BB credit card adds another year of warranty?

Are there handshaking issues with the 3311CI and HTPC/video card cards? My Nvidia 460GTX video card would only work -- pass the video to the Denon then to the HDTV-- when I used the DVI output on the back of my Nvidia videocard. I had to use a DVI to HDMI adapter, and because the DVI won't pass audio, I had to use SPDIF from my motherboard to the Denon optical-in for the audio to work. When I originally tried the HDMI out on the Nvidia card, it didn't pass the video. I tried different HDMI input in the Denon, too. It could be that the Nvidia uses mini-HDMI as its output so I had to use a mini-HDMI to HDMI adapter. Is the adapter the problem?

Also are there any difference in Audyssey mics? The one I received, that the salesperson took from another Denon, looks exactly like the one I have with the Denon 1712. I assume both will work with the 3311CI? I haven't run Audyssey, yet, as even without it, it's sounding pretty good right now.

AFAIK, the extra year warranty is only offered by Amex, MC, and Visa; however, 3 years should be more than sufficient. Some HTPC cards do have issues connecting with AVRs. You may want to try another card, or connect an HDMI splitter between the HTPC and AVR. Also, all the XX11 and XX12 models all use the same Audyssey mic.

post #8415 of 10482 Old 09-11-2011, 08:08 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmen View Post

Here's the question: This is my 5th Denon avr so far, and I can almost swear that this is the first time I'm running across this expression of "Direct mode" in relation to a sub... No offence meant, but what is a subwoofer with a friggin' "Direct mode" and what is a sub without one? I have a Polk PSW505 and I'm betting it does not have one since the instructions for "Without" are what I have always been familiar with... But I want to be sure because I do not want to flip on all the switches after set-up and find out that I have messed something up...

Also I notice that the subwoofer cable is now supposed go into into a jack marked "pre-out": is this new? I remember when the jack used to be simply marked "subwoofer" or am I hallucinating?

"Direct" mode on a subwoofer simply transfers all bass management to the AVR. It's not common and therefore you'll just want to use the non-direct mode with your Polk. The subwoofer cable goes into the jack marked SW preout.

post #8416 of 10482 Old 09-11-2011, 08:53 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

"Direct" mode on a subwoofer simply transfers all bass management to the AVR. It's not common and therefore you'll just want to use the non-direct mode with your Polk. The subwoofer cable goes into the jack marked SW preout.

Thanks for clarifying the issue, JD. I suspected the whole "direct mode" thing was rather unusual.
post #8417 of 10482 Old 09-11-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spager View Post

IMO

Mankhan; Just a few more thoughts. I am listing a couple of options that you could use depending of your budget and taste.

1. Stay with your setup and enjoy it for it is your personal preference although unconventional.

2. Replace your center and fronts with more conventional speakers with your option of using your current fronts as wides for a more immersive front sound stage or hook your current fronts to the surround back posts and select the "b" setup when playing music, and the normal setting when watching movies and tv .

Thank you spager, appreciate your recommendations. But may i ask why you are advising me these options. Is there any harm of using front and center having 12" and 15" subs? I just simply wish I could invite all the Denon receiver users into my HT just to believe what I am trying to share.

All my idea is to get every thing what a blu-ray offers for each channel i.e., to bring each and every frequency for each channel (as authored by the studio) from disc to speakers untouched, just enhanced and amplified.
post #8418 of 10482 Old 09-11-2011, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

I have a 3311. I use it to switch the HDMI inputs between Blu-ray player, Roku, and ATT Uverse DVR to my Samsung LED TV. That way I have better sound with all.

Lately, when watching the ATT Uverse, the picture will go black for a few seconds (and the sound goes silent), then both come back. This seems to happen several times an hour. So I called ATT Uverse help, and she first had me check for loose cables. Which made me realize that that 3311 might be causing this and not the DVR. So, I suggested that I reconnect the Uverse DVR directly to the TV, bypassing the 3311. So far, in the last hour, there has been no blackouts with the 3311 bypassed.

Any suggestions on what might be going wrong with the 3311, and how to fix?

Thanks,

Jeff
post #8419 of 10482 Old 09-11-2011, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you spager, appreciate your recommendations. But may i ask why you are advising me these options. Is there any harm of using front and center having 12" and 15" subs? I just simply wish I could invite all the Denon receiver users into my HT just to believe what I am trying to share.

All my idea is to get every thing what a blu-ray offers for each channel i.e., to bring each and every frequency for each channel (as authored by the studio) from disc to speakers untouched, just enhanced and amplified.

I am no speaker expert but I feel you are missing the frequencies that a traditional speaker would have with a 6.5 or 8 woofer. Also not sure about your center but does it have the proper voice coil for a true center.

As stated if you like the sound of your current setup enjoy.

This is off topic for this forum so you should probably take this to the speaker forum.
post #8420 of 10482 Old 09-12-2011, 01:13 AM

^^
Thanks for your input. un-fortunately, people have always been following technology and sometimes they go astray with where the creator of technology is taking you. These tower style speaker made by yamaha or jamo, to me are 3rd rated speakers and cannot be compared in sound quality to the speakers of 70's and 80's having proper 12" woofer with 6" mid-range and 1 or 2 tweeters all properly managed by coil crossovers. the present technology is an insult of those speakers and these companies are making them as there is lots of profit in there, due to people's requirement of being look good, fashionable, looks like decoration in room, take much less space, etc. etc. with no real output. These speakers are more in carpenter job then an electronic job. In our times there used to be 50 watt per channel amplifiers which used to deliver amazing sounds and very high output at home level and now even by having latest receivers delivering 165 watt per channel at 6 ohms (like avr-991) these conventional speakers produce nothing that is why i created my own speakers to get out maximum from the receiver and the blu-ray technology. If you browse internet for a while you shall find 100's and 1000's of online retail shops in USA alone which are selling every part of speakers especially large sized subs with 8 ohms, why? so that people like me can have some fun and enjoy real technology at its max. presently people are lazy and dont like to do much, just to wore up ready made stuff as available, they dont want to do things with their hands and just rely on ready made stuff. Its much easy to eat stake at applebees or steak house but its more fun and much cheap and much more delicious if one knows how to marinate a steak and then grill it as per his/her choice.

Chears
post #8421 of 10482 Old 09-12-2011, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
^^^^^

Back in the 70's and 80's there were no powered subwoofers. The best place for the subwoofer is not always the best place for the front speakers so that's why you don't need huge woofers in the front channels. The bigger the room the more subwoofers you can use. They can be placed where they are most effective and you don't have to worry about imaging and all the things that go into front speaker placement. In turn receivers don't need to be as powerful because you are sending low frequencies to the subwoofer which has its own amplification. I'm sure your system sounds good but there is no reason to insult everybody else's system because they don't build their own speakers like you. It takes a lot of research to know how to build a speaker and crossover. Its not as simple as cooking a steak. If you don't know what your doing and just try to throw some speakers together it will sound much worst than going out and buying some speakers from a good manufacturer.
post #8422 of 10482 Old 09-12-2011, 08:35 AM

^^
No, no, no, insult at all, you are taking it entirely different direction and if so here is my apology, i'm just trying to convey my experience and what one can do utilizing stuff in the market. All discussion started with the fact that we cannot manage sound from single perspective i.e., all speakers small, etc. etc., one should study his system capabilities and adjust the avr according to avr's capabilities and to his needs and most precisely rely on your ears. Again i repeat that all i am trying to bring un-touched frequencies from the blu-ray disk (as authored by studio) to the ears through the use of right speakers. My AVR is doing enhancements and amplification only and i am not instructing it to bypass or re-direct frequencies from one channel to another. JUST TRY this way and post your experiences.
post #8423 of 10482 Old 09-12-2011, 08:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

you have some serious misconceptions about acoustics...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #8424 of 10482 Old 09-12-2011, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, no, no, insult at all, you are taking it entirely different direction and if so here is my apology, i'm just trying to convey my experience and what one can do utilizing stuff in the market.

I was not offended, I just don't agree that people should go out and build their own speakers when it takes years of research to figure out acoustics and a great understanding of crossovers and dispersion patterns and all kinds of things that most people (myself included) don't understand well enough to design their own speakers. I think that for 95% of people, it makes more sense to go buy the best speakers you can get with your budget and let the pros handle the difficult stuff. Its great that you built speakers and really enjoy them but its not the way to go for most people.

Quote:

All discussion started with the fact that we cannot manage sound from single perspective i.e., all speakers small, etc. etc., one should study his system capabilities and adjust the avr according to avr's capabilities and to his needs and most precisely rely on your ears.

I agree. There is no one size fits all for audio and it's up to you to make the most out of your system.

Quote:

Again i repeat that all i am trying to bring un-touched frequencies from the blu-ray disk (as authored by studio) to the ears through the use of right speakers. My AVR is doing enhancements and amplification only and i am not instructing it to bypass or re-direct frequencies from one channel to another.

I have no idea what that means but good luck on your journey.

Quote:

JUST TRY this way and post your experiences.

I have spent many hours on system setup and trying to figure out how to get the most out of it. I've tried pretty much every combination of crossovers I could think of and I'm happy with what I have now. Fronts - small & 100hz and center/surr - small & 60hz. That's just works best for my system and that's all that really matters. If you have found a combination that works with your system that's great and I'm happy for you.
post #8425 of 10482 Old 09-12-2011, 10:04 AM

^^well thanks. your remarks are appreciated. Now referring to your remarks that "I have no idea what that means" i am perhaps not able to express myself in this particular regards as no one has ever talked on this (may be). let me try again. When a movie is made, therafter the producers, directors and specially sound engineers pour their all possible abilities to originate sound track. There you shall feel that for each channel there are certain frequencies or pitch of sound has been allotted to each channel that movie maker intends to do that. If the movie maker has designated certain low frequencies to front main and center speakers and un-fortunately speakers are not capable of handling then what to do? obviously here comes the idea that to re-direct those low frequencies from front main and center to your subs. what if main and center speakers are capable of affording those low frequencies then why on earth movie maker or sound engineer shall designate those frequency to these channels, he shall simply allot or add these frequencies to LFE. But no, he doesn't, so i am just trying to bring out from my speakers all possible frequencies, low, mid and high as design by the movie maker. And for that reason companies like Denon still believe that there should be option for LARGE speakers, there should be option for adjustable LPF for LFE and there should be option for LFE+Main (or double bass) so that people like me can fully enjoy each and every channel at its fullest without altering the frequencies. Hope i am able to clear myself, again i am not an engineer and before listening music and now HT is always be my hobby and my knowledge has come from personal experiences over last 30 years or so as i am 44 now and i do believe in healthy discussion. if anyone is annoyed, i shall stop myself right away and mind it that there are always plenty of tweaks available and i have my own which I might not able to share right away.
post #8426 of 10482 Old 09-12-2011, 11:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

you do realize that bass is non-directional, correct?

again, you have some misconceptions which are causing you to draw incorrect conclusions...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #8427 of 10482 Old 09-12-2011, 11:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

and you also realize that the low octaves are dominated by room modes, not radiant energy, correct?

- chris

post #8428 of 10482 Old 09-12-2011, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

@mankhan

I may not agree with all your theories but that's ok. It's all about personal preference and since you're the one who listens to your system, all that matters is you like the sound you're getting. Everybody has different preferences in how they want things to sound so what works for some may not work for others. As long as you like it, that's what counts.
post #8429 of 10482 Old 09-12-2011, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride525 View Post

I have a 3311. I use it to switch the HDMI inputs between Blu-ray player, Roku, and ATT Uverse DVR to my Samsung LED TV. That way I have better sound with all.

Lately, when watching the ATT Uverse, the picture will go black for a few seconds (and the sound goes silent), then both come back. This seems to happen several times an hour. So I called ATT Uverse help, and she first had me check for loose cables. Which made me realize that that 3311 might be causing this and not the DVR. So, I suggested that I reconnect the Uverse DVR directly to the TV, bypassing the 3311. So far, in the last hour, there has been no blackouts with the 3311 bypassed.

Any suggestions on what might be going wrong with the 3311, and how to fix?

Thanks,

Jeff

Hdmi issues;

Here is a post from the Denon 12 series. Try some of these fixes.

Hdmi handshake issues are well documented with Avrs, but after the handshake the avr needs to talk or socialize with the unit until the avr is turned off.

Hdmi is a high quality convenient technology. This being said it is also finicky. Plugging in your source directly to your panel does not pose a problem. The problem occurs when you add something in the middle such as an Avr. Since we know almost all hdmi signals will work source to panel, we have to deduce from that, some where in the mix to various degrees, that the source, ports and hdmi cables, react a little differently causing a slight break in the middle, causing handshake and to a lesser degree socializing issues in isolating cases. Although relativity low in numbers that you will have any serious issues a few will have a minor glitch of some sort.
All mfrs are having difficulties with this issue.

Here are a few recommendations if you are having a socializing issue.

1. Turn off your cec on your tv.

2. Resolution: You can try auto or forcing different resolution from your source, avr and tv but make sure all 3 resolutions are the same.

3. Unplug your hdmi cable from the source that is giving you the problem and make sure that it is in securely also unplug your hdmi cable from avr to tv and make sure that they are in securely.

4. Try different hdmi inputs and make sure that they are plugged in securely.

5. You can try a different combination of your hdmi cables including the one to your tv.

6. Unplug your avr for 10 minutes (soft reset).

7. Try a microprocessor reset remember to save your settings .

8. Replace at least 2 of the cables with new ones: Source (that is giving you trouble) to avr cable, and the avr to tv cable, with a high speed cable. As long as it is high speed there is no need to buy expensive hdmi cables for it has been proven that as long as they are high speed that there is not a difference from the over priced ones. It has also been proven that hdmi cables react differently and new cables has solved issues in the past.
post #8430 of 10482 Old 09-12-2011, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hdmi issues;

Here is a post from the Denon 12 series. Try some of these fixes.

Hdmi handshake issues are well documented with Avrs, but after the handshake the avr needs to talk or socialize with the unit until the avr is turned off.

Hdmi is a high quality convenient technology. This being said it is also finicky. Plugging in your source directly to your panel does not pose a problem. The problem occurs when you add something in the middle such as an Avr. Since we know almost all hdmi signals will work source to panel, we have to deduce from that, some where in the mix to various degrees, that the source, ports and hdmi cables, react a little differently causing a slight break in the middle, causing handshake and to a lesser degree socializing issues in isolating cases. Although relativity low in numbers that you will have any serious issues a few will have a minor glitch of some sort.
All mfrs are having difficulties with this issue.

Here are a few recommendations if you are having a socializing issue.

1. Turn off your cec on your tv.

2. Resolution: You can try auto or forcing different resolution from your source, avr and tv but make sure all 3 resolutions are the same.

3. Unplug your hdmi cable from the source that is giving you the problem and make sure that it is in securely also unplug your hdmi cable from avr to tv and make sure that they are in securely.

4. Try different hdmi inputs and make sure that they are plugged in securely.

5. You can try a different combination of your hdmi cables including the one to your tv.

6. Unplug your avr for 10 minutes (soft reset).

7. Try a microprocessor reset remember to save your settings .

8. Replace at least 2 of the cables with new ones: Source (that is giving you trouble) to avr cable, and the avr to tv cable, with a high speed cable. As long as it is high speed there is no need to buy expensive hdmi cables for it has been proven that as long as they are high speed that there is not a difference from the over priced ones. It has also been proven that hdmi cables react differently and new cables has solved issues in the past.

Connected Uverse DVR directly to TV, bypassing 3311. In two hours, no blackouts. Reconnected 3311 back in HDMI loop, for many hours, still no blackouts.

So what happened? Maybe a loose HDMI cable? Maybe one of life's mysteries.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 3311ci Receiver , Denon , Receivers Amplifiers
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page