The **Official** Denon 3311CI/ 991 Owner's Thread NO PRICE TALK - Page 301 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9001 of 10559 Old 01-04-2012, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When the Denon has the HDMI pass through it, something is not right with the 3311 whether powered on or if it's in passthrough mode...
Again, this isn't an installer issue... the Denon IS the problem... If I run direct to the projector (same cable, same source) no issue... run through the Denon, artifact all over... so whether or not the Denon can't use a certain type of HDMI cable or just has poor video processing is really what I'm trying to figure out....
I didn't buy the Denon from him as I didn't use his services until recently... but he's been working with Denon products for 20 years (just stopped using them in past several years as he has noted decreased quality of their products.... reading through several other forums I see several issues with defective 3311s... a friend of mine actually had to get the 4311 just to handle higher power output for his speakers because the 3311 would shut off)..
You mentioned the video issues... Would it be reasonable to take into a Denon service center to have them check the video output?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9002 of 10559 Old 01-04-2012, 07:17 PM
AJF
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmark12pa View Post

When the Denon has the HDMI pass through it, something is not right with the 3311 whether powered on or if it's in passthrough mode...
Again, this isn't an installer issue... the Denon IS the problem... If I run direct to the projector (same cable, same source) no issue... run through the Denon, artifact all over... so whether or not the Denon can't use a certain type of HDMI cable or just has poor video processing is really what I'm trying to figure out....
I didn't buy the Denon from him as I didn't use his services until recently... but he's been working with Denon products for 20 years (just stopped using them in past several years as he has noted decreased quality of their products.... reading through several other forums I see several issues with defective 3311s... a friend of mine actually had to get the 4311 just to handle higher power output for his speakers because the 3311 would shut off)..
You mentioned the video issues... Would it be reasonable to take into a Denon service center to have them check the video output?

I sent mine in to Denon repair 4 times and the issue was never resolved, and they won't send me another unit. They refuse to admit that there is a problem even though it's clearly shown in my video.:

http://youtu.be/XGtu9dqMDlE

They blame my system "environment" even though I installed a Marantz 5006 and then a 6006 in the same exact "environment" without any problems.
post #9003 of 10559 Old 01-04-2012, 07:55 PM

Liked: 13
Hi Guys,
I Want to go into the setting and turn off "D.Comp" and "DRC" but i can't see the options. do these setting depend on the content (Blu-ray)
post #9004 of 10559 Old 01-04-2012, 08:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1145 Post(s)
Liked: 1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfather View Post

Hi Guys,
I Want to go into the setting and turn off "D.Comp" and "DRC" but i can't see the options. do these setting depend on the content (Blu-ray)

Correct, as discussed on my website. There is a table in your manual which shows you which settings are available with which surround modes.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #9005 of 10559 Old 01-04-2012, 08:45 PM

Liked: 13
Thanks brother!
post #9006 of 10559 Old 01-04-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmark12pa View Post

I just had an Epson Pro Cinema 6010 projector installed but have issues with the display in 3D via my Denon3311 (current firmware). I am running a PS3 (new, update firmware) to the Denon and then to the projector. What I am having issues with is a red pixelated haze. I've attached pictures of the issue to show examples when watching Disney's A Christmas Carol and with just Netflix.
I have tried and HDMI powered booster which doesn't change anything. I've done multiple display setting changes on both the PS3 and the Denon.
When I run directly from the PS3 to the projector I do not have any problems with the display so it's obviously something with the Denon. My installer said it's likely the Denon and it's ability to handle 3D.
I called Denon and they said use a shorter HDMI cable (not possible since the projector is mounted to the ceiling!). They really had no other recommendations so I'm stuck with a Denon 3311 that can't handle my 3D playback.

I don't have a specific solution, however, I have a similar setup - i am running an Epson 5010e (which i understand is identical to the 6010 - only wireless) though the Denon 3311 with no issues running 3D. I am using an older/original ps3 vs the newer models. Everything was plug and play out of the box for the epson. As there are no cables involved (other than a very short run to the transmitter) i'm guessing that the issue is with the cables and/or a fault with your specific unit.
post #9007 of 10559 Old 01-04-2012, 10:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think its pretty well obvious by now based on all of the customer ratings and reviews that Denon does NOT do a great job with the video processing portion of their AVRs as I stated earlier.

Add one more person to the long list.

Thanks for sharing the negative info about the 3311's 3D video processing to your projector DrMark (which is quite nice btw). That even further helps me decide on which avr to buy considering I will be wanting to upgrade to a pj (probably an Epson) in a year or so.

I think the cause is a perpetual battle between onkyo and denon fans. Some like one. Some like the other. Both are hit or miss. I think I'm gonna stick with onkyo who have always done me right.
post #9008 of 10559 Old 01-05-2012, 09:11 AM

I just purchased an AVR3311ci. I'm still learning the unit, but one immediate problem I've having is that the AVR is not sending the analog audio it is receiving from my HTPC (MythTV frontend) or the digital audio from my BD player to the flat-panel (Vizio VL320m) on HDMI-MONITOR-2. The HTPC is connected with DVI---->HDMI and analog audio. I have the BD connected via HDMI and SPDIF (coax), and the AVR input setup to take the audio from the SPDIF coax, because the Sony's menus seem to imply that the HDMI audio may be stereo only.

Both ways, I only hear sound directly from the speakers on the AVR. No sound on the VL320m. The BD player works fine sending its audio over HDMI to the VL320, but no sound from the TV when playing through the AVR3311ci.

Is this an EDID problem? Have I done something wrong?

EDIT: Found the AMP/TV select in the HDMI setup. This works to switch the BR player's audio from speakers to TV. Although I have to say I'm a little surprised at the either/or restriction there, given the digital source, it's tolerable. It would be nice if there was a button for it on the remote, though, as the menu settings is inconvenient to toggle and I generally want to use the AVR's speakers w/PJ on Monitor1 and built-in speakers w/TV on Monitor2.

However--I can't seem to send the analog audio coming into the AVR from the HTPC to the TV. When I switch to that source and attempt to toggle the setting it reverts to Amp. What gives? Will it not send analog audio over the HDMI connection?
post #9009 of 10559 Old 01-05-2012, 01:41 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked: 1747
^^
As you learned the "AMP/TV" setting is listed under HDMI setup implying that only HDMI audio can be passed to the TV (ie. no analog).

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #9010 of 10559 Old 01-05-2012, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten8yp View Post

I think its pretty well obvious by now based on all of the customer ratings and reviews that Denon does NOT do a great job with the video processing portion of their AVRs as I stated earlier.

Add one more person to the long list.

Thanks for sharing the negative info about the 3311's 3D video processing to your projector DrMark (which is quite nice btw). That even further helps me decide on which avr to buy considering I will be wanting to upgrade to a pj (probably an Epson) in a year or so.

I think the cause is a perpetual battle between onkyo and denon fans. Some like one. Some like the other. Both are hit or miss. I think I'm gonna stick with onkyo who have always done me right.

Again, the Denon does NO video processing when in 3D mode, regardless of what settings you have enabled. 3D is simple passthrough. Since the Denon only does passthrough of 3D signals, it is logical to assume some signal loss due to the extra connections and signal path attenuation.

Also again, I had a similar problem with connecting HDMI through my 3311 over a long run and using a cheaper cable. Shorter cables within the spec worked and so upgrading to a 40ft Bluejeans bonded cable worked well at a long run length.

If you wish to experiment with boosters instead of replacing cables and not confident about the one you have, try this:

HDMI Signal Booster/EQ unit
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/...ries/index.htm

Of course a VP is another more expensive way to go and you'll have the plus of being able to perform good video calibrations.

Good luck!

Coolplazma's HT Den project. Early project info. Needs update with final results.
post #9011 of 10559 Old 01-05-2012, 02:21 PM

Thanks for the confirmation JD, it is appreciated. Denon's documentation is thorough, and I'm guessing the I/O matrix in back might have answered the question with more study but I found it a little bewildering.

I would have done more to test the options myself, but the components for the upgrade I have underway arrived ahead of all the interconnects (most of my old stuff was analog.) Still it seemed best to setup and test as much as possible promptly upon receiving the unit. I guess the V-Link I ordered for that HTPC turned out to be less of a luxury than I thought.

I bought this 3311ci from Amazon Warehouse dealsaside from doing a settings reset, are there any 'famous' model specific issues I should check for that might have prompted a previous return, etc? Not that I'm all that worried, with the manufacturer's warranty extended via CC.

I should also note that the strong participation in the Denon and Marantz threads was a big reason for settling on this unit, so a general thanks goes out to everyone here at AVS.
post #9012 of 10559 Old 01-05-2012, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

one option for streaming audio is to use Airplay (install the update if you haven't yet on your AVR) and then download Airfoil on your PC. Airfoil can "hijack" the Airplay stream to send audio from any application to the AVR via the network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post

I was a little disappointed to learn that the Airfoil app entails a $25 licensing fee. Still, it is a worthwhile upgrade and I'm glad to support the software development community.

Thank you, batpig, for the original suggestion (post #8636). I'm now back to streaming my favorite jazz station (101.ru "Romantika Jazz") to my 3311 straight from Moscow via my networked Windows PC. Отлично!

I've been using Airfoil for Windows for about two months now and wanted to report on my experience.

I have a networked Windows Vista PC and an AVR-3311CI, which is connected to my router via cat6 and gigabit switch. After a few Airfoil sessions I started noticing occasional audio dropouts, which eventually become long and frequent enough to make listening to music extremely frustrating. To make a long and time-consuming story short, after much troubleshooting and numerous e-mail exchanges with Rogue Amoeba software support personnel, I am now on my third "development build" (beta) version of Airfoil for Windows and so far the dropouts seem negligible.

The current software version on the Rogue Amoeba website is 3.1.3, and I am using version 3.2.0 b8. I am passing this info along for the benefit of any others who have been suffering the same issues. I found Paul Kafasis, Airfoil Production Manager, particularly helpful in resolving the problem. His team can be contacted via the "Contact Us Directly" link on the Airfoil Support webpage.
post #9013 of 10559 Old 01-05-2012, 04:25 PM

That is very interesting. I use Airfoil on OS X, but I haven't upgraded to the recent major release because last I asked Rogue Amoeba couldn't say whether the Linux version of Airfoil Speakers would work with it. (My understanding is that only with the new release can Airfoil stream directly to Airplay sinks.)

Other misc airfoil thoughts:

Even with the previous release there is some post-install magic required to get the linux player going. I need that functionality, as I use the Myth frontends distributed around my house to run AF-Speakers and play Airfoil's audio through their local receivers/speakers. (This is also a neat in that whole-house music is mixed with MythTV audio content by the front end.) Also, I've found that having wifi clients active tends to create problems, so I have wired all endpoints.

I'd be curious indeed to hear more about these dev builds--Windows only?--and about anyone's Airfoil + Denon experiences, generally.
post #9014 of 10559 Old 01-05-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolplazma View Post

Again, the Denon does NO video processing when in 3D mode, regardless of what settings you have enabled. 3D is simple passthrough. Since the Denon only does passthrough of 3D signals, it is logical to assume some signal loss due to the extra connections and signal path attenuation.

Also again, I had a similar problem with connecting HDMI through my 3311 over a long run and using a cheaper cable. Shorter cables within the spec worked and so upgrading to a 40ft Bluejeans bonded cable worked well at a long run length.

If you wish to experiment with boosters instead of replacing cables and not confident about the one you have, try this:

HDMI Signal Booster/EQ unit
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/...ries/index.htm

Of course a VP is another more expensive way to go and you'll have the plus of being able to perform good video calibrations.

Good luck!

Sorry for the incorrect naming... processing or pass through. Whatever. Point is, Denon doesn't do VIDEO as a whole very well in comparison to other AVR's according to many users.
post #9015 of 10559 Old 01-06-2012, 01:00 AM

Hi,

I purchased a 3311ci last year and was using in the USA fine for 6 months. Then I brought it to India when I moved here, now the problem is I have to use a PAL to NTSC converter between Digital STB and Receiver to get the NTSC TV bought in USA to display cable channels, I am using Atlona Video converter I bought from Amazon to do this.

My set up is like below

STB HDMI out ---> Video Converter HDMI In ---> Video Converter HDMI Out ---> 3311ci TV/Sat HDMI In ---> Monitor out1 HDMI ---> TV HDMI1 In.

Now the problem is every 5 seconds, the video drops and then comes back in a second or two, no problem with the audio though.

Then I connect like below leaving out Receiver, every thing is fine. I don't like this set up though, TV speakers suck.
STB HDMI out ---> Video Converter HDMI In ---> Video Converter HDMI Out ---> TV HDMI1 In.

I have connected my PS3 and DVD player bought in USA like below respectively using HDMI to my 3311ci, everything plays fine, no problems.

PS3/DVD HDMI out ---> 3311ci BD/DVD HDMI In ---> Monitor out1 HDMI ---> TV HDMI1 In.

Only when I connect my STB to receiver via converter video is dropping about every 5 seconds. I don't know if I am missing some thing here. Is there any set up I need to do in either converter or 3311ci?

Thanks in advance for any help.
B.
post #9016 of 10559 Old 01-06-2012, 03:12 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Connect the PAL--> NTSC converter to the TV directly with optical from the STB to the AVR.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #9017 of 10559 Old 01-07-2012, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have a Sony Blu Ray BDP-CX960 hooked up via HDMI to the Denon 3311. My concern is the messages that are seen in the Denon Screen and if Im truly getting 5.1 sound out of the Sony Blu ray. For example, when I play a Led Zepplin DVD that is supposedly in Dolby Digital 5.1 already (says disc features include L-PCM Stereo, Dolby Digital 5.1, or DTS 5.1 on the DVD box), the Denon reciever screen reads either "DTS NEO:6 cinema" or "Dolby PLII Cinema" when I press the STANDARD button. Those are the only two choices I get when I press the STANDARD BUTTON. Shouldn't it automatically make it in 5.1 and the Receiver ccreen should just read DOLBY DIGITAL instead? When I play a Star Wars dolby digital 5.1 DVD the receiver reads DOLBY DIGITAL automatically. I don't have to press anything and it immediately says DOLBY DIGITAL on the receiver screen with the Stars WArs DVD. Whats going on here?
post #9018 of 10559 Old 01-07-2012, 11:31 AM
585-645-1006

^^
If the Denon front panel display doesn't read DD or DTS then you likely don't have the correct codec selected on the BD as the Denon can only play what it receives. When it reads DTS-Neo or PLII it is receiving a stereo signal.

post #9019 of 10559 Old 01-07-2012, 12:39 PM

ok, but the sony BD player hooked up with HDMI cable to Denon 3311 is set to AUTO as its audio output setting. Which means the BD player set to AUTO whith HDMI connections "outputs audio signals according to the status of the connected HDMI device" The only other option for changing the audio output setting of HDMI on the BD is to "2ch PCM" which "downmixes to 2-channel linear PCM" - which I know I don't want to do. right?
post #9020 of 10559 Old 01-07-2012, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by andymusicvideo View Post

ok, but the sony BD player hooked up with HDMI cable to Denon 3311 is set to AUTO as its audio output setting. Which means the BD player set to AUTO whith HDMI connections "outputs audio signals according to the status of the connected HDMI device" The only other option for changing the audio output setting of HDMI on the BD is to "2ch PCM" which "downmixes to 2-channel linear PCM" - which I know I don't want to do. right?

Hi andymusicvideo, with HDMI Audio Out set to "Auto ... also try setting BD Audio Setting to "Direct". Also check if the dvd disc menu has an audio option menu.
post #9021 of 10559 Old 01-07-2012, 01:39 PM

General question - do you guys prefer for the Bly ray player to do the decoding of the audio codec and send raw PCM to the Denon receiver or do you prefer the Denon 3311 reciever to do the audio decoding and have the blu ray bitstream the entire encoded audio track to the Denon? personal preferences out there? Experiences on which are "better"
post #9022 of 10559 Old 01-07-2012, 01:51 PM

as far as that Led Zep DVD, I think it must be the fact that I cant find the menu on the disc itself for selecting 5.1, it defaults to just two channels.

Thanks for help on that one, this is a great website
post #9023 of 10559 Old 01-07-2012, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

thanks for help on that one, this is a great website

+1
post #9024 of 10559 Old 01-07-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:

as far as that Led Zep DVD, I think it must be the fact that I cant find the menu on the disc itself for selecting 5.1, it defaults to just two channels.

Thanks for help on that one, this is a great website

Try switching audio tracks via the OSD while it's playing, if that's available. (The same way you would switch languages or commentary tracks during a movie.) My Sony BDP remote has an "Audio" button for this as well, IIRC.
post #9025 of 10559 Old 01-07-2012, 03:17 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

General question - do you guys prefer for the Bly ray player to do the decoding of the audio codec and send raw PCM to the Denon receiver or do you prefer the Denon 3311 reciever to do the audio decoding and have the blu ray bitstream the entire encoded audio track to the Denon? personal preferences out there? Experiences on which are "better"

They are both equal in audio quality; however, most prefer to have the BDP bitstream the audio so they can read the compressed coded on the AVR front panel display ... ie. DD or DTS rather than "Mult CH IN" when the BDP does it.

post #9026 of 10559 Old 01-08-2012, 02:33 AM

Hello,

I've been trying to incorporate two external amps to run with my 3311ci...

Briefly, my setup is as follows:

3311ci
2 rotel rb980bx power amps
Fronts: NHT 2.9's
Center: Def Tech Mythos 10
Rear: Def Tech pm1000's
PS3

I listen to a lot of music with this setup and wanted to give the 2.9's some good clean power. Ideally, what I would like to do is use the Rotel amps to power the top and bottom sections of my NHT's via the 3311's preamp outs. Using the Denon sub preamp out > 1 Rotel amp > NHT 2.9's 10 inch woofers works great...I have sufficient gain to work with. The problem I've been running into is when I use the FL and FR preamp outs > other Rotel amp > upper section of NHT's I have to crank the Denon to get little to no volume.

Does the Denon provide more "gain" to the SW preamp outs than it does to the FR and FL preamp outs? I'm up for any suggestions as to how I can incorporate both of these Rotel amps into the above setup.
post #9027 of 10559 Old 01-08-2012, 03:49 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Yes, a 10db gain. You can adjust this down -10db (p. 73) or better yet, run AUTO SETUP again with the new configuration.

post #9028 of 10559 Old 01-08-2012, 09:40 PM

I'm baffled by the manual, which I'm reading vigorously, so I can be prepared to set everything up when the 3311 arrives. I'm wanting to use the receiver with a traditional 7.1 speaker set up. I have my speakers wired like the diagram I linked below. The holes are drilled and everything. I have a center channel speaker, large left and right front speakers, medium sized left and right surround speakers, medium sized left and right back surround speakers, and one subwoofer. For the life of me, I can't find this basic set-up in the manual.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Tehg9KBHrd.../config820.gif

If you don't want to use a 5.1 speaker configuration, the manual tells you to turn to page 49. When I turn to page 49 in the manual as instructed, for set-ups other than 5.1, it doesn't show me how to set-up my 7.1 configuration. According to the diagrams, I need either 9 or 11 speakers! I don't have front wide or front high speakers. What should I do? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can't afford to buy more speakers right now. I do have some Bose speakers in another room, but I'd rather just use these 7 matching JBL's. Man this manual is frustrating.
post #9029 of 10559 Old 01-08-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Connect the PAL--> NTSC converter to the TV directly with optical from the STB to the AVR.

thanks JD, will try this out and update this thread with the result.
post #9030 of 10559 Old 01-09-2012, 03:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevolumnus View Post

I'm baffled by the manual, which I'm reading vigorously, so I can be prepared to set everything up when the 3311 arrives. I'm wanting to use the receiver with a traditional 7.1 speaker set up. I have my speakers wired like the diagram I linked below. The holes are drilled and everything. I have a center channel speaker, large left and right front speakers, medium sized left and right surround speakers, medium sized left and right back surround speakers, and one subwoofer. For the life of me, I can't find this basic set-up in the manual.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Tehg9KBHrd.../config820.gif

If you don't want to use a 5.1 speaker configuration, the manual tells you to turn to page 49. When I turn to page 49 in the manual as instructed, for set-ups other than 5.1, it doesn't show me how to set-up my 7.1 configuration. According to the diagrams, I need either 9 or 11 speakers! I don't have front wide or front high speakers. What should I do? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can't afford to buy more speakers right now. I do have some Bose speakers in another room, but I'd rather just use these 7 matching JBL's. Man this manual is frustrating.

Use the 5.1 diagram. The only difference is the inclusion of rear surround r and l in addition to surround r and l. Then do an autocalibration. It will set front r/l to small, if you have a sub.

Best advice google 'batpig set up guide for denon'. You'll get a plain description of what to do.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 3311ci Receiver , Denon , Receivers Amplifiers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page