The **Official** Denon 3311CI/ 991 Owner's Thread NO PRICE TALK - Page 304 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9091 of 10560 Old 01-12-2012, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevolumnus View Post

We have 1080P!

Here is the way I set every source.

Video Mode...Auto
Video Convert...On
i/p Scaler... Analog and HDMI
Resolution(Analog)...Auto
Resolution(HDMI)...Auto
Aspect...Full

Sound right, Bat?

Trying to figure out how to watch one thing and listen to another.

Tried this (and I have the same box and cable system) and I'm still at 1080i. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9092 of 10560 Old 01-12-2012, 09:16 PM

Liked: 11
Try resetting everything again, powering off and on, and try to get it to kick in?
post #9093 of 10560 Old 01-12-2012, 09:19 PM

for the inability to turn on and off the Motorola DCX 3400M cable box. This is a pretty common DVR/Cable box. Has anyone had success getting the stock remote to turn it off and on?

BTW, I watched my first Blu-Ray on the new receiver tonight. The only mode available was DTS-HD MSTR (by pressing the Standard button). It was really impressive though. The movie, Fright Night, sucked, but I was intrigued by all the sound coming from everywhere. Awesome.
post #9094 of 10560 Old 01-13-2012, 04:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfather View Post

It just happened now and i can't get it to play but only when in standard dobly music mode. I just found it weird that running audyssey would make change to those settings. The setting are indeed set to LFE+MAIN. I tried setting them as small Bass to LFE and still, no bass. I'll take a look at your Page soon. Thanks!

I switched dolby plx2 because I also get practically no bass in multichannel stereo or stereo mode.

Are we doing something wrong?
post #9095 of 10560 Old 01-13-2012, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1201 Post(s)
Liked: 1612
can you guys who are having trouble with bass in stereo mode please list these settings:

Manual Setup > Speaker Setup:
- are front L/R speakers set to SMALL or LARGE?
- what is the CROSSOVER FREQ on the front L/R speakers?

Manual Setup > Audio Setup > 2ch Direct/Stereo:
- is this set to BASIC or CUSTOM?
- if it is set to CUSTOM, repeat the above questions (SMALL or LARGE? Crossover?)

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #9096 of 10560 Old 01-13-2012, 11:25 AM

I listen to FM radio in Matrix with a 5.1 set up...but seems little bass compared to DVD Movies that shake the house and paint. Am I not set up right to listen to plain old FM stereo. Does the matrix mess it up by using all 6 speakers? Should I get the thumping bass if I go to just stereo....tried it, but didnt seem to get better. And I know the sub is working...it really tears when I listen to a bluray or DVD movie...but Im guessing they re mixed different etc.

Just doesnt seem to have the chest thumping bass I expected. All set to small and audyssey ran OK.
post #9097 of 10560 Old 01-13-2012, 11:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

FM radio isn't exactly a good source for "thumping" bass. Certainly not going to "shake the house and paint" like an action movie!! What are you expecting?

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #9098 of 10560 Old 01-13-2012, 12:03 PM

bricko, I think that's normal. That's the way it was on my old Denon 3802 as well as my new Denon 3311. It seems like in multchannel stereo the speakers get more of a workout, and the subwoofer gets to rest for a while. I have pretty big speakers, and they thump when the amp outputs mult. chann. stereo, but the sub. doesn't have to do much. The opposite is true for 5.1 or 7.1 movies. The subwoofer rocks the house, and the speakers don't seem to be stressed very much.

BTW, Audyssey made all of my speakers "small". My front mains have 9" woofers, and my side and rear surrounds have 8" woofers, so they aren't exactly small. I think Denon has it right. Music sounds better when it's spread out more, and all the bass doesn't have to come from the sub.
post #9099 of 10560 Old 01-13-2012, 12:17 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

can you guys who are having trouble with bass in stereo mode please list these settings:

- if it is set to CUSTOM, repeat the above questions (SMALL or LARGE? Crossover?)

Hey Batpig that fixed the problem for me, Though i didn't make any changes manually, it was set in customs as 'Large" Sub "NO", then i arrowed to basic then back to custom again then it was set to "Small" and Sub Yes. All by itself- Weird.

Thanks Batpig, I don't know what most of us here will do without you or JDS lol.
post #9100 of 10560 Old 01-13-2012, 01:48 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2195 Post(s)
Liked: 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricko View Post

I listen to FM radio in Matrix with a 5.1 set up...but seems little bass compared to DVD Movies that shake the house and paint. Am I not set up right to listen to plain old FM stereo. Does the matrix mess it up by using all 6 speakers? Should I get the thumping bass if I go to just stereo....tried it, but didnt seem to get better. And I know the sub is working...it really tears when I listen to a bluray or DVD movie...but Im guessing they re mixed different etc.

Just doesnt seem to have the chest thumping bass I expected. All set to small and audyssey ran OK.

Perhaps it would make more sense with the following descriptions ....

2.0 - two channel (stereo) full range audio which may not have much bass content

5.1 - five channel full range audio with a separate (ie. 0.1 or LFE) channel which provides extra "super loud thumping" bass for action movies (explosions and such) above whatever bass is provided in the five channel full range audio.

So the bottom line is that 5.1 will generally "always" provide thumping bass because it has an extra channel of bass that is specifically designed to be about 15db louder for explosions and such in action movies.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #9101 of 10560 Old 01-13-2012, 07:48 PM

I haven't played with zones yet, but maybe he could deal with that situation by sending the FM from main zone through an analog out to a manual EQ for such situations and then back into another input assigned to a secondary zone for monitoring? (So not monitoring the main zone.) Basically, a tape/fx loop imitation through zones? Then he'd be able to artificially "pump" the bass even if that temporarily defeats the purpose of Audessey. Would be an ugly kludge for CD audio, but FM isn't all that great to begin with.
post #9102 of 10560 Old 01-13-2012, 08:12 PM

But where does all the thumping base come from when you are parked by the kid at the stoplight that shakes both his and my car? Why cant I get this at home listening to the radio. Or maybe they are listening to a CD perhaps - with broader frequency spectrum? I guess the FM likely doesnt broadcast that low info.
post #9103 of 10560 Old 01-13-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:

But where does all the thumping base come from when you are parked by the kid at the stoplight that shakes both his and my car? Why cant I get this at home listening to the radio. Or maybe they are listening to a CD perhaps - with broader frequency spectrum? I guess the FM likely doesnt broadcast that low info.

Well, FM is often engineered to sound "loud" but its dynamics are limited by compression. (I'm talking about analog signal compression and clipping here, not digital data compression.) At any rate, the kind of thump you're talking about comes from having your car's system tweaked to sound like that. If nothing else, turning the "bass" knob up. More likely, an outboard amp and maybe a sub. But being able to manually EQ might get you the sound you want--it's not the typical audiophile approach, but you're not going for accurate reproduction here. You're looking to rock out to FM radio! And that's what car stereos (and speakers) are designed for, in part. Fair enough. By default, the Denon is meant to do accurate sound reproduction.

I'm sure someone more familiar with the model will tell you whether/how you can loop in an analog EQ or offer a better idea, sooner or later
post #9104 of 10560 Old 01-14-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:

I haven't seen anyone else provide data feedback to your query yet, so I thought I'd respond. Since this is my first use of a subwoofer, I don't have a benchmark expectation for bass response. I do listen to a lot of (stereo broadcast) HD and Internet radio, and my typical listening mode is in Dolby PLII multi-channel surround mode. My set-up is 5.1/2.0 (quasi-dual zone). Please let me know if anything jumps out at you or if you need more specific information:

- are front L/R speakers set to SMALL or LARGE? SMALL
- what is the CROSSOVER FREQ on the front L/R speakers? 40hZ

- is this set to BASIC or CUSTOM? CUSTOM
- if it is set to CUSTOM, repeat the above questions (SMALL or LARGE? Crossover?) SMALL, 40Hz
post #9105 of 10560 Old 01-14-2012, 06:09 PM

Do you think a Harmony 650 remote would work pretty well with the 3311? I can get one for a good price. I'm using the remote for my old 3802 right now. It either already knew or learned every command, but I'm probably going to be selling my 3802, including the remote, on ebay soon.

MacMall is selling refurb Harmony 650's for under $40 with free shipping.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Logitech-915...item3a6e0c9398
post #9106 of 10560 Old 01-14-2012, 08:24 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post

I haven't seen anyone else provide data feedback to your query yet, so I thought I'd respond. Since this is my first use of a subwoofer, I don't have a benchmark expectation for bass response. I do listen to a lot of (stereo broadcast) HD and Internet radio, and my typical listening mode is in Dolby PLII multi-channel surround mode. My set-up is 5.1/2.0 (quasi-dual zone). Please let me know if anything jumps out at you or if you need more specific information:

- if it is set to CUSTOM, repeat the above questions (SMALL or LARGE? Crossover?) SMALL, 40Hz

In both instances, raise the crossover settings to 80hz.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #9107 of 10560 Old 01-14-2012, 11:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I haven't seen anyone else provide data feedback to your query yet, so I thought I'd respond.

well, to be fair Elfather did respond and note that checking these setting fixed the problem, as he was set to LARGE / LFE in 2ch mode (that's why he wasn't getting bass to his sub).

Quote:

My set-up is 5.1/2.0 (quasi-dual zone).

can you be a bit more specific? does that mean you have a 5.1 setup for multich listening, and then a separate 2ch rig for critical stereo music listening? if so, are the two setups in the same room or different room?

Please let me know if anything jumps out at you or if you need more specific information:

Quote:

as JD noted, a 40Hz crossover is quite low, that means that the front L/R are handling most of the bass. With movies there can be a lot of sub 40Hz content so the sub is probably still working, but I would recommend raising it to 60 (if they are really nice towers with good bass) or 80 Hz (anything else) so the sub is handling that real low stuff.

also, it's worth noting that you might as well leave it on BASIC mode if the settings are the same for 2ch and multich. The only reason to change it to CUSTOM is if you want to configure DIFFERENT settings for 2ch listening (which you may want to do, depending on the answer to the setup question above).

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #9108 of 10560 Old 01-14-2012, 11:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Do you think a Harmony 650 remote would work pretty well with the 3311? I can get one for a good price. I'm using the remote for my old 3802 right now. It either already knew or learned every command, but I'm probably going to be selling my 3802, including the remote, on ebay soon.

MacMall is selling refurb Harmony 650's for under $40 with free shipping.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Logitech-915...item3a6e0c9398

like I said above, all the Harmony's work the same so any of them is equally capable of controlling any Denon receiver.

the only meaningful difference between the 650 and the more expensive 700 is that the 650 takes standard batteries whereas the 700 has a rechargable battery pack (charged with a USB cable). Also the 700 controls up to 6 devices whereas the 650 can only control 5 max. otherwise they are virtually identical, same body, same screen, same button layout....

another option I just found, if you have an iPhone, iPad, Android phone, etc. you can turn your smartphone or tablet into a Harmony using the Harmony Link (although reviews look mediocre): http://www.logitech.com/en-us/remote...s/harmony-link

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #9109 of 10560 Old 01-14-2012, 11:59 PM

I'm going to order it. I hope it's as easy as the denon. With it, you just hold up another remote and copy the function to your denon remote. THe Harmony sounds like it's pretty complicated. Not looking forward to it.
post #9110 of 10560 Old 01-15-2012, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Small in both 2ch/direct and speaker setup.

Crossover was at 80 but recently switched to 100.

I dont know or dont believe 2ch direct/stereo has any effect on multichannel stereo?

There is no option in there to customize any other speakers.

Anyway with those settings i just notice about double the amount of bass is routed to the subwoofer using prologic 2x compared to using multi channel stereo.
post #9111 of 10560 Old 01-15-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:

can you be a bit more specific? does that mean you have a 5.1 setup for multich listening, and then a separate 2ch rig for critical stereo music listening? if so, are the two setups in the same room or different room?

I have an L-shaped living/dining room; my a/v equipment is in a custom wall unit in the living room with 5.1 speaker set-up, and the 2.0 is in the dining room (w/AMP ASSIGN set to "Front B").

Before I purchased the AVR-3311CI, my previous stereo A/B/A+B set-up was a Harman Kardon HK3500 w/(2) Technics SB-5000 floorstanding speakers (living room) and (2) Kenwood KL333D bookshelf speakers(dining room). I've kept those speakers for now as my mains and have added the center, two surrounds and subwoofer from a Polk Audio RM705 5.1 system (w/two surrounds in reserve).

Quote:

as JD noted, a 40Hz crossover is quite low, that means that the front L/R are handling most of the bass. With movies there can be a lot of sub 40Hz content so the sub is probably still working, but I would recommend raising it to 60 (if they are really nice towers with good bass) or 80 Hz (anything else) so the sub is handling that real low stuff.

also, it's worth noting that you might as well leave it on BASIC mode if the settings are the same for 2ch and multich. The only reason to change it to CUSTOM is if you want to configure DIFFERENT settings for 2ch listening (which you may want to do, depending on the answer to the setup question above).

All of my speaker settings were determined by Audyssey, and I have not knowingly made any changes. Given the above, what settings would you recommend?
post #9112 of 10560 Old 01-16-2012, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Also just so im clear if i purchase an android you cannot play music through your phone using the usb input on the denon like you can for an iphone?

If not i will get a radio shack 3.5mm to stereo cable when i get my phone.
post #9113 of 10560 Old 01-16-2012, 06:38 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

All of my speaker settings were determined by Audyssey, and I have not knowingly made any changes. Given the above, what settings would you recommend?

The Denon actually makes those settings, not Audyssey. As already suggested, raise the crossovers to either 60hz or 80hz whichever you prefer.

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
post #9114 of 10560 Old 01-16-2012, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm going to order it. I hope it's as easy as the denon. With it, you just hold up another remote and copy the function to your denon remote. THe Harmony sounds like it's pretty complicated. Not looking forward to it.

Actually, in my experience, the Harmony is not very complicated at all.What you are doing with the Harmony is setting up "activities". For example when I watch a blu-ray I have it set up to turn on my TV, blu-ray player and receiver, and what inputs each is set to.

To program it, log onto the Harmony website, set up your account and tell them what equipment you have in your set-up. From there it asks you when you watch a movie what equipment is on and what mode or input things are set to. You do that for each activity and you are done. I have found it straight forward. I have an older Harmony that controls my 3331 very nicely.

"There's gotta be some way to hook it up, it's the freakin' future" - Eric Cartman
post #9115 of 10560 Old 01-16-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojhawks View Post

Actually, in my experience, the Harmony is not very complicated at all.What you are doing with the Harmony is setting up "activities". For example when I watch a blu-ray I have it set up to turn on my TV, blu-ray player and receiver, and what inputs each is set to.

To program it, log onto the Harmony website, set up your account and tell them what equipment you have in your set-up. From there it asks you when you watch a movie what equipment is on and what mode or input things are set to. You do that for each activity and you are done. I have found it straight forward. I have an older Harmony that controls my 3331 very nicely.

How do you account for the delays of start up in these devices. My TV takes about 10 sec to come on before you can change inputs etc. Do you program in "pauses' etc. for each device
post #9116 of 10560 Old 01-16-2012, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

How do you account for the delays of start up in these devices. My TV takes about 10 sec to come on before you can change inputs etc. Do you program in "pauses' etc. for each device

In the device settings you can set "delays" for each device for power on, input switching, etc.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #9117 of 10560 Old 01-16-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:

In the device settings you can set "delays" for each device for power on, input switching, etc.

So do you have to point the remote at the set up for the entire time then...until they all fire up. Just set there with your hand out and press just one "activity" button.

Is there still the ability to check and pull up the menu, adjust all the items from the Denon remote...or do you revert back to and use the Denon remote to dig into the menus etc.
post #9118 of 10560 Old 01-16-2012, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post

Also just so im clear if i purchase an android you cannot play music through your phone using the usb input on the denon like you can for an iphone?

If not i will get a radio shack 3.5mm to stereo cable when i get my phone.

So has nobody tried to connect there android to the usb port on the denon 3311, does it not work?

I apologize for asking again, but it does not sound like anyone has tried.
post #9119 of 10560 Old 01-16-2012, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

So do you have to point the remote at the set up for the entire time then...until they all fire up. Just set there with your hand out and press just one "activity" button.

Is there still the ability to check and pull up the menu, adjust all the items from the Denon remote...or do you revert back to and use the Denon remote to dig into the menus etc.

It works like so;

You pick an activity like watch tv. The Harmony setup wizard will ask you what devices you would like to run for this. For example you would pick tv for video cable or sat box and it will run the sound from either your tv or your amp what ever one you choose then it will run your sat/cable box. Then after that you can choose another activity and program it such as a dvd player and then it will set up as You choose. After it is all set up, at any time you can choose devices on your remote and pick a devices that you choose and the remote will have a set of commands for it. If you think what you want the activity to do first then when setting up the remote it should only take 30 to 40 minutes. It will also run devices such as a remote controlled air conditioner, fan, almost anything that has a remote the Harmony will run.

Before setting up and to save time so that when your Harmony arrives get all of the exact model and model numbers of the devices that you plan on using for it will ask for these.
post #9120 of 10560 Old 01-16-2012, 09:00 PM

My Blu-Ray DVD player doesn't support gapless audio over DLNA, and my gigabit switch hasn't arrived yet, so my receiver isn't hooked to the internet at the moment for me to be able to test it. The pauses between songs destroy the segues in Roger Waters' albums.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 3311ci Receiver , Denon , Receivers Amplifiers
Gear in this thread - 3311ci by PriceGrabber.com