The **Official** Denon 3311CI/ 991 Owner's Thread NO PRICE TALK - Page 299 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8941 of 10482 Old 12-30-2011, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal68 View Post

I recently decided to use my Denon 3311Ci as a pre-pro to drive my B&W speakers. I had an old B&K amp (Reference 7270) that I thought I could use to drive the speakers. So I've connected the pre-outs on the Denon to the inputs on the amp using RCA cables, and used a trigger out from the Denon to the trigger in on the B&K. I believe that I've hooked up everything correctly because I have no problem getting audio (or video for that matter). But whenever I turn on my system, I hear a loud pop which I never used to hear before hooking up the amp. Although the pop is not very loud, I'm worried that over time it may damage the B&W speakers. I've tried disconnecting the trigger but that did not resolve the problem. But when I turn down the input controls at the back of the amp, the pop is not as loud anymore. But I feel that by turning down the input controls, I'm also not using the full potential of the amp.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I could eliminate the popping sound I am hearing? Do I need to ditch the B&K amp and try a different amp. The Emotiva XPA-5 appears to be on sale right now and I could try one for 30 days to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for your help.

Cal68

The older B&K's are still very good amps by today's standards, and have been known to be more likely to "pop" at startup do to the sensitivity of the line-in circuit when used with newer receivers. Before you move to a new amp, you might want to try an autosensing power strip first. Here's one that a number have used with success in eliminating the pop, http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Energy-S...ef=pd_sim_hi_1. I use one with my older Carver amp that doesn't have a remote trigger, and it works flawlessly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8942 of 10482 Old 12-30-2011, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by windigo View Post

Just received my new 3311 Thursday, and spent the weekend trying to get video on my TV. It might be my TV, maybe someone here can tell me. I have a Samsung 50" DLP model about 7 years old. It only does 1080i, and has component connections at that resolution. There is a DVI connection and so I have tried both of these. I get great sounding audio, but on my TV screen it says "mode not supported". For the DVI, I'm using an HDMI to DVI cable, and of course component to component for the other. I bought a small new 1080p 19" TV for the kitchen in December and it hooks up and shows well on it. I was using as a source my BD player, and tried using the HDMI into my 3311, which didn't work. Then I tried using the RCA video jacks, and same result. Any ideas? Do I need to provide more information?

I am having the exact same issue. I just got my 3311 yesterday (Thursday), and also have a 50" Samsung DLP about 7 years old, without HDMI. My native resolution is 720p, although it will accept 1080i. I have been using an HDMI > DVI cable with no issues from many different sources, including DISH VIP 622, Moto 7232 DVRs, various BD and DVD players, but with the 3311, I get "not supported mode". I imagine there might be some settings I can adjust, but with no video signal I can't see the setup menu! I am in a Catch-22 situation here. I have tried processor reset and pulling the cables, but still nothing.
post #8943 of 10482 Old 12-30-2011, 07:18 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 1317
^^
You may want to consider adding a DVI Detective to your setup as it generally resolves EDID issues with older DVI TVs.

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=4714

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #8944 of 10482 Old 12-30-2011, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

I will if I have to, but I was hoping for a solution that didn't cost $80.
post #8945 of 10482 Old 12-30-2011, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Rider View Post

The older B&K's are still very good amps by today's standards, and have been known to be more likely to "pop" at startup do to the sensitivity of the line-in circuit when used with newer receivers. Before you move to a new amp, you might want to try an autosensing power strip first. Here's one that a number have used with success in eliminating the pop, http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Energy-S...ef=pd_sim_hi_1. I use one with my older Carver amp that doesn't have a remote trigger, and it works flawlessly!

Thank you very much for this suggestion. I'm definitely going to try it out since it is a much cheaper alternative than buying a new amp! However, I do have a question. How do I integrate it into my system? Do I plug in ONLY the amp into this strip? Or both the amp and the Denon AVR. I ask the question because I have a power conditioner to which the Denon is plugged into.

Thanks again for this terrific idea.

Cal68

Cal68
post #8946 of 10482 Old 12-30-2011, 04:35 PM

I just upgraded from a Harman Kardon AVR-247 to a Denon AVR-991...I have one issue - the picture quality is lower with the Denon than the HK. I've searched the forum, the net and Denon's site for an answer.

I changed the DNR to reduce the picture noise but didn't notice much of an improvement.

Here's what I have:

5.1 surround system - Cambridge Soundworks speakers (FL, C, FR, SL, SR, Sub),
Toshiba LCD television (three to four years old), Comcast Xfinity cable/DVR, PS3, Wii.

Picture when watching a BluRay disc is also lower than it was with the HK.

Cable box, Wii and PS3 connect to the Denon->television

All connections are via HDMI.

I'd appreciate some pointers to correct the issue. I have spent a LOT of time reading the owner's manual and found nothing that will solve the problem.

Thanks in advance!
post #8947 of 10482 Old 12-30-2011, 04:40 PM
585-645-1006

^^
You may simply want to bypass the video card in the 991 by setting the i/p Scaler setting to OFF and just let your source device or TV do the upscaling.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #8948 of 10482 Old 12-31-2011, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thank you very much for this suggestion. I'm definitely going to try it out since it is a much cheaper alternative than buying a new amp! However, I do have a question. How do I integrate it into my system? Do I plug in ONLY the amp into this strip? Or both the amp and the Denon AVR. I ask the question because I have a power conditioner to which the Denon is plugged into.

Cal68

It's rated for 15 Amps, so I wouldn't put all of your devices on it, but it should be able to handle the power conditioner, AVR, and Amp with no problems. I'm guessing the power conditioner itself doesn't have a delayed turn-on feature for amps? If it does, that would act similarly to what the auto-sensing power strip does and you could try plugging the amp into the power conditioner first.
post #8949 of 10482 Old 12-31-2011, 04:14 PM

Anybody got a 3311 they want to sell? I'm in the market for a used one!
post #8950 of 10482 Old 12-31-2011, 04:22 PM
585-645-1006

^^
You may want to consider a refurbished unit which comes with a 1 year warranty ....

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

post #8951 of 10482 Old 12-31-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJF View Post

I sent mine in to Panurgy 4 times for that same problem (5 if I count the local Denon repair center). It got worse as you can see in the video below. They replaced the HDMI board, but the same problem persisted. I kept sending it in, they would say it was to Denon specs, and return the same unit back to me.

Now I have a $1,000 paperweight which Denon refuses to replace and blames it on my "environment". Even though it worked fine for 6 months and nothing in my "environment" has changed. I believe this problem will only get worse over time with other owners units because it's not an out-of-the-box problem, but one that surfaces after a few months

http://youtu.be/XGtu9dqMDlE

I was watching a recording from my SatDVR and it cut out, I re-winded it and no cut out. This leads me to believe that it is the receiver, would a soft or hard reset be the best idea, or just call Denon?
post #8952 of 10482 Old 01-01-2012, 07:57 AM
AJF
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaberst View Post

I was watching a recording from my SatDVR and it cut out, I re-winded it and no cut out. This leads me to believe that it is the receiver, would a soft or hard reset be the best idea, or just call Denon?

I'd pull out the HDMI connectors and then re-connect in case any are loose. Then I'd try a hard reset. If it keeps happening I'd call Denon.

BTW: I removed my 3311, bought a new Marantz 5006 at BB, and installed it in my system, then realized the 6006 has some features that I want, so I exchanged it for that one. Neither one had any problems in my system using the exact same set-up as with the 3311.
post #8953 of 10482 Old 01-01-2012, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

For a Christmas present to myself I pulled the trigger to move to the 4311. As I discussed with JDsmoooooth in this thread some time ago, I wanted a couple more channels for a zone outside my HT and a bit more juice for all the Definitive Tech speakers... 2-SuperTowers, 3-Mythos 10, 6-GemXL and a SVS sub in a pear tree.

As final feedback about my 3311, it has performed GREAT. Period. I had bought a transferable CPS Warranty thru Oct/14 and never had need to use that or the Denon warranty. Sticking with Denon cause I LIKE IT

Coolplazma's HT Den project. Early project info. Needs update with final results.
post #8954 of 10482 Old 01-01-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
You may want to consider a refurbished unit which comes with a 1 year warranty ....

This looks like a perfect match and better warranty:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Denon-AVR-33...item20c0990193
post #8955 of 10482 Old 01-01-2012, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
For those that have Comcast and a 3D tv (I have the Panny 65VT25), and the DVR (3400M) connected thru a Denon receiver (I have the 3311CI), when you watch 3D content from the cable box, are all your transport controls not working (e.g. Stop, pause, rewind, skip, etc.)? Just wondering if it's the receiver causing this behavior, or if the transport controls would work fine if I connect cable box directly to tv? The transport controls would only start working after I take the tv out of 3D mode, which is a pain. Thanks!
post #8956 of 10482 Old 01-01-2012, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmabrain View Post

This looks like a perfect match and better warranty:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Denon-AVR-33...item20c0990193

Note that you are looking at coolplazma's unit (see the post directly before yours). You could PM him if you want more detailed info about it.
post #8957 of 10482 Old 01-01-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:

^^

Nah... Most units people purchased new are only a year or two old so they should be under factory warranty for a bit longer right? Especially if an extended warranty was purchased. I'm starting to get a few PM's about units so thanks everyone for your messages! I've narrowed my search to a 3311 or a Yamaha A1000. Anyone care to attempt to sway me?
post #8958 of 10482 Old 01-01-2012, 04:27 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Note that Denon's OEM warranty is not transferable to a new owner.

post #8959 of 10482 Old 01-01-2012, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Cal68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Rider View Post

It's rated for 15 Amps, so I wouldn't put all of your devices on it, but it should be able to handle the power conditioner, AVR, and Amp with no problems. I'm guessing the power conditioner itself doesn't have a delayed turn-on feature for amps? If it does, that would act similarly to what the auto-sensing power strip does and you could try plugging the amp into the power conditioner first.

Great bang for the buck is a conditioner like this one I have all my components on...
APC H15BLK AV 1.5kVA H Type Power Conditioner
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...03_i00_details

I was pleasantly surprised to see how efficient the 3311 is. When testing the load with the AVR turned way up near max and 7.1ch (Def Tech speakers) in use, the draw reported by the APC was only a few amps and maybe 350-400 watts though it is rated as a 875 watt amp. Go figure. After that testing I had no doubts about adding on HTPC, projector, and all other AV components. Clean power, no buzz, etc, and protection from bumps and spikes.

Power on/off cycling assignments are programmable too, which seems to be what you are looking for.

Coolplazma's HT Den project. Early project info. Needs update with final results.
post #8960 of 10482 Old 01-01-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:

^^
Note that Denon's OEM warranty is not transferable to a new owner.

Awww... thats such BS. Thanks for the info JD. I figured you would have insight on that for me and although it wasn't directed STRAIGHT at you, it might as well have been
post #8961 of 10482 Old 01-01-2012, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmo View Post

For those that have Comcast and a 3D tv (I have the Panny 65VT25), and the DVR (3400M) connected thru a Denon receiver (I have the 3311CI), when you watch 3D content from the cable box, are all your transport controls not working (e.g. Stop, pause, rewind, skip, etc.)? Just wondering if it's the receiver causing this behavior, or if the transport controls would work fine if I connect cable box directly to tv? The transport controls would only start working after I take the tv out of 3D mode, which is a pain. Thanks!

Timmo, the Denon AVR will not touch HDMI 1.4a/3D video signals other than to passthrough. It does no scaling or processing.

Possibly you are experiencing a side effect of IR blasting when your TV is in 3D mode. This is a common problem that can occur in 3D because the emmiters flood entire rooms with IR noise. Try shielding your cable box and retry your transport functions then.

I had similar problems with a JVC IR setup. Moving to MonsterVision 3D using RF is one way to solve the problem of your IR remotes not working.

post #8962 of 10482 Old 01-01-2012, 04:57 PM

Well I finally did my Audessey config in all 8 locations and WOW it sounds amazing.

I do however have one question. I have a set of outdoor speakers on my patio and on my old Yamaha RXV2095 I had a B channel to turn them on and off. How do I do this on the 3311CI?

I also have Bose Acoustimss 10 speakers and I was wondering what the best frequency Is best? I was thinking the higher frequency the better on them.
post #8963 of 10482 Old 01-01-2012, 04:59 PM

I bought my Denon AVR 3311ci from here for 619.99 the week before christmas and I added a 2 year warranty for an additional 29.99. Yes it is a refurb warranty but it has all of the latest hardware installed from the factory so none of those pesky HDMI and network card issues.

Great customer service. I would recommend them to anyone.
post #8964 of 10482 Old 01-01-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasontech2001 View Post

I bought my Denon AVR 3311ci from here for 619.99 the week before christmas and I added a 2 year warranty for an additional 29.99. Yes it is a refurb warranty but it has all of the latest hardware installed from the factory so none of those pesky HDMI and network card issues.

Oh wow... so they DO offer an extended warranty on refurb units? Who is it through?
post #8965 of 10482 Old 01-01-2012, 05:06 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Well I finally did my Audessey config in all 8 locations and WOW it sounds amazing.

I do however have one question. I have a set of outdoor speakers on my patio and on my old Yamaha RXV2095 I had a B channel to turn them on and off. How do I do this on the 3311CI?

I also have Bose Acoustimss 10 speakers and I was wondering what the best frequency Is best? I was thinking the higher frequency the better on them.

If you are using a 5.1 setup in the main zone, you can use the SBL/SBR speaker posts set to either Zone 2 or Front B, the former providing independent non-HDMI source/volume and the latter playing the same source/volume as is playing on the Front A speakers.

post #8966 of 10482 Old 01-01-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten8yp View Post

Oh wow... so they DO offer an extended warranty on refurb units? Who is it through?

It's through accessories4less. Basically you are getting an insurance policy for the money you spent on the unit. I had excellent customer service with them.
post #8967 of 10482 Old 01-01-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:

If you are using a 5.1 setup in the main zone, you can use the SBL/SBR speaker posts set to either Zone 2 or Front B, the former providing independent non-HDMI source/volume and the latter playing the same source/volume as is playing on the Front A speakers.

Thank you sir. I will try that. I am running 5.1.
post #8968 of 10482 Old 01-01-2012, 05:11 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Note that although AC4L provides excellent customer service as a reseller, the extended warranty they sell (Warrantech) has very poor customer service issues as they more often than not will deny valid warranty claims. You would be better served buying a SquareTrade warranty instead.

http://www.bbb.org/fort-worth/busine...d-tx-86060022/

http://www.bbb.org/greater-san-franc...cisco-ca-35878

post #8969 of 10482 Old 01-01-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:

It's through accessories4less. Basically you are getting an insurance policy for the money you spent on the unit. I had excellent customer service with them.

Oh... so basically they are just gonna give you store credit if you have issues with the unit that deem it inoperable?

Quote:

Note that although AC4L provides excellent customer service as a reseller, the extended warranty they sell (Warrantech) has very poor customer service issues as they more often than not will deny valid warranty claims. You would be better served buying a SquareTrade warranty instead.

http://www.bbb.org/fort-worth/busine...d-tx-86060022/

http://www.bbb.org/greater-san-franc...cisco-ca-35878

Wow... thats unreal. That Warrantech company is garbage! How does one go about getting a warranty from squaretrade vs. the other? Just ask the customer service rep when making the purchase?

And JD... how do you know so damn much about this stuff? LOL. You are awesome man. Just a WEALTH of Denon knowledge...
post #8970 of 10482 Old 01-01-2012, 05:45 PM
585-645-1006

^^
As it turns out ... AC4L is just a few miles down the street from me. I visited with the owner a couple months ago (when I first learned they had recently become an authorized Denon refurbished reseller) to check out his facility and suggested at the time that he consider dropping Warrantech and use another more reputable Extended Warranty company. He only sells the Warrantech, so you would have to deal with SquareTrade directly if making a purchase from AC4L. It may cost a bit more than the Warrantech ... but at least you'll know you're not throwing your money down the drain.

http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/?cc...FQmd7QodVnOInA

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 3311ci Receiver , Denon , Receivers Amplifiers
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page