The **Official** Denon 3311CI/ 991 Owner's Thread NO PRICE TALK - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 10514 Old 07-17-2010, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntitor View Post

Thanks for the link extreme22.

I didn't realize you had to go into the PS3 sound menu and check all of the sound formats for HDMI output, figured that would have been set like that by default.

i thought so to, but ps3 is weird in some sort of way, if only they could use
NTFS like LG does for there BD players thats why i do not want to get rid of my bdplayer i have,

From jdsmoothie "Before returning your Denon as being defective ... "Reset the Microprocessor" (see Owner's Manual for instructions)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 10514 Old 07-17-2010, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Just FYI, the ONLY thing you gain from setting your PS3 to bitstream out is the DTS-MA or Dolby TrueHD indicator on your receiver. The quality is identical.

Having said that, I did set mine to bitstream as well because I like seeing the indicator as this gives me visual proof that I'm getting the proper soundtrack and not the substream that you get when you use the optical cable.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #903 of 10514 Old 07-17-2010, 07:33 PM

I am wondering if this amp needs fans installed on them or in them,
what do some of you think

From jdsmoothie "Before returning your Denon as being defective ... "Reset the Microprocessor" (see Owner's Manual for instructions)
post #904 of 10514 Old 07-17-2010, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 170
We been having some high temperatures here along the east cost, and I've been thinking of taking out my old Onkyo bought fans to manage the heat a bit.. The only thing is not having an AC plug behind the unit...I'm aware their are ways of going about that, but I have a zillion and one wart plugs, which I'm tyring to minimize..Too bad you can't use another connector on the 3311ci rear.

DJoel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #905 of 10514 Old 07-17-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

We been having some high temperatures here along the east cost, and I've been thinking of taking out my old Onkyo bought fans to manage the heat a bit.. The only thing is not having an AC plug behind the unit...I'm aware their are ways of going about that, but I have a zillion and one wart plugs, which I'm tyring to minimize..Too bad you can't use another connector on the 3311ci rear.

DJoel

i am suprised that denon did not bother to use some high end fans if this unit is running hot
im a IT tech so i might be able to find away to frun it from the AVR

well i think i have found the solution with in the unit there is a plug for 3 mini fan pins so your reg computer fan wont fit in the socket
thanks to Tim for the picture.

now off to the ABT2015

http://www.hdfever.fr/2010/06/14/anc...bt2010abt2015/

Anchor Bay ABT2015 VRS : new generation of high-end video processor

In my tests like the Denon amps or Blu - ray Oppo universal , I have often highlighted the quality Anchor Bay video processor , either version ABT1030 , pre -configured , or the version of earlier ABT2010 range is fully configurable. Configurable, meaning that you can apply video processing , even on the HD, to enhance details, terrain, contours of the image, and correcting any deviations color . Consequently, you have a grip on the quality of treatment that is really interesting.

These processors are also very powerful in terms of deinterlacing and upscaling SD 1080 videos and DVDs. In short , all that to say that a version ABT2015 is integrated on some new high-end products , often 3D Ready whatsoever amplifiers or Blu - ray . This is a variation of the ABT2010 is able to offer two processing streams 1080p video simultaneously, ie on the Blu -ray 3D.

Features:
10-Bit SD / HD Precision Deinterlacing ™
10 -Bit Precision Video Scaling ™ for scaling ( upscaling ) 1080p and downscaling to 480i
Pré-traitement et post-traitement 12-Bit
Noise reduction and image enhancement on source SD / HD
Prep ™ - Progressive Reprocessing ™ to enhance progressive signals ( for deinterlace réentrelacer )
CEA-861D Timing Compliant
On Screen Display
HDMI 1.3 Deep Colour et colorimétrie xvYCC
correction Keystone
Prep ™

industry first technology to restore progressive video signals to their original interlaced format
Supports formats 480p , 576p , 1080p50 and 1080p60
Precision Deinterlacing uses to avoid artifacts caused by poor deinterlacing
Precision Deinterlacing ™

Deinterlacer signed Anchor Bay sets the 480i, 576i , 1080i50 and 1080i60
Arbitrary cadence detection ( any- to - any) to detect 2:2, 3:3 and other cadences
Five-field motion et edge-adaptive deinterlacing
Three - frame video processing with ( low latency )
Change detection to minimize artifacts caused by sequence breaks in film
Detection of multiple source types within a video - for example, the subtitles on a film
Détection 2:2 to/from 3:2 crossfades et out of phase 3:2 crossfades
Modes de détection – automatic, video, film-bias, forced 3:2 et 2:2
Detection Rate of 480p, 576p , 720p and 1080p sources for the conversion 1080/24p
Video Scaling Precision ™

Upscaling Anchor Bay verticale et horizontale
Accepts SD signals , HD, including 1080p PC
Upscaling 1080p et Downscaling 480i
Auto - CUEC ™ - Automatic Chroma upsampling error correction and drift with DVD players and set -top boxes
Panoramic Mode to support 4:3 content on a 16:9 screen
Converting framerate
Full control of the ratio picture
Supports multiple input ratio
Supports multiple display ratios
zooming on image cropping
Correction Keystone
MPEG Noise Reduction

Mosquito Noise : Video noise reduction for SD / HD especially for content based on the MPEG2 encoder
Video noise reduction in general for SD / HD
Improved image

Improvements in detail ( or allowances) : to provide greater sharpness and precision in the HD image
Edge enhancement (or reduction) to provide more relief to the 2D/3D image
Photo Controls

Luminosité, contraste, saturation, teinte, sub-pixel YC delays
Control Output black level
Extension and compression of the dynamic range
3 × 3 matrix input to implement controls color , tint as
Control and calibration colorimetry 3 × 3 14- bit and interpolated pre / post- linear control of Gamma
Supports input

24/30-bit 4:4:4 RVB / YCbCr
16/20-bit YCbCr 4:2:2 - separate Y , C
8/10-bit YCbCr 4:2:2 – multiplexés Y, C
Video formats : 480i, 576i , 480p , 576p , 720p , 1080i , 1080p (including 1080/24p )
PC formats : VGA to SXGA
Support the colorspace BT.656
Internal Clock : 165MHz
Assumption sortieortie

24/30-bit 4:4:4 RVB / YCbCr
16/20-bit YCbCr 4:2:2 - separate Y , C
8/10-bit YCbCr 4:2:2 – multiplexés Y, C
Video formats : 480i, 576i , 480p, 576p , 720p , 1080i , 1080p (including 1080/24p )
PC formats : VGA to SXGA
Support the colorspace BT.656
Internal Clock : 165MHz
On-Screen Display ( OSD)

OSD appears on the screen for settings on the current video in real time
256 - character set of 12 x 24 or 128 - character set of 24 x 24
128 x 32 character map that can be freely positioned anywhere on the screen
Controls and Clocks

I2C- compliant serial interface
ABT ™ Serial Interface - Four fast son, a maximum of 10.0 MHz
Integrated PLL
30MHz crystal oscillator with an option to input
Memory

DDR2 SDRAM
256 Mbit ( 16M x 16) or more
Flexible Memory Interface
0 Périphériques – mode motion adaptatif (applications low-cost)
1 Device - SD deinterlacing with FRC , FRC without deinterlacing 1080i
2 devices - SD and 1080i deinterlacing FRC
pattern generator

Builder pattern in a flexible control software capable of providing test patterns for calibrating reference monitors
Pass Through Mode

All formats including 1080p
Support image adjustments
Audio Delay

I2S 10-canal de support audio (HDMI 1.3)
Supports up to 640 ms of audio delay
multiple formats, including multi-channel audio ( compressed , PCM)
Voltage

Core 1.0V, 3.3V I Memory / O , 1.8V
Power

2.5W (estimated )

post #906 of 10514 Old 07-17-2010, 08:17 PM

Hi All,

This maybe an old question but I couldn't find a solution after google.

My friend brought his PS3 today. Not slim version. It has one HDMI and one optical interface. I connected PS3 to HDMI 1 (BD). Assign the OPTICAL 1 to the BD's digital input. I can see the picture but no sound. When I disconnect the HDMI cable. The sound is back. But picture and sound can't coexist.

I can't figure it out why. Then I connect the PS3 directly to the projector through HDMI. It worked. But it's not what I want. Is there anything missing I need configure in receiver?

Thanks a lot for your input!

Lou
post #907 of 10514 Old 07-17-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmatrix View Post

Hi All,

This maybe an old question but I couldn't find a solution after google.

My friend brought his PS3 today. Not slim version. It has one HDMI and one optical interface. I connected PS3 to HDMI 1 (BD). Assign the OPTICAL 1 to the BD's digital input. I can see the picture but no sound. When I disconnect the HDMI cable. The sound is back. But picture and sound can't coexist.

I can't figure it out why. Then I connect the PS3 directly to the projector through HDMI. It worked. But it's not what I want. Is there anything missing I need configure in receiver?

Thanks a lot for your input!

Lou

what are you trying to do?
Because u can not run both hdmi and optical at the same time, its ether one or the other,
for sound from the ps3

post #908 of 10514 Old 07-17-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme22 View Post

what are you trying to do because u can not run both hdmi and optical at the same time, its ether one or the other,
for sound from the ps3

Thanks extreme22 for so quick response. So you mean my only option is to connect PS3 directly to projector? em. Is there anyway I don't need run cable from PS3 to projector while having the video from receiver. I just want only one cable to the projector.

Thanks a lot!

Lou
post #909 of 10514 Old 07-17-2010, 08:37 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked: 1524
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmatrix View Post

From your description, it sounds like the video/audio is coming through the HDMI cable just fine and although the HDMI port on the 3311 is detecting it, it's not passing it through (ensure HDMI Audio Out is set to AMP and not TV). As it takes priority over the optical audio, there is no sound passed from the optical cable. When you unplug the HDMI cable, the optical 2.0 audio is now free to play. Reset the PS3 by powering it on, holding the power on button longer than usual (ie 7-8 seconds) while the 3311 is powered ON.

Unless you are trying to use the optical for CD (Stereo) playing only (and if yes, then you really want to set it up using another source name), there's no need for it as the audio will pass over the HDMI cable.

Try using another HDMI port (other than BD) and see if you have the same issue of no audio. If none of the ports work, then reset the microprocessor and start over.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #910 of 10514 Old 07-17-2010, 08:44 PM

This receiver does run hot, at $1200 I expected better cooling management. My $500 Onkyo may have run cooler.
post #911 of 10514 Old 07-17-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:

This receiver does run hot, at $1200 I expected better cooling management. My $500 Onkyo may have run cooler.

i would be suprised if your Onkyo ran cooler, unless you ran a Heat Measurement Instruments, to know what the exact temp is

post #912 of 10514 Old 07-17-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

From your description, it sounds like the video/audio is coming through the HDMI cable just fine and although the HDMI port on the 3311 is detecting it, it's not passing it through (ensure HDMI Audio Out is set to AMP and not TV). As it takes priority over the optical audio, there is no sound passed from the optical cable. When you unplug the HDMI cable, the optical 2.0 audio is now free to play. Reset the PS3 by powering it on, holding the power on button longer than usual (ie 7-8 seconds) while the 3311 is powered ON.

Unless you are trying to use the optical for CD (Stereo) playing only (and if yes, then you really want to set it up using another source name), there's no need for it as the audio will pass over the HDMI cable.

Try using another HDMI port (other than BD) and see if you have the same issue of no audio. If none of the ports work, then reset the microprocessor and start over.

Thanks a lot. I reset the microprocessor and reassign the HDMI 1 to BD and set the others as NONE. Only connect HDMI from PS3 to receiver. Set PS3 output audio through HDMI. Right now video and sound work together. Nice!!!

Thanks!!

Lou
post #913 of 10514 Old 07-17-2010, 10:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I agree. I thought the Denon was going to be cooler but to my surprise, the 3311 i have now does run hotter than the returned Onkyo 608. Not very good in this aspect.
post #914 of 10514 Old 07-17-2010, 11:02 PM

i find that the unit does run a tad bit hot, denon has ran tests on these units
and if they thought that this would be an issue they would of added a fan to there unit,
lie Onkyo does, now thats a unit that runs very hot, i bet if u remove that fan u would be even hotter than the Denon
plus i have seen more Onkyo over heats than Denon

post #915 of 10514 Old 07-17-2010, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This receiver does run hot, at $1200 I expected better cooling management.

Anyone have an opinion on how cooling compares with last year's 4310 or 3310? My big complaint with those older models would be the flaky networking.

I'm P.O.ed about the loss of switched outlets, or I'd probably own the 3311 by now. But I also don't want the equivalent of a heat lamp in my cabinet.

Sigh. You'd think that spending "four figures" on a receiver would get you a trouble free product.
post #916 of 10514 Old 07-17-2010, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post

Anyone have an opinion on how cooling compares with last year's 4310 or 3310? My big complaint with those older models would be the flaky networking.

I'm P.O.ed about the loss of switched outlets, or I'd probably own the 3311 by now. But I also don't want the equivalent of a heat lamp in my cabinet.

Sigh. You'd think that spending "four figures" on a receiver would get you a trouble free product.

you will never have trouble free no matter what you pay,something always ends up happening, this is electronics we are talking about here,

as well what would be the benifits of switched outlets

post #917 of 10514 Old 07-17-2010, 11:27 PM

looks like i've chosen the receiver to power my B&W CM5's. are we allowed to discuss where the best bargain is? if so, where have you guys found the best price (shipping included)?

looking at the AVR-3311CI by the way.

thanks
post #918 of 10514 Old 07-17-2010, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nino956 View Post

looks like i've chosen the receiver to power my B&W CM5's. are we allowed to discuss where the best bargain is? if so, where have you guys found the best price (shipping included)?

looking at the AVR-3311CI by the way.

thanks

call up electronics expo and ask them for a discount

post #919 of 10514 Old 07-17-2010, 11:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

are we allowed to discuss where the best bargain is? if so, where have you guys found the best price (shipping included)?

Start reading this thread from about right here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post18828548

Or... what extreme22 said.

-
post #920 of 10514 Old 07-18-2010, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [KYA]Mega View Post

Start reading this thread from about right here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post18828548

Or... what extreme22 said.

sold out at the moment
post #921 of 10514 Old 07-18-2010, 12:14 AM

Quote:

sold out at the moment

did u ask them on a eta

post #922 of 10514 Old 07-18-2010, 12:20 AM

Quote:

did u ask them on a eta

i didn't call, it's 2:20AM where i'm at (texas).. don't think they would answer?

anyway, im not in a hurry, i'll wait if i have to.

thanks for the tip.
post #923 of 10514 Old 07-18-2010, 06:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

You should not have to spend four figures for this unit. One of the reasons it is a popular choice at the moment. In fact it is only a bit higher than what the 3310's are being closed out for.

I am not using the amps in this and I also have it in a rack outside my HT so heat has not been an issue for me. The Onkyo 807 and 3007 that I auditioned while looking for a replacement ran much hotter than this and that is without utilizing the internal amps.

JD

post #924 of 10514 Old 07-18-2010, 07:47 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

i find that the unit does run a tad bit hot, denon has ran tests on these units
and if they thought that this would be an issue they would of added a fan to there unit,
lie Onkyo does, now thats a unit that runs very hot, i bet if u remove that fan u would be even hotter than the Denon
plus i have seen more Onkyo over heats than Denon

Warm? - yes. Hot? - not in my opinion. Mine is in a closed back cabinet with about 12" of open space above it and no front door. The top is warm to to the touch, but nowhere near uncomfortable. I have a 5.1 single zone system, so the results might be different with all 7 channels going, but I doubt it. I think it is a little warmer than the 790 it replaced, but nothing too concerning.

post #925 of 10514 Old 07-18-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khollister View Post

Warm? - yes. Hot? - not in my opinion. Mine is in a closed back cabinet with about 12" of open space above it and no front door. The top is warm to to the touch, but nowhere near uncomfortable. I have a 5.1 single zone system, so the results might be different with all 7 channels going, but I doubt it. I think it is a little warmer than the 790 it replaced, but nothing too concerning.

that's still good so we know that in a semi closed inviroment this unit is comfortable

post #926 of 10514 Old 07-18-2010, 05:04 PM

Is the 3311's front USB input for the iPod a direct digital input bypassing the iPods DACs (in other words is it using the 3311's DACs to produce the music)? I have a friend that raves about his Wadia iPod dock being the only way to play ipods through stereo w/o relying on the less than steller DACs inside the ipod. Is he right?
post #927 of 10514 Old 07-18-2010, 05:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked: 1329
yes, it's a digital connection -- it's USB! what else could it be? it's directly accessing the digital data.

analog = the headphone jack, or an ipod dock with red/white RCA outputs.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

post #928 of 10514 Old 07-18-2010, 05:58 PM

Just got my Ethernet cable plugged in and running. Wow...this is great. You dont need the iPod or iPhone if you use the net hookup. I can play any music on my computer by picking the file on the TV screen. Scroll through all the files, find iTunes Music folder or any other music folder you have.

Click.... Listen. Excellent...and you have no control issues.

Or go to Pandora - listen after setting up account via web site on your computer.

I also use the Samsung BD-C6900 Blue Ray player and it is 3D & WiFi capable. Hooks into wifi great...has all kinds of places to go online. Great interface.

Now just need time to listen.
post #929 of 10514 Old 07-18-2010, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

as well what would be the benifits of switched outlets

I have an enclosed cabinet (one of the Standout Designs models). Right now a switched output of my current receiver is used to unconditionally turn off the fans. I would like to continue doing that, rather than letting the fans run when the receiver is off.

That's the only thing I can think of. The outlets aren't useful for any high current applications. E.g. I'd like to use them to switch off my subwoofer (because it's auto powerdown isn't reliable), but the subwoofer can draw too much current for that to be OK.

Maybe it'll all work out. Maybe I'll wind up saving power by buying one of those outlet strips controlled by the trigger output (since with one of those I should be able to power down the subwoofer). I think someone posted a link to a few of those products recently, but sadly it doesn't appear that I properly bookmarked.
post #930 of 10514 Old 07-18-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:

I have an enclosed cabinet (one of the Standout Designs models). Right now a switched output of my current receiver is used to unconditionally turn off the fans. I would like to continue doing that, rather than letting the fans run when the receiver is off.

That's the only thing I can think of. The outlets aren't useful for any high current applications. E.g. I'd like to use them to switch off my subwoofer (because it's auto powerdown isn't reliable), but the subwoofer can draw too much current for that to be OK.

Maybe it'll all work out. Maybe I'll wind up saving power by buying one of those outlet strips controlled by the trigger output (since with one of those I should be able to power down the subwoofer). I think someone posted a link to a few of those products recently, but sadly it doesn't appear that I properly bookmarked.

Here is a selection of them

http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=12794370...0saving&page=1

Panny PZ800U - Denon 3311CI - JBL CS6100BG 5.1 - Sony DVPCX995V 400-Disc DVD Player - Sony BDP-S5100-3D - HTC One (Used to Play Music via my 3311CI)

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 3311ci Receiver , Denon , Receivers Amplifiers
Gear in this thread - 3311ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page