The **Official** Denon 3311CI/ 991 Owner's Thread NO PRICE TALK - Page 311 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9301 of 10496 Old 04-02-2012, 04:19 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 1429
^^
If you haven't done it yet, the final step prior to going the repair route, would be resetting the microprocessor (p. 116) which although will reset the unit to it's factory level default settings as well as wipe out Audyssey, will also often resolve many issues.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9302 of 10496 Old 04-02-2012, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi again community!

I'm looking to use the Airplay function on my AMP (with Itunes on my PC) but I can not plug the ethernet wire in the port of the receiver because my computer is downstairs and I have not figured out a way of passing the wire by the ceiling. I was looking to buy an ethernet wireless bridge to plug instead.

Any feedback on reliability with the 3311? I was looking to buy this one and I was looking to know if there are any specs I should be worried about before buying it?

Thanks,
Fred
post #9303 of 10496 Old 04-02-2012, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor_86 View Post

Hi again community!

I'm looking to use the Airplay function on my AMP (with Itunes on my PC) but I can not plug the ethernet wire in the port of the receiver because my computer is downstairs and I have not figured out a way of passing the wire by the ceiling. I was looking to buy an ethernet wireless bridge to plug instead.

Any feedback on reliability with the 3311? I was looking to buy this one and I was looking to know if there are any specs I should be worried about before buying it?

Thanks,
Fred

Go to the avs 12 series Denon forum and check out pg.1, Link 3 part 8 and you will find some info and suggestions.
post #9304 of 10496 Old 04-02-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spager View Post

Go to the avs 12 series Denon forum and check out pg.1, Link 3 part 8 and you will find some info and suggestions.

Thanks. I now have 3 models. Do I have to understand though that the Airport Express works better as a bridge, with Itunes or all the others will do the same too?
post #9305 of 10496 Old 04-03-2012, 01:25 AM
585-645-1006

^^
All suggested models will work as an effective "bridge", not that the Airport Express is any better, rather only that using an Airport Express will bypass the on board Airplay's limitation of hijacking the main zone when playing to Zones 2/3.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
post #9306 of 10496 Old 04-03-2012, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
All suggested models will work as an effective "bridge", not that the Airport Express is any better, rather only that using an Airport Express will bypass the on board Airplay's limitation of hijacking the main zone when playing to Zones 2/3.

Thanks, just wanted to make sure
post #9307 of 10496 Old 04-03-2012, 10:23 AM

Liked: 11
It makes my picture jerky for fast action sports, but it looks better on movies. I tend to leave conversion on, so I can have the on-screen GUI, but even that seems to affect fast action stuff.
post #9308 of 10496 Old 04-03-2012, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevolumnus View Post

It makes my picture jerky for fast action sports, but it looks better on movies. I tend to leave conversion on, so I can have the on-screen GUI, but even that seems to affect fast action stuff.

If your using your computer the incoming source may cause this. If it is your Sat/Cable box try resetting or try forcing 1080i resolution. or swapping out a cable to your box and tv. When I watch sports off the computer it is jerky as well. I tried turning off the scaler and the video convert but it did not help much. Sat box works fine though. You could also try a component cable to see of that works better for you. Also for testing purposes you could try running a cable straight to the Tv.
post #9309 of 10496 Old 04-04-2012, 10:38 AM

I have tried everything. I will continue to fiddle with it and report back. I'm stuck with DTV for two more years, just got it.
post #9310 of 10496 Old 04-04-2012, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevolumnus View Post

I have tried everything. I will continue to fiddle with it and report back. I'm stuck with DTV for two more years, just got it.

Try hooking your DTV box to the tv with hdmi first and then component and see if you can lay fault on the box or if it is the avr, While you are testing try some different cables and ports.

Ounce all testing is done and you narrowed it downed to either the cable box or the avr and you can go from there. If it is the DTV box and it is a rental or still under warranty get them to replace it.
post #9311 of 10496 Old 04-04-2012, 03:26 PM

the SHUDDER only happens on a few channels, most notably CBS, and only with fast action sports, namely the NCAA tournament, which was unwatchable. Turning the resoloution down on the DirecTV box to 720 totally fixed the problem. However, the picture was considerably duller, barely HD, so I put the box back on 1080i and connected the box directly to the TV, by-passing the AVR. There was still a hint of jerkiness but not nearly as much as going through the AVR. I reconnected through the AVR, this time just passing through the AVR without upscaling. It was almost exactly like connecting directly to the TV. The jerkiness was still detectable but greatly reduced.

I am willing to part with the TV if it's incompatible with the AVR or the DirectTV box. It's a Sharp 60" LCD. I got it on Black Friday for $799. The exact same model sells at BestBuy now for $1099, so I could probably get close to what I paid out of it, and then I could turn around and buy a Panasonic plasma. I have an old 50" 1080i Vizio in my bedroom, and it's as smooth as silk on the same channels.
post #9312 of 10496 Old 04-04-2012, 03:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 1097
thevolumnus -- have you tried monkeying with the video settings for that input, specifically VIDEO MODE and PROGRESSIVE MODE? If you have a recorded segment on your DVR that shows the "judder" clearly, you could try adjusting these settings and seeing if they help.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #9313 of 10496 Old 04-04-2012, 04:01 PM

I have tried turning off film mode and turning off motion enhancement on the TV. It's a pretty basic model without a lot of stuff to monkey with. Neither film mode nor motion enhancement seems to have any bearing.

On the DirectTV box, there are only two settings that would seem to matter. First, you can turn Native on or off. Second you can select which resolutions your TV is capable of. My TV is theoretically capable of all the resolutions, so I leave them all checked. Turning Native on or off doesn't seem to do much.
post #9314 of 10496 Old 04-04-2012, 04:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 1097
Quote:

I have tried turning off film mode and turning off motion enhancement on the TV. It's a pretty basic model without a lot of stuff to monkey with. Neither film mode nor motion enhancement seems to have any bearing.

I'm talking about these settings on the DENON receiver, not the TV.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #9315 of 10496 Old 04-04-2012, 06:58 PM

I had everything set to Auto. Your post gives me a few more things to fiddle with. I can't really test it. There is a basketball game on ESPN, but ESPN has never been affected by the jerkiness. ESPN broadcasts in 720P. Criminal Minds is on CBS, but the jerkiness only appears during fast action sports.

I have turned on "Native" on the Directv box. I have enabled every resolution on the box. In theory, the box should now pass everything through to the AVR without upconverting it. I am going to let the AVR do all the upconverting and see if it cures the problem. The only hindrance is that with native turned on, it takes forever to turn the channel.

Update: I reset the microprocessor. This of course caused me to have to run Audyssey again. Everything changed slightly, but there was one major difference. The front speakers used to be large, but now they are small. To my ear, everything sounds about the same. I set the crossover manually to 80mhz for everything. Does the large to small thing sound like something to be concerned about?
post #9316 of 10496 Old 04-05-2012, 03:29 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Note that you can SAVE the config file (including Audyssey settings) to a PC using the Web Control feature (p. 59) and then LOAD it after doing a micro reset. Also, the recommendation by Audyssey is to reset all speakers to SMALL anyway regardless of what they are set to after running AUTO SETUP, so no, the fact that you had to change them to SMALL is not an issue.

post #9317 of 10496 Old 04-05-2012, 09:20 AM

I backed up my current configuration. It will save me a lot of time in the future. I didn't have my tripod last night. Someone borrowed it. I used a tall candle holder. I may redo it later and save it again. I appreciate the insight. I'm sure I read about being able to back up your configuration, but that's a great feature.
post #9318 of 10496 Old 04-05-2012, 07:48 PM

My fault wrong thread
post #9319 of 10496 Old 04-05-2012, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumptitan View Post

So I have skimmed this thread a bit and think I have a faulty NIC. Will a bad card also affect switching input devices. I have to turn the unit on and off to get it to change from one device to another. If so do I have to ship to Denon for repair or can a local facilty take care of it?

No NIC is your Denon on board network card. A bad Hdmi board would. Have you tried replacing your remote batteries or microprocessor reset.
post #9320 of 10496 Old 04-06-2012, 06:52 PM

I would appreciate any help resolving this.
Maybe there is some button I pushed to cause this problem and it can easily be solved -- here's hoping anyway.
My AVR has been in use for appx 3 months.
It has worked fine until recently.
I have several video sources (BDP, DVD Player, TiVo) connected to the AVR via HDMI cables, then one HDMI cable out to my tv.
The GUI displayed on the tv w/o problems and when I used one of the video sources, that displayed w/o problem.
Now there is no display on the tv--though the front panel display works fine and the web interface works fine. I cannot get either the GUI or any source to display on the tv. When I connect the HDMI cable from the TiVo directly to tv, the video displays w/o problem.
I have read most of this thread and looked at the troubleshooting in the AVR-XX12 thread. I tried the HDMI HDCP reset and followed the instructions precisely. I tried the microprocessor reset. No video out after reset, no video out after reloading my settings.
Short of contacting Denon, any suggestions?
Thanks for all your help,
e_identity
post #9321 of 10496 Old 04-06-2012, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_identity View Post

I would appreciate any help resolving this.
Maybe there is some button I pushed to cause this problem and it can easily be solved -- here's hoping anyway.
My AVR has been in use for appx 3 months.
It has worked fine until recently.
I have several video sources (BDP, DVD Player, TiVo) connected to the AVR via HDMI cables, then one HDMI cable out to my tv.
The GUI displayed on the tv w/o problems and when I used one of the video sources, that displayed w/o problem.
Now there is no display on the tv--though the front panel display works fine and the web interface works fine. I cannot get either the GUI or any source to display on the tv. When I connect the HDMI cable from the TiVo directly to tv, the video displays w/o problem.
I have read most of this thread and looked at the troubleshooting in the AVR-XX12 thread. I tried the HDMI HDCP reset and followed the instructions precisely. I tried the microprocessor reset. No video out after reset, no video out after reloading my settings.
Short of contacting Denon, any suggestions?
Thanks for all your help,
e_identity

Check to make sure you have the right input selected on your tv. I take it that you have the right inputs on the avr selected. The only thing I can think of is too try hooking up a different tv or laptop with Hdmi from your avr out to test and change the hdmi cable from the avr to tv as it may be defective.

Last thought is to unplug overnight and try a couple of more microprocessor resets before calling Denon.

Add; This is stating the obvious but make sure you are using monitor 1 output on your avr.
post #9322 of 10496 Old 04-07-2012, 11:05 AM

spager,
Thanks for thinking about this and for your excellent suggestions.
I have the correct input selected on the tv.
With regard to the GUI, I don't think I need a particular input selected, but when trying to view a bluray disc, I have the correct input selected on the avr.
I tested the HDMI cable by connecting it to the TiVo. The cable works w/ the TiVo, but not the AVR.
I have also left the avr unplugged overnight and have done at least 5 microprocessor resets.
Monitor 1 output is also a good suggestion, I verified Monitor 1 is selected and that the cable is connected to the Monitor 1 out on the back of the AVR.
Guess I'll call Denon next.
Thanks again for your excellent suggestions,
e_identity
post #9323 of 10496 Old 04-07-2012, 11:13 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Try using Monitor Out 2 as well as doing a "network reset" (ie. press/hold the UP/DOWN arrow buttons on the front panel while powering on the AVR).

post #9324 of 10496 Old 04-07-2012, 06:30 PM

jdsmoothie,
Thanks for the suggestions! I appreciate your thinking about this.
I did a network reset w/o any change in the problem.
Monitor 2 out also does not work. I tried connecting the HDMI cable to Monitor 1 out, and switched the AVR between Monitor 1 and Monitor 2 w/o effect. I tried connecting the HDMI cable to Monitor 2 out and switched the AVR between Mon 1 and Mon 2. No video on the TV w/ either setting, but I did notice that connecting the HDMI cable to Mon 2 out w/ Monitor 2 selected on the AVR caused the audio from the tuner to cut in and out every few seconds. Not sure what that is about. the audio did not cut in/out when I connected the HDMI cable to Mon 2 out w/ Monitor 1 selected on the AVR
Anyway, thank you for your suggestions!
e_identity
Edit 04-17-2012 I mailed the AVR to Panurgy in NJ as per the instructions on Denon's website. I shipped to Panurgy April 9. I received the repaired unit from Panurgy April 17. I received my unit with repairs (same s/n). I used the original box to mail to Panurgy. As per various warnings, I did not receive the same box back. The Repair Description is "Repaired HDMI Board." Part Number 236810089504S. Part Description "IC P13HDMI1310-AZLE." I installed the AVR, used the web interface to reload my config file, and all appears to be working just fine--so far the problems with video out appear to be gone. I can see the GUI and source video on the TV. Status quo ante achieved.
post #9325 of 10496 Old 04-09-2012, 06:01 PM

I sold my 60" Sharp LCD. The motion jutter on certain channels was unbearable. I found myself watching TV in the bedroom on my old 50" Vizio plasma. I'm replacing the Sharp with a Panasonic 60" 3D plasma (ST30). It's a 2011 model, so I got it at a good price. Is there anything special I need to do to set up the AVR for 3D? I looked in the manual, and it bearly mentions 3D. I understand that the gui won't overlay a 3D feed. Instead, it will replace the 3D feed, similar to how it does when conversion is turned off, right? Does anyone have any suggestions for using the Denon with a 3D capable set? I don't know the first thing about 3D. Also, I have the highest rated Monoprice HDMI cables. Do you think those will be good enough?
post #9326 of 10496 Old 04-10-2012, 03:22 AM
585-645-1006

^^
There's no difference between 2D or 3D as far as the AVR is concerned (other than as you note, the GUI will not display over 3D video) as it is an HDMI 1.4 AVR. As far as the cable is concerned, doesn't matter if it's your old HDMI 1.3 cables from year's ago or HDMI 1.4, as long as they are rated "High Speed" they will pass 1080p video, regardless of whether 2D or 3D.

post #9327 of 10496 Old 04-13-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCab View Post

R I tried everything suggested and I *think* the thing that finally made it work for good was assigning a static ip address outside of the normal range of dynamically assigned ip's.

As others have pointed-out, static IP must always be assigned outside of the range of dynamically-assigned IPs.

I only assign static IPs as a last resort. I currently don't. All of my devices (computers, iPhone, iPad, AV equipment) uses DHCP, but I set-up static leases. (I use OpenWRT on my router.)

Dynamic IPs are used only by guests or new equipment for which I've not yet set-up a static lease.

This way you get the best of both worlds - a consistent IP, with setup using DHCP. No chance of screwing things up by assigning the same IP to two devices.

Only reason to assign a static IP would be if a device has a flakey DHCP client.
post #9328 of 10496 Old 04-15-2012, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
My 3311CI needs servicing as I'm hearing an extremely loud noise in the right surround channel, I've cross checked my speakers and cables and know that they are fine the noise moves to any speaker that I patch into the right surround channel, I've had it in for service at the factory denon facility in NJ, Panurgy OEM, and they sent it back to me saying they couldn't find anything wrong, in their defense I plugged it in and it worked for about a week and a half with no noise problem, but this morning it's back. I've tried resetting this several times the last time around and it didn't help, since I know it requires service how can I ensure that the service folks actually do fix the problem. The unit is still under warranty, is there something that Denon can do help matters? Thanks for your replies as I've never been a repair / service limbo like this before other than with cars.
post #9329 of 10496 Old 04-15-2012, 11:55 AM
585-645-1006

^^
You need to get to the point where the issue is repeatable every time, otherwise the repair facility has nothing to repair. Try unplugging the AVR overnight and see if that resolves the problem.

post #9330 of 10496 Old 04-15-2012, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imws View Post

My 3311CI needs servicing as I'm hearing an extremely loud noise in the right surround channel, I've cross checked my speakers and cables and know that they are fine the noise moves to any speaker that I patch into the right surround channel, I've had it in for service at the factory denon facility in NJ, Panurgy OEM, and they sent it back to me saying they couldn't find anything wrong, in their defense I plugged it in and it worked for about a week and a half with no noise problem, but this morning it's back. I've tried resetting this several times the last time around and it didn't help, since I know it requires service how can I ensure that the service folks actually do fix the problem. The unit is still under warranty, is there something that Denon can do help matters? Thanks for your replies as I've never been a repair / service limbo like this before other than with cars.

I would give Denon a call and see what they can do for you? Or go to the online support and see if they will swap it out since it has already been in for service and is still faulty. It sounds electrical.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 3311ci Receiver , Denon , Receivers Amplifiers
Gear in this thread - 3311ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page