The **Official** Denon 3311CI/ 991 Owner's Thread NO PRICE TALK - Page 309 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9241 of 10482 Old 03-01-2012, 09:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 920
turn of upgrade notifications to disable the messages (pg 85 of your manual).

that said, the upgrade is FREE now so might as well just download it

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9242 of 10482 Old 03-01-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic9669 View Post

Oh ok so its done within the Blu-Ray's themselves. I used the Audyssey automatic setup within the receiver. IS this good for surround sound when watching TV (a movie from my cable provider per se)? Is there a better way to tune it?

I noted the automatic setting of "video game" had quite cool effects when i was playing video games that i didnt get before i touched it. Unless i have to specify the Audyssey for each setting? I'm not sure if the link above is for me but i'll check it out.

Audyssey will tune your system far better than you can, trust me. Most people will use it for everything, although some prefer to turn it off for music.

Audyssey settings are remembered *by input* so you can have one set of settings for your cable box and another set for your blu-ray player.

Please check out my website that I linked and come back if you have more questions.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #9243 of 10482 Old 03-01-2012, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I like Free. :-)

thanks.
post #9244 of 10482 Old 03-03-2012, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 438
what's better with DTS-HD 5.1 MA, Dolby PLIIx C, or DTS NEO:6?

Will I find La Scala, or better, to displace my La Scala fronts, before I displace my kg1, kg2 & kg3 with Heresy or better?

RED AND BLUE=MAROON!
post #9245 of 10482 Old 03-03-2012, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

what's better with DTS-HD 5.1 MA, Dolby PLIIx C, or DTS NEO:6?

Totally preference. I used to use neo 6 but prefer pl2x now. I believe neo 6 only creates a mono back while pl2x is stereo. Try each one and see which one you like

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #9246 of 10482 Old 03-03-2012, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 438
can't tell them apart, have been using PLIIx C, guess stereo is better, like it better when the DTS-MA is 6.1 or 7.1, but 5.1 seems to be standard on most Blu ray better releases

Will I find La Scala, or better, to displace my La Scala fronts, before I displace my kg1, kg2 & kg3 with Heresy or better?

RED AND BLUE=MAROON!
post #9247 of 10482 Old 03-04-2012, 06:59 PM

Liked: 11
Does it restore them on every input...for example does it restore Cable, DVD, USB, etc... back to the original settings? Bat mentioned that Audyssey settings are input specific in an earlier thread. I would prefer to use my initial audyssey readings for every input.

I just ran through my speaker distances and stuff, and they are the same regardless of input. I think what Bat meant is that whatever "Standard" or "Simulation" mode you like to use is remembered for each input. Right?

A quick question. Right now I have really old JBL speakers. My two front speakers are JBL LXE 990's circa 1995 and my four side and back surrounds are JBL LX 500's circa 1993. My center channel is a JBL Studio Series S-Center II and my subwoofer is a JBL Studio Series S120P II. All of my speakers are in excellent (basically mint) condition. I have refoamed two of the LX-500's, but none of the other speakers have needed it yet. All have been gently used. I'm thinking of replacing my system with six Klipsch RF-28's and a timbre matched Klipsch center channel once I figure out which matched Klipsch center channel to buy. I'll probably also add a second subwoofer to the one I already have. Is there any problem with the proposed Klipsch configuration that you foresee? I want to avoid little surround speakers. I like to listen to music, and I really like bigger speakers all the way around. Also, do you think the performance of the newer Klipsch speakers will destroy my old JBL's or will the difference only be subtle? I can get a really good deal on the RF-28's if I buy six of them, basically less than half of what they sell for at BestBuy.
post #9248 of 10482 Old 03-05-2012, 10:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Does it restore them on every input...for example does it restore Cable, DVD, USB, etc... back to the original settings? Bat mentioned that Audyssey settings are input specific in an earlier thread. I would prefer to use my initial audyssey readings for every input.

you're confusing/conflating some stuff here.

the things which are "restored" when you go to Auto Setup > Parameter Check are only those basic speaker parameters listed in the Parameter Check. This is the fundamental system config -- what speakers are connected, are they large/small, distance, level, crossovers.

these are not "Audyssey settings" like whether you want Dynamic Volume on Day or Evening or Midnight mode, they are the basic config parameters that are the result of the Audyssey calculations during auto setup. The "settings" that are memorized by input are the specific "in use" settings like what EQ curve you use, whether you have Dynamic EQ on/off, etc.

so if you like to turn on Dynamic Volume with the Cable TV input, and you keep it off on the Blu-ray input, the "RESTORE" will not change this. But if you changed a speaker crossover from 40Hz to 80Hz, then the "RESTORE" will set it back to 40Hz.

So the RESTORE doesn't affect the "Audyssey settings" that are set (per input) in the Audio Adjust > Audyssey Settings menu

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #9249 of 10482 Old 03-06-2012, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Out of curiosity is there anyway to get an input to switch to multichannel stereo for 2.0 sources, and plx2 for 5.1, 7.1 sources?
post #9250 of 10482 Old 03-06-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post

Out of curiosity is there anyway to get an input to switch to multichannel stereo for 2.0 sources, and plx2 for 5.1, 7.1 sources?

Yea, that is how denon's work by default. They memorize surround modes by input signal type and have a memory bank for each input.

You can't "preset" this in a menu but you only have to change it once and it will remember what you chose for that input signal. You can check the list in the Information menu.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #9251 of 10482 Old 03-06-2012, 02:53 PM

My 3311 recently returned from a repair to stop the unit from going into thermal protection mode shutdown. They said it had a bad ground that caused the shutdown issue and also the HDMI board was bad. Not sure if the ground issue was on the HDMI board or not. The thermal shutdown issue has been resolved.

I use a W7 media center with a Nvidia 9400 video card. Now whenever I start playing a video in either media center or in a video player (either full screen or partial) the entire display goes blank for a few seconds and then returns and functions normally. I can pause/start the video without resetting the HDMI. But if I close the player or stop the video in media center the HDMI is once again reset. Prior to the HDMI board replacement my Denon did not reset like this. Denon service said this is normal behavior but could not explain why it did not occur with my original HDMI board.

Who knows, perhaps a different video card might not have this issue.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions.
post #9252 of 10482 Old 03-07-2012, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic View Post

My 3311 recently returned from a repair to stop the unit from going into thermal protection mode shutdown. They said it had a bad ground that caused the shutdown issue and also the HDMI board was bad. Not sure if the ground issue was on the HDMI board or not. The thermal shutdown issue has been resolved.

I use a W7 media center with a Nvidia 9400 video card. Now whenever I start playing a video in either media center or in a video player (either full screen or partial) the entire display goes blank for a few seconds and then returns and functions normally. I can pause/start the video without resetting the HDMI. But if I close the player or stop the video in media center the HDMI is once again reset. Prior to the HDMI board replacement my Denon did not reset like this. Denon service said this is normal behavior but could not explain why it did not occur with my original HDMI board.

Who knows, perhaps a different video card might not have this issue.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions.

Maybe you had a background feed like a screen saver or something running before that kept the signal in the loop.

ADD; Check and see if there is a setting that outputs both Hdmi and your computer.
post #9253 of 10482 Old 03-10-2012, 08:18 AM

A few weeks ago I installed Airplay. And much to my surprise, liked it!

Today it is no where to be found!

The receiver says that no updates or upgrades are available. I don't see any menu that confirms that airplay has been installed.

Itunes no longer shows the icon for utilizing airplay.

Iphone(s) no longer show the icon for utilizing airplay.

In the last 24 hours, two events happened that may or may not have bearing...

(1) updated itunes to latest version.

(2) receiver went into short mode shut down (fast blinking red light around power button) due to a speaker wire short (since corrected).

Also, I can play internet radio, so I can confirm that all components are internet connected both within the home LAN and to the outside world. The receiver is still holding my internet radio favorites and other stored items.

Any insight or help would be most appreciated!
post #9254 of 10482 Old 03-10-2012, 08:43 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 1315
^^
Try the suggestions in the link below ...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...?p=20422026#L1

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #9255 of 10482 Old 03-11-2012, 09:28 AM

Is their a way to set the input level for AirPlay? It seems horrendously high. Also, not likely a Denon issue, but if I reduce the volume on my iPhone, and then take a phone call, when the call is over the volume goes back up again and I get blasted.

What do I mean bt "blasted"? I have to dive for the physical volume control and reduce the level to something like -50dB
post #9256 of 10482 Old 03-11-2012, 10:16 AM

Follow up on my attempts to get airplay to run...

Over the past day I have tried in various orders:

- power cycling the all the network equipment (router, hub, access point)
- restarting itunes
- unplugging the 3311 for 10 mins
- resetting the network card (hold up & down buttons on receiver front while powering on; this step necessitated resetting ALL my customization)
- turning off DHCP on the 3311 and setting a static ip address.

During these various steps, the airplay icon has at times reappeared! But then later it goes away. I haven't had any luck finding any determinism in what actions result in it either appearing or disappearing.

Right now, the airplay icon is nowhere to be found on itunes (2 computers) or iphones.

Any new ideas? Thanks for helping me out.
post #9257 of 10482 Old 03-13-2012, 04:13 PM

Is it just me or DENON is putting crappy product out there. Spent $1200 bucks on a piece of junk that"s not even 2 years and it has to be sent out for service twice. I surely won't even consider buying any DENON brands or even recommend any of their products to anyone.First,the LF channel went out(no audio at all) and then exactly 6 months later NO Video to the display.This Unit(3311CI)spends more time getting REPAIRED than being utilize.So upsetting.
post #9258 of 10482 Old 03-13-2012, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG HIRAP View Post

Is it just me or DENON is putting crappy product out there. Spent $1200 bucks on a piece of junk that"s not even 2 years and it has to be sent out for service twice. I surely won't even consider buying any DENON brands or even recommend any of their products to anyone.First,the LF channel went out(no audio at all) and then exactly 6 months later NO Video to the display.This Unit(3311CI)spends more time getting REPAIRED than being utilize.So upsetting.

I genuinely love this model, but have not had great luck with denon of late. Two 3311s go bad with hdmi boards, a 3310 that had complete failure, and the 2311 i put in my mother in law‘s setp had its zone 2 preots fail. Meanwhile, my oldest 3311 that has been in a cabinet with limited vent has lAsted without any issue. Who knows...all the networking ones are buggy
post #9259 of 10482 Old 03-13-2012, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
One thought/suggestion is to plug in your home theater equipment into a power conditioner or UPS in case that is causing problems. Never had an issue with my Denons. Dirty power can cause havoc.
post #9260 of 10482 Old 03-13-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCab View Post

Follow up on my attempts to get airplay to run...

Any new ideas? Thanks for helping me out.

One more idea I just learned: on the computer you stream from, turn off Internet then back on (I have a Mac using Airport wireless...I turn Airport off then back on again...and voila, its back).

Getting the new Apple TV in a few days...I give up messing with it.
post #9261 of 10482 Old 03-14-2012, 06:49 AM

Every piece of equipment I own is plug into M-5300 PM. And Winston9332,I do too love this unit when it resides on my rack but its USELESS to me if it spends more time at the service center. Thanks and good luck with it though.
post #9262 of 10482 Old 03-17-2012, 09:10 AM

Liked: 13
Hey gang,
Can someone explain to me why after installing my new apple tv I no longer see the Denon AirPlay on my AirPlay list? At the beginning it was showing both the apple tv and Denon, but not anymore. I though maybe the apple tv override the Denon so I disconnect it the apple tv and now I now longer see the Denon on the AirPlay list at all as if I never had it.

I know I can still play the music through the apple tv but I think I'd like to have the convenience of going directly through the Denon instead of having to select a source in the receiver to play music.
post #9263 of 10482 Old 03-17-2012, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

probably has nothing at all to do with the ATV, just a coincidence. Check out the troubleshooting tips at the beginning of the xx12 thread, probably some combination of unplugging the receiver for a few minutes, resetting the router, etc. will bring it back.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #9264 of 10482 Old 03-17-2012, 10:50 AM

Agreed. I see both Denon and my new Apple TV available for AirPlay. Apple TV is really cool btw. Really glad I bought as another option.
post #9265 of 10482 Old 03-17-2012, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I've had to unplug the Denon several times to get AirPlay to re-appear, also. 10 minutes works; I tried 1 minute once & it didn't work. I also lose my custom settings after unplugging, so you should make sure you have a config.dat backup ready to go first.
post #9266 of 10482 Old 03-21-2012, 08:54 AM

Hi Denon 3311CI experts! I recently bought this receiver last Sunday - second hand unit from a friend who had it used for just 3 weeks. This is a huge upgrade from my 1509. Is the calibration on this unit easier to do than that of the 1509? Any tips you maybe able to share before, during and after calibration?
post #9267 of 10482 Old 03-21-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

calibration is the same, the only difference is that MultEQ XT has 8 positions max instead of the 6 on your 1509. Just follow the tips on my website and enjoy!

if you haven't yet, pay special attention to the Audyssey section of my FAQ: http://batpigworld.com/fadq.html#audyssey

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #9268 of 10482 Old 03-21-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

calibration is the same, the only difference is that MultEQ XT has 8 positions max instead of the 6 on your 1509. Just follow the tips on my website and enjoy!

if you haven't yet, pay special attention to the Audyssey section of my FAQ:

Thanks buddy! I will check your website out.
post #9269 of 10482 Old 03-21-2012, 06:34 PM

Reporting back on my issues getting airplay to stick... I tried everything suggested and I *think* the thing that finally made it work for good was assigning a static ip address outside of the normal range of dynamically assigned ip's. What was odd was that it was still inconsistent for about a day after assigning the static ip. But since then it has been solid.

Not exactly sure, but I have a hunch that the iphones which come in and out of the house, getting assigned a new ip address every time, was confusing things.

But, knock on wood, things appear stable now. Thanks all for your insights, directions and help!
post #9270 of 10482 Old 03-21-2012, 06:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

uh, yea... that's kinda the idea... static ip's should always be outside of the range of eligible dhcp addresses...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 3311ci Receiver , Denon , Receivers Amplifiers
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page