The **Official** Denon 3311CI/ 991 Owner's Thread NO PRICE TALK - Page 300 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8971 of 10496 Old 01-01-2012, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
As it turns out ... AC4L is just a few miles down the street from me. I visited with the owner a couple months ago (when I first learned they had recently become an authorized Denon refurbished reseller) to check out his facility and suggested at the time that he consider dropping Warrantech and use another more reputable Extended Warranty company. He only sells the Warrantech, so you would have to deal with SquareTrade directly if making a purchase from AC4L. It may cost a bit more than the Warrantech ... but at least you'll know you're not throwing your money down the drain.

http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/?cc...FQmd7QodVnOInA

Thats really kewl. So you have first hand knowledge of their operation and products and such. And you still recommend them huh? Thats good info. So any word whether he is considering dropping warrantech?

I'm gonna PM you about contacting squaretrade if I decide to go this route instead of buying one used.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8972 of 10496 Old 01-01-2012, 06:18 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked: 1371
^^
I recommend them ONLY in the instance that you cannot get a brand new unit at one of the several authorized "new" resellers (eg. AV Science, Electronics Expo, 6Ave, J&R, etc.) that provide upwards of similar discounts as does AC4L, yes as he does indeed provide excellent customer service and has been doing so for over 10 years and is well known on AVS forum for the other brands he has been selling ... esp. Onkyo and Marantz. Also, rather than paying for an extended warranty at all, check with your credit card company as they may add an additional 1 year for FREE giving you a full 2 year warranty which is plenty.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #8973 of 10496 Old 01-01-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:

^^
I recommend them ONLY in the instance that you cannot get a brand new unit at one of the several authorized "new" resellers (eg. AV Science, Electronics Expo, 6Ave, J&R, etc.) that provide upwards of similar discounts as does AC4L, yes as he does indeed provide excellent customer service and has been doing so for over 10 years and is well known on AVS forum for the other brands he has been selling ... esp. Onkyo and Marantz. Also, rather than paying for an extended warranty at all, check with your credit card company as they may add an additional 1 year for FREE giving you a full 2 year warranty which is plenty.

Gotcha I have a platinum Citi which does offer extended warranties on most products. I haven't seen any really good deals on the 3311 lately and most of the information investigations I do on here (and on the internet in general) are "what can I get with my money" types of browsing. I like to stay up to date with current market trends on products I'm interested in (Home Audio/Video in this case.)

I would love to get PM's if anyone knows of any or finds any good deals on a new 3311 but at this point all I'm finding is around $200-$250 higher costs. Not sure its worth it on a new one considering I would have to download all of the firmware updates and such AND from what I've seen the warranty wouldn't be much, if any, different.
post #8974 of 10496 Old 01-01-2012, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

Note that although AC4L provides excellent customer service as a reseller, the extended warranty they sell (Warrantech) has very poor customer service issues as they more often than not will deny valid warranty claims. You would be better served buying a SquareTrade warranty instead.

http://www.bbb.org/fort-worth/busine...d-tx-86060022/

http://www.bbb.org/greater-san-franc...cisco-ca-35878

Agree with the above and have SquareTrade on some AV components and cameras. I believe CPS (Consumer Protection Service - cpscentral.com) also has a pretty good name in the industry, so I choose either depending on the sales pricing at the time.

My 3311 I mentioned earlier has 2.75 years remaining on the CPS (unused) warranty. Now that's a spell! Nice that these are transferable too.

Personally, I steer clear of refurb electronics like amps. Just too sketchy in my books and I do not have the patience to mess around with some else's supposedly fixed problems. Amps are either Golden or Garbage depending what end of the assembly line they fall off of.

Coolplazma's HT Den project. Early project info. Needs update with final results.
post #8975 of 10496 Old 01-02-2012, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Rider View Post

It's rated for 15 Amps, so I wouldn't put all of your devices on it, but it should be able to handle the power conditioner, AVR, and Amp with no problems. I'm guessing the power conditioner itself doesn't have a delayed turn-on feature for amps? If it does, that would act similarly to what the auto-sensing power strip does and you could try plugging the amp into the power conditioner first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolplazma View Post

Great bang for the buck is a conditioner like this one I have all my components on...
APC H15BLK AV 1.5kVA H Type Power Conditioner
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...03_i00_details

I was pleasantly surprised to see how efficient the 3311 is. When testing the load with the AVR turned way up near max and 7.1ch (Def Tech speakers) in use, the draw reported by the APC was only a few amps and maybe 350-400 watts though it is rated as a 875 watt amp. Go figure. After that testing I had no doubts about adding on HTPC, projector, and all other AV components. Clean power, no buzz, etc, and protection from bumps and spikes.

Power on/off cycling assignments are programmable too, which seems to be what you are looking for.

Thanks guys. I've already ordered the power strip recommended by Dark Rider, so I'm going to check it out and see if it works before I get a new power conditioner. But if the power strip does not do the trick, then coolplazma's suggestion is definitely one to consider.

For now, I have been manually turning off the amp when I shut down the system, and manually turning it back on a few seconds after I power up my system. This prevents the popping sound from occuring, but it is not a very practical long term solution. But it certainly shows that that even a ten second delay in turning on the amp helps prevent the popping sound from occuring.

Thanks again for your help.

Cal68

Cal68
post #8976 of 10496 Old 01-02-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:

Personally, I steer clear of refurb electronics like amps. Just too sketchy in my books and I do not have the patience to mess around with some else's supposedly fixed problems. Amps are either Golden or Garbage depending what end of the assembly line they fall off of.

I'm noticing that a lot; particularly on this forum. Ex. many people have had issues with their Onkyo's but I have never had one. Same with Denon and really any of the AVR manufacturers. Its just a matter of whether you get a good one or a lemon.

Other-
Anyone have any idea when the Denon website will be back up? I'm trying to find out some information on bluetooth connectivity on the xx12 and xx11 models? Specifically if the 3311 has it or if you have to buy an external antenna like you do with Yamaha and Onkyo?
post #8977 of 10496 Old 01-02-2012, 10:29 AM

Liked: 10
My two blu ray player don't work through my 3311 anymore I get a notice on the the tv screen say the tv does not except this resolution It worked for the last year not it does not. I have plugged the blu ray players directly in to the tv and it works fine. Not sure if it some from the lasted up on the 3311 that may have caused it.
Samsung 60D700
Sony ps3
Samsung blu ray 5500
Any help????
Thanks in advance
post #8978 of 10496 Old 01-02-2012, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Timmo, the Denon AVR will not touch HDMI 1.4a/3D video signals other than to passthrough. It does no scaling or processing.

Possibly you are experiencing a side effect of IR blasting when your TV is in 3D mode. This is a common problem that can occur in 3D because the emmiters flood entire rooms with IR noise. Try shielding your cable box and retry your transport functions then.

I had similar problems with a JVC IR setup. Moving to MonsterVision 3D using RF is one way to solve the problem of your IR remotes not working.

Thanks for the info and tips. Very interesting that 3D mode would cause that. I recently bought the Harmony Link so I'll test to see if that makes it work any better (though probably not).

On a different note, I wish the tv would go into auto-3D mode when receiving a 3D signal from cable box. The tv does it when receiving the signal from panny 3D bluray player.
post #8979 of 10496 Old 01-02-2012, 02:11 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothjake View Post

My two blu ray player don't work through my 3311 anymore I get a notice on the the tv screen say the tv does not except this resolution It worked for the last year not it does not. I have plugged the blu ray players directly in to the tv and it works fine. Not sure if it some from the lasted up on the 3311 that may have caused it.
Samsung 60D700
Sony ps3
Samsung blu ray 5500
Any help????
Thanks in advance

You may want to try replacing the HDMI cables and/or resetting the microprocessor (p. 116).

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #8980 of 10496 Old 01-02-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:

You may want to try replacing the HDMI cables and/or resetting the microprocessor (p. 116).

I have tried that still does not work
post #8981 of 10496 Old 01-02-2012, 04:47 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Are you using the i/p Scaler on the AVR or just passing the video through the AVR with i/p Scaler set to OFF? If the former, then try setting the Video Resolution to a specific resolution vice AUTO. If you cannot get it to work to your satisfaction then give Denon a call for warranty repair.

post #8982 of 10496 Old 01-02-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:

^^
Are you using the i/p Scaler on the AVR or just passing the video through the AVR with i/p Scaler set to OFF? If the former, then try setting the Video Resolution to a specific resolution vice AUTO. If you cannot get it to work to your satisfaction then give Denon a call for warranty repair.

I just turned everything on and it is all working Strange. For 5 days it did not work. I will be keeping a eye on it. Gremlins??? Thanks for your input JD
post #8983 of 10496 Old 01-03-2012, 09:35 AM

OK, I upgraded my AVR 991 with the free Airplay update; no problems. I have Itunes on a small laptop that is connected to my house's Wifi network. I clicked on the little icon that is supposed to connect it with the receiver, but can't get it to work. How should the receiver be set to get it to connect/to play the music?

Does the computer have to be accessible via a wired connection? What am I not understanding?
post #8984 of 10496 Old 01-03-2012, 02:49 PM

One quick question. I have a apple tv and on my old Yamaha rxv2095 I had zero problems. With the 3311ci on some movies it have zero audio. Only the sub makes noise. And the input says stereo. Has anyone else encountered this problem? I chaned the hdmi input from game to sat/cable thinking that would make a difference but it didn't. I also connected a digital audio cable and that didn't do anything either.

Any ideas?
post #8985 of 10496 Old 01-03-2012, 02:59 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwar View Post

OK, I upgraded my AVR 991 with the free Airplay update; no problems. I have Itunes on a small laptop that is connected to my house's Wifi network. I clicked on the little icon that is supposed to connect it with the receiver, but can't get it to work. How should the receiver be set to get it to connect/to play the music?

Does the computer have to be accessible via a wired connection? What am I not understanding?

No, you don't need to have a wired connection. Just make sure that you choose The "denon AVR 911" on the airplay icon on iTunes. I was having problem syncing today with the Denon and i just did a soft reset by unplugging the Receiver power cord for 10 min and that fixed the problem. So do that and restart iTunes while you're at it.

PS;
i believe under your network setup your network standby should be set to "ON"
post #8986 of 10496 Old 01-03-2012, 03:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasontech2001 View Post

One quick question. I have a apple tv and on my old Yamaha rxv2095 I had zero problems. With the 3311ci on some movies it have zero audio. Only the sub makes noise. And the input says stereo. Has anyone else encountered this problem? I chaned the hdmi input from game to sat/cable thinking that would make a difference but it didn't. I also connected a digital audio cable and that didn't do anything either.

Any ideas?

what is your amp assign set to?

can you look at the display on the receiver and see if the "B" speakers are lit up (instead of "A") when this happens

basically, what is happening is that your receiver is "expecting" that you have a separate pair of stereo speakers for 2ch listening, so when you are in the STEREO surround mode it is muting the front speakers in expectation of some other speakers doing the job instead. This can either be caused by (1) having amp assign set to 2CH and (2) altering the FRONT SPEAKER SETUP menu to indicate that you want to use "B" speakers for stereo 2ch.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #8987 of 10496 Old 01-03-2012, 03:34 PM

I have amp assign on 2ch. Multi channel surround main and stereo/direct main. How should I have it for 5.1? Normal mode added to side speakers and I don't have them. Should I use bi-amp? It looks like a 5.1 setup.
post #8988 of 10496 Old 01-03-2012, 03:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
That's what I thought. 2ch is the wrong setting: http://batpigworld.com/setup.html#amp_assign

Normal or Zone 2 is fine for a 5.1 setup.

Also, when you get a movie with 2ch audio you can change the surround mode to matrix the 2ch to 5.1 (e.g. by pressing STANDARD and engaging PLIIx Cinema).

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #8989 of 10496 Old 01-03-2012, 04:29 PM

I figured out the standard button after the last post I did. I also changed to zone 2.

Thanks for all of the help you guys rock!!!
post #8990 of 10496 Old 01-03-2012, 04:32 PM

One more question. I have Bose acustimas 10 speakers. What frequency should I have the the front, center, and surround set to? I've heard that since they are satellite speakers they should be set to the highest HZ is this correct? 250Hz I guess. What do you think?
post #8991 of 10496 Old 01-04-2012, 03:45 PM

Been struggling my 3311 a bit since I got it last February and was wondering if anyone had come across a similar issue since I last posted. I'm not even convinced it's the receiver's fault.

My set up is as follows:

Cable Box (4 year old Moto model - Time Warner) (HDMI) to Denon
PlayStation 3 (HDMI) to Denon
TiVo (also very old) (S-Video) to Denon

The TiVo is an emergency DVR and I use it to record news and assorted things I don't want to clog my primary DVR with on a daily basis. Cable box outputs up to 1080i and is set to auto-detect.

The problem I have manifests in two forms:

1 - I'm watching the TiVo then switch to the Cable Box. HD channels show at 480i (the TiVo resolution); cable box indicates a 480i signal on the display. This happens frequently (but not all the time.) Turning the cable box off/on restores the correct resolution.

2 - I do the above and the HD signal comes through but it starts to clip in and out (you can see the Source from the TV UI flash on screen as it does that) - screen flickers blocky artifacts as well. Turning the cable box off doesn't remove the flickering (this is an interesting point) but turning it back on causes everything to stabilize at the correct resolution.

Once I settle in to an HD channel no problems recur - the issues only surface when switching resolutions.

I realize the cable box is old, and the TiVo is old, and my inclination is to think the core problem may be coming from those sources. The real oddity is when the video signal flickers in (2) above and continues to flicker after the cable box is off (at this point the Denon isn't getting a video source.)

Could the cable box just be struggling in understanding what signal to push through to the receiver - I just don't know.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Been reading these forums for a long time!
post #8992 of 10496 Old 01-04-2012, 04:13 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasontech2001 View Post

One more question. I have Bose acustimas 10 speakers. What frequency should I have the the front, center, and surround set to? I've heard that since they are satellite speakers they should be set to the highest HZ is this correct? 250Hz I guess. What do you think?

Run AUTO SETUP and let the AVR set their crossovers .. that's it's job.

post #8993 of 10496 Old 01-04-2012, 04:23 PM

I just had an Epson Pro Cinema 6010 projector installed but have issues with the display in 3D via my Denon3311 (current firmware). I am running a PS3 (new, update firmware) to the Denon and then to the projector. What I am having issues with is a red pixelated haze. I've attached pictures of the issue to show examples when watching Disney's A Christmas Carol and with just Netflix.
I have tried and HDMI powered booster which doesn't change anything. I've done multiple display setting changes on both the PS3 and the Denon.
When I run directly from the PS3 to the projector I do not have any problems with the display so it's obviously something with the Denon. My installer said it's likely the Denon and it's ability to handle 3D.
I called Denon and they said use a shorter HDMI cable (not possible since the projector is mounted to the ceiling!). They really had no other recommendations so I'm stuck with a Denon 3311 that can't handle my 3D playback.
LL
LL
post #8994 of 10496 Old 01-04-2012, 04:29 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Use a shorter cable if only to test that the cable length has an effect. What brand of HDMI cable are you using and how long is it from the AVR to the PJ? What brand of HDMI powered booster? Did you connect the booster at the PJ end of the HDMI cable? You may want to consider replacing the HDMI cable and using another brand of HDMI extender.

post #8995 of 10496 Old 01-04-2012, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmark12pa View Post

I just had an Epson Pro Cinema 6010 projector installed but have issues with the display in 3D via my Denon3311 (current firmware). I am running a PS3 (new, update firmware) to the Denon and then to the projector. What I am having issues with is a red pixelated haze. I've attached pictures of the issue to show examples when watching Disney's A Christmas Carol and with just Netflix.
I have tried and HDMI powered booster which doesn't change anything. I've done multiple display setting changes on both the PS3 and the Denon.
When I run directly from the PS3 to the projector I do not have any problems with the display so it's obviously something with the Denon. My installer said it's likely the Denon and it's ability to handle 3D.
I called Denon and they said use a shorter HDMI cable (not possible since the projector is mounted to the ceiling!). They really had no other recommendations so I'm stuck with a Denon 3311 that can't handle my 3D playback.

Reading through your problem I was set to suggest a testing a shorter HDMI cable, then saw that Denon already suggested that You never mention what your installer used for a HDMI cable or length?

I ran 3D through my 3311 for a year with no problems after I purchased a Bluejeans bonded series-1 40ft cable. Prior to that a cheaper 35ft cable caused all kinds of problems.

You need to at least test it with a decent 1.3 (or higher) spec cable of a length within the standards which I believe is <= 25ft max. So pull your AV components (Denon and ps3) over to the pj and use a short cable to test it.

If we are taking bets, my money is that the installer did it (wrong). To be fair, he may be right... the Denon can't pass 3D to the PJ, but the rest of the story is probably that the cable is choking the signal.

If we are right, I'd settle for a photo of you tossing a pie in the installers face.

Coolplazma's HT Den project. Early project info. Needs update with final results.
post #8996 of 10496 Old 01-04-2012, 04:50 PM

The HDMI from the Denon to the projector is about 30 feet. It's Binary brand and latest type of cable which is what the installer uses in all of his projects (he's extremely knowledgeable as he is also a Control4 installer and I'm not sure what he could possibly screw up since it's basically just the HDMI in and then out. )
If it is a cable issue I don't even want the 3311 anymore. If it's working from the PS3 directly to the projector one would think the Denon should be capable of handling the signal. I've had good luck with this repeated on my HDMI matrix that runs the rest of my TVs in my home via Control4 automation so it shouldn't be an issue and I believe it's a Denon problem but they were completely rude on the phone saying they've never heard of such an issue...
post #8997 of 10496 Old 01-04-2012, 04:56 PM

Another option that my installer suggested is this:
DVDO Edge Green High-Definition Video Processor and Connectivity Hub Solution

I am planning on ordering from Amazon to see if that clears this issue...
post #8998 of 10496 Old 01-04-2012, 05:03 PM
585-645-1006

^^
As is often mentioned in these threads .. just because an HDMI signal passes from the source to the TV/PJ doesn't mean it will be strong enough to pass through an HDMI repeater (ie AVR) to the TV. You don't mention if the booster was placed at the PJ end or not? Did the installer even bother to try a different cable and/or booster? There should be no harm in ordering a High Speed HDMI cable from Blue Jeans as you can likely return it if you get the same result, although as you paid an installer, I would put the onus on the installer to resolve the issue and not blame it on the AVR.

post #8999 of 10496 Old 01-04-2012, 05:17 PM

I did try the booster next to the receiver and also next to the projector and no difference. What's interesting in my installer is an authorized Denon distributor and he said once Denon merged with Marantz their quality took a dive. He said basically the video portion of the Denons is junk and with the DVDO I would be bypassing the Denon's video handling all together. So at this point I think that is what I will be doing.
What's interesting is with my old Mitsubishi TV, when I had my previous cable box running throught the Denon but used the passthrough mode, I also had alot of artifact when the Denon wasn't even powered on (6 foot HDMI runs) and so something with the Denon video processing is not what it should be...
post #9000 of 10496 Old 01-04-2012, 05:26 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Too funny ... Denon and Marantz merged almost 10 years ago. Did you purchase the AVR from him as well? And if yes, did he try replacing it? As you can see .. it's just as easy to place the blame on the installer as it is for him to blame the AVR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmark12pa View Post

What's interesting is with my old Mitsubishi TV, when I had my previous cable box running throught the Denon but used the passthrough mode, I also had alot of artifact when the Denon wasn't even powered on (6 foot HDMI runs) and so something with the Denon video processing is not what it should be...

If the Denon wasn't even ON, how could it be doing any video processing?

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 3311ci Receiver , Denon , Receivers Amplifiers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page